MIT student blogger Snively '11

World AIDS Day 2008 by Snively '11

Spread the word.

Today, December 1st, is World AIDS day, the day when individuals and organizations from around the world come together to bring attention to the global AIDS epidemic. 2008 marks the 20th anniversary of World AIDS Day.

Today around campus people are wearing little red ribbons and the Internet is lighting up with little red ribbons as well. Do your part, spread the word, spread awareness, wear a ribbon, post a ribbon.

There are also some events around campus, including a “film” screening by lbgt@MIT. Tonight at 5:30 they’re showing “Tonsil Trouble,” an episode of South Park where Cartman gets infected with HIV/AIDS. Unfortunately, you all aren’t actually here and can’t actually go to the screening, but I’ve found a link to the episode online. Enjoy!

Click here to watch the episode

18 responses to “World AIDS Day 2008”

1. Lexy says:

…I feel so unaware for not knowing that. Thanks for the update and the link smile

2. Laura Pass says:

Snively, I thought you weren’t going to write again until around December 19th-ish! Anyways I hope you do very well in your exams!!!

3. Brandon says:

Does anyone know when EA decision will be mailed out?
    I’m dying to know! =D

^ Usually the middle week of December.

5. Laura Pass says:

@Brandon

Good luck!!! Maybe you could be the next MIT Rhodes or Marshall scholar!!

6. Jose Maria says:

Does MIT mail out deferred decisions for EA? I won’t have internet for a few weeks!

7. Alim says:

Super-Awesome job supporting World AIDS Day!

8. Brandon says:

@Anonymous (3:01pm)

Do they also reveal the results online? I heard somewhere that it will be at 9am on the 13th or 20th. Is that true?

9. anonymous says:

Last year’s early decisions were posted online at noon (12:00pm) on Saturday, December 15.

10. Adrian says:

Hahahaha South Park both raised awareness for aids and made everyone lol at the same time!

“Thanks for coming to my AIDS benefit!”
    “oh that… we forgot…”

Sorry for the double post, but South Park also brings up a very good point about AIDS being “retro” and cancer taking the spotlight. Recently we had a breast cancer fundraiser and more than half the school sported pink attire for the day. December 1st passed and I didn’t hear anything about AIDS even in the daily announcements.

12. Eek says:

Decisions are posted online at http://decisions.mit.edu or so I heard. smile Anyway, the site won’t be up for a while so…

And yeah, since they usually release decisions on a Saturday in December, the 13th and 20th are the likeliest bets. Good luck to everyone who applied EA!!!! *can’t wait*

13. anonymous says:

can someone write a blog about interesting college interview moments? that would be snazzy

14. Ashfaq masih says:

Hello, God bless you.

@Jose
    Yeah! Why else would soooo many people rave about the tubes?

16. ak says:

Hey,

I am from India and I graduated from my 12th in June 2008 and have already joined a college,but I wish to restart at MIT as a freshman by giving TOEFL and 2 SAT2s in Jan2009.Is it alright.
    Reply soon!

17. AK says:

I have emailed my EC 3 times till now but he hasn’t replied yet.What should I do?Deadline’s on 10th Dec.
    Also,I completed my 12th grade in 2008(June) and have joined a college but I really wish to restart at MIT as a freshman in 2009(fall).Is it alright if I apply as a freshman?

18. I would like to apply for MIT, I am a Chinese student ,If the applicants are living in China ,How he should interview 。How interview 。

thank you .