Chris Peterson SM '13

Oct 11, 2010

18 and Counting

18 is a fine number, especially when it counts years.

It's an excellent age for wine, or so I'm told by the sommelier app on my phone.

It's an excellent age for video games - Mortal Kombat was released 18 years ago now (goodness, I'm old).

And it's the age of many of our excellent applicants - meaning, all y'all!

It's also an excellent number of years for MIT. Howso?

Well, 18 is the number of years in a row that the Nobel Prize has been awarded to either an MIT alum or MIT faculty!

Don't believe me? Check out the timeline.

This year's Nobel Prize in Economics was awarded to MIT Professor Peter A. Diamond, along with Dale T. Mortensen and Christopher A. Pissarides, for their work on "Search Frictions", or the costs attendant to searching for employment in down labor markets, explaining why people who are looking for work and companies looking for workers can't always easily find each other.

Think about that: MIT folks have won consecutive Nobel Prizes for longer than many of you have been alive!

Next year's MIT Nobel? Well, the minds of the Nobel committee are mysteries to me, but if I had to hazard a guess, it'd be to Tim Beaver, for practicing prognostication:

Yeee!!! am happy for MIT and to be part of the 2015's.

Posted by: ben on October 11, 2010

WOW!! A hearty congratulations to Dr. Peter A. Diamond......
And also not to forget the clairvoyant TIM BEAVER......

Hey!! TIM BEAVER!!!!!! JAI HO!!!!!!!!

Posted by: Gaurav on October 11, 2010

w00t. Congrats to MIT!! :D

Posted by: Steph on October 11, 2010

Read it in the papers today! =) woots for MIT!

Posted by: Justin on October 12, 2010

The full list:
2010 Peter Diamond - Economics
2009 Oliver Williamson - Economics, Ada Yonath - Chemistry
2008 Paul Krugman - Economics
2007 Eric Maskin - Economics, Mario Capecchi - Medicine/Physiology, Wei Hao - Peace
2006 George Smoot - Physics, Andrew Fire - Medicine/Physiology, Edmund Phelps - Economics
2005 Richard Schrock - Chemistry, Robert Aumann - Economics
2004 Frank Wilczek - Physics, Aaron Ciechanover - Chemistry
2003 Robert Engle - Economics
2002 Robert Horvitz - Medicine/Physiology
2001 Wolfgang Ketterle - Physics, George Akerlof - Economics, Kofi Annan - Peace, Eric Cornell - Physics, Leland Hartwell - Medicine/Physiology, Joseph Stiglitz - Economics, Carl Wieman - Physics, Barry Sharpless - Chemistry
2000 Daniel McFadden - Economics
1999 Robert Mundell - Economics
1998 Amartya Sen - Economics, Horst Störmer - Physics, Daniel Tsui - Physics, Robert Laughlin - Physics
1997 Robert Merton - Economics, William Phillips - Physics, Myron Scholes - Economics
1996 James Mirrlees - Economics
1995 Mario Molina - Chemistry
1994 Clifford Shull - Physics, John Forbes Nash Jr. - Economics
1993 Phillip Sharp - Medicine/Physiology

http://web.mit.edu/ir/pop/awards/nobel_by_year.html

Interesting facts:
Most MIT-affiliated winners in one year: 8, in 2001
In the last 18 years, six of the MIT laureates have been named Robert: Aumann, Engle, Horvitz, Mundell, Laughlin, Merton. (I think I know what I'm naming my first son raspberry)
Sixteen of the 38 won the prize for Economics
Four of the 38 were the sole recipient; they did not share the prize (also of note: all four were in economics)

Grats MIT!

Posted by: Josh on October 12, 2010

Thanks for writing this article, and I'm very honored to correctly predict that our Nobel Prize winning tradition will continue at MIT! Let's continue the strike next year 19, next next year 20, and beyond and beyond!!! Go beaver pride forever!!! MIT rocks!!!

Posted by: Tim the Beaver on October 12, 2010