You have brains in your head. by Snively '11

You have feet in your shoes.

You can steer yourself, any direction you choose.

Today was my first day at work. Due to a lovely and thick stacks of nondisclosure agreements and the threat of prison I can’t tell you a whole lot about it, but I can give you a basic feel for what I do. I’m given bags of action figure bits. Using my trusty Dremel, super glue, X-Acto, pliers, and anything else I need, I assemble all of the action figure bits into a full-blown (albeit unpainted) action figure! These action figures, models of next years’ toys, are then sent to packaging so that they have a solid model to mold plastic around and things.

Apart from that I’ll also be working with molds, cleaning pieces, and generally just being a helper around Hasbro’s model shop. Hasbro is AWESOME! I mean, let’s face it, I work in a toy factory. Anywho, back to the first line of the post.

I can steer myself any direction I choose, but that doesn’t necessarily mean that I’ll end up going that direction. I commute to and from work every day about an hour. I take a train to RI and then I take a train back. The trip there went really smoothly. The trip back was a little iffy. My main leg was fine, I made it to South Station from Rhode Island, but the train from South Station to MIT wasn’t running (broken or something) so everybody was taken to a bus.

I choose to steer myself: North!

The bus driver chooses to steer: Wherever the (*@#&)&(*$ he wants, as long as it gets us completely lost and takes over an hour.

Seriously, a 10 minute T ride took over an hour because the bus driver couldn’t comprehend what a right turn only lane was. We circled the same huge park twice, in rush hour, on a crowded bus that wouldn’t stop to let people out. It was kind of like something out of a horror movie, only real.

I did eventually make it back to MIT and back into my room. Luckily, through all of it, I had my new toy that I bought at work today.

Ordinarily $15.00, due to my uber-cool employee discount I got him at work for $7.00. My work has a toy store in it, does yours?

In short, the T is normally a very reliable form of transportation, it’ll get you where you need to go, but sometimes it breaks. If it breaks, DON’T TAKE THE BUS! Oh, and if you do, make sure you have a potato head to keep you company.

18 responses to “You have brains in your head.”

1. DanN says:

Sign up for T-Alerts and you’ll know when the Providence train and Red Line subway are running late. Yesterday’s major delay was due to fiery non-goodness at Downtown Crossing. I agree that riding shuttle buses is awful. Even allowing for some chaos during a crisis situation, the T never quite seems to run alternate tranport smoothly.

Good luck with your Hasbro summer! It sounds great; I look forward to hearing more of your adventures.

2. That golden thing is as close as they could get to a crystal skull. See, a Mr. Potato doesn’t HAVE a bony aperture. He has a potato. So a crystal skull SHOULD be a crystal potato. Except crystal means see thru and this guy is made of potato-like brown plastic, so they painted it gold to make it special : )

3. OOps. I said aperture. I meant armature.

I’m so jealous!

5. YZ says:

Hey look, it’s Indiana Jones and the . . . golden egg?

I guess that’s what you get when you try to convert an object from a parallel dimension found in the parallel universe of Indiana Jones into an object from another parallel universe found in the universe of potato-heads.

That Mr. Potato Head is amazing. Seriously.

7. Karen '12 says:

My best friend got me a Bumblebee Transformer for graduation. One that really transforms. It’s pretty much the coolest thing ever.

…go toys smile

8. fagun says:

HELLOOOOOO S_N_I_V_E_L_Y i m new visitor hea.i hav just passed higher secondary education with GPA-5.nd i m interested about MIT.but i know notjing about it.plz help me about it.i know nothing about foreign admission.i m from B A N G L A D E S H.wanna b my good friend???actualy i hav no friend.nd if u b my friend then it will b unbilivable for [email protected] is my address.plz contact with me soooooooon.

9. donaldGuy says:

.. It seems like the spam filter should be able to catch these .. since they all foul up the link such that it leaves a “> behind .. plus they always go, /.+, http://.*“>.+,.+,/ (pop quiz: who knows regular expressions? )

just saying.

Also .. hurray for toys! boo for train track fires!

~Donald

10. Kelly says:

AHHHH SPAM ATTACK!

On a completely unrelated note, I visited MIT yesterday and loved it.

11. Michelle '11 says:

Why in the world are you quoting Seussical: The Musical??

12. sunil kumar says:

yes i have brain ………so,please how to apply for mit…………………..

What do you advise taking if not the T?

14. Kelly says:

Michelle – look at the titles of the last three blog posts on the main page.

15. Julie P. says:

I love the cartoon. Reminds me of my cousin.

16. raj says:

brother, i m seriously aspiring to become a part of mit as a student and i have all you stated. i m an indian student .will you help me ? having no idea about the admission procedure in india . i will prove to be a dangerous competitor if chosen and helped . looking forward towards a helpful email at elixir.mahanta@gmail

17. abhishek... says:

hey bro!!! nice @ see u. im an indian student. i want 2 get to mit. how to apply??
    i,ve just passed higher secondary exams.. pleeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeease help.
    hope to get ur help soon…
    bbye

18. Hafsa says:

@all the students asking how to apply:
    maybe it’s not my job, but you should check the main page and there are little boxes on the right hand-side. Admissions FAQ and stuff. you should check them out first, at least that’s what i think.

LOVE THE POTATO HEAD!!! :D