Apr 3, 2008

The CPW LiveBlogging Project

Posted in: Life & Culture

As you've likely read, Snively, Paul, and Bryan will be hosting a variety of prefrosh guest bloggers during CPW. This has been done in the past with great success, and I'm looking very forward to this year's entries!

I've decided to add to the CPW coverage by creating a CPW tumblr account. For those of you who are unfamiliar with tumblr, it's a great site that basically allows you to upload photos and thoughts to the web in real time, using your cell phone. If just 10% of the prefrosh currently registered for CPW each upload 5 texts and/or photos over the course of the weekend, that'll be 500+ snapshots. Seems like a pretty cool way to live-blog CPW from a variety of perspectives.

If you're interested in being part of the project, please send me an email (benjones at mit dot edu). I'll need to confirm that you're really who you say you are, of course, so if we haven't met before, please write to me from whichever email account you used to register for your MyMIT account so I can verify it.

Disclaimer: if something goes horribly wrong with this experiment, I'll have to pull the site. But let's give it a shot and see what happens.

CPW begins one week from today!

Jess Kim.

(Just seemed like a cooler first post than "first.")

Posted by: Ben on April 3, 2008

second?

Posted by: Sammi on April 3, 2008

I'm SO EXCITED!

Posted by: 0 on April 3, 2008

I hadn't previously heard of this tumblr thing , but it sounds pretty cool. CPW ftw

Posted by: Chris on April 3, 2008

I sooo wish I could go to CPW, but I was waitlisted. Now I'm sad again. Oh well, I hope everyone has an awesome time. =)

Posted by: Andrea on April 3, 2008

I'm SO excited for CPW!!! And this liveblog is gonna be priceless for people who can't be there. Less than a week!

Posted by: Tamara on April 3, 2008

This is an awesome idea. Woo liveblogs!

Posted by: Shannon on April 3, 2008

This is such a good idea! Good job, Ban.

Posted by: Christina on April 3, 2008

Sounds awesome! I will send you an email when I get home. I have a QWERTY keyboard phone .. so .. I might be a little verbose. I'll also need to remeber to tone down my phone's resolution cause you can't send 2MP pics over SMS (this might be a good idea for other people with higher-tech camera phones)

~Donald

Posted by: donaldGuy on April 3, 2008

CPW sounds awesome, bad I couldn't make it into the Class of 2012... But hey, I'll try next year... I just need to raise my SATs!!

...

(kidding)... Anyway, Ben, you seem to be a big fan off JKim. raspberry

Posted by: Eirik on April 3, 2008

I'm with Andrea: CPW sounds so awesome...except we have a tiny problem: I'm in waitlist purgatory. Oh well. I'm crossing my fingers for May!!

Posted by: Prerna on April 3, 2008

tumblr!! <3

p.s. ben jones.

Posted by: Jess on April 3, 2008

Very neat idea! I'm in grin

Posted by: Omar '12 on April 3, 2008

Beware people, you will be stalked ! So you better do good things, I'm like quality insurance lol ^^'

Posted by: Isshak on April 3, 2008

Awesome idea, especially for those of us who won't be able to make it!

Posted by: Dima '12 on April 3, 2008

Great idea! Is there any way to participate without a cell phone? (Not sure if I will have one with me.)

Posted by: Cathy '12 on April 3, 2008

Tumblelogs >>>> WordPress, Blogger, Xanga, LJ, the list goes on...

Posted by: Q '12 on April 3, 2008

I love tumblr smile

Posted by: Emily on April 3, 2008

my phone does not have a camera in it, will a digital camera work as well?

Posted by: Jeremy on April 3, 2008

It's going to work ...and I agree with Dima '12. 8-)

Posted by: Tanmay '12 on April 3, 2008

José Pac!

Oh, yeah, played the trump card! Try not to salivate too much, people. raspberry

*Awaits the awesome liveblogging/tumbling.*

Posted by: José P. on April 3, 2008

That is an awesome idea!!

Posted by: milena '11 on April 4, 2008

I'm really, really excited about this (because I can't come to CPW). Take LOTS of pictures everyone!

Posted by: 0 on April 4, 2008

@ Cathy - you'll be able to send text posts from an email account if you'd like - not sure about photos though.

@ Jeremy - unfortunately a digital camera won't work, but you should definitely contribute to the guest blogs that Snively, Bryan, and Paul are putting together!

Posted by: Ben on April 4, 2008

Blackberry should work, right?

Posted by: Dustin on April 4, 2008

@ Cathy: you can email photos, just put the caption in the header.

@ Jeremy: a digital camera will work if you can upload the pictures to your computer first, then upload the pictures to Tumblr. Or you can have Tumblr point to a URL, if it's something online. It's pretty flexible!

Posted by: Jess on April 4, 2008

@Ben and Jess: Thanks for the info; I hope to participate!

Posted by: Cathy '12 on April 4, 2008

on an average , how long does it take int students to get an F 1 visa?

Posted by: 0 on April 5, 2008

As the Chair of the Senior House Statutory Committee, I have to approve of such a photoblog.

Posted by: Timur on April 9, 2008