MIT student blogger Bryan O. '07

Trick or Treat! by Bryan

Smashing pumpkins, and no I don't mean the band.

I begin this entry with a photo of the aftermath of one Saturday evening.

Here, try this physics problem on for size. If I have a pumpkin and I drop it off the Green Building which is 295 ft, how far will the chunks go in the radial direction when it crashes to the ground?

Answer: Far.

So one of the highlights of this weekend was the annual Pumpkin Drop where students drop pumpkins off the top of the Green Building.

Now I must admit by the end of the evening, I did have a slight crick in my neck for staring up the whole time, but I still managed to have fun as chunks of pumpkin splashed in my face.

10 responses to “Trick or Treat!”

1. And the sodium dump? How long has it been since it was last done?

2. Bryan says:

Eric,

The sodium drop happens at the beginning of the year during Orientation.

– Bryan

MIT students: we drop stuff off high places for fun.

4. Dave says:

Dropping things and blowing them up= two of the main draws of MIT

5. Sodium drop? What sodium drop? wink

6. Matt says:

Every year the MIT students drop sodium into some body of water, i cant remember which, but as you know putting sodium into water yeilds the chemical result of FUN. at my school it yeilds the fire dept. but the kids at MIT im sure are very carefull.

It get dropped into the Charles River.

Yes, they are careful, except, it might seem a little obvious given: several loud “pop” sounds (ok, really loud, like it vibrates all through your insides even if you are far away) plus at least one hundred students (more actually) standing on the Longfellow Bridge…

Hey,

I was wondering what your stats were that allowed you into MIT. I also want to know how it felt being in the minority, being that not that many African Americans go to MIT. By the way I am African American as well. I want to know your stats becae I am not sure whether I should apply or not.

Tony

This is my Xanga site.

Tony

10. farai says:

i was wondering how you get by day by day with the pressures of class and work and what recreational activities does MIT offer to a freshman. I was also wondering what sporting activities are really popular at MIT. What kind of grade point average did you have to get into MIT?