Mar 3, 2007

The Mystery Of The Missing Application Tracking Portlet

Posted in: Process & Statistics

I apologize for the confusion surrounding the removal of the Application Tracking portlet in MyMIT. The system is supposed to display a message explaining why the portlet is no longer there, but it's not showing up for some reason. I'll look into this when I'm back in the office.

The Application Tracking portlet is gone because it is now definitively too late in the process to submit additional or missing application components. (It was actually too late weeks ago - but our amazing records staff did an incredible job of processing things well beyond the deadline. On behalf of all of us, here's a big public thanks to them.)

So this is just a quick entry to let you all know that everyone's portlet has been removed, and it doesn't imply anything about individual decisions.

Now that the Application Tracking portlet has been turned off, use it as an excuse to let go of the process a little bit. You've done everything you can do, so try to have some fun in these next few weeks. Hang in there and try not to stress - there's nothing left to do but wait, and if all goes well, you'll know in 2 weeks and 53 minutes. :-)

[Edit: to respond to the questions about midyear grades, please don't worry. If we felt we needed to see midyear grades in order to make a decision, and they weren't in your file, we'd contact your school directly to get them.]

first post! go have fun, all other hopefuls!!

Posted by: Alyssa on March 3, 2007

uhh a year and 2 weeks until i find out if i got in or not :D good luck to all of you who applied wink and remember, world won't end if you don't get in wink

Posted by: Sh1fty on March 3, 2007

If my Midyear Report only appeared on the tracker a week ago, does that mean the admissions committee never even saw it?

Posted by: Herman on March 3, 2007

Oh god 2 weeks.

After waiting for months it shouldn't seem that long, but...

Posted by: Tim on March 3, 2007

I'm in kind of the same situation as Herman. I submitted my Mid-year grade report as soon as I could after I had my first semester grades (back in mid-January), but it never appeared in the portlet, so I gave them another one not too long ago. Did it make it to the committee?

Posted by: Daniel on March 3, 2007

woah!! Just two weeks, thats scary. Hope I get in. Good Luck to all!!

Posted by: AB on March 3, 2007

Probably did. Can't do anything about it now.. Anyways, all the best.

Posted by: AB on March 3, 2007

No worries about midyear grades. I added a paragraph at the end of the post to clarify.

Posted by: Ben on March 3, 2007

It looks like the message is fixed, I'm seeing
"Application tracking is no longer available for entry year 2007. Best of luck to all applicants!"

Good luck everyone, and thanks for the bit about mid-year grades, that makes me feel better. My school only just finished calculating rank last week

Posted by: Ben M on March 3, 2007

Posted by: Ben M on March 3, 2007

Thanks for all your encouragements.I'll try to have some fun because i'm a bit reasured

Posted by: Ebot on March 3, 2007

I remember this same time last year... I was soooo stressed...

Good luck to all the applicants and try not to stress too much, there's nothing else you can do now, so relax!

Posted by: Omar on March 3, 2007

Is it a good thing or a bad thing that my top choice is the first I hear from? After MIT, I wait more than a week until I hear from anyone else. It's kinda' a bad way too start getting decisions, either amazing super extraordinary news, or horrible depressing "oh God, what do I do now? What's my next choice?" news

Posted by: Elizabeth on March 3, 2007

Thanks for the update, Ben. Good luck to everybody hoping to get accepted! grin

Posted by: Daniel on March 3, 2007

well,

okay, is it a good thing or a bad thing that i haven't applied for any other schools????? i mean i ONLY applied to MIT!!

lol. I'm a total idiot HAHAHA
and i don't know what is funny. but that just makes me laugh...............well, of course i'm terrified .

Posted by: Amjad on March 3, 2007

you're quite a risk take amjad...good luck

Posted by: herman on March 3, 2007

Thank you so much for the update on the mid-year grade reports. i was in the same situation as Daniel. needless to say...i was getting a little frantic. haha

oh boy...2 weeks. excited, nervous. Best of luck to everyone!

Posted by: Jay on March 3, 2007

Ah! Man! This message makes me so eager to know. If i got in or not...

Posted by: Jigar on March 3, 2007

i'm really scared,
my sat scores didn't turn up on tracking and now i'll never know.
guess it's time to say bye.

Posted by: chrissie on March 3, 2007

Ahhh, two weeks! Well, good luck to all fellow applicants and to stop worrying, everyone go watch the lunar eclipse tonight. It's a full moon so it should be extra spectacular!

Posted by: Joti on March 3, 2007

geez.. this is "exciting" - like anxious exciting..
is there really a lunar eclipse tonight? does anyone know what time?

Posted by: theresa on March 3, 2007

Man. Wish I could do something about the anxiety that has started to build up. Pheeeww!! Who said 'the hardest part was over'? :(

Posted by: 0 on March 3, 2007

Hi Everybody !

There's a community at orkut :
MIT Aspirants Clas of 2011
I recommend you all to become a member of that community. It was started by Vishal Upadhayay, so search "Vishal Upadhayay", and then through his profile you can locate the community; otherwise it's very tough to locate the community.

Remember, as per Ben, even the bottom 10% of the applicants are "very impressive", which means that all of us are, "at least", very impressive, as per someone from MIT. I think that at-least-very-impressive minds should form a group, irrespective of the decisions.

PS: don't blame me for the wrong spelling of
the word "Class", in the community's name

Posted by: 0 on March 3, 2007

My Eval. B was never shown as being received. I talked to the person whom i asked to write it, and he said that he sent it. How can I find out whether he forgot to send it but thinks he did, or it just got lost in the mail for a while? Also, how would the absence of this evaluation letter impact my application?

Posted by: Titus on March 3, 2007

Good luck to everyone!

Posted by: Josh V on March 3, 2007

Argh...

Best I can express my feelings at the moment.

Posted by: 0 on March 3, 2007

I didn't have access to the Internet for about a week, and just found out that MyMIT Tracking page no longer works. I was pretty serene until now, but reading all these posts is starting to make me nervous. Hope we can all get in. Best of luck to everyone!

Posted by: Ja Hyun Cho on March 3, 2007

Hi thanks a lot for all the informations, my heart is still thrusting with my parents yelling at me to make good results at the HS.

:((

:((

Posted by: The madman who makes people fly on March 3, 2007

I'm glad I had submitted an application before my final high school year; 'twas practically almost hopeless, but at least I was ready for deadlines well in advance this year. Yay...

Posted by: Chandresh on March 3, 2007

Ahhh!

I'm also in the same situation as Elizabeth. MIT is my first choice and also the first school I hear from... I don't get decisions from anyone else until maybe end of March, the soonest.

MIT being first... good thing? Bad thing?? I don't know.

What I do know is that I'm totally freaked out to find out. I want to know, but then again, I don't. Yesterday, I was talking to my friend who also applied to MIT. We were joking that "now, all we have to do is wait for the rejection letters to come in..." Yeah, we were joking, but I can't help but feel that that might be the case.

But hey, gotta keep a positive outlook, yeah? We'll see what happens. Good luck guys!

Posted by: 0 on March 3, 2007

To quote you: "If we felt we needed to see midyear grades in order to make a decision..."

If I wanted to know if that was true in my case, whether my mid year reports were ever looked at...how can I find out?

Posted by: Jimmy on March 4, 2007

I'm sorry Jimmy, but I don't think you can. You see, if you were to send in a message, asking such a question, it would never reach the admissions committee for it is too late to send supplemental messages.

P.S. Does it really matter with two weeks left before decisions come out and them having been deciding for nearly 2 and a half weeks?

Posted by: Anonymous on March 4, 2007

Hmm My application status has not been updated yet. And yes I'm feeling the stress, international student, and with record high number of applicants this year... things aren't seeming to be too good.

Posted by: Cobra129 on March 4, 2007

THanks to the records staff indeed. My midyear showed up when I checked at lunch yesterday, and then the tracking was taken down when I tried to show my mom after school. Hope that snuck it there in time -_-

Good luck to all applicants (myself included)!
T-minus THanks to the records staff indeed. My midyear showed up when I checked at lunch yesterday, and then the tracking was taken down when I tried to show my mom after school. Hope that snuck it there in time -_-

T-minus < two weeks...

Posted by: RK on March 4, 2007

I do not know how you all are feeling, but as the deadline is approaching, Iam feeling a sudden flush of confidence in me....as the days are passing, iam getting a feeling that I will surely get in, like "Never say die" or "Nobody can stop me" thing......my brain says its competitive and mathematics support that fact, but I as a whole am tending to disagree.....I always become like that.....dont know why but as things come closer, the fear almost vanishes, may be thats the way I am....

MIT..wait for me.....here I come!

STOP ME IF YOU CAN....SMOKINNNNN.....IAM THE MASK!

Posted by: A guy who skydives.... on March 4, 2007

Wish everyone a HAPPY HOLI FESTIVAL !! Everyone celebrating, enjoy urself and let go of the stress for today.

Posted by: Hanna on March 4, 2007

Where are ya from hanna?

Posted by: The madman who makes people fly on March 4, 2007

thats a relief. sorry for submitting them 3 times.

Posted by: 0 on March 4, 2007

from Mauritius. Am not Hindu, if that's what u're asking. But, since we are a multicultural country, we celebrate festivals from almost all religions. from the chinese festival to Eid, Divali, Christmas & Holi etc However, the ONE festival i most regret we dont celebrate is Halloween :=( Thats the bestest festival in the WHOLE world. LOl.In my humble opinion. Where are U from , madman?

Posted by: Hanna on March 4, 2007

Hi! I have a quick question regarding sec. school grades: unfortunately it looks like i'm going to recieve a D in French (because i spend most of my time working with science and math, that is..) i have Bs and As in everything except french. is one single "deal breaker" acceptable? (i'm from europe)

Posted by: Ormen on March 4, 2007

Thanks Ben! Well, I hope everyone gets accepted to the college that is righ for them. Here's something to dwell on for the next couple of weeks... =)

A = 1000 / (17 - d)

Where A represents Anxiety (measured in fingernail fragments) and d represents the current day in the month of March.

Posted by: Daniel on March 4, 2007

Tu étudies le Français à l'école, Ormen? Cool, I speak French too. My island was a French colony smile Tu viens de quel pays exactement?
Actually, I think that just having a foreign language in your CV is a big thing when applying. I dont believe that a D is gonna b such a "deal breaker" when others cant boast about a second language at all. Good luck...

Posted by: Hanna on March 4, 2007

Oh, my god! Two weeks... I am so tensed up! I know all the others are tensed too. Good luck, everyone.

Posted by: yohini on March 4, 2007

Happy Holi Everybody!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Ankit Chandra
Gaborone, BOTSWANA

Posted by: Ankit Chandra on March 4, 2007

It's March 17th 2007 at noon. You are walking nervously along the street heading towards a cyber cafe. But this time you are not going to check your inbox or chat with friends; you are going to see what could change your destiny in life. You are going to see whether the very thing that was your dream of which you worked so hard to achieve has bore any fruits.
All of sudden you are at the cyberspace. You try to access MIT site and due to nervousness you type wrong address a number of times. The web browser keeps telling you 'the page cannot be displayed'. Your state of mind cheats you that the browser means you have been rejected! Hopeless you finally get into MyMIT page. You nervously type in your password and username slowly with your index finger. You ponder for a moment. Something tells you not to log in. Then some force from nowhere makes you hit the return key. And the page loads.
A message appears. It reads ....................

Posted by: Thuita Maina on March 4, 2007

accept me
i hav lot to do abt

Posted by: bhushan on March 4, 2007

excellent job Thuita Maina
it really sounds what its going to be

Posted by: bhushan on March 4, 2007

AAHH!! Two weeks! It will be the two longest weeks in my life. Anyway, now is just relax, and for those who are really stressed out, try to occupy your free time reading books, playing sports (release adrenalin) or even joining a community work. If you do so, the anxiety about the decision will decrease a little bit.
Good luck to all applicants!

Posted by: Susan Virgem on March 4, 2007

Someone told me that MIT doesn't admit those students, who make call MIT by funny names.
Oops! Now where do I stand?

Posted by: Mr. am I Tea?= MIT on March 4, 2007

Scary, Anxiety, Excitement, Apprehension... A melting pot of emotions is what I'm carrying for the rest of the days.

Best of Luck to Ya'll!!

Posted by: AB on March 4, 2007

Hanna, I study Spanish, and I can understand you. Hehe =)

Anyway, good luck regular applicants! I won't lie, these two weeks drag - go and do stuff you love, though. There's nothing you can do about admissions.

Posted by: Melissa '11 on March 4, 2007

Thuita Maina,

I didn't even get passed the first line when I checked my status online. I just picked up my laptop and ran to my dad's room, where the battery promptly fell out =)

Posted by: Melissa '11 on March 4, 2007

wow i just can't imagine how it will be like, Friday night.
hey what on earth did you do when you knew that you are admitted Melissa??? you didn't sleep for about on whole month, did you?? lol
OMG i can't imagine what i will do if i find out that i'm admitted!!
good luck to all of you.

Posted by: Amjad on March 4, 2007

I cannot agree with the guy who is feeling overly confident about getting into MIT. In fact, I am feeling woefully incompetent. Does anyone else find it exceptionally hard to actually open the letter or click the button? After so much waiting, it just comes down to one motion. After so much waiting, I find that I lack the courage to discover my fate. *gulp* It's bad of the low acceptance rate, and most applicants are already in the top of their class, so the odds seem even less. does that make sense? Thanks guys, after reading the comments I'm even more stressed than before....

Posted by: Ashley Jones on March 4, 2007

UGH I’m applying next year, this post stresses me out, and makes me excited at the same time, I feel like I have done all that I can do in my school (minus senior year of course) but seeing the level of brains at this place is, dare I say, mind boggling. Any suggestions for what I can do to add a few awesomeness points to my applications. What have some of you guys done? STORY TIME !!!
Yours truly,
Hopeful applicant Travis

Posted by: Travis Oswald on March 4, 2007

international admissions are really tough, they take only 110, thats the first and last time I wish I was an american citizen/resident, would have had a crack at 1000 slots rather than 110...shit!!!!i think there should be open competition for 1500 slots and we'll see how many of the local students get in...i dont think they'll take up more than a 100 seats....lolzz..but then again thats life, and you got to live with........

Posted by: Anonymous on March 4, 2007

OH WOW!
2 weeks? The suspense might drive some people nuts... As for me that'll be 2 years and 2 weeks, but that's a different story (but this post does make me feel a bit edgy, and yet even more scared).

GOOD LUCK TO EVERYONE!
smile
*cheers for everyone*

Posted by: LilKraze on March 4, 2007

Anonymous said - "international admissions are really tough, they take only 110, thats the first and last time I wish I was an american citizen/resident"

but Anonymous - if you got into MIT, which you seem to want to do, and came here, wouldn't you be residing in America anyways? That's sort of a strong statement to make when you're applying to an American school. Also, you seem to be implying that American students that get accepted to MIT aren't nearly as qualified as the international admits. If that's the case, then why aren't there more incredible schools like MIT in other parts of the world, where their student bodies would be comprised of these superior international students? MIT's student body is primarily American, but if these students weren't qualified to be there, then, despite all the funding and money MIT gets from outside sources, it simply wouldn't have the reputation it has. And that reputation is the reason you're bothering to apply to an American school, isn't it?

Posted by: Sara '11 on March 4, 2007

God. 2 weeks... It seems like yesterday when I first thought of MIT as THE PLACE in which I wanted to study, and if I'm not mistaken, it's already been like... 6 years since it crossed my mind, and as time went by, my affinity towards MIT has grown a LOT. Still, I feel like these 2 weeks will be longer than the past 6 years.

I would like to tell all the other applicants not to loose hope. I've read about people who where the top in their classes, people who aced the SATs, played three instruments and used to write for the community newspaper get rejected. So don't loose hope, just because you didn't get 2400 in your SAT I, or 800 in any of your SATs II, doesn't mean you won't get in.

In short (or... kind of short): keep your hopes up, we all stand a chance, and if it doesn't happen it's probably because it wasn't meant to happen. Perhaps those us who get rejected will have a better time and career at some other place that is not MIT and attend MIT to do a Masters degree or a PHD. No matter what the outcome situation is, it is not the end of the world, as some people said before, but the beginning of something new.

Posted by: Maverick on March 4, 2007

In short (or... kind of short): keep your hopes up, we all stand a chance, and if it doesn't happen it's probably because it wasn't meant to happen. Perhaps those us who get rejected will have a better time and career at some other place that is not MIT and attend MIT to do a Masters degree or a PHD. No matter what the outcome situation is, it is not the end of the world, as some people said before, but the beginning of something new. GOOD LUCK!

Posted by: Maverick on March 4, 2007

sorry for the 2 posts... just forgot to wish good luck to all of you raspberry

Posted by: Maverick on March 4, 2007

Who's writing the APMO? It's on March 12 in my region. I quote an associate: "plenty stress over the next two weeks," but it could be [an admittedly exhausting] joyride. What do you think?

APMO = Asian-Pacific Math' Olympiad

Posted by: Chandresh on March 4, 2007

sara,

i don't think anonymous was saying anything against the american students that are accepted to mit. he/she was just pointing out that international admissions is far more competitive, because mit wants no more than 8% of its classes to be international -- thus, only about 100 foreign students are accepted each year. this means that, even though the inernational pool may be as qualified as the us one, it is competing for a proportionally smaller number of spots.

plus, you have to keep in mind that often schools outside the us are much more competitive and rigorous, and many international students have trudged through much more advanced material than the us public school system covers. so it is very probable that, if there were no limits, the acceptance rate for intls would be higher.

and don't be offended by anonymous' remark that it is the only time he/she would wish to be an american citizen -- it's pretty normal to love your own country and not wish to be part of another. the fact that he/she wants to come to mit to study may be due more to the unique characteristics of the institute and not be motivated by admiration for america.

Posted by: naturalized expat on March 4, 2007

naturalized - you're right on all counts, it's just that to me, Anonymous's comment seemed to be really dismissive of America & American students. that being said, best of luck to everyone!!

Posted by: sara '11 on March 4, 2007

Yesterday I had a band competition, and for one day I didn't think about getting mail from colleges (i.e. MIT). Now, I'm edgy as all get out after reading this blog and its comments. So much for the wonderful peace of trumpet playing, LOL.

Good luck and hopefully we'll all get brass rats in a few years. :o)

Posted by: Audrey H. on March 4, 2007

I am from India, and I dont ask whether ya are hindu or not in the way, cause it's demoting humanity. Just asked cause your name don't seem to be INDIAN in first glance, but ya know the festival.

I wonder how many of you are getting pressure from parents as well? My parents are pressurizing me to make a good score in the hs, in case I am rejected from MIT

Thuita Maina

ya figured it right wink I am constantly having typos....

Chandresh

Did you participate in APMO?

LilKraze

You will soon join the list of anxious people.

Anyhow best of luck (By the rings of aturn, I did correct the typo in this word, just imagine what it could be :(:(|) to all

*****************************************saturn

I am from India. My girlfriend in Japan (42, married to an doctorate engineer, with 2 kids, still my girlfriend) is eagerly waiting for my acceptance.

Please accept me. Just to make her happy.

to Madman who makes people fly,
your girlfriend is 42!!!!!! No wonder you call yourself madman! I 18 and never had a girlfriend; that is one thing which I lack. It's not that I look like a nerd or something, or have any other trait which has prevented me from having a girlfriend.

Though I am humble, and hate to boast, and those who boast too much, unnecessarily, I know many dumb guys being successful in relationships, I couldn't even start a relationship! That's is because when I was around 11 I got rejected by a girl, and since then I never had the courage to propose or something. Considering my age I feel I am really stupid, but after reading your post I am sure I am a billion times luckier, and smarter, and simultaneously less dumber than some boy who at the age of 17/18/19 has 42 yr old girlfriend!
I think because of the age difference a more appropriate term would be aunt-friend wink and not girlfriend

PS: I know most of you must be thinking is this the time to discuss a dumb issue like this...Yes...at least it's not the usual oh! I am so worried I wish I get into MIT .....at least some off-topic posts add some literary contrast to what you are reading, which obviously is makes reading more enjoyable!

Posted by: Anonymouws on March 4, 2007

Madman's girlfriend is obviously the answer to life, the universe and everything. . . either that or a dolphin.

Thanks for all the fish!

Posted by: Snively on March 4, 2007

Very stressful moment, yes, indeed..

Posted by: Qiji on March 4, 2007

I am way ueberly anxious for the 17th. And to Snively, are we talking 42?

Posted by: Jessica on March 4, 2007

To Anonymouws:
It would never be dumb to discuss about any issues in MIT, I personally would not accept the fact that smart people only talk about high level topics, it's just a dumb way to avoid life then.. But anyway, what's the big deal of having relationship prior or when you 18? Haha, I am sixteen and I am applying to MIT, I thought that age is never the difference in life. I guess loads of girls would like you if you just be a benevolent person and always ready to save the days. (let's not turn this forum into a single male's party) But anyway, good luck to your rest of college apps and life..grin

Posted by: Qiji on March 4, 2007

We are indeed talking 42. Got your towel handy?

Posted by: Snively on March 5, 2007

don't panic

*in large friendly letters*

Posted by: 0 on March 5, 2007

To All

You didn't notice that my gf is already married to an doctorate engineer, with 2 kids.

And well, she first proposed that she would be my "mother" instead --- but is my girlfriend.

And I had been rejected by almost 100 girls already, "They Came, They Saw, They Won, They Enjoyed, They Rejected". Now I have only one left!

I don't know why they are not stable with me. My personalty tests confirm that as a boyfriend I am "Cool like sea breeze, Dream guy etc." And PEOPLE SAY I am above average smartness here, still it's an unsolved mystery. :-?

Congrats for all who enjoy a relationship.

Posted by: The madman who makes people fly on March 5, 2007

To madman
Mr. madman if you aren't having stable relationships , it means that there's some area of your personality, and things around you, on which you need to concentrate, to find out what's the fault?
Personality tests aren't quite accurate, at times, and there are some exceptions like you!

Posted by: James Bond 007 on March 5, 2007

QuriousQreature's Question1.

Que1 Once upon a time a person kept three bananas in front of an elephant. The elephant ate only two of them? Can you guess why did the elephant not eat the third banana? Please don't read any further, and first think about it for, at least, 5 minutes, before looking at the answer.

Answer [scroll down]:
++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
Because the third banana was made of plastic!

Don't get angry dear reader! Please continue reading.

QuriousQreature Question2

Once upon a time three bananas were kept in front
an elephant. The elephant did not eat any banana.
Can you guess why the elephant, in this case, didn't eat any banana?

Answer [scroll down]:
Because the elephant was made of plastic!

wink

Posted by: QuriousQreature on March 5, 2007

can anybody please confirm if Ben's personal email id is : benjones at mit dot edu

and Matt's : mcgann at mit dot edu

urgent, please help.

thanxx

Posted by: 0 on March 5, 2007

Dear all
I just wanted to tell you that James Bond 007, QuriousQreature are my pen names.

Posted by: Mr. am I Tea?=MIT on March 5, 2007

You know if I get into MIT, I will have two dates of birth :
My current date of birth and March 17, 2007
Because I'll feel that I have got a new life? I wish I could get into
"am I Tea?"

Posted by: 0 on March 5, 2007

Hey, that was me asking for Ben's and Matt's email id. My friend wrote this comment for me and forgot to add my name to it.

Help me guys. Madman?

Posted by: Viksit on March 5, 2007

A year of worry, tension and anxiety comes down to a click. How do you manage to even click that mouse?

Posted by: Ishan on March 5, 2007

QuriousQreature,
The dumbest jokes are always the best ones. Continue making us laugh smile It greatly helps with the stress of waiting.

Posted by: Hanna on March 5, 2007

all contacts can be found at:

web.mit.edu/people.html

Posted by: 0 on March 5, 2007

Hey did you know

sinx
---- = x
six

how ?
+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
s,i,x get cancelled, since they are present in both numerator and denominator wink

I never said that the numerator = "sine of x"
denominator = 6

you assumed the expression to mean that; that's not my fault!
I never asked you to assume anything
PS: s,i,x are non-zero!

sorry ! there's a correction

sinx
---- = n
six

Posted by: 0 on March 5, 2007

That anonymous was me

Hmmmm.... the jokes gettimg dumber and dumber smile Note, however, that I did not say funnier and funnier this time....Lol.

Posted by: Hanna on March 5, 2007

Dear Reader
Is the refracrive index of your brain 1?
If you can't answer this question with full confidence, despite knowing what "refractive index of a medium" means, then there is no need to tax your brain too much, because it means that most probably the refractive index of your brain is indeed actually 1.

By the way, the refractive medium of my brain is 0!

It is as if the tension can be cut with a knife.
Great to know that there is another Tim Applicant to MIT.Tim, you can reach me at wumborti(at)yahoo(dot)com. i hope we both make this final lap.

Posted by: Tim on March 5, 2007

Okay.. After signing off my MIT portal, I decided to ease my seriously stressed, anxious mind. So I took to the jungle along with my driver. After about two hours of safari and nightfall fast approaching, we decided it was time to leave. But along the way, Murphy's Law, I had a feeling that something would go wrong (wish I don't have such on 17th) and it sure did. Our vehicle broke down. It wouldn't start. My driver checked the engine and said, " I have a good news and a bad news.. the bad news is that the two cylinder engines have broken down and need to be replaced. We might have to camp here or walk back home. Now the good news is that we weren't in a plane..." Am I supposed to laugh?? lol

Posted by: AB on March 5, 2007

Dear QuriousQreature,
R u sure u did not mistake the refractive index of ur brain wid ur IQ? =) Am joking ok. No offense meant. In fact, am refreshing this page everytime just to see wat silly joke u've posted again. Lol...
Good luck smile

Posted by: Hanna on March 5, 2007

Just thought I'd share something. MIT decisions can really be stressful. I mean.. After all those months, actually 1 year for me, of working, learning, writing essays, travelling to get my recommendations and reports (Am an international student and my school's in another country), after all those works & talks, comes down to that one fateful day 17th. GOD!! I feel the weight. Expectations here (in my family and friends) are flying extremely high.. I can't do anything but cringe to my seat, stare at the computer.. waiting.. for that day. that day that will change my life, for good or bad. I have no idea.

But whatever the decisions, hmm, MIT (I dreamed on it, slept on it) SO!! PUHLEEEZZ jeezz..

Best of LUCK to ALL!!

Posted by: AB on March 5, 2007

Can anyone prove that 2+2=22??

Posted by: AB on March 5, 2007

So I will at this page from 12:01 am on the 17th, refreshing until I get my decision. Ich bin sehr nervös.

Posted by: Jess on March 5, 2007

prove: 2+2=22

let a=2.
=> a+a=aa
=> 2a=a^2
=> 2*2=2^2
=> 4=4

??

speaking of silly jokes...

Posted by: 0 on March 5, 2007

• Proof by obviousness: "The proof is so clear that it need not be mentioned."
• Proof by general agreement: "All in favor?..."
• Proof by imagination: "Well, we'll pretend it's true..."
• Proof by convenience: "It would be very nice if it were true, so..."
• Proof by necessity: "It had better be true, or the entire structure of mathematics would crumble to the ground."
• Proof by plausibility: "It sounds good, so it must be true."
• Proof by intimidation: "Don't be stupid; of course it's true!"
• Proof by lack of sufficient time: "Because of the time constrait, I'll leave the proof to you."
• Proof by postponement: "The proof for this is long and arduous, so it is given to you in the appendix."
• Proof by accident: "Hey, what have we here?!"
• Proof by insignificance: "Who really cares anyway?"
• Proof by profanity: * * * * * QE f****** D
• Proof by definition: "We define it to be true."
• Proof by tautology: "It's true because it's true."
• Proof by plagarism: "As we see on page 289,..."
• Proof by lost reference: "I know I saw it somewhere...."
• Proof by calculus: "This proof requires calculus, so we'll skip it."
• Proof by terror: When intimidation fails...
• Proof by lack of interest: "Does anyone really want to see this?"
• Proof by illegibility: *Scribble scribble scribble*
• Proof by logic: "If it is on the problem sheet, it must be true!"
• Proof by majority rule: Only to be used if general agreement is impossible.
• Proof by clever variable choice: "Let A be the number such that this proof works..."
• Proof by tessellation: "This proof is the same as the last."
• Proof by divine word: "...And the Lord said, 'Let it be true,' and it was true."
• Proof by stubbornness: "I don't care what you say- it is true."
• Proof by simplification: "This proof reduced to the statement 1 + 1 = 2."
• Proof by hasty generalization: "Well, it works for 17, so it works for all reals."
• Proof by deception: "Now everyone turn their backs..."
• Proof by supplication: "Oh please, let it be true."
• Proof by poor analogy: "Well, it's just like..."
• Proof by avoidance: Limit of proof by postponement as it approaches infinity
• Proof by design: If it's not true in today's math, invent a new system in which it is.
• Proof by authority: "Well, Don Knuth says it's true, so it must be!"
• Proof by intuition: "I have this gut feeling."

Posted by: Snively on March 5, 2007

Snively-

The proof by logic is, by far, the best! For a proof that I couldn't seem to do on a math test, I wrote that it must be true because we were asked to prove it. My professor thought it was clever, so he gave me half credit..

Posted by: Adam S. on March 5, 2007

Hey,
Can we still change our personal information?
Because I already edited my mailing address but MyMIT homepage still says that my current mailing address is my old mailing address. What should I do?

Posted by: Carlos on March 5, 2007

if we submitted financial aid information, and it hasn't showed up, is it correct to assume that the admission decision is a rejection?

Posted by: 0 on March 5, 2007

Man! I can't take the wait! I still haven't told my parents that MIT decisions are on the 17th. I'd rather find out on my own without them going "did you check yet? well?? did you get in??" I'll let them know after I find out.

Ahhh, it's so soon, and yet so far away! Hang in there, guys!

Posted by: 0 on March 5, 2007

anonymous 1:
i very much doubt it. the admissions office and the financial aid office are two separate entities, and you have to figure that, since the fin aid deadline just went by, the office probably has a ridiculous amoung of mail to deal with. on the other hand, if you submitted it a long time ago, and it's still not there, i would call fin aid to check. i doubt you want to risk being admitted with an empty financial aid file.

anonymous 2:
you're not the only one who hasn't told their parents yet. thankfully, mine will be gone for two weeks including march 17th, so i will have as much space as necessary to deal with the decision.

Posted by: 0 on March 5, 2007

Seriously, things are getting tougher day by day, minute by minute. Sigggghhh!!!

Posted by: 0 on March 5, 2007

Viksit you have got them right, that are there IDs

Hehe I don't know why I'm visiting here considering I don't apply to MIT until this upcoming Fall (despite my lurking here for over a year) but I really wanted to say Good Luck! to all of you waiting! I will definitely be in that same position this coming December, and next March (with my chances of deferral, unfortunately, much larger). But hey, good job on getting this far! ^__^

Posted by: Rebecca on March 5, 2007

2+2=22??

(2+2)/+=22 (??) Proved

Posted by: AB on March 6, 2007

snively-
hahaha. proof by divine word is awesome. and proof by clever variable choice...

Posted by: Josh V on March 6, 2007

worries and anxiety are building towers in my mind
best of luck to all

I wud say if u r appropriate for MIT, God will tak u there and then no one can stop u from getting into MIT

Posted by: bhushan on March 6, 2007

That helped Bhushan. The way to go!! smile

Posted by: 0 on March 6, 2007

anonymous

i didn't understood what r u trying to say

Posted by: bhushan on March 6, 2007

I meant, 'Now that is a good approach, since, there is hardly anything we can do now.'

Keep your faith alive. In God, in yourself and ofcourse, in the wonderful admissions people of MIT. Things will work out for the best. Best of luck, everybody.

Posted by: 0 on March 6, 2007

To prove: 1=2.

We know that for any natural number n,
n=1+1+1+1+1...n times

So
n^2=n+n+n+n+n...n times

Differentiate both sides.
2n=1+1+1+1+1...n times
2n=n
2=1

raspberry

Bonus points for someone who spots BOTH mistakes in the 'proof'.

Posted by: sid on March 6, 2007

thats a dumb one!!

Posted by: 0 on March 6, 2007

please don't make this post as one of the proof post

Posted by: 0 on March 6, 2007

Hey Sid
In your proof for 1=2, the mistake is that
n^2 and n+n+n+n.. are both constants.
The derivative of a constant with respect to a variable is zero!
=> 0=0 and not 2=1!

Posted by: Mrinal on March 6, 2007

For all practical purposes:

refractive index of a medium=

<b>(speed of light in that medium)/ (speed of light in air)
</b>

Which means if the refractive index of the brain of a person is 1, it means that the person's brain is nearly as dense as air;)

Now, if you knew the meaning of refractive index of a medium , and couldn't answer the aforementioned question, you know how good your brain is wink

PS: Please don't get offended, it's a mere joke

Posted by: QuriousQreature on March 6, 2007

Preparing to hibernate until 17th

Initiating hibernation mechanism:

10% ------ 50%----------------100%

zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz.................

I've got a silly joke myself.

There was an Egyptian talking to a man from Gana. The Egyptian said:" You know there have have been archeological digs in my country and they have discovered underground cables in many regions. This proves that my ancestors were extremely civilised as they had the telephone"
The man from Gana replied:" In my country, there have been archeological digs too but they did not find any cables whatsoever. This proves that my ancestors were even more advanced people; they used mobile phones..." grin

P.S: No offense meant to anyone of any citizenship. It's just the story as I heard it.

Posted by: 0 on March 6, 2007

HAPPINESS

It seems so many guys have this mentality, "I won't be happy till I get admitted to MIT." This mentality affects so many people round the world, that's why you will hear people saying: "I will be happy till I get a good job, I will never be happy till I get a good wife, I will be happy when I get a nice car etc..."

The point is: if you can't be happy now, you will probably never be happy coz life is a series of challenges. Only positive attitude towards life can make you happy not money. Happiness is a journey not destination.

So guys, let us be happy and not get worried by MIT decisions. We are so blessed that we have no reason to mourn. (And if you think you have probelms, then you haven't seen people with probelms; you will discover how lucky you are!)

Cheers!
Thuita Maina.
MIT international applicant - Kenya.

Posted by: Thuita Maina on March 6, 2007

Guys if i start a group for MIT 07 applicants at facebook who will join the group?
what for?
well, we can just talk there and waste time lol. i mean we are gonna post comments here at mit blogs and there at the group wasting double the time, and that's what we want. i guess we all want to waste our time at least 'till march 17th smile

Posted by: Amjad on March 6, 2007

Hey, we are a lot of international students who all wake up in the middle of the night these days trying to figure out how to send the "Right Application" to MiT for the 2007/2008 RA. But I don't think we should claim "we are better than most American students" - hey, I mean, we might have some courses that are more advanced than in the US, so we might have some advantages (and probably quite a few disadvantages!), but I don't think any of us should brag about how smart we are. I have no doubt that a MiT student, whether or not he/she is American or European (or Asian), will be able to even out those differences quite fast. In the end, it's only a matter of how much work you are willing to do when you arrive at MiT.

I'd love to move to America, study at MiT and then become a naturalized citizen. Ah, dreams.

Good luck everyone.

Posted by: Eirik on March 6, 2007

Hello, my name is Borat. I would loves to move to US & A.

Posted by: Borat on March 6, 2007

Strange Phenomenon
My Internet Explorer doesn't show this web page, but Mozilla Firefox shows this page. This so strange, is there something wrong with my PC, or is it that MIT is more friends with Mozilla people , than with Microsoft people

Posted by: Anonymous on March 6, 2007

you know Eirik you're kinda wrong

and what if you have more advanced courses!! that doesn't mean you are better, if your school gives calculus courses and another American school does not (for example) that does count for nothing, because that doesn't mean you outsmart those who doesn't take calculus classes at school(again for example), that just means that you are a bit more knowledgeable but not smarter. you have to improve you are smart away from the school work in order to get admitted to MIT.

trust me there are so many disadvantages for applying to MIT as international student, i think you can realize that so clear when looking at the admissions statistics.

and just for the record i'm not an american student lol.

Posted by: Amjad on March 6, 2007

there is nothing wrong but that IE sucks. don't use it. stop using it.
YUCK. IE is just dull, stupid, dumb web browser.
lol

no offense hahahha

(that's what happens, sometimes you just keep attacking then you say "no offense". lol but i'm kidding there is offense actually)

Posted by: Amjad on March 6, 2007

I just created a group on facebook for MIT 07 applicants. its name is "MIT 07 Applicants". And hey everybody, i'm gonna accept any add by you guys.
go take a look at it.
Join it. it'll be fun

here:
http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=2250308853

Posted by: Amjad on March 6, 2007

Thuita Maina

How right you are!

Posted by: benhaldor on March 7, 2007

Eirick,

I think by becoming an American you will be betraying your own people. They gave birth to you, brought you up and you have got to give back something to them. I don't mean you shouldn't go to MIT. Go to MIT (if admmitted of course), get your education and go back to help your people.

In any case, I don't think you need to be an American to succeed in life. It's more of your character, personality and brains.

I believe that it's better to be a chief in a your home village than a subject in an empire.

Anyway good luck Eirick in your dreams!!

Posted by: Thuita Maina on March 7, 2007

Proof by calculus--> something my teachers do all the time

One piece of advice for y'all (I don't really have a southern accent, just easier to type in. This explanation kind of defeats that purpose...):
1. DON'T PANIC. (nice large friendly letters)
2. Don't forget your towel.

You should be ok. Anyone else thinks that the movie to the book was sacrilege?

~Another Random Naturalized Expat

Posted by: Kiran on March 7, 2007

INVURIATING... any of you know that feeling you get when you see a falacy everyone falls into? with sophistical after sophistical? Well, i do... the feeling in which people, magicians, atorneys, docters, and engineers try to bemuzzle somebody using false or missleading logic? the feeling you get when you know The Lord Francis Bakon would colapse at if he saw? well... ive been getting that feeling alot from people trying to be witty, high school witty...
And i see it alot, its sly, silly... but wrong. However, I have been experiencing that feeling in a place i would never have expected, an MIT forum. Logic is MIT's game, and puzzles are its fun. However... sophisticals... they walk a very fine line, so... this is out to all of you trying to hoodwink others with absolutely mindnumbing cleverness... your wrong.

first of all, is an elephant made out of plastic REALLY an elephant... using my bible... the oxford dictionary, no. An elephant is nothing that RESEMBLES an elephant, so why didnt the elephant eat the bannanas when their was no elephant? this, is misleading logic compensated with wit.

and this 2+2=22, is absolutely false
you cant necessarilly prove this using the proves stated above, but those would at least yield a little more reliable answer. HOWEVER, prove this mathematically, and you find its fals.

ALSO, the person that does say 2+2=22 also trains his own adders to bite him, why?
because he goes on to state that 2+2=4 prove by contradiction.

their, done.

If you want to solve a REAL riddle check out einstiens puzzle... you can do it two ways, the witty way, wich takes 1 read, or the logical way which took me roughly 3000 reads. but a WAY better riddle AND NOT a sophistical!

to do the witty way,
think of the method of confusious, answer every question with another question... DONT be fooled by the facts given, just think about a question that would make the puzzle incinerate before your eyes... 1 question, and you will be witty. this... this 2+2=22 is not wit... its just a bored mathematician to which, i say sole or derive 1+e^i(pi)=0 I derived this
BY ACCIDENT! when trying to solve a nonlinear differential equation... and if you need direction, should be writing a blog on how any average mathematical heavywieght can solve it, but i was really astonished, when i shouled my professor, that the formula was already found... roughly 500 years ago, but its nice to know that im on eulers path... who knows, maybe ill be able to contribute as much as him?

also, i incourage everyone to read his works, he wrote all his thoughts and calculations down... BEFORE calculus, thus anyone should be able to see it... his thoughts are just AMAZING, the downside? thats 70 volumes of 2000 paged work... good luck reading that in a lifetime!

in summery, dont try to hoodwink people, go ahead and hoodwink people that can understand its a hoodwink, but dont try it with people weho have enough problems understanding math as it is... ive seen the effect of such proves on people that dont understand them... not pretty, makes it that much harder for them to understand the CORRECT way...
but im sure no one minds, and im sure all of you would make EXCELLENT thinkers, just know that in the end, false results prove false reasoning, and false thinking. ALTHOUGH, a great excercise to widen the horizons of the mind...

1 week left...

Posted by: Lendz on March 7, 2007

yes... ive NEVER seen the movie, but im not going to! they had the letters in PINK! in PINK!!! at least on the preview... im just a hard up bookworm that loves space... math... physics... and energy fluxuations...

Posted by: lendz on March 7, 2007

Thuita Maina

BETRAY?????????
OMG i need a break....
c'mon life is simpler than that
you shouldn't think this way....
it's just that thinking this way is so....sad

Posted by: Amjad on March 7, 2007

system restarting......coming out of hibernation mode
10%-----------50%--------100% completed
Dear Lendz
It appears to me that you are unaware of the term "Parallel Thinking". What I used in that "elephant and banana" example or that "sinx" example was parallel thinking, which, in a simple way, can be defined has thinking about things, in not the usual monotonous logical manner, but thinking in a completely different manner.
Very few are gifted with this ability, and if you'll get into the depth of all this stuff, you'll realize that many complex mathematical, or real life problem, can be solved, or, at least, partially solved by employing parallel thinking. Also that, the world faces so many problems, and we don't have scarcity of usual-logically-thinking-experts, but where are the solutions? Either the solutions are too expensive, or they are too complex to be implemented, because of the state of the society, and the world order. Parallel thinking has the solutions. I know , to some, it may appear that I am exaggerating the potential of parallel thinking, but this concept of mine is still like a baby; it is yet to blossom into a tall handsome adult, and gain recognition, by the usual-monotonous-logical-thinkers. Parallel thinking is actually a cousin of the plain logic, and common sense that most of the humans employ, it is just that, for centuries, people like you, have conspired against it, and upheld only the plain logic. People like you are the cause of it's stunted growth, and that is why, it's role has been limited to just, the so called "dumb jokes", which are actually manifestations Parallel Thinking. Needless to stay, you do need to deviate a little bit from the dictionary meaning, or the strict definitions, of things. And you do deviate from the definitions of "your bible", sometimes at least; I am sure you do, at least, sometimes, because you are a human and not a programmed robot, which would all the time stick to the dictionary meaning of things. Actually parallel thinking should have attained the status of a branch of logic, Alas! it hasn't gained much popularity. However, I will ensure, that people accept it as a new way of thinking, and that it's role doesn't get limited to just making people laugh.
By the way, those who thought QuriousQreature is some dumb boy, what do you think about me, and my philosophy? How many of you thought about things in so different-than-usual manner? And I would like to remind you that it was me, who came up with the idea that MIT= am I tea?, how many could think like this?

Posted by: QuriousQreature on March 7, 2007

QuriousQreature:

I think the sinx example is dead on, logical coherent, and different, and i never said the elephant one was wrong, i just merrilly stated, that in an argument... someone on my position has the upper ground, because your banking on other people acknowledging your definition for elephant. when indeed an elephant is indeed JUST an elephant. This one here, was misleading... why? also because their could be a BILLION different answers. Why didnt the elephant eat the bananas infront of it? well... my answer, the bananas were directly behind it. why? well, if you walk forward in a strait line you will eventually come in contact with the bannana, so... it ISW in front, yet, not. If this was the answer to the question, you would be relying on something someone could actually figure out. I dont think anyone could logically think that the bannana is made out of plastic... no riddle, because your given no clues. why not rubber? why not glass? But I have no quarries with the sinx/six, quite the contrerary, that actually brought a sly smile to my lips, because logically, i knew what you were going to do. And i do believe i have heard I am Tea before... or something similar; i dont know about that... but i also... drum role... said that it was a GREAT excercise to widen the mind... IF DONE CORRECTLY, and my thesis was, 2+2=22, is not done correctly. thats just plain... wrong. because A PROVE is just that... a PROVE. and what happens when you submit a prove? the examiners look for exactly this. Inconcistencies. so your prove is wrong, by inconsistency, so your going to have to prove it another way. And i might add i have no grudge against parralel thinking, in DiffEQ's its ALL PARRALEL thinking... ok, a little fudgy at times, but its looking at things in a simpler, and more universal... and somewhat drastically different light.

and no, i had never heard the term parralel thinking before, but i am familiar with its concept... so if you will is this a term you invented to describe this process, because id like to use it. it describes it perfectly. so if you did creat this phrase, i ask your permission to be able to use it. Or ill just come up with my own, but parrallel thinking is a good term... although... maybe porpendicular thinking would be better? coming from the opposite direction and all.. na... parralel thinking is good... similar in itself to parrallel transport, and i would recomend you input that into wikipedia, great term... anyways, in summery: I believe i stated that the sinx is grand, the elephant was good, and the 2+2=22 was dumb; and i never made any pun on your ability, just some of the implementation; oh, and i should probobly mention, the only reasons i know this, is because ive had it happen to me. And im gratefull for it. A person was sarcastic enough to go ahead and analyze my witty parralel thinking... but i was lucky because he actually gave me feedback i have never lost... and that feedback i have given you. what you do with that is your own, And I am NO expert at making random parrallel problems like that, so im not saying this as a person "who knows all" just as a person that is offering suggestions on how to do better. but this is all just my opinion, but know, just because i critisize something it does not mean i have no respect, in fact, i usually critizise things i have respect for.

but I'll repeat a point that may not have been registered, Parrelel thinking is a GREAT GREAT GREAT GREAT mentle excercise. I recomend everyone to at least attept this at least once a week, Its a great excercise. I love it.

Posted by: lendz on March 8, 2007

To All:

I think its far fetched to say i conspire against something... when all i try to do is point out mistakes, thats like calling someone a traitor when they disagree with you, unpatriotic because they are different from you, evil because you dont understand them. I just know what happens when people dont realise the mistakes they are making... they become a habit. Theirs a phrase out their i have come to love, practice makes habbit, so to counteract this you have to have some checks on what you do not know, so please, i invite EVERYONE if their is anything mildly wrong with my conclusions, and even more so the way i got those conclusions, feel free to tell me. And i will not stubbornly defend a dieing point to death. but DONT, because of mild contradiction, say i am in any plot to destroy or subdue something because i disagree with it. In fact i LOVE disagreeing with things, it gives me a chance to stop my usuall unusual thinking, and allows me to take a somewhat unbiosed view of things. sometimes the only way to learn (I speek from experience) is to defend a dieing concept. but thats no where near grounds enough to go shouting CONSPIRACY! just relax, pary, and lunge. its like fencing, someone attacks, you fend them off, and offer a few of your own... logical rational decisions, with a parrallel flare is the PERFECT combination. And I fear/hope that one day ill be able to go up against QuriousQreature because I know, hes one hades of a thinker.

Posted by: lendz on March 8, 2007

another correction querious, EVERYONE is gifted with the ability to be a parrallel thinker. EVERYONE has the potential, EVERYONE does it, we have just utilized it to a higher degree, but EVERYONE young, old, small or tall, can use parrallel thinking. Everyone has the potential, and everyone can. this i WILL be stubborn/dumn enough to try and defend to the death. Because i believe it with all my heart.

Posted by: lendz on March 8, 2007

Mrinal, I differentiated with respect to n (obviously). I can vary n as I like. You're close to the mark on one error, though.

The second error is a bit harder to spot.

QQ, are you serious? What do you mean by 'uphold plain logic' while rejecting 'parallel thinking'? What you call 'plain logic' is just what makes man different from the animals. 'Plain logic' is truth, and truth is self-evident. What you call 'parallel thinking' is what I call 'amusement'. It's nothing more than that.

Tell me, how exactly can you be useful, productive or creative with 'parallel thinking'? Except for making up jokes or riddles?

('Lateral thinking' is different, it's what Sherlock Holmes used to do. Thinking backward from the results to the events that caused them is very hard to do.)

The computer you use today, the OS you use, the books you read or study, even the table/chair/food/clothes/doors/windows you use -- ALL of them have been created by plain logic alone. If all of us spent all our time in (sin x)/n=6 then mankind wouldn't progress.

Posted by: Sid on March 8, 2007

Id say parrallel thinking widens the horizon, makes you more adapted to thinking laterally... and if you think about it, logic is lateral thinking, how do we prove something in math? we begin with one side, and work backwords towards our goal, which is the result on the other side. Parrallel thinking just... widens the horrisons... thats the best term i can think of for it, allows you to TRY and outwit your apponent, make your apponent think one thing when you mean another. In all truth... serlock holms uses lateral thinking as an offense to parrallel thinking... very interesting... i will need to meditate about this...

Posted by: Lendz on March 8, 2007

Sid: your mistake is sly, but easilly vewable

you begin with:

To prove: 1=2.

We know that for any natural number n,
n=1+1+1+1+1...n times

So
n^2=n+n+n+n+n...n times

mistake #1, multiply both sides by n, and you should get

Differentiate both sides.
2n=1+1+1+1+1...n times

2nd error;

2n =1+1+1+1+1+1+...+2n

2n=2n
2=2
1=1

done

raspberry

Posted by: Lendz on March 8, 2007

whats the bonus points?

Posted by: Lendz on March 8, 2007

Sid
Parallel Thinking liberates the parallel-thinker from the usual way of thinking, and helps them to widen their way of looking at things. When someone learns something new, or looks at things from a completely new perspective, new neural connections are formed inside the brain, which contribute to an increased intellectual capability. Since I haven't "fully" solved a "major" problem by adopting parallel thinking, there's no point showing the partial solutions, since the partial solutions are after all "partial". But, if ever I find a full solution to a major problem, I will present it.
From the tone of your response, it appears that, may be, you think that I am completely against plain logic. No! That is not true, and can't ever be true with any parallel-thinker, because just like while studying the motion of bodies, one need s a reference frame, in this case, plain logic is actually the reference frame. Because, what goes beyond the domain of plain logic, usually lands in the domain of parallel thinking. Also that, since, as of now, parallel thinking, at least, helps to contribute thinking-capability, it's role, in terms, of contributions, is subtle. If for instance you are able to solve some complex mathematical problem presently, it is quite likely that, some time in the past, you solved some puzzle, or some logical problem, which has "parallel" structure to the mathematical problem, i.e. there is some analogy between the two situations. Now, obviously, when you'll solve the problem, you'll take the credit, for solving the complex problem. However, you won't give credit to that other "former" problem with similar structure; assuming that you were unable to solve it, and that someone showed you the way to solve it. Which is to say, that you'll take credit in solving the complex problem, and not give any credit to the one, who showed you how to solve the former problem. I think the best way to put it is just like
"Behind every successful man there is a women."
"Behind every successful logician there is a hidden-parallel-thinker, somewhere deep within the mind."

And one thing, which you seem to miss out, because you don't think this way, is that, a master of parallel thinking has to be a master of plain logic. I can't draw a venn diagram over here, but please try to visualize, "plain-logical-thinking" is a "subset" of "parallel thinking".

"Common sense is the collection of prejudices acquired by age eighteen. " - Albert Einstein

I think, though Albert Einstein, is talking about common sense, this words are, to a certain extent, applicable for plain-logic also.

For instance, if someone got angry, because they couldn't think of something similar to an out-of-common-sense answer like "the banana being artificial" {Dear Lendz, Obviously I am not in love with plastic, you can surely choose the other materials; the crux of the discussion is to think differently than usual, and not to favour one material, for no common-sense-reason, or explicitly defined explanation over other }. Why can't we have an artificial banana? Sure we can make one? But why couldn't you think of it? Because you have taken certain things for granted-"prejudice"- like there can't be an artificial banana.

And yes Lendz, you are true; everybody has this capability. It's just that, as Einstein puts it, that people acquire certain prejudices by the age of eighteen, and then they spend their whole life being governed by these prejudices!

Now Mr. Sid please don't restrict your mind to the usual-monotonous-logical-way of looking at the equation that

sinx/x= 6 [NO NO wrong way !]

Please look it at this way:

sinx/x = six

Posted by: 0 on March 8, 2007

I am that "Anonymous"

Posted by: Mr. am I Tea?= MIT/QuriousQreature on March 8, 2007

Sid
Explanation1:

You say let "n be any natural number"

then you do all those procedures to hide a big mistake

eventually, you write

2n=n

Hello! There's no natural number, which is a solution to that equation, zero is not a natural number, it's a "whole number"

Explanation2:

You begin with n=1+1+1+...n times

whether you add 1 few times or n times, the resultant is a constant. Derivative of constant is zero!

You said that you are differentiating with respect to "n"
1)sub-explanation 1:
n is a constant, as per your own of defining
it that n=1+1+1... n times
so you can't differentiate w.r.t to a constant

2) sub-explanation 2:
even if you prefer to still stick to the
"illusion" that "n" is a variable, despite the
fact that when you add 1 to itself any number
of times, one gets a constant and not a
variable, listen to this

Your so called variable is an "abnormal
variable". When we study differential calculus,
we use real variable, which can take any real value, within an interval

What kind of variable is this which can only take natural number values. If you know a little bit of quantum mechanics, you realize that you have taken a sort of "quantified variable", because this variable can take only natural values, and on top of that you perform the audacious operation of differentiating with respect to a strange variable wink Oops I will prefer to study Diff. Calculus of real numbers, and then move on to that of strange variables
smile ...............8 days to go

Posted by: Mrinal on March 8, 2007

I think i spot another error...

what if n = 1/2? or n = √2 ? or do you mean n to be the set of natural numbers?

so if i were being formal, with n being the set of natural numbers, then

Im not sure if youd count that as an error though.

Posted by: Lendz on March 8, 2007

I think the original was Emma T.

Mrinal you are... but im afraid you CAN differentiate with respect to a constant.

you just get zero. Anti diferentiate zero and you get +c + some constant. it works...

differential calculus is also just an illusion of differentials, partials are not differentials... but on such inexplicably symple equations... they can be disregarded in resolve for just plane simple limits.

QuriousQreature

What i meant was you did not have a solution, that any number of senarios that i could come up with outside the realm of probobility would work, and that means i wouldnt even have to stretch my mind... i do have to admitt though, you could come up with a stronger answer than that. Also, feel free to illaborate on this parrallel thinking, I feel as if youve tried to broach this topic before yet keep getting shunned away as subnormal or something... that would explain the frustration and needless oppossition to OUR logic in response to yours. Relax. We know what you mean. I quite like the idea, but im not necessarilly sure weather solving an extremely complicated math problem has anything to do with using the technique as a child, because it could be inferred that the child did not make the technique up that way, in which case where did he get it from? Or if the child did make up the result that solved the solution... is it equally as proboble that the adult is equally as qualified to develop the approach the child did? I think so, and im sure you know this but a quote such as the ones you have been stating are generalizations. This is not an english class, we know what those quotes meen and we also know what they dont. And einstien was merrilly stating in those quotes that one must neglect wizdom, or wit, when solving applications. And what it means to leave all your "predgiduces" behind is to leave what you have, and have not learned to prefer. Einstien himself also noted that he had predgiduces that he would leave behind when doing certain problems... but alas; He was a wize man, wizer than most up to today; he was wize enough to admit it.

Posted by: Lendz on March 8, 2007

@ Mr. Logical(s) -- all who are sitcking to solid logic

but i'm not necessarily sure weather solving an extremely complicated math problem has anything to do with using the technique as a child, because it could be inferred that the child did not make the technique up that way, in which case where did he get it from? Or if the child did make up the result that solved the solution... is it equally as probable that the adult is equally as qualified to develop the approach the child did? I think so, and im sure you know this but a quote such as the ones you have been stating are generalizations. This is not an English class, we know what those quotes mean and we also know what they don't. And Einstein was merrily stating in those quotes that one must neglect wisdom, or wit, when solving applications. And what it means to leave all your "predgiduces" behind is to leave what you have, and have not learned to prefer. Einstein himself also noted that he had predgiduces that he would leave behind when doing certain problems... but alas; He was a wise man, wiser than most up to today; he was wise enough to admit it. I have corrected a few spelling mistakes to make it a bit easier for others to understand.

There was a time when nobody could think a+a = a (when a != 0. But thanks to Bulian logic, we know now that this is a valid OR operation. At the creation, it was more close to parallel thinking than solid plain logic. Many cases of quantum mechanics, as it appears to ME at least, looks like parallel thinking, confirmed by "Different Mathematics". I think there are always room to think parallelly, even when it looks like "childish".

I do not want to make any comment on Einstein

Posted by: The madman who makes people fly aka Captain SS Wan on March 8, 2007

To madman:

I merrilly was saying that if a child could come up with an idea that solved a problem, why is it improboble that the adult could? I think adults are equally as qualified to solve a puzzle using a tequnique they never learned as much as any child... for what did the child use to solve the problem, experience? NO! No, i think that experience just shows us what may work, and may not. nothing childish about it. so to say every puzzle we solve is using a technique we learned from childhood would be a useless statement that i few as incredibly false to the tenth power. You are indeed correct to infer that parralel thinking is used widly in quantum mechanics, but i never heard of different mathematics before... i will be sure to look it up the next time im in borders.

Posted by: Lendz on March 9, 2007

When you differentiate "something" with respect to a variable, one gets to know the rate of change of that "something", with respect to the variable, which is under consideration.

You say that, one can differentiate with respect to a "constant", this is incorrect. When we find the derivative of something w.r.t a variable, as I said, we get to know how that something changes, as the variables changes. But a constant is a constant! it can't change [obviously!], so what do you mean by saying that the you can differnetiate with respect to a constant. Because it would mean the rate at which something, changes as constant changes.....oops!.... a constant never changes; therefore you can't find the rate at which something changes when a constant changes [BECAUSE A CONSTANT CAN'T TAKE VLUES!, simply because it's isn't a variable]

=> it isn't possible to differentiate something with respect to a contant

Posted by: Madman on March 9, 2007

a+a=a means (a OR a) = a. The + is not addition. It is an OR symbol. Boolean algebra is PURE LOGIC.

Mrinal and Lendz, yes, since n takes natural numbers only, it is discontinuous, and hence not differentiable.

But suppose that it is continuous. Suppose that 4.5=1+1+1...4.5 times. Then you may have noticed that the number of terms (=n) is also a function of n, yet you have not accounted for it while differentiating. That is the second error.

Posted by: Sid on March 9, 2007

Oh actually that was a message for madman, from me, I just typed madman's name by mistake, actually I wrote that

Posted by: Mrinal on March 9, 2007

madman,

in fact the rate of change of a constant is zero. you said it yourself, it doesnt change, which means the rate of change is zero... no? so the dirivative of a constant IS zero. which is why we can take dirivatives of a constant... taking the dirivative of zero is another thing though... and requires lopitall to a degree.

in summery, yes you can.

Posted by: Lendz on March 9, 2007

This is to clarify that Madman on March 9, 2007 01:51 AM is not me
Madman on March 9, 2007 01:51 != The madman who makes people fly

Posted by: The madman who makes people fly on March 9, 2007

madman

we acknowledge.

Posted by: lendz on March 10, 2007

To LENDZ AND MADMAN AND OHTERS

I had typed Madman's name by mistake in the post :
posted by: Madman on March 9, 2007 01:51 AM

I had written that message, for madman, but by mistake, in hurry, I made a forgot to type name. I also mentioned, this before in my post :
Posted by: Mrinal on March 9, 2007 01:52 AM

Posted by: MRINAL MONGA on March 10, 2007

Lendz

Yes, it's obvious that one can find the derivative of a constant with respect to a variable; the value of the derivative of a constant with respect to a variable is same for any contant, including zero. It is zero.

What I wanted to convey in my post, in which I wrote Madman's name by mistake, is that :

One can't differentiate something with respect to a constant; I never said that one can't differentiate a constant with respect to a variable. Surely, one can do that, because that is mathematically correct.

Posted by: Mrinal Monga on March 10, 2007

Mrinal:

hmmm... so it comes down to a case of misunderstanding, and, actually... you may be right, i will need to think on this one...

Posted by: lendz on March 10, 2007

Well, this one is kind of late, but since I got myself a DSL connection only yesterday, here goes:
I'll go back to Sid's problem:
"To prove: 1=2.

We know that for any natural number n,
n=1+1+1+1+1...n times

So
n^2=n+n+n+n+n...n times

Differentiate both sides.
2n=1+1+1+1+1...n times
2n=n
2=1"
Firstly, what you have here is 'n', a natural number. And any function f(x)=n, where n is a natural number, is discontinuous, and hence NOT differenciable.
Next (pretty much the same point as the earlier one, but with a different point of view):
2n=n =>2n-n=0 =>n=0;
Which further clarifies that 'n' in this case, cannot be anything other than zero.
And if we differenciate a constant, we get zero.

And just so that you do not make the same mistake in future, remember that f(x)=g(x) does not necessarily imply f'(x)=g'(x); think about it!
Cheers and all the best!

Posted by: Ashesh on March 11, 2007

And also that assuming n=1+1+1+1+1...n times and n^2=n+n+n+n+n...n times, when 'n' is not a whole number, is wrong.

Posted by: Ashesh on March 11, 2007

Dear Ashesh
I think you probably made a mistake while typing the message you wanted to convey; I think you wanted to convey that

f'(x)=g'(x) DOESN'T IMPLY THAT f(x)=g(x)

but, instead you wrote:

f(x)=g(x) DOESN'T IMPLY THAT f'(x)=g'(x)

Why? It's perfectly correct; if f and g are equal why should their derivatives not be equal?

If the derivatives of two functions are equal, then they may the two functions can be different, because of the constants present in their definition, which get eliminated (i.e. become zero), on differentiation.

Posted by: Mrinal on March 11, 2007

maniac...maniacs..maniax.....let go of all logic sometimes...dsnt much help in life...really...

Posted by: K on March 11, 2007

Ashesh, I've already posted the errors. And f(x)=g(x) => f'(x)=g'(x) but not vice versa.

Posted by: Sid on March 12, 2007

Mrinal,
Consider two functions:
F(x)=sin(x), and G(x)=cos(x).
Now we know that, F(x)=G(x) when x = 2n(pi)+pi/4;
And one such solution is x=pi/4.
Now see. F'(x)=cos(x) and G'(x)=-sin(x), put x=pi/4, do the values of the derivatives be equal?
Another point. Try to visualise the graphs now. The sin and cos graphs meet at many points, but their slopes are not equal at any of them.
This is just one example. You can find out many others.
Also, I'd like to clarify:
F(x)=G(x) does not necessarily imply that F'(x)=G'(x), AND ALSO F'(x)=G'(x) does not necessarily imply that F(x)=G(x).
wink
And I'm sorry about that Sid, I wasn't very much in touch with this post since I was switching over to a new internet connection.
Cheers and all the best to all of you!

Posted by: Ashesh on March 12, 2007

Another thing, to prove that F'(x)=G'(x) does not necessarily imply that F(x)=G(x), let me give you one example:
Lets take F(x)=2x+c and G(x)=2x+c' ; where c and c' are unequal.
We definitely have F'(x)=G'(x)=2, but since these lines are parallel, they never meet, and it is impossible to have a condition when F(x)=G(x).
grin

Posted by: Ashesh on March 12, 2007

Dear Ashesh

If f(x)=g(x)
then it implies that
1) f and g have "identical definition"
2) their domains and ranges are identical

What you have done is that, you have taken a set of discontinuous points (not even all the points, within an interval), and have proved your hypothesis using it.

I hope by giving you a precise definition of what f(x)=g(x) means, you'll realize that your example fails to meet all the requirements; rather it doesn't meet any of the requirements, which means
your proof is wrong.

1) obviously sin(x) and cos(x), are different trigonometric functions, the definitions of F and G are different
2) sin(x) and cos(x) don't have same domain and range

Posted by: Mrinal on March 12, 2007

Dear Mrinal,
Well, I completely agree with you in this case.
But then, in your sense, you're talking about 'terminology' wink
By F(x)=G(x) in this case, I'm indeed referring to different functions, but what I'm talking about here are the values of these two functions.
As far as I remember, writing F(x)=G(x) for all x (or writing F=G) implies that F and G are the same functions. F(x)=G(x) simply means that F and G have the same value for a certain (or more than one) value of x.
Moreover, since I'm already talking about different points here, there is no question of continuity. I'm differenciating F and G separately, and both these functions are continuous on their own.
I sincerely don't think writing F(x)=G(x) implies that F and G are similar functions. It only tantamounts to a simple linear/polynomial/trigonometric/exponential/logarithmic equation.
Cheerio!

Posted by: Ashesh on March 12, 2007

I just realized that even at the second go of applying to schools, I forget that life isn't about who accepted or rejected you but rather how will you get to where you want with what you have... just a thought.

Posted by: 0 on March 13, 2007

Mrinal, i believe i owe you a yield. You were right, you cannot take the derivative with respect to a constant.

Logic is MIT, or at least logic is structure, and it is usefull against everything that isnt a parent or sister. (Bias) Anyways, i would recomend those that think logic unuseful to reorder their parameters. because i know it to be the exact opposite.

ashesh and mrinal, you are both right. and wrong is some places in which the other points out, so you too would make excellent study partners... hope to see you their, i love a good spar.

Posted by: Lendz on March 13, 2007

Lendz...
Wow man, you made me want to come to MIT all the more!!
All the best to you buddy...
And Mrinal, well, lets call this off man. wink
I guess we're both right in our own different ways, and whatever this may be, it really does show that both of us have pretty clear concepts about mathematics in this regard. All the best to you bro. Our discussion itself was so exciting, so imagine what it would be like to work together?
Hehe, I know I'm making it all sound a little too imaginative, and a little too easy, but still, it never hurts to think man.
I'm really really hoping to see both of you there.
Sharp brains from all over the world. I think thats what MIT is about. ;-D
Lets hope we're all getting the chance to be a part of that.
All the best guys!

Posted by: Ashesh on March 13, 2007

all the best! from all around the world!

Posted by: Lendz on March 13, 2007

yeah, since MIT didn't contact my school for my mid-year grades, I guess they didn't need it to cement my rejection....fantastic.

Posted by: rbanerjee on March 13, 2007