18 and Counting by Chris Peterson SM '13

Congratulations, Professor Diamond!

18 is a fine number, especially when it counts years.

It’s an excellent age for wine, or so I’m told by the sommelier app on my phone.

It’s an excellent age for video games – Mortal Kombat was released 18 years ago now (goodness, I’m old).

And it’s the age of many of our excellent applicants – meaning, all y’all!

It’s also an excellent number of years for MIT. Howso?

Well, 18 is the number of years in a row that the Nobel Prize has been awarded to either an MIT alum or MIT faculty!

Don’t believe me? Check out the timeline.

This year’s Nobel Prize in Economics was awarded to MIT Professor Peter A. Diamond, along with Dale T. Mortensen and Christopher A. Pissarides, for their work on “Search Frictions”, or the costs attendant to searching for employment in down labor markets, explaining why people who are looking for work and companies looking for workers can’t always easily find each other.

Think about that: MIT folks have won consecutive Nobel Prizes for longer than many of you have been alive!

Next year’s MIT Nobel? Well, the minds of the Nobel committee are mysteries to me, but if I had to hazard a guess, it’d be to Tim Beaver, for practicing prognostication:

6 responses to “18 and Counting”

1. ben says:

Yeee!!! am happy for MIT and to be part of the 2015’s.

2. Gaurav says:

WOW!! A hearty congratulations to Dr. Peter A. Diamond……
    And also not to forget the clairvoyant TIM BEAVER……

Hey!! TIM BEAVER!!!!!! JAI HO!!!!!!!!

w00t. Congrats to MIT!! :D

4. Justin says:

Read it in the papers today! =) woots for MIT!

5. Josh says:

The full list:
    2010 Peter Diamond – Economics
    2009 Oliver Williamson – Economics, Ada Yonath – Chemistry
    2008 Paul Krugman – Economics
    2007 Eric Maskin – Economics, Mario Capecchi – Medicine/Physiology, Wei Hao – Peace
    2006 George Smoot – Physics, Andrew Fire – Medicine/Physiology, Edmund Phelps – Economics
    2005 Richard Schrock – Chemistry, Robert Aumann – Economics
    2004 Frank Wilczek – Physics, Aaron Ciechanover – Chemistry
    2003 Robert Engle – Economics
    2002 Robert Horvitz – Medicine/Physiology
    2001 Wolfgang Ketterle – Physics, George Akerlof – Economics, Kofi Annan – Peace, Eric Cornell – Physics, Leland Hartwell – Medicine/Physiology, Joseph Stiglitz – Economics, Carl Wieman – Physics, Barry Sharpless – Chemistry
    2000 Daniel McFadden – Economics
    1999 Robert Mundell – Economics
    1998 Amartya Sen РEconomics, Horst Störmer РPhysics, Daniel Tsui РPhysics, Robert Laughlin РPhysics
    1997 Robert Merton – Economics, William Phillips – Physics, Myron Scholes – Economics
    1996 James Mirrlees – Economics
    1995 Mario Molina – Chemistry
    1994 Clifford Shull – Physics, John Forbes Nash Jr. – Economics
    1993 Phillip Sharp – Medicine/Physiology

http://web.mit.edu/ir/pop/awards/nobel_by_year.html

Interesting facts:
    Most MIT-affiliated winners in one year: 8, in 2001
    In the last 18 years, six of the MIT laureates have been named Robert: Aumann, Engle, Horvitz, Mundell, Laughlin, Merton. (I think I know what I’m naming my first son raspberry)
    Sixteen of the 38 won the prize for Economics
    Four of the 38 were the sole recipient; they did not share the prize (also of note: all four were in economics)

Grats MIT!

6. Thanks for writing this article, and I’m very honored to correctly predict that our Nobel Prize winning tradition will continue at MIT! Let’s continue the strike next year 19, next next year 20, and beyond and beyond!!! Go beaver pride forever!!! MIT rocks!!!