The MIT Midyear Report by Matt McGann '00

Applicants should submit this form ASAP, by February 15th.

The MIT Midyear Report is now available! You can fill it out now at http://my.mit.edu.

Complete your MIT Midyear Report now.

The MIT Midyear Report is an online form that is required of all students, and is to be completed by you, the applicant. The Report serves two purposes: to provide your updated grades since you have applied, and to mention other updates since you submitted your application. Please submit this form as soon as your midyear grades are available or by February 15th, whichever is earlier.

Some notes:

• The Midyear Report is an online form that is to be completed by every student being considered for Regular Action admission (thus, RA applicants — including international students — and EA deferreds). The Midyear Report should also be completed by students who were accepted during Early Action.

• The Midyear Report is to be completed by you, the applicant.

• You should complete the Report as soon as possible after completion of the fall semester or second quarter (if your school uses a trimester schedule, please use your first trimester grades).

• Even if you have no midyear grades to report, you should still complete the Midyear Report. Note that there is also an option in the Report for students whose schools do not provide any midyear grades, homeschooled students, and students already out of school.

• You do not need to have a hardcopy of your updated transcript sent by your school, and even if your school has sent a hardcopy transcript, you are still required to submit the MIT Midyear Report.

• The MIT Midyear Report is different than the Common Application Midyear Report. The Common App MYR which is filled out by your counselor and sent to Common Application schools. The MIT Midyear Report is to be filled out by you, the applicant, online via your MyMIT Tracking.

• The MIT Midyear Report serves two purposes:

1. to get your updated grades since you have applied (“Midyear Grades”).
      2. to get any other updates since you submitted your application (“Midyear Updates”).

• The Midyear Grades form has fields for your to report your coursework and grades. This is similar to the Self-Reported Coursework Form from the Part 2 of the application, except that we’re only looking for current year courses and grades. And we’re only looking for this from students with something to report — so if you’re in a school that doesn’t have midyear grades, or you’ve already graduated, don’t worry, you’re all set — you will be able to skip this section.

• The Midyear Updates form is a simple text box, similar to an essay response box from the Part 2. The Midyear Update has a maximum of 250 words.

• We are happy to accept a midyear/updated transcript from your school/counselor, or the Common App Midyear Report form. However, even if your school/counselor submits a transcript, you still are required to complete the online MIT Midyear Report.

• The MIT Midyear Report is due by February 15.

We’ve been getting a number of questions about the Midyear Grades section of the form. Here are some quick tips:

• For most of you, this will be pretty straightforward. You’ll take your transcript, then write the course name in one box, and your semester/trimester grade in the corresponding box. For example:

• While we ask for you to keep the grades column as pristine as possible, feel free to add some extra info in the “Subjects taken” box. For example:

BiologyA+
      AP CalculusA-
      EnglishA+
      HistoryB+
      Spanish 4B

…or…

BC Calculus89
      IB Chemistry HL97
      British Literature95
      Japanese100
      Economics (EPGY)A-
      HealthPass

• In the “Grades” box, please list only grades and not narrative text. For example, it is sufficient to write “B+” rather than “B+ (Final grade)” or “B+ (online course).” Also, you don’t need to write “Currently enrolled,” “Just started,” or “Spring semester;” it will be, in many cases, better to leave it blank.

Organic Chemistry (via dual enrollment at BHCC)A-
      AP Chemistry (self study / MIT OCW)
      Chemistry (auditing; not taking for a grade)
      Chemistry Honors (Spring Semester)

• If your transcript provides quarter grades but not a semester grade, you should list both quarter grades. For example:

BiologyA, A-

…or…

AP Economics96 / 92

• If your transcript provides quarter grades and a midterm exam grade but no semester grade, you should list the quarter grades and the midterm exam grade. (Do not create your own midyear grade by averging these grades or any other mechanism. You should report what your school reports.)

For example:

AP ChemistryA / A- / A

…or…

Theory of Knowledge6+, 7, 7

• If your school uses a trimester schedule, please use your first trimester grades. We know that in most cases, your second trimester grades will not be available for a while. You can note in the Midyear Updates box that you are reporting first trimester grades, and also when your second trimester grades will be available.

• Some schools — including many international schools — have no concept of “midyear grades.” This is okay. You can ignore the text boxes and simply choose the option, “I attend a school that does not provide midyear grades.”

• Some schools will not release midyear grades until after the Midyear Report deadline of February 15th. This is okay. You should choose the option “Semester grades will be available on ______________________ and I will mail or fax them to you at that time.”

• Some of you have graduated already and have no new grades to report. You should choose the option, “I’m not currently attending school; MIT has all of my grades.”

I’ll also try to field any other questions you may have in the comments.

• 61 responses to “The MIT Midyear Report”

1. Awesome post, answered just about everything I would’ve wanted to ask and spared no details. This should be linked to in future years rather than rewritten.

Thanks for the constant involvement with the applicants Matt!

2. Okon says:

My regular, not honors, English teacher finally told me I had failed a unit test on the Canterbury Tales–we took it in December, before vacation! This was the only large test of the term, and it was ALL memorization. No critical thinking, just filling in blanks with memorized characteristics of each and every pilgrim… as if it were history class–just replace history with fiction.

First in my life, a C. I can almost spell BACK with my grades now.

I’m really stressed out. Is this the end?

3. nOOb says:

Can we submit just additional “chill” essays?

4. Lee says:

I thought chris posted somewhere (either here or on college confidential) that students accepted ea did not have to submit their mid year reports

5. Lee says:

6. Floki says:

What if our grading system is different, how will we fill out the report??
      I have 14 obligatory subjects and I receive grades from 1-5 on their completion …

7. Anthony says:

“Know any good jokes or have a favorite inspirational quotation instead?”
      I love it.

8. @nOOb

Yeah, that’s a good question. Can we be more “laid back” on the mid year report essay?

9. sungy says:

Hi, Matt. I submitted my Midyear report about a week or two ago. And in my MIT dashboard, I see that all materials have been submitted except my secondary school report and transcript. I am very certain that I have sent these in the mail along with evaluations A and B. I was wondering if it takes time for admission officers to process the secondary report and transcript.

10. sean says:

@Floki
      where are you from?

11. Saeed says:

Dear Matt,
      As an international student who is taking ALEVEL course and doesn’t have a midterm report. Is it possible to send GCE Alevel external exam grades (came out yesterday) instead of midterm report?!
      Thanks and Regards, Saeed wink

12. Nikita says:

I have the same question as Li Yiru. Do I need to write a 250 word essay or will just a quotation/joke suffice?

13. Hello,

I have submitted my midyear report yesterday. In my updates information, I wrote my family situations, not about me, that have a great impact during these days. Is it OK?

14. Matt '00 says:

@Okon: What’s done is done. No reason to stress. And yes, we have admitted students who have a C on their transcript before.

@nOOb: I don’t think an essay is your best bet here. But you can update us with whatever you think might be interesting.

@Lee: He may have, but that was my mistake and not his. EA admits will have to submit the MYR.

@Floki: We are familiar with many different grading systems. And since you have 14 subjects, you could either squeeze subjects in which you received the same grade onto one line, or use the updates box as overflow.

@Thomas Z: I wouldn’t approach it as an essay at all. But laid back? Yes.

@sungy: You will have to resubmit the transcript (we have your SSR). We will be sending out an email shortly to students who are missing parts of their application.

@Saeed: Yes, those are new grades, we want to see them.

@beto: You can fax it to us using the cover sheet in your MyMIT account.

@Observer: Perfect!

@Frank: Yes, waiting until the 10th sounds like a good idea.

@Li: You can leave the updates section blank, many students do.

@Amir Reza: Your MYR looks fine.

@Carmela: Submit the 3rd quarter grades.

@Nikita: A joke is fine. We really aren’t looking for another “essay.”

@Thura: Yes, that is very good.

15. nOOb says:

Thanks Matt!

Forgot to say this before, but excellent post!

Now I’ll come up with a ‘chill’ joke instead.

16. beto says:

Hello Matt, I recently received an additional letter of recommendation from a State Representative. Can I send this letter scanned via email or via fax? Or is it to late for the committee to review with my application?
      Thank you.

17. Floki says:

@sean
      I’m from Bosnia

18. Floki says:

Thank you Matt, your reply was very helpful!!

19. beto says:

I was not able to locate the Cover sheet. Where can I go and find?
      Thanks smile

20. James says:

Matt, my school doesn’t show the midyear grades in the final-year transcript that I’m going to send if I’m accepted, meaning that MIT won’t be able to validate my online midyear grades as correct (which you say you will do.) Should I send in the mid-year transcript now by mail? I won’t be able to do so at the end of the year so you won’t be able to see them.

My counselor suggested that he mention that the scores I send in are valid (after he looks them over) on this supplementary rec. he’s going to fax in at the end of the week.

What do you suggest?

21. Andrea c says:

Hi!

my school for certain main subjects gives us separately grades from oral tests and grades from written tests. So for example in my midyear grades i’ll have 2 math grades(oral and written) but only one of art.
      How can i put it on the midyear report??

Thank you

22. Saeed says:

Thank you so much smile

23. Observer says:

Dear Matt,
      I’m graduated from high school but I’m currently self-studying some advanced courses. Can I list the courses without any grades?

Like: Advanced Chemistry(self-study)/–

24. Frank says:

Hello Matt,
      I am participating in Academic Decathlon and the awards night is February 10th and I am wondering if I should wait until the 10th to send in the midyear report to include any possible awards from that event or just send my midyear grades now and possibly send an update later with any possible awards. Thanks for your help. It is very appreciated.

25. Li Yiru says:

“Know any good jokes or have a favorite inspirational quotation instead?”. Do I need to write any essay with 250 words since there is no updates for me?

26. Amir Reza says:

Hi,
      In our school all of the scores are out of 20,I typed those scores in My MIT account but near each score I also wrote a letter like A+ or B near each number and that letter was just my guess,I just wanted to tell you that in some other countries still the scores are out of 20 like my country and tell you that this translation is not that precise.Thanks!

27. Carmela says:

Hi Matt,
      Our school year begins in June and ends in March. We have a quarterly grade system, so I submitted my 1st and 2nd quarter grades with the application. Should I submit my 3rd quarter grades (which were just made available yesterday) for the Midyear Report or does this count as a system with “no concept of midyear grades”?
      Thank you!

28. Matt '00 says:

@beto: On your MyMIT homepage, click on “Application Forms” on the left hand side. You’ll see the link to the MIT Supplemental Document Cover Sheet.

@James: Your counselor’s suggestion is fine.

@Andrea: I would list both, and in the updates box note that the first (or second) grade is the oral, and the second (or first) is the written. As for art, we’ll figure it out.

@PC: You should list your first two marking period grades from your report card. We can follow up with your school directly at the end of the year for validation.

@Thuy Tien: I’m sorry, I don’t know; you should direct these questions to the kind folks in the financial aid office.

29. PC says:

I have the same problem as James; my transcript won’t show my grades from each marking period. Rather, my transcript grades are only averages of the 4 marking period grades and the final for each of my classes. Also, unlike James, my school does not offer a “mid-year transcript”; the grades for my current classes are blank on my transcript until the final average at the end of the year is calculated. I will, however, receive a report card with my first two marking period grades. Should I submit that for MIT to validate my MYR or will the end of the year average be sufficient?

30. Hello,

Thank you so much! Your answers are really helpful for all of us. It is today that my dashboard shows I have completed all of my requirements. The application fee request and transcript are later marked, although all of the documents are sent in the same package. It really makes me feel nervous. Finally I have applied MIT. Now, it is our turn to wait for your decisions, hee hee!

31. James says:

Matt –
      Will this eliminate the need for checking up with my school directly at the end of the year? Because I don’t think they keep detailed term records, just final year averages. Don’t want this to be a problem in the off-chance that I’m accepted.

32. XR3 says:

Hi Matt!

My school does not give us the authority to submit Mid Year Report and issues all year mid reports through the counselor. What should i do in this case?

Thank you for the help!

33. Nikita says:

Thanks, Matt!

34. Ceesay says:

And yes, we have admitted students who have a C on their transcript before.
      Wow, does that mean that applicants with more than a C(say 2,3,8 or more Cs) are out of the picture? Really stressful.

35. LateReco says:

Hi Matt
      I’m an international student. I’v already graduated from school, so i couldn’t manage recommendations from my teachers. Instead, i asked my boss to write a recommendation for me. He’s taking a lot of time as he’s quite busy.I’m afraid it’s already past the 26th Jan. I know he’ll write it, that’s not an issue, only that he’ll delay it. So should i mail it to MIT , or should i fax it ?? will it be accepted if it reaches in the first week of Feb?

36. LateReco says:

Hi Matt

37. Ceesay says:

A little off topic, but I was just contacted by admissions to fax in my missing application components with included the teacher evaluations and my transcript. Should I fax them with the cover sheet? As I have already sent the originals, should I just request the photocopies from my teachers and send them in(I really doubt they’ll be happy to fill in the same evaluation forms). By the way, compliments to the admission staff for sorting through a huge pile of mail in such a short time. You guys are really dedicated.

38. Thuy Tien says:

Dear Matt,
      I am wring to ask about the International Student Financial Aid Application. As I know, the deadline is February 15, there is possibility that I can’t get the International Student Financial Aid Application on time since I’m living in the U.S. and my parents are living in Vietnam. Can my parents sign it and scan it to me, then I print, sign, and scan it to you?

39. Thuy Tien says:

Dear Matt,
      I have one more question, can the Internationa Student Financial Aid Application be changed into Word Document and type? Does the form have to be adobe and hand writing?

40. Jay says:

Hi Matt,
      How much weight does the midyear report carry on GPA or academic record?
      How are the midyear grades factored into the evaluation process?
      Thanks

41. Katie says:

Hi Matt!

Sorry to add to the flood of questions :(

I was considering sending in a video supplement concerning leadership in my main extracurricular activity to my application. Running time would not exceed five-ish minutes. Would this be acceptable or helpful to the admissions office?

Also, what about a supplemental recommendation from a coach?

Thank you very much smile

@Okon: We read Canterbury Tales in our junior year at my school as part of Brit Lit. Strange how different curriculum is. But chin up! The MIT essays will show that you can formulate and express an opinion.
      @Observer: You must watch Fringe ^_^

43. Eoin says:

Dear Matt,

You used as an example in your article (which was very helpful, thanks!)”AP Chemistry (self study / MIT OCW)”. I am currently self-studying linear algebra, but my school has a policy of not officially recognizing independent studies until the third trimester of my senior year. Can I or should I still write something like “Linear Algebra (self study / textbook name and author / MIT OCW”?

Thank you for taking the time to answer all these comments!
      Eoin

44. Ryan says:

Dear Matt,
      Is it ok if we include a link in the Midyear report to a website that demonstrates what we have been up to since last sending in our applications?

45. Ceesay says:

It is registered on MyMit tracking page that my missing documents are the evaluations A and B, ssr, and transcript. Admissions informed me that the missing docs are eval A and B and the transcript. So, should I send in the ssr? Or has admissions already received it? I also included the results of my external exam (wassce) In the original package I mailed, should I fax it too? It was included as part of the ssr (test results).

46. Jeremy says:

Dear Matt,
      Everything in my application has been processed. I have one recommendation from a close family friend of mine who has known me for almost all of my life that has not been received. I wanted to send it to give more information about me from another perspective.
      If my recommender attached a cover sheet and faxed it on monday, would it still be acceptable for the admissions committee to review?
      Please let me know
      Best,
      -Jeremy

47. Jeremy says:

Dear Matt,
      Please let me know
      Best,
      -Jeremy

48. Sir,
      I study in India. We do not have a GPA system here.So what should I do about the GPA related questions in the application forms?
      P.S. I am aware of the fact that the deadline has passed.I am applying for entrance in 2012.
      Thank you.

49. Bhaskar says:

@lakshya You can leave the GPA field blank

50. Brenda says:

Hmm… am in a bit of a fix… I am an international student ( applying from Kenya) and when my teachers sent their recommendations, they did not make copies of them.. A few days ago, I was sent an email saying they still haven’t arrived, yet I sent them more than a month ago…is that ‘goodbye MIT’ or is there some sort of hope?

51. Bhaskar says:

@Matt That was exactly I wanted to say about GPA’s.Hey also the finaid docs tracking is still not available on MyMIT.The website says they should have been available in january but the financial aid office told me that it would be there by february end or march beginning.Please make the correction.

52. Dear Matt,

I applied for EA and I was differed and I have already completed my mid year report. Then I realized that I did not state the classes that I’m doing independent study on, nor did I send documentation of my internship and continued research with the Health Department.

What do you recommend I do?

Thank You,
      Mohamad Mohamad

53. @ bhaskar: how do you know?
      and i trust Matt more on this (no offence,but you understand don’t you) smile

^ ’cause he’s a an applicant of class 2015. Plus he’s a senior of yours. (no offense; but, you understand. Don’t you?)

55. Bhaskar says:

@anonymous Cool down man.Let negativity come.Take it’s positive side.

@lakshya Hope you got ur answr.Even matt would answer the same.

@mohammed Just mail the admissions office at [email protected] stating all you updates along with your first name,last name and date of birth.It would be fine.No worries.Gud luck

56. Matt '00 says:

@James: It won’t be a problem.

@XR3: You can fill out the form on MyMIT. You have the authority to do this.

@LateReco: Fax it.

@Ceesay: I would resend everything (including the SSR) with the cover sheet.

@Jay: Grades are important, and we certainly will factor in any updates you provide.

@Ryan: Yes, absolutely.

@Katie: We might be able to review it, but at this point there are no guarantees.

@Jeremy: We might be able to review it, but at this point there are no guarantees.

@Lakshya: There are no questions for the student about GPA. There are questions about GPA for school officials, and presumably they will know to simply leave these blank. Thousands of our applicants have no GPA, so don’t worry.

@Mohamad: Feel free to send additional updates to [email protected].

57. Shahriar says:

Dear Matt ,

In my transcript , my A-Level school has given grades for Terms 1 , 2 ,3 and 4 for each of my 4 A-Level subjects. However, I also see that they have given grades for Terms 1, 2 , 3 and 4 for Further Mathematics. My confusion lies in the fact that Further Mathematics was taught in my school from November 2009 to May 2010 , and I was only able to give the school exams of only two modules (out of six) of Further Mathematics in January 2010 , because I had gotten seriously ill during the following months and had to be admitted to hospital.

Therefore, is it helpful to the Admissions committee if I mention this in my Midyear Report ?
      Because it seems that my Further Mathematics grades for Terms 2,3 and 4 came out of the blue.

P.S : I graduated from school in June 2010

58. FarhanN5 says:

Hey Matt,

In my Part 2 of the application I had written about things that I do and create as part of my hobby. However I did not provide any evidence of my work, such as proving a URL of photos of what I do.

I never took any photos but I can recreate my work (yup, I equally like to disassemble stuffs), take new photos, upload them and paste a URL in my midyear.

Do you think I should do so? Or is it too late to validate the things I mentioned in Part 2 and that it wont make a difference in the admission decision?

Please do advise me on this as recreating will delay the Mid year submission.

59. Ceesay says:

Hello Matt,
      I faxed my missing documents on the 31st of January but it is not indicated in my account that they have been processed. Should I resend them? I sent them to 1-617-687-9184, is this the correct number or did I get it wrong?

60. Ceesay says:

Sorry Matt, I just checked my account and found that they were processed today. I guess I was just pretty worried.

Matt,

I submitted my mid-year eval online two days ago, but it’s not checked off in my account. Should I resubmit it and chalk it up to a computer glitch?

Sam