Transfer Admissions Released Next Wednesday, 12/21 by Chris Peterson SM '13

I wanted to post a quick update for our transfer applicants. We will be releasing decisions for transfer students next Wednesday, 12/21.

Emily Sheldon, who coordinates transfer admissions for our office, will be emailing all applicants with their decisions, so you should expect to hear from her directly.

During this transfer admissions cycle we had ~50 applicants. While the selection process has not completed, we anticipate admitting a small number of highly qualified applicants at a rate characteristic of our extremely selective process.

Transfer students are some of the very best MIT has to offer. I highly recommend reading the profile of transfer student Ian McKay featured on the MIT homepage today. It’s pretty wild stuff.

Good luck to all of our transfer applicants!

41 responses to “Transfer Admissions Released Next Wednesday, 12/21”

1. Jay says:

so nervous.

but getting denied 4 days before Christmas is a bit harsh.

2. Bob says:

Wow, after seeing Mr. Mckays profile I realized I didn’t have a shot haha. Pretty impressive stuff. But thank you too all of the admission staff that worked so hard to thoroughly review our applications. I wish the best of luck to all that made it! I will enjoy another semester close to home smile

3. John says:

So is this for the fall semester ?
    I thought we have to apply before mid-Feb and get the decisions in April/May.

And just 50 students. wow!
    I thought it used to be in the 400’s according to MIT stat website.

Good luck to all applicants.

4. Bob says:

For the spring semester only legal residents can apply. The ~400 applicants is in the fall semester which is open to international students as well.

5. jay says:

No. This is for spring 2012 admissions

6. E Martin says:

I wish I hadn’t seen the number that applied, ha ha. That’s going to make it really sting if I don’t get in. It’s one thing when there’s a few hundred people, but when there’s around fifty and you’re not in the handful taken, it’s just a little depressing.

Not giving up yet ^^, just wish I could erase the number from my mind.

7. Jay says:

@E Martin

Goodluck E Martin?!

Gosh….. I can’t wait until Wednesday.. The wait is killing me :/

8. E Martin says:

I saw your comment from the 16th after I posted and thought the same thing.

I’ve been trying not to think about the wait too much, it helps to work on something that you know will be useful to you one way or another. Since I’m on break I’m reviewing topics I’ve been studying and trying to get ahead. See if working on something helps smile

Good luck to you to, Jay!

9. Jay says:

Out of curiosity, what is your intended major? Which part of the US are you from?

10. E Martin says:

Physics, ha ha. Actually, if accepted, I’d petition for a double major (while they told me to narrow it down to one for the application, I do not know of any regulations preventing me from doubling) of physics and math. I’m applying from the south-east. I haven’t seen any information breaking down acceptance by major, and I wouldn’t be surprised if they simply had no reason to make such information public since I’m unsure how it factors into the decision making process.

What about you?

11. Jay says:

Biology :D But I am really interested towards the biophysics spectrum of the major. So I give you major props for being interested in Physics!

I’m a bit nervous because I have taken such a long break from school… I graduated HS in 2005. But took classes here and there while working for the military. Currently a research assistant so I guess that kind of favors me. But we’ll see.

I hope we are awesome enough for MIT :D

If I get denied, the research faculty I work for said he’ll buy me a beer and a tub of ice cream. So I am prepared for denial..
    Beer, ice cream and some sweatpants are waiting for me on the 21st

12. Jay says:

Oh, I forgot to mention I’m from CA

13. E Martin says:

@Jay
    Well, hopefully there’s no need for the beer and ice cream ^^; I’m planning on loading up on independent studies and finding somewhere to go to in the Fall if I don’t get in. One of my professors is hoping to get me doing some real research, which will be nice.

I applied to another place or two for Spring, but I’m really waiting on this decision to move forward with anything.

Good luck again, and try not to be too nervous smile

14. Jay says:

May the force be with you!

Since you’re a physics major:
    May the mass times acceleration be with you!

15. John says:

@E Martin:
    About your comment about the number of applicants who applied, I’ve been in contact with Emily Sheldon (the transfer admissions coordinator) and she told me that, in past years, when they had anywhere from 30-50 applicants, they accepted between 0-5 for fall. So, actually, it’s pretty much just as hard as spring admissions despite the fact that there are less applicants. And now that it’s on the high end of the spectrum (meaning 50 instead of 30), there’s a high chance for a pretty low acceptance rate.

So, moral of the story: Don’t be too depressed if you don’t get in (: I’m sure you’re an excellent candidate – there’s just such a limited number of admit spots that even some great applicants have to denied.

Three more days! Good luck everybody!!

16. John says:

*I meant to say that they admitted between 0-5 for spring so it’s just as hard as fall admission – somehow mixed up my seasons raspberry Sorry if that caused confusion!

17. E Martin says:

@John

I figured as much, it seems reasonable for there to be just about the same competitiveness. I’m just saying that the number has affected my perception is all, I mean, it won’t make much of a difference. If they like me and have space they will take me, if they don’t like me they won’t.

I think I trust their admissions in their decisions, but I still feel like there’s some sort of mysticism behind all decisions processes. Not that they aren’t transparent, more that nobody can know going into it how things will turn out for them. I guess I can take it as a source of excitement, but it feels a little more like nervousness is all.

Good luck to you John, if they took as many as five then the odds of *one* of us posting here getting isn’t so bad, right smile? It’s actually comforting in a way that the applicant pool is so small that with four individuals posting on this thread we have covered around eight percent of the applicants haha.

18. Jay says:

It would be nice if all three of us get in…. Haha.

4 more days?!

19. E Martin says:

@Jay
    Haha, true.

I suppose so, since I don’t think we’re getting our decisions at midnight or anything it should probably come mid-day Wednesday, right?

20. Jay says:

Since we are getting the decision on 12/21

Perhaps, we get it at 12:21pm?

21. Jay says:

Lets see:

December 21:
    – The United Nations adopts the Convention on the Elimination of All Forms of Racial Discrimination.
    – Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs, the world’s first full-length animated feature, premieres at the Carthay Circle Theater.
    – Egyptian–Ottoman War: Egyptian forces decisively defeat Ottoman troops at the Battle of Konya.
    – The city of Bethlehem passes from Israeli to Palestinian control.
    – Birthday of Hu Jintao, Chinese president
    – Birthday of Kiefer Sutherland, my favorite actor

I SAY WE ARE SPECIAL :D

22. E Martin says:

@Jay
    I don’t know if we’ll be that special, haha. Apparently, there’s some back-story to the 12:17am release on 12/17, though I have no idea what it really means.

23. E Martin says:

@Jay

smile I hope you’re right. I’ll be awake waiting for it haha, if it doesn’t come then I might not sleep until it’s out.

24. Bob says:

Man I really didn’t feel the anxiety hit until now. Even though most likely only 2 out of 50 of us are gonna make it, so I can be 96% sure that I didn’t make it, that 4% is gonna keep me awake for the next 24 hours.

25. E Martin says:

@Bob

I know what you mean, try and keep yourself busy with something if you can.

Oh, and good luck ^^

26. Jay says:

few more hours O_O

27. Liz says:

Moderately nervous. Despite already getting into CMU, which I’m very sure that I’d be extremely happy to attend regardless of what decision MIT makes. Just about 12h left to go…

28. E Martin says:

@Liz
    Have you applied before?

Congrats on CMU, I got back positive news from Stony Brook myself (though slightly less interesting, in my opinion).

So you’re estimating 12 hours to go?

29. Bob says:

@Jay
    Only two more and we’re there haha.

I got the bug that’s been going around so I’ve been throwing up all night, and waiting for decisions to be posted. Longest 8 hours of my life haha.

30. Liz says:

Yes, I applied previously for fall 2011 and was rejected. For fall 2011 admissions, we found out at about 11:21am on the announced day via email from [email protected] (subject: “Your Transfer Application To MIT”).

31. HOLOCOS says:

@ Lis
    congrats. CMU is a best place to achieve an academic goal. Good luck to everyone.

32. E Martin says:

@Liz
    Alright, thanks smile

Good luck this time around.

11 am ish ><…can’t wait.

33. Bob says:

@ E Martin
    Thanks good luck to you as well.

@ Liz
    Thanks for the heads up, 11-am-ish isn’t bad.

I wish I could’ve applied as a freshman, as I was supposed to be in my senior year right now. But policies are policies and we’ll just see how things go.

Good luck to everyone! And tomorrow 48 of us can cry together lol jk.

34. E Martin says:

It’s 11:30~ am where I am ): no email yet…

Hopefully that’s not a bad sign ^^;…

Good luck everyone, hope decisions arrive soon.

35. Jay says:

my theory:
    12:21pm

36. Liz says:

It’s almost certainly going to be during working hours, so at most 6 hours to go. I’m betting any moment now though… *fingers crossed*

37. E Martin says:

=/

38. Liz says:

You were right, 12:21pm. ADMITTED!

39. HOLOCOS says:

HOLOCOS SHOULD BE IN THE BOTTLE.

40. E Martin says:

@Holocos

huh?

41. Ian Steward says:

@Chris Peterson

haha … the story makes me laugh .. not that i am impressed. i mean wat did the kid accomplish after alll where are the publications ??
    doesn’t seem to stand out to me a single bit.