Yet Another MIT 2010? by Matt McGann '00

Alex Doonesbury needs to choose a college.

In the comic Doonesbury by Gary Trudeau, the character Alex Doonesbury is still deciding on colleges: RPI, Cornell, or MIT? Now, her college decision is up for a vote (aren’t you glad all college decisions aren’t made this way?).

For the next week, you can vote on Alex’s college choice at the Doonesbury Strawpoll.

Interestingly, two recent cartoons indicate Alex will take a gap year, either to “consult for a nanofabrication start-up” in Bangalore, or “following around an influential Seattle band.” So even if MIT “wins,” she might not be MIT Class of 2010 after all.

16 responses to “Yet Another MIT 2010?”

1. Lisa M says:

That’s great! The results broken down by degree is interesting. People with PhDs place more worth on an undergrad degree from MIT than those with BA/BS?

2. MIT grad says:

You guys at MIT had better start voting! As of this morning MIT was the clear winner, but now RPI is now in the lead. My guess is that the RPI students are voting en masse.

“Downside: ubercompetitive atmosphere and an overabundance of all-geek, all-the-time tude.”

GRRRRR. I don’t even WANT Doonesbury in my class NOW.

4. Joe Laurendi says:

How is that a downside!?!? That’s one of the major reasons I chose to take on a huge debt and go to MIT wink

5. I am already wondering about the future application procedure. Will it be quite the same or will things change significantly ? I was wondering for example if I could put some complementary information, by introducing some part of my application, explaining why I chose this or that teacher to talk about me, or why I chose a specific essay, etc, to lighten maybe things up for you (and for me).

Also, are there any Swiss people at MIT, because I would like to have such a contact so I can get more specific and personal information (and with a point of view similar to mine) of how things work at MIT.

Thanks.

6. JKim says:

We’re 5% behind right now.

GO GO GO

7. Sean says:

Yesssss, I casted my vote. MIT better win.

Random question, not sure if this should go here. But maybe you can help me grin

How exactly do we choose our first year courses? I’ve only received a HASS-D packet (which is slightly confusing me on which courses are available, and which we need to take to fulfill the CI and Concentration requirements. Do concentration and the distribution requirements overlap?). When do I get to start choosing math, science, and major courses? Thanks for the help!

8. apoorva says:

loved the 8.022 response…hehe

Just 23 hours 55 minutes and 30 seconds left and we got a lead of 17% (28,779 votes). Go MIT!

10. hahahaha we were behind 4 or 5 days ago by almost 10,000 votes to RPI of all places. then we lived up to a reputation and hacked it.

Let’s hope that no one removes that link from the home page.

It works, but not on campus (All of MIT has been banned from voting…)

12. My name is Masataka Takizawa.I,m a Japanese student.I study Internet English in Takasaki City Univercity of Economics.I have a question.How many Japanese students are there in MIT? Please sent mail me. Please…..

Masataka Takizawa

13. Barbara says:

Alex should go to MIT and live on East Campus, shake things up a bit more.

14. Mike says:

I went to MIT as an undergrad and went to Cornell for my PhD. I can tell you that Alex definitely should go to MIT. Ithaca is dullsville!