The Promise of Ending by Sam M. '07

...is labor and sharing and loving.

DID YOU KNOW? Female komodo dragons can apparently have immaculate conceptions. No, really.

So I was just sitting here this evening (don’t you mean “this morning?”) watching a biblical archaeology special on The History Channel that was trying to determine the precise location of Sodom and Gomorrah when I decided to check my grades, like I do, you know, every 20 minutes. Because there might still be someone in the Student Services Office working really hard to get those grades in right now! Anyway, when I logged into WebSIS, I took special notice of a link that had been there for the past three years:

oh.jpg

“Hmm.” thought I. “I guess that’s me.” I noticed that it had to be in by February 9 or I would suffer a $40 fine, so I figured there’d be no harm in doing it tonight. A few moments later, I had produced this image, a “diploma mock-up — for illustrative purposes only:”

oh.jpg

Three and a half years, 17 GIR’s, 8 PE points, 50 sleepless nights, and 10,000 miles paid for by MISTI. Now all that’s standing between me and an MIT diploma is ICE 2.

I remember lounging around my suite with a roommate named David and a sophomore named Katy about this time my Freshman year. “Wow guys,” said Katy, “You’re one-eighth of the way done with MIT. How does that feel.” Now, in my mind I know that it was a long time ago because Katy moved in with her boyfriend two months later and we never saw her again (shame, because I think that to this day I owe her a raw chicken breast). But my heart, Anita, but my heart, FEELS like it was just yesterday. And now I’ve got one-eighth of the way left.

Man I’m old.

SUPER SORRY about the lack of blogging for the past month. I promise to write retroactive entries on everything that kept me too occupied to blog, including using 22 M formic acid to fuel you cell phone, a song written on an e e cummings poem, being called “ingenious” by a Pulitzer Prize-winner, going to Blue Man Group, and flirting with Ina Garten.

11 responses to “The Promise of Ending”

1. Emma says:

Hmmmmm…who is Anita?

That was like a blog fakeout Sam, I try to comment and all of a sudden the entry doesn’t exist?

I like this one better though, it actually has a picture of the link. . .

I’m like -1/8 of my way through MIT, w00t! Looking forward to it!

3. Not Mike says:

No one ever uses the term “immaculate conception” correctly.

4. Melissa '11 says:

Immaculate conception refers to Mary’s conception without original sin. Parthenogenesis is a virgin birth.

=)

love the West Side Story reference- if thats what you were going for with the “but my heart…” line, if not, pretend this comment doesn’t exist;)

FOR MANY A YEAR WE’VE KNOWN THESE FIELDS
    AND KNOWN ALL THE WORK THAT MAKES THEM YIELD
    ARE YOU READY TO LEND A HAND?
    WE’RE READY TO WORK, WE’RE READY TO LEND A HAND
    BY WORKING TOGETHER, WE’LL BRING IN THE HARVEST
    THE BLESSINGS OF HARVEST!

Gotta love the Copeland…smile

8. Ruth '07 says:

Degree application?! Thanks for reminding me!
    I totally forgot to obsessively check my grades, too. 4/6 are in, and of course the two I’m least sure about aren’t up yet, and surely, surely there’s someone working in building 3 right now to get those put online. I’ll check back tomorrow morning.

9. Nina says:

DON’T YOU MEAN YOU’LL SEE ME TODAY??!!!???!!!

10. Tina '11 says:

I think the most amazing thing of all was the fact that potatoes can also have undergo parthenogenesis. I didn’t even know there was a difference between male and female potatoes.

But I mean hey, if they can have eyes, why not?

I don’t think I’ll ever look at carb-loading the same way again… smile

11. nghi says:

which e e cummings’s poem? i had to memorize “i carry my heart with you (i carry it in” for my poetry class.