MIT student blogger Chris M. '12

Sunrise by Chris M. '12

If a picture is worth a thousand words (minus inflation), that makes this post much longer.

IAP, for those who are just tuning in, is one of the greatest times to be at MIT. It’s all the geek-culture, learning cool things, without so much of the “frak it’s 4am and I don’t understand the material I have a test over in 5 hours”. IAP in fact stands for “It’s Awesome. Period”.

Anyway, my sleep schedule is still experiencing a phase shift, which means I’m usually awake before the sun rises. During the year, the sunrise is sort of an unpleasant experience, it means you’re running out of time studying and you won’t get to sleep much. But I’ve really been enjoying seeing the sunrise over the past week or so– it’s peaceful and usually stunning. So without further ado, I give you “sunrise from my room”:

It's like living in a painting, every day

full size available here:
http://web.mit.edu/~ccmills/Public/Sunrise12210HDR-2.jpg

32 responses to “Sunrise”

1. Gina says:

Looks stunning! Which halls, if you don’t mind me asking?

2. Vytautas says:

Nice pic!
    You know, the in the place where I study (I applied to MIT twice…) there is a student town called “Sulƒótekis”, which means “Sunrise”. And a half year ago I actually got the meaning of it – being awake while the sun beautifully glances through the window at your textbook. It’s awesome.

3. Brad says:

I had similar urges as Amethyst lol. So i’ll make it my background as well. Kind of like my own little connection to MIT for the while. Very good picture. Kudos

4. Landon says:

That image is taking forever to load. I believe this is why “4432px √ó 2144px (scaled to 600px √ó 290px)”

5. Chris M says:

hmm, ok. I thought the resize would be quicker, but I guess not. I’ll upload a pre-scaled version. Sit tight for a 5 minutes.

6. @Chris M: Hope you don’t mind, and I will take it off if you do, but I took one look at that picture and within 3 seconds had set it as my desktop background smile

7. Rishi says:

This is seriously the view?! No Photoshop?

8. genius ('18) says:

THAT IS SOOO AWESOME!!!!! You should enter it in a contest or something-it would easily win first place!

PS: @Rishi on January 22, 2010 11:55 PM
    WHOA-that is awesome! I have the same name, yet I post under this pseudonym! I did not know there was a another Rishi on this site besides me (and the one that was admitted in early action-unless you are him…) Is thare some particular thing about rishis applying to MIT? LOL.

9. FuLanKe says:

Sunrise: Image=Amazing.Period! smile

10. Quynh says:

that is the reason why i want to go to mit smile

11. Masod says:

@Chris M, that is an awesome picture. I love sunrise (primarily in the summer I set my alarm to wake up early and observe the sunrise)
    Thank you for providing the link for the full size master piece photography of yours.

12. Chrism says:

@Amethyst
    No I certainly don’t mind.

@Rishi
    No photoshop. Just a good camera and good luck.

I’m glad you guys like it. =)

Sunrise is my favorite time.

Unfortunately, I keep seeing it from the wrong side O.O

14. Morteza says:

It’s very amazing.
    Sorry, which part of the city this picture is?

15. Zeki('14?) says:

Just Thank you…

16. Ammar'14 says:

Amazing scene!
    Out of curiosity, which dorm were you in at the time ?
    I can see the dome on the left side and so it’s a west-campus dorm, and I think I’m seeing Kresge Auditorium and a few play fields. The J.B. Carr Indoor Tennis court is in the front.
    So I’d say … Simmons ?

17. Dimitris says:

Wow! awesome picture!

18. D says:

^Seconded. One more reason to love MIT.

Why is this school so cool? So now I know that it also happens to be one of the coolest places to view the sunrise. What else? Could MIT get any better? I don’t think so.

20. Parthivi says:

Its really awesome

Off topic
    @chris
    Your second post “Tale of the Midnight Tool! “, had really a gr8 impact on me
    I am really thankfull for that coz
    I started solving my doubts on my own and studying throughout the midnight with full enthusiasm
    Thanx once again

Sry for an off topic comment!

21. This gives me one more reason why I love MIT, and also gives me one more reason to be sad when I don’t get in.

22. O'Malley says:

@ Rishi: It isn’t necessarily photoshopped, but it is HDR (High Dynamic Range). It’s composed of multiple photos taken with different settings that are then “reassembled” by software. Link to the wiki: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/High_dynamic_range_imaging. Correct me if I’m wrong, but HDR is included in the image URL. Makes for some amazing images!

Regards,
    O’Malley

23. Chris M. says:

@O’Malley
    You’re correct about the HDR technique, but the presence of HDR in the URL is an artifact of the way my pictures were named upon import. I shot a bunch of different photos that morning, and some were setup to merge to HDR later. I.e. some photos have HDR tags that were actually just single shots.

I /think/ you’re right though, and this was the product of one of the HDR shots. The HDR didn’t turn out drastically different than the single exposures, but since this was my favorite of the set, I think it’s reasonable to believe it was one of the real HDRs. I could go back and check the EXIF data, but I’m not that motivated.

24. O'Malley says:

@ Chris
    I was in no way trying to belittle your photo. HDR is just a really neat technique. Thank you for the reply!

O’Malley

25. O'Malley says:

@ Chris
    It was not my intent to be critical. HDR is just a really neat technique. I appreciate the quick response.

O’Malley

26. Chris M. says:

Oh no problem! I in no way took your comment to be critical or belittling, and if I seemed criticized or belittled then that’s a miscommunication. I just wanted to get all the info out.

27. buy r4 ds says:

Hey it is fantastic image and place. Thanks for giving image to us…

28. Armin says:

@Chris
    Speaking of pictures, I liked your early blog banner much more. Wider smile wink
    Sunrise picture is awesome.

29. Chris says:

@Armin
    I know. I absolutely hate that picture, but c’est la vie I suppose. Maybe I’ll change it some time.

30. so..umm……….dyou live in Simmons???