Through her eyes by Public Service Center

A PSC fellow photoblogs through 5 countries...

This week, we will take a break from reporting directly on the sojourns of Cat, Jessica, Biyeun, Tish, and Shirley. Instead, we will include a photographic journey through many countries, including those of our five usual bloggers. MIT student Christina Kang has spent her summer photographing other Public Service Center fellows as they completed their fellowship projects:

“I realized that my photojournalism could go beyond advertising for [my own cause], but could also serve to celebrate the students’ achievements, teach the MIT community about the problems in other countries, and motivate others to get up and volunteer themselves.”

Christina raised funding for her project with much hard work and dedication. In her blog, “Through My Eyes,” she has posted her photos and thoughts while visiting the following countries:

1. New Delhi, India
  2. Nairobi, Kenya
  3. Kampala, Uganda
  4. Arusha, Tanzania

Here below is a sample of the beautiful photos on her website.

New Dehli, India

“There are several large cultural differences which I find hard to accept, the main one being the aggressiveness and forwardness of the people. There are no lines or right of way, it’s whoever makes it to the front first, and whoever can be the most forceful to get their way first.”

Nairobi, Kenya

“I love the different flavored fantas and they drink tea in the same way as Indians with boiled milk instead of water and tons of sugar. It is quite a treat…”

Hell’s Gate: Tales of Beauty, Adventure, and Sickness.”

Empowering the Disabled from Childhood

Nakawa, Uganda

Do you recognize this photo from last week? It is Uganda’s vice president playing the drums.

“The ruralness of Uganda surprised me as I’ve heard it being called the ‘pearl of Africa.’ Driving into Kampala, the largest city of Uganda, it was like driving into the old downtown of Nashua, New Hampshire near where I attended high school… little to no tall buildings, no jam packed sidewalks or roads, plenty of space between buildings, and relatively clean air minus the dust and the random spouts of exhaust that clouds around me if a matatu (a mini bus that I believe I described in a Kenya entry) drives by me.”

Arusha, Tanzania

“Staying with a host family, I really became integrated into their lifestyles and got to know them on a whole new level. When you live with people, a different connection forms, even in dorm life, however imagine living in the same one-level house….”

Now that you’ve seen some of her photos, you can read more about Christina’s experiences at http://csk07.blogspot.com.

Come back next week for the final updates from Biyuen, Shirley, Tish, Jessica, and Cat! To find out more about Public Service Center fellowships, check out this link.

3 responses to “Through her eyes”

1. This is absolutely amazing. I love how MIT doesn’t concern itself solely on science and academics but also to causes around the world. Keep up the good work!

2. Hawkins '12 says:

One of my good friends is in Kenya right now, and my sis is in the Peace Corps teaching English in Kyrgyzstan. I’ve been to Nicaragua to help build a preschool, and I think it was one of the most rewarding things I’ve ever done. I’m really glad that MIT has this global focus and initiative, and I can’t wait to get involved!

3. José P. says:

Great entry. I’d love to visit so many countries, helping so many people along the way. Africa seems wonderful.