The Human Factor And String Theory by Ben Jones

Two links to start your weekend.

Stu, Matt, Nance, Daniel and I are all down in NYC for the College Board Conference with a gazillion other admissions professionals. Things are pretty busy by day, but at night we’ve been heading to this sports bar that Matt discovered which is so pro-red-sox that it’s almost like being in Boston or Cambridge. Sortof surreal to experience that in Manhattan, but I’m not complaining. That’s one of the things I love about New York – you can find every single kind of person here, even Red Sox fans.

This trip will conclude my fall travel season, so I’ll get back to blogging more frequently in November. In the meantime, here are a couple of links to tide you over:

• First, The Human Factor is a video that MIT has developed for its new Campaign For Students, a big fundraising campaign that will take us through the years leading up to our 150th anniversary. The video was designed to remind alums of all the reasons they love MIT, but I thought you guys might enjoy it as well. I definitely did – I think it’s pretty brilliant.
  • Second, I recently came across this contest that Brian Greene put together, to see who could best explain string theory in two minutes or less. (Note that one of the people in the viewer’s choice winning video is wearing an MIT sweatshirt. :-)

Only a few more days remain before the EA deadline. Best of luck to all of you who are finishing up your EA applications!

13 responses to “The Human Factor And String Theory”

1. Nihar says:

Hi Ben!
    Comments on the Human Factor video? Amazing. Sums up the essence of life at MIT doesnt it? To be a part of it….WOW!

By the way, if you had to make a choice, which ONE of those qualities would you say is common to every MIT-ian? I know you would think that its always more of a combination, but IF you had to choose one? smile

I really like the Human Factor video. It’s so cool to see a such diverse student group.
    And good luck to anyone else also applying early on their applications!

3. Marissa says:

That Human Factor video was awesome! I keep finding new reasons to love MIT.

The video….Amazing.

5. Hunter '11 says:

Delete my previous (blank) post, please? Sorry about that. Anyway, loved the vid. Tell those College Board people to lower prices! (What does happen at the meeting, or is that secret?)

GO RED SOX! And good luck to EA applicants.

Hi, those two minute string theory explanations are very cool! thanks for the link.
    I don’t mean to be off topic, but I have a question about my application and I don’t know where else to ask. I submitted my application, but I just realized that I forgot to put in my revised activity descriptions and the descriptions that are there now have a few typos/are less well worded than the ones that are there now. Is there anything I can do to remedy this? Could I mail in a separate page with my activity descriptions on it? Thank you!! and sorry to be off topic!

7. Jessica says:

Ahah! (Sigh of understanding)!
    If only I would’ve heard of this video before reading The Elegant Universe— the ducky makes everything so much easier ☺

sorry – meant to say “than the ones that I wanted to put in” not “than the ones that are there now”

9. Rodrigo says:

AS I watched the video, I saw simplicity combined with complex minds.

hey…does 1840 need another try!!????

11. Sad says:

Its been 2 months since I gave the Toefl(25 August) and MIT hasnt yet recieved it!!!!!What shud I do????????

I just submitted my application BUT I found one mistake…I put 2007 instead of 2006 :[
    Do you think if I call the admissions office, they can change it for me?

Ahhh I’m like dying here X[

I got a 570 in critical reading on satI but a 108 on 120 in teofl iBT….do you think my TOEFL scores will cover up for my CR??
    THANKSSS A TON!!