MIT staff blogger Kris Guay

Your February Updates & Notes Form by Kris Guay

submit this by February 15

Hi Everyone,

The MIT February Updates & Notes Form is now available on MyMIT. Wait! Before you fill this form out, please read some important info below.

First, though, relax! This is easy, and you don’t need to worry about “getting it wrong” — don’t stress!

What is it?
The MIT February Updates & Notes Form is an online form that is required of all students (including those admitted or deferred in Early Action), and is to be completed by you, the applicant. This form serves two purposes: to share your newest grades, and give you an opportunity to mention other updates since you submitted your application.

Who should fill it out?
Everyone! Even those already accepted in Early Action.

When should I fill it out?
As soon as possible after grades are available for the fall semester or second quarter. (If your school uses a trimester schedule, please use your first trimester grades, even if we already have them.) Please send us the form once your grades are released, OR by February 15th, whichever is earlier. The form must be submitted no later than February 15th.

Wait! I won’t have any grades before February 15th!
Even if you have no new grades to report, you should still complete the February Updates & Notes Form. You should then submit your midyear grades to us as soon as they’re available.

My counselor/school already sent my midyear grades. Do I still need to submit the form?
Yes. You are still required to complete the form with your latest grades.

My school does not provide midyear grades or progress reports. Do I still need to submit the form?
Yes. There is an option where you can indicate this.

I am homeschooled. Do I still need to submit the form?
Yes. You should provide any and all grades available for classes you’ve taken in your current academic year.

I am no longer attending school. Do I still need to submit the form?

Got it. Ok, how do I fill this form out?
The form has fields for you to report your coursework and grades. This is similar to the Self-Reported Coursework Form from the Part 2 of the application, except that we’re only looking for current-year courses and grades. And we’re only looking for this from students with something to report. If you’re in a school that doesn’t have midyear grades, or you’ve already graduated, don’t worry, you’re all set – just skip this section.

Next, we have provided you with a simple text box. This is the best place for any new updates you want us to know about. Remember, the final date to submit the FUN Form is February 15th.

But wait, there’s not enough space in the updates section!
Feel free to write in bullet points or use more casual language. This section has a maximum of 250 words. I know that’s not a lot, but do your best to be concise.

How do I fill out the grades section?
Make it clean please. Like this:

BC Calculus 89
IB Chemistry HL 97
Japanese A-

Or, if you have quarter grades:

Biology A, A-
AP Economics 96,92

Or, if you feel like you need to explain something – put it only in the subject section like this:

Java I (taken at B.C.C.) A+
multivariable Calc (Online) Pass

In the “Grades” box, please list only grades, no text. For example, it is sufficient to write “B+” rather than “B+ (Final grade)” or “B+ (online course).”

If your transcript provides quarter grades and a midterm exam grade but no semester grade, you should list the quarter grades and the midterm exam grade. Don’t create your own average, or report your best guess as to what your grade will be. If your school uses a trimester schedule, please use your first trimester grades.

If you have more classes to report grades for than spaces available, just continue reporting them in the updates text box.

Other special circumstances?

• Some schools — including many international schools — have no concept of “midyear grades.” This is okay. You can ignore the text boxes and simply choose the option, “I attend a school that does not provide midyear grades.”
  • Report your grades just the way they would appear on your transcript. No need to convert them to a letter system. If you need to explain your school’s grading system, just put it in the updates section.
  • Some schools will not release midyear grades until after the February Updates & Notes deadline of February 15th. This is okay. You should choose the option “Semester grades will be available on ______________________ and I will mail or fax them to you at that time.” (Don’t forget to actually do that once they’re available too.)
  • Some of you have graduated already and have no new grades to report. You should choose the option, “I’m not currently attending school; MIT has all of my grades.”

You got all that?

We are looking forward to getting your form on time. Thanks for taking care of business!