MITLeaks

Mar 7, 2011

Decision Date 2011

Posted in: Process & Statistics

BREAKING

MITLeaks has intercepted the following confidential cable between top-ranking diplomatic envoys within the MIT Admissions Office:

The cable was accompanied by the following encrypted text, which was broken by double rainbow tables all the way across the sky:

MIT Regular Action admissions decisions will be available online on Monday, March 14, beginning at 9:26PM EDT.

When decisions are released, access decisions.mit.edu and log in using the same username and password that you use to log into your MyMIT account. There are no interim screens, so you should be sure you are ready to receive your decision online before logging in to decisions.mit.edu.

To ensure that you will receive a decision online, please visit https://decisions.mit.edu/verify.php and enter your username and password. The verify page is available now for applicants to confirm their login ability and decision eligibility.

If you've forgotten your MyMIT username and/or password, you may use our automated system to reset it. Visit MyMIT and click on the lost username or password links beneath the log-in box on the right.

We are MITLeaks. Expect...decisions. On Pi Day 2011.

On my birthday :( ahh so nervous!

Posted by: robyn on March 7, 2011

AH! This is so cool. Thank you MITLeaks, and good luck everyone. smile

Posted by: Sarun on March 7, 2011

MIT is cool,
like things in the freezer with
low temperature.

Posted by: Archan on March 7, 2011

ok, guys this is it. the moment of truth. stay cool and no matter what happens, remember that life goes on!

Posted by: Dimitris( 15?) on March 7, 2011

This is so cool. Good luck everybody!

Posted by: Vasif on March 7, 2011

WOOT WOOT!

Posted by: Observer on March 7, 2011

hahaa you guys get to find out 7.5 hours later than usual.

Posted by: Jenny '13 on March 7, 2011

6AM for me? Yay! I'll be asleep. smile

Posted by: Anusha on March 7, 2011

If accepted, when is your final answer due by? I haven't visited yet and am watching for good deals on airfare.

Posted by: Brady on March 7, 2011

I knew it.I logged in at decisions.mit.edu today evening and it was written over there.Was just waiting for an official announcement by Matt.

Hmm.Well still Thank you MIT Leaks.If you can then leak some other info too...Just kidding..It would come when it has too..

Posted by: Bhaskar on March 7, 2011

Finally I see an end to my stalking of the admissions website. Hope for the best, prepare for the worst...5....smile

Posted by: FarhanN5 on March 7, 2011

"hahaa you guys get to find out 7.5 hours later than usual."

@Jenny '13
7.45, actually.

Posted by: James on March 7, 2011

I know the lottery number part was a joke, but the number actually fell in Georgia...lol. My mom is freaking out haha

Posted by: Anthony on March 7, 2011

@Anthony -

Joke? What joke?

Posted by: MITLeaks on March 7, 2011

It is amazing how MIT keeps its date with pi day every year. Fantastic. Good luck to all.

Posted by: Abhishek Oswal on March 7, 2011

@MITLeaks

hahahah you're even better than Julian Assange. Can't wait!!

Posted by: Anon on March 7, 2011

@MITLeaks

Have all the decisions been made or are there still some applications left to be reviewed !

Posted by: Anon on March 7, 2011

Pretty cool way of breaking the news.. about breaking the news. Cheers everybody!

Posted by: Anon Meta '14 on March 7, 2011

well so i assume that the decisions have been made?
including international students?

Posted by: bill on March 7, 2011

Awesome , I can't wait to see if it's heads or tails on the coin I tossed when I applied....plus it's Pi-day and Einstein's (my idol) birthday !

Heads or tails , I'm still gonna study physics and mathematics and enjoy it , so good luck everybody

Posted by: Shahriar on March 7, 2011

@bill -

MITLeaks believes that decisions are at this moment being made and will continue to be made right up until the deadline itself. MITLeaks also could use a nap.

Posted by: MITLeaks on March 7, 2011

My heart is beating like mad!! :D

Posted by: Muhammad Ibrahim on March 7, 2011

MITLeaks, that's a great idea.
Good luck to all us, I'm officially excited now, I hope to Allah all goes well. :D

Posted by: Murtaza Ali Khan on March 7, 2011

I LOVE MIT!
MITLeaks - you are cool
and get some sleep, you deserve it!
SOOOOOOOOO excited

Posted by: superexcited on March 7, 2011

OMG!!!! lolz MIT even have such things as MITleaks raspberry

Posted by: pushp on March 7, 2011

Really excited ! I really hope Allah makes everything go well :D

Posted by: Shahriar on March 7, 2011

yo! wassup chris..oh..uhmmm...i mean MITleaks

Posted by: 0 on March 7, 2011

chris? who is chris. chris is a counterrevolutionary element. not at all like MITLeaks.

Posted by: MITLeaks on March 7, 2011

I love this post.

Where can I get some double rainbow tables?

Posted by: Piper on March 7, 2011

@Piper
Well, I'd assume they're twice as strong as the regular kind

Posted by: Chris M. on March 7, 2011

That's gonna be a long night for some of us. :-D
Good luck guys! grin
And happy birthday to robyn (and about 45 other applicants)

Posted by: SilasP89 on March 7, 2011

@muhammad ibrahim ... u were my best students and i have seen a hidden talent inside u ..
u have the potential to achive everythng.. but do get sucessfull in everythng u need to help my beloved student kumael in his I C T practical.!

admin 27-335
roots school system
DHA-I
contat:0515-521643

Posted by: madam khaija omair (dir roots school)) on March 7, 2011

@Chris M: maybe if the hash was hashed using a different hash, you could square the original strength.

or you could just guess "123456" and automatically crack half of the passwords

Posted by: rfong'12 on March 7, 2011

OMG!!! ☺☺☺

Posted by: Gaurav on March 7, 2011

MITLeaks is great!!!Love it....gud luck guys....give me some best wishes too smile)

Posted by: udboss on March 7, 2011

I just about passed out in class because of this news. Thus begins the longest week of my life, leading towards either one of the best days of my life or a great disappointment. I wish all of the other applicants luck, and hope they feel the same.

Posted by: David L. on March 7, 2011

LETS GET READY TO RUMBLE!

Posted by: Jayanth Krishnan on March 7, 2011

@muhammad ibrahim's teacher(?)
sorry, but someone had to saw it. hella awkward...

Posted by: lulz on March 7, 2011

Thank goodness they redacted my middle name!

Posted by: Matt '00 on March 7, 2011

Good luck guys! With the exception of the haters, it's pretty awesome to get in smile

Posted by: Lauren '14 on March 7, 2011

I cannot wait for decisions.
T Minus 7 days and counting...

Posted by: Austin on March 7, 2011

Lol, "rainbow tables across the sky"
Who comes up with this stuff xD

Posted by: Tushhar on March 7, 2011

Anybody from Azerbaijan, Georgia or Armenia?

Posted by: Vasif on March 7, 2011

looks like this is a special year for MIT, coz 15 is the closest they can get to the value of pi beyond addition to 3.14......nice

Posted by: 0 on March 7, 2011

*beyond

Posted by: 0 on March 7, 2011

Pushing back decisions ~7 hours later than expected... Way to add unneeded suspense!! There will be a total flood of activity from 9:26 to midnight and servers will probably delay our computers. Way to add more suspense!! Just what I need before the biggest decision of my life! Just kidding; I'm not expecting anything - just hoping for the best! I like what Dimitris said too: "Life goes on." Agreed D-tris, agreed. smile

Posted by: Sam ('15 applicant) on March 7, 2011

yay! one week! can't wait!! smile

Posted by: Tara on March 7, 2011

MIT Decision Page Transformation

I created this transformation to help fellow hopefuls cope with the anticipation by possibly making it more fun.
Just follow the instructions below to apply the transformation

<ol>
<li>Navigate here</li>
<li>Drag the Social Decisions link over to the bookmarks bar</li>
<li>Navigate to the decisions page</li>
<li>Click on the recently created bookmarklet</li>
<li>Enjoy smile</li>
</ol>

Posted by: Mark F ('15 ?) on March 7, 2011

Oh, 2am for me in the morning!!!
This is going to be a loooooong night! =)

Posted by: Charlotte on March 7, 2011

@Matt/MITLeaks
I was just informed that I got enough points on the AMC to advance to the AIME.
Does it still make sense to send the admissions office an email about it?

@Piper, Chris
There are always two rainbows. The question is just how to get them in a table wink

Posted by: Keno on March 7, 2011

@Matt - "Thank goodness they redacted my middle name!" - lulz

And finally, we have confirmation on what we'd been expecting for a while now. Big thanks to the entire adcom for working day and night to get us our decisions on time, considering the increase in applicants. And best of luck to everyone. Fingers crossed. wink

Posted by: Vivek on March 7, 2011

This is so exciting! I've been waiting for this day since 5th grade! Good luck to everyone!

Posted by: Kevin Gregory ('15?) on March 7, 2011

This is SO EPIC!!!! Can't wait ^_^

Posted by: Adam on March 7, 2011

This is SO EPIC!!!! Can't wait ^_^

Posted by: Adam on March 7, 2011

LOL @ rainbow table reference
I'm so nervous!

Posted by: Brian on March 7, 2011

Not gonna lie, I laughed. Looks like someone's still doing it for the lulz.

We are

Posted by: Anonymous on March 7, 2011

Tell me your result on Sunday night. God luck to all of us! Hope that there will be something lucky happening.

Posted by: Qing on March 7, 2011

Oh. I've found the *perfect* song accompaniment for this post. "Glitter Hits" by The Styles. Listen to the bridge and chorus carefully. wink

Posted by: Vivek on March 7, 2011

Could anybody answer me: when I received MIT's respond today, it seems that my application hasn't been decided. I am worrying about that right now!

Posted by: Qing on March 7, 2011

Qing -

That is mostly because the decision date is March 14th.

Posted by: Chris Peterson @ MIT Admissions on March 7, 2011

Hi guys, this is my first post here smile

So, the nerve begins now.... its 6:55AM in India when the decisions come out... but it'll still be a great day..

All of you int'l applicants can join our group on Facebook "MIT International Applicants 2015".... we'll have a chatroom shortly before decisions come out..

best of luck to y'all smile

Posted by: Manikandan (15?) on March 7, 2011

Good luck guys!

Posted by: AR '15 on March 7, 2011

Class of 2015 changed the way it was before!

Posted by: Vasif on March 7, 2011

I will finally have memorized more than just 3.14

Posted by: Greg P 15? on March 7, 2011

Good luck to everyone guys!!! Chances look pretty narrowed down to zero.. but I always think.. someone has to get it right? wink LETS HOPE FOR THE BEST!! smile
Hopefully see some of you next year! :D

Posted by: Patricia on March 7, 2011

Oh goodness, I am so nervous now! Good luck to all my fellow applicants! No matter what the decision, we are all still awesome. smile

(P.S. I told my math teacher about how the decision time and date tied in with pi and she pretty much wants to marry MIT now. That's all.)

Posted by: Stephanie :) on March 7, 2011

Oh yeah! Time for more Rock n' Roll now :D

Posted by: The Beaver on March 7, 2011

and now we wait!

Posted by: Cris on March 7, 2011

Let's see who will be the last to comment.
@chris M: remember?
We can also test the capacity of the page by posting a record number of comments.
LAST!

Posted by: Anonymous1 on March 7, 2011

HAHA! MIT is so cool!

Posted by: John 'hopeful15? on March 7, 2011

How to check your decision before anyone else
1. Set up a chat with all applicants on various social networking websites.
2. Log in right before decision time.
3. One minute left: inform the participants that you possess a creature of the equestrian variety.
4. When all your conversational partners have disconnected, check your decision while everyone is fixing their internet.

Posted by: I own a horse on March 7, 2011

This week can't go by fast enough!

Posted by: Josh on March 7, 2011

Good luck everyone! The next week is gonna be ridiculous and sorta fun in a weird way.

Posted by: Corey on March 7, 2011

Just imagine, in 642 years you'll be able to throw a bunch of digits of Pi in there wink

Posted by: Daniel on March 7, 2011

Tho Ecthited!!!

Posted by: Shigeru Miyamoto on March 7, 2011

OMG ! I LOVE YOU MIT and of course MITLEAKS! I hope everyone here gets in. My brother goes to MIT, so I visited the institution during Family weekend. Let me tell you, this is by far the most amazing place you can ever visit and stay at.

Who else is representing CANADA?

SO EXCITED!!!!

Posted by: Sarabjot Anand on March 7, 2011

Oh, yes, this is going to be one long week XD
Thankfully Streetlight Manifesto's got a concert here tomorrow and there's a Mu Alpha Theta competition Saturday to keep my mind off it for a little while...

Posted by: Katie on March 7, 2011

Sarabjot, Im from Canada too, Montreal. Im soo excited I have trouble sleeping!

Posted by: Patrice332 on March 7, 2011

Testing capacity. 3.14 cool.

ReCaptcha: excedne littorea

Posted by: Mike on March 7, 2011

@Sarabjot Anand: Me!

Posted by: Brian on March 8, 2011

It will definitely be a super special PI day for us. Good Luck everyone. If I get in, I'll go buy a lottery ticket with the numbers above as a souvenir!!!
Thank you MITLeak& all the admission people. Luv Yal~

Posted by: candide on March 8, 2011

Any chance we could get some statistics such as total no of admitted students?

Posted by: Srini on March 8, 2011

Uhh... I can't wait!! My heart is beating like crazy!!!!! Good Luck everyone and best luck for me smile

Posted by: Edward'15? on March 8, 2011

wow thanks mitleaks; i am sure julian assange is looking for you with envy :p This 'extracting-decisions-from-pi' idea is totally cool, MIT rocks

Posted by: gaurav on March 8, 2011

Can't wait smile)

Posted by: I Own A Lion and A Hippogriff on March 8, 2011

@Sarabjot Anand
I'm from Canada too!

I think I'll bake pi(e) for my classmates on March 14th for good luck.

Good luck everyone!

Posted by: SD on March 8, 2011

anyone representing tainan, taiwan?

Posted by: ls on March 8, 2011

March 14th, 9:25pm:
mit.edu server 1: How are things going?
mit.edu server 2: Fine, traffic is pretty normal today. How many page requests are you getting?
mit.edu server 1: Oh, about the norma- OH GOD!
mit.edu server 2: What? What is it?!
...
mit.edu server 2: Hello?! What's going on?! One second I was carrying on a conversation with server 1 and the ne- HOLY HE-
...
connection to mit.edu has timed out

Posted by: Alex on March 8, 2011

@Lauren '14

"Screams from the haters got a nice ring to it; I guess every superhero needs his theme music." smile

Posted by: PC on March 8, 2011

Oh, here we go again! Good luck to all of us!!!

Posted by: Tim on March 8, 2011

Such a weird feeling.!
Can't express it.

Results awaited desperately.!!!!!

Posted by: Prince on March 8, 2011

So does this mean the class of 1592 got their decisions at 6:53 PM?

Posted by: Should Be Doing Math on March 8, 2011

@should be doing math -- MIT was established in 1861 and opened in 1865, so the first class would have probably graduated in 1869. So class of 1592 is illogical.

Although the decisions are sort of a life and death situation for myself and my family, I will take a deep breath and say that I'm not overly stressing and wetting my pants for this. I've tried my level best for getting in, and the last bit of the application involves a bit of fate, whose result of course I'll find out with the decision.

For me, since I'm in Abu Dhabi, United Arab Emirates, the decision will come around 5:30pm, a day after Pi Day (3/15). But nonetheless, I'm still anxious, happy, excited, and a bit nervous, but not totally nervous to be shaking tremendously like an earthquake and not being able to think.

And as Dimitris over here said, if we get rejected, life still goes on, so don't be mad at the world for that, I've been in this situation actually (I'm on a gap year as a result) and I acknowledge that life won't end for me. If we get accepted, then you know what happens.

P.S -- To find a better way of keeping yourself happy, cheerful, and stress-free through music, check out the "Alive 2007" videos of Daft Punk.
Start with this one http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vRRmy0QoNAk (a bit hard to believe that this whole album was actually performed live instead of a studio recording and this song along with the album won Grammy Awards.

Posted by: Murtaza Ali Khan on March 8, 2011

OMG! Class of 2015! It is so exciting to think of another set of freshmen apart from ourselves. =)
Best of luck, everyone!

Posted by: Nazia '14 on March 8, 2011

@Patrice332, @Brian, @SD

OMG us Canadians have to definitely get in! I am so excited! WE LOVE YOU MIT!!!

Posted by: Sarabjot Anand on March 8, 2011

This is AMAZING !!! Its gonna be an important day for everyone, I'm really excited and worried. The moment that we are all waiting for is on doors.

From my area, it is about a 7 hours difference so the decision will be available at 4:30 am, this is so exiting smilesmile

BEST OF LUCK FOR EVERYONE =)

Posted by: Hisham7 on March 8, 2011

From my area, it is about a 7 hours difference so the decision will be available at 4:30 am, this is so exciting smilesmile

BEST OF LUCK FOR EVERYONE =)

Posted by: Hisham7 on March 8, 2011

@Hisham -- I guess you're from either Qatar or Saudi Arabia cause at the given time, it becomes an 8 hour difference for me (I'm from UAE).

Sorry, I misread the "pm" in time while conversion, so it comes out in the morning (5:30am) for me, but wait, I'll be asleep by then, I'll just have one sweet dream that night I believe for the acceptance, then let's see what happens.

Hey guys,

Just cant wait! I'm sure everyone here has an interesting story to tell behind our pursuit to get into MIT. Lets just hope there would be a bigger story to tell on decision day.Good luck guys!

Rajah!

Posted by: Rajah Maximum on March 8, 2011

<10%
Very depressing indeed.

Posted by: 0 on March 8, 2011

Less than 10%.....

Posted by: 0 on March 8, 2011

I'm getting 'em at 7.56 am.
Hopefully I shall dream of acceptance the previous night.

Posted by: Yetanotherhopeful on March 8, 2011

"The cable was accompanied by the following encrypted text, which was broken by double rainbow tables all the way across the sky"

Made my day :D

Posted by: Bhuwan on March 8, 2011

There's a 13 hour time difference so I'm actually finding out on Tuesday during school.. (and coincidentally, during everyone's free period)

It'll either be a joyous celebration or a comforting session |:
all the best class of '15!

Posted by: Vic on March 8, 2011

Am I allowed to say,"AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA"?????????

Posted by: geetika on March 8, 2011

I am getting my decision at 3:26 AM and that day I am taking the first part of my school leaving exam :D ...hope I get a good sleep that night

Posted by: Peter on March 8, 2011

@MITLeaks

At times like this, I wish pi was a little bit smaller!

Posted by: Hesham on March 8, 2011

Its true. They dragged me across the sky for this. Sob.

Can't wait to for Pi Day

Posted by: Double Rainbow on March 8, 2011

SO EXCITED!!!
I cant wait to get up at three in the morning and try to access the site for two hours until I find out.
Oh BTW here in Germany it is march 15th so I'm not going to find out on Pi day :(

Good luck to everyone!!!

Posted by: Luca on March 8, 2011

When you smile, I melt inside
I'm not worthy for a minute of your time
I really wish it was only me and you
I'm jealous of everybody in the room
Please don't look at me with those eyes
Please don't hint that you're capable of lies
I dread the thought of our very first kiss
A target that i'm probably gonna miss

Let's go,don't wait, this night's almost over
Honest, let's make this night last forever

When every stupid song reminds you of something...all I can say is, DAMN!!!!!!
BTW, anyone else counting on their "funny" essays??? raspberry

Posted by: Get me IN!!!! on March 8, 2011

Should have known you guys would come up with an awesome way to release the date... definitely lived up to expectations!

Posted by: Phoebe on March 8, 2011

Hahaha! Yes, this is exactly why I want to come here!

Posted by: Rewdan on March 8, 2011

Sooooooooooo exciting and stressful.....
from the first day of the week, i have fallen in stress and it was affected on my studies....

Posted by: Ali on March 8, 2011

This blog seems to be stealing all the attention wink

Posted by: 0 on March 8, 2011

"At times like this, I wish pi was a little bit smaller!"
LOL..Expresses my sentiments exactly.

Posted by: Norah on March 8, 2011

Florida here! You're torturing us with the extra couple hours of waiting.

Posted by: Michael on March 8, 2011

Hey guyz... when it'll be 9:26 pm in USA Eastern time, it'll be 07:51 AM of March 15 here in India :D
Just though of letting you guyz know the correct time smile
(Its round-around the same time as the CBSE results are announced every year, they are also given out around 8 AM whatever be the date! :D So I guess everyone will have a good sleep and be ready before hitting the bookmark on your explorer! :D)
All the best everyone (and me too!)
I'm feeling so anxious about this!

Posted by: Utkarsh Singh on March 8, 2011

it's just sad to see so many international candidates expecting to get into MIT! well, the acceptance rate for int students is less than 3.5% (100/3000)
an international candidate making it to MIT must be one hell of a person+student!
best of luck all.

Posted by: prospectiverejectee on March 8, 2011

Remember folks DST kicks in March 13th, 2011. When it reaches 1:59:59 AM on March 13th 2011, clocks need to be reset (turned forward) to 3:00:00 AM. Essentially 2AM to 3AM on March 13th does not exist in America!<b>

So if your counting down to March 14th, 9:26 PM, remember to take this into account into your countdown calculations!

</b>

Posted by: 0 on March 8, 2011

Wow...I went to decisions.mit.edu while I was in my AP Eco. class. I dropped my phone and literally started hyperventilating.

The teacher comes up to me, and (I can't believe he said this) says: "Do you really find unemployment that interesting?"

Really? smile lol

Posted by: 15erHopeful on March 8, 2011

MIT is so cool. smile
The wait for pi day is killing me. I badly hope that I get in.

Posted by: Muhammad Hassan Tahir on March 8, 2011

Upon clicking that link to PI Day, I feel that it's only right that we/someone put this awesome tradition of MIT onto the page and cite this page (and any other page like this). Whatta ya say, adComms/applicants/current students?

Posted by: Thomas Zaragoza on March 8, 2011

Whatever happen will happen

Posted by: Paul on March 8, 2011

I hope my thirst for MIT becomes granted. I'm very nervous to find out on Pi-Day. Then again whatever happens, happens. Hope MIT truly takes in account the person whom applied,

Posted by: Roxana Chavarria on March 8, 2011

3:26am...nah I guess I'm gonna have to wait till the morning :D
GL everybody :D

Posted by: Nikolche Kolev on March 8, 2011

oh my, stupid man's tax

Posted by: 0 on March 8, 2011

Having flu and also waiting for the decision. what a nice week...

Posted by: Saeed on March 8, 2011

Wow.. I am so ready for the decision!

Posted by: Hang Woon on March 8, 2011

At this point, I'm willing to make deal with the devil...anyone know where the "hell" he lives?????? :|

Oh, right! I ain't Christian :(

Posted by: Gahhhhh on March 8, 2011

I used to be a Metal Head...the application process brought me down to the dirt of Pop-Punk :(...FYI, I ain't goin'below Pop-Punk...what-so-ever....well, not what-so-ever....

Why am I even writing this????????I'm think I'm goin' CRazzzeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee!!!!!!!!!

Posted by: Gahhhhh on March 8, 2011

I think my Cat just said Hello to my dog...

Posted by: Gahhhhh on March 8, 2011

3.14159265358...3.14159265358...

~A paraphrased conversation I had today with my best friend~

Me: “3.14159265358!!”
Best friend: “What?”
Me: “Pi!”
Best friend: “Pie (draws a circle in midair)??”
Me: “No! The number! Pi, like 22/7??”
Best friend: “Congratulations, you have it memorized. Can you get any nerdier?”
Me: “Yes!”
Best friend: “Rhetorical question.”
Me: “You know I don’t like those.”
Best friend: “So what about pi though?”
Me: (very excitedly) “Listen!!! 3.14 = March 14. (very very excited now) 15 - Class of 2015!! 926 - 9:26 pm, time of decision release, (too excited now; people in hallways officially giving me the stare) AND 5358, yesterday’s winning lottery numbers!!! Isn’t that amazing!!!”
Best friend: “Let me guess, MIT?”
Me: “Damn right it is!”
Best friend: “Of course it is. Only they would be crazy enough to think up of something like that.”
Me: “I know!”
Best friend: (smiling widely) “I’m so excited for you. And nervous at the same time.”
Me: (staring off into the distance. I am going through the two possible outcomes in my head and how I’d react to them.)
Best friend: “How do you feel about it all?”
Me: (baffled look) I have to force my foot to stop tapping every time I sit down. How do you think I feel?” <---[rhetorical question!!! ha!]

~~~

If my fellow applicants are having similar rxns, trust me when I say I know exactly where you’re all coming from. For some reason, every time I think about Pi Day, I get this sudden adrenaline rush. Then I start wondering if it was all for nothing, all that planning and care I had put into the application.

But then another thought enters my head and replaces the previous one. It’s not all for nothing--whether we’re accepted or not. MIT’s an unbelievably unique school that naturally attracts passionate people. The reason I fell in love with it in the first place was for that very fact--that everyone there is just driven to learn and grow and practice their craft, whether it’s engineering, architecture, or even history. I wanted to be in a place where I felt at home.

So this leads me to realize my passion for chemistry will not be renounced if I do not get accepted. Obviously it will be incredibly depressing (I will probably cry and bake brownies 3 days in a row). Obviously it’s going to feel like the world came to an end (not in fire or ice, but in a computer screen). But it’s not really so. I know for a fact I’ll love chemistry just the same.

And now I’m here, writing up an exceptionally long comment on an exceptionally beautiful blog posted yesterday. I think I’m venting. Yes, probably venting (technically, to my keyboard, but I’m hoping my words transcend to all the other ’15 hopefuls...).

The point is, do what you love to do...arm yourself with nothing but your passion. Accepted or not accepted, it shouldn’t matter in the end.

Which brings me to a quote I found a couple of weeks ago...I really liked it, especially since I found most people nowadays go for the 6-figure job just because...well, it’s a 6-figure job.

"You can only become truly accomplished at something you love. Don't make money your goal. Instead, pursue the things you love doing, and then do them so well that people can't take their eyes off you." --Mary Angelou

Posted by: Alexandra P on March 8, 2011

I just noticed most people are freaking out in their owns ways...via excitement or nervousness. Then you have those level-headed ones that say things along the lines of "life goes on."

This is all pretty crazy. It's like a crazy prelude-journey to the one that lies ahead.

Good luck everyone!! Wish you all the best!

Oh, God. Foot tapping again. Applicational hazard (haha...er)

Signing out.

Posted by: Alexandra P on March 8, 2011

@AP
Yehhh, totally feel ya....at times like these, don't you just wish you were the baby panda at Zoo Atlanta??Technically, you'd be doing the things you love for the rest of your life :D
I'm SERIOUS!!!
Life's no fair :(

Posted by: Gahhhhh on March 8, 2011

i have an exam that day...hopefully its a good night after

Posted by: DcaB on March 8, 2011

Best of luck 2 all of u guys... Hope that we all get in...

Posted by: Pratyush on March 9, 2011

Though many of us won't get in.... Let us not forget that it is not the end of life.. There are many other hurdles to be crossed and a minor blip should not change the course of our life....

Posted by: Pratyush on March 9, 2011

Going to be an interesting wait for that day.
Until then, it continues...

Posted by: Derek C on March 9, 2011

2011-03-11 17:02:53.61 Eastern Standard Time

.... that is the moment when it is pi days away from the release time.

Posted by: Brian on March 9, 2011

Personally, I preferred 1:59PM to the Class of '15 thing, but I suppose it gives us more digits to work with. smile

Posted by: Cycomachead on March 9, 2011

Ah, I remember receiving a very similar message about 3 months ago, yet not quite so mysterious. How nervous I was and how incredible things turned out. Good luck!!!

Posted by: Sammy '15 on March 9, 2011

That was funny!

Posted by: The Beaver on March 9, 2011

3.1415"9265"... , 9265 is my reversed date of birth (5/6/92)! Probably,this part of the code means that I am accepted, LOL :D

Posted by: Saeed on March 9, 2011

Can't wait! Too excited. Best of luck 2 all of ya

Posted by: Ramanujam on March 9, 2011

Best of luck everybody...
MIT or not, don't forget your dream to become the world's greatest swordsman!

Posted by: Roronoa Zoro on March 9, 2011

Nice sayin...Zoro.... but don't forget I am your captain smile

Posted by: Monkey.D.Luffy on March 9, 2011

How many applicants were there this year and how many spots available are there?

Posted by: Michael on March 9, 2011

Hey matt...
What's your middle name?????

Posted by: anon '15 on March 9, 2011

@Michael -

~18,000 applicants, ~1,500 spots.

Posted by: Chris Peterson @ MIT Admissions on March 9, 2011

I hope the 5358 has something to do with me...!!

Posted by: Sid on March 9, 2011

I'm so nervous..
I'm freaking out! :s

Posted by: Kushagra Agrawal on March 9, 2011

haha! this is why I love MIT

Posted by: Sarim on March 9, 2011

@chris(mitleaks)- does this mean that MIT is set to break all records with the lowest acceptance rate ever ~ 8.33% .....i mean would not this be SIGNIFICANTLY lower than acceptance rates in the previous years?

Posted by: prospectiverejectee on March 9, 2011

hopefully theres good news on the 14th, since MITs gonna be my first decision.
otherwise i might go into a terrible depression or worse a coma!! + i have an exam on that day!!!

Posted by: Rahim on March 9, 2011

Daaamn! :D I figured out the 3, 14, 9, 26 yesterday, but I couldn't find the "15" part! Good luck everyone! smile

Posted by: Vincent on March 9, 2011

This is going to be so peak.

Good luck to everyone. Hopefully, I'll see you all there. smile

Posted by: Ravi on March 9, 2011

lol
...
MITleaks..

Posted by: Nung on March 9, 2011

@Rahim: actually, the acceptance rate is going to be higher than 8.33%, because of MIT's yield… some people who are accepted to MIT choose another school, and Admissions Officers take that into account. MIT's yield rate is 64%, so if Google and I are not wrong, then they should accept a little bit more than 2400 people. That's a 13,5% acceptance rate.

Or maybe Chris was already taking the yield into account, and in that case, there will be even more unhappy faces. I hope ours will have a smile on Pi Day!

Posted by: Othmane on March 9, 2011

hahaha Love you guys! MIT admissions is the most chilled ever!!

Posted by: Bala K on March 9, 2011

hahaha Love you guys! MIT is the most chilled ever!!

Posted by: Bala K on March 9, 2011

othmane - that includes yield.

Ha! Pie day, that's an excellent touch. I love how cleverly you incorporated all of the numbers into the date and time. Pie day is a big deal around KAMSC and its cool to see its special at MIT too. Also, the fact that the lottery numbers actually fell right around the time of release, even better. That beaver better keep closer tabs on his mail.

Posted by: CWund on March 9, 2011

Good luck, everyone! smile

Posted by: Jason on March 9, 2011

Wo the anxiousness, nervousness and excitement finally start building with the overwhelming pressure :O

Guess I'll just play more soccer and Call of Duty to get rid of the extra stress :D

Posted by: Ridz on March 9, 2011

Dear Chris,

What's the number for international admits?
I guess it would be something around 160.
I'm just a bit worried about the context-driven motto of MIT. I hope it's been applied this year to my application. Because, last year...

Posted by: Observer on March 9, 2011

OMGGG i am so afraiiiddd ....but i am not optimistic frankly my SAT I scores are not that good :D

Posted by: Marwan on March 9, 2011

So basically I have to wait until March 15th 2.26am. Stupid spherical world!

Posted by: Anne on March 9, 2011

I just browsed through the page and... wow, everybody is excited or better still anxious. Well, if that may help, GOOD LUCK to you all, just remember why admission officers are called "admission" officers and not "rejection" officers. They do not take delight in rejecting students who are longing for the best of futures, though its definitely necessary sometimes. I got to understand that, if you got rejected in any school(MIT for example), then it was as a result of (main points in order of importance):

1. You were not going to be a happy person there.

2. Your application was not an authentic picture of someone who actually "Loves (e.g) MIT"; a mere tricky guy who heard (e.g) MIT was a good school and is just applying for the sake of it. In other words: YOUR APPLICATION PORTRAYED A FUNDAMENTAL LACK OF INTEREST OR ILL PLACED INTEREST(e.g applying for Rudimentary-Agriculture at MIT). I do not know any admission officers, but trust me, a quality I know they share in common, and in which they all excel is: distinguishing amidst an application pool, "the good", "the bad" and especially "the ugly": respectively, the "genuingly sincere(interested) qualified applicants", the "strategic (tricky) fake(uninterested) qualified applicants", and the last but not the least: the "strategic(opportunistic) guy(applicant) who just woke up one morning and decided to "tryout" (e.g) MIT a bit, without even knowing what (e.g)MIT was all about.

3. You did not match with the single most mystical and unpredictable admission factor: the school's NEEDS in number and level.

i- Number: if the school needs (e.g) a rock 'n roll band, and there are over 5000 singers, or 2000 guitarist... "many are called but few are chosen".

ii- Level: In the 5000 singers, 1000 were confirmed as professional by others (e.g an admission officer him/herself, or an evaluation teacher.) then the remaining 4000 just wrote cursory somewhere that ( I can sing well. ) Okay... you yourself if you were an admission officer in front of this two categories of applicants, who will you give a thumb up to....(conclude yourself).
Each batch is unique according to the school's needs and desired trends. This point is truly the most mystical: it explains why some candidates with a 1600 at the SAT 1, and fairly good SAT 2 scores are admitted to the detriment of some (fake)(uninterested) 2400 SAT candidates. This is where you are TOTALLY helpless.

4. If you look well, I said in point 3 "qualified" applicants. Well, its so obvious that (e.g) MIT is not an elementary school. At least, you reader, you will agree with me that there is a kind of threshold academic level(most basic level) required. (e.g) MIT teachers must build on something a little bit firm, not on sand. They will not bear the risk of taking a meritorious bottom classed applicant into a batch of (e.g) valedictorians. Clear and simple, he/she will never fit fast enough and that brings me back to point 1: "you will not be happy there" after repeating over and over if allowed to. You therefore need at least the basic level, in fact, we all know it. You will not have a series of E's on you diploma or certificate or say 3 200's at the SAT 1 or worst still subject test and you expect admission officers to think you have that basic level. Even a religious admission officer will reject you (in tears).

5. Sorry for scaring you, but there is a fifth cause. God alone is omniscient, we are not. So at the end of the day, you may be sincere, genuing, even qualified... but just like in Animal firm " All animals are equal, but some are more equal than others." Spaces are limited. Sorry but you do not know everybody applying. You may be the best physics student in (e.g) all of Russia... nonetheless, you do not know who is applying with you for the same place. So pray harder even.

6. There is no 6th point I know off... relax and say oufff. Relax...

I read a lot of "I love you MIT"'s up there... well, if you really love MIT then... your application will show it. (e.g) Because I love you I did the following:
I always tried my best to work hard in class, I am humble even with my merits, I wrote my application essays sincerely and I proofread it with others to help, I evaluated the teachers to recommend me and I trusted them, etc. The marking guide was out and WE all knew it. Yeah "we" because I too applied, but I am not really that worried... because I know that whatever comes out as a decision... it will be in accordance with God's will, and I remember this phrase in the book of Proverbs: "Pay attention when God corrects you. Just like a parent who corrects his/her child he/she is proud of, our Lord corrects those He loves" So on both ways I win: If taken(what I sought) I will be the one of the ~1500 happiest human beings on Earth; if rejected... then God really Loves me LOL!!! I encourage you guys to have my state of moral.
Once again... if you are out of all those 5 points above, then pray. If you even just you toe is across a point, then pray harder, if you think you are in deep , still pray. I am not omniscient neither, you may have something that marks an admission officer but you don't know yourself... your chances are still alive. Now pray and smile and LIVE your life friends.

Posted by: M.John (different perspective) on March 9, 2011

smile over my mistakes... LOL!!!

tonight... i shall dream of (e.g.)

@M.John :D

Posted by: Anonymous on March 9, 2011

A day after my birthday, I was still reflecting on what may be next on the joutney ahead. Here is the answer: I am about to get news i have awaited so badly. Whatever the future holds for me, it will be part of the journey. Any experience along the way won't harm.As long as one learns from it.Ooops,why do i even bother thinking about this? let it be the way it should be. I hate that whenever I am in this state of mind(stressed,nervous,excited)I focus more on the probability of the worst to happen instead of the opposite!
ALL THE BEST TO THE HOPEFULS. (no surprise that ma name translates as Hope in english!)

P.S. thanx for all the above comments about some clever tricks to do b4 accessing the decisions page on the day D.hahahahaa u made ma day....

Posted by: Nadege on March 9, 2011

Well, good luck everyone.
This is a very exciting time in our lives and I sincerely hope that it works out for everyone smile

I like MIT, I've never been so amused by an email(that had a heading that made my heart skip a beat)

Best of Luck everyone smile x

Posted by: Reni Magbagbeola on March 9, 2011

Double Secret Probation!

Posted by: 0 on March 9, 2011

lol pi

Posted by: 0 on March 9, 2011

Sunday is going to be a strange day. I'm visiting MIT that day from the west coast and shadowing a student. Then back at the hotel that night I'll see my admissions decision.

Hoping for the best!

Posted by: Brendan on March 9, 2011

Out of all of the 189 commentors, about 25 of us will get in. Hopefully. Best of luck.

Posted by: David L. on March 9, 2011

Best of luck to everyone!

Whether I get in or not, the journey has been great.

Posted by: Jim Bob on March 9, 2011

How about choosing an 'e' day for a change? :D

Posted by: Adam on March 9, 2011

Oh wow! I love how MIT is always so clever and witty with everything! Almost every single blog post from MIT on this site has made me at least chuckle, and if not, burst into laughter. The whole incorporating-pi-into-MIT-admissions-decisions and the "double rainbow tables all the way" just made my day! I'm usually a calm person, so I probably won't be hyperventilating or freaking out any time soon, but I have to admit, this event is something that will probably make a considerable difference in the rest of my life, and I assume the same for others. I'll probably start showing "symptoms" as the date approaches (like randomly reciting the first 8 digits of pi, 12 if I remember those lottery numbers.) But for me, waiting is waiting, there is nothing special about it. But the actual occurring of the event is something worth over-reacting for. I will either jump up and down and and calling every single person in the phone book, or drop down to my knees and scream "WHY!", followed by me accepting what happened, followed by calling every single person in the phone book.
~Cheers.

Posted by: Reuben T on March 9, 2011

well for those of us that don't get in there's always pie,I mean Pi =p

Posted by: Aleiyah on March 9, 2011

lol~
I love MIT humor (:
I'm excited for the decisions release!
Good luck everyone!

Posted by: Karen T on March 9, 2011

LIFE IS A STORY READ YOUR DESTINY!
LIFE WITHOUT DREAMS IS MEANINGLESS!
LIFE IS A TREASURE, LOOK FOR IT!
LIFE IS A LABYRINTH, FIND YOUR WAY IN IT!
LIFE IS JUST A PIECE OF TIME, ENJOY IT!
LIFE IS A PLAY, TAKE YOUR ROLE IN IT!
LIFE IS A BLACK HOLE, BE ITS TORCH!

P.S: whatever you consider life is, live it to the end, struggle for your dreams and aspirations no time for regret, because it worths living it !

Posted by: Aissam on March 9, 2011

As a small note, this message made me laugh and then very happy, yet also anxious. It was then quickly sent to all of my friends. I await my decision with the baited breath of a fisherman.

Posted by: James B on March 9, 2011

I shared this with all my math teachers today. =] Gives me something to focus on other than flipping out over the actual decision.

This is why I applied to MIT- its where im not the only one that thinks math and the like are actually FUN. :D

Hooray for being on the other side of MIT: 6:26 PM on pi day for me. Hope everybody can distract themselves long enough to avoid permanent stress-enduced psychologocal damage! ~~

Posted by: Rachel ('15?) on March 9, 2011

Best of luck everyone! Even if we do not get in, we are still outstanding people for just applying! It means that we will work hard for our future and that we have AMBITION to be better everyday. Almost everyone of us will be outstanding people when we are fully fledged adults smile. GOOD LUCK!

Posted by: Javier Corral on March 9, 2011

it will be on pi day smile
most perfect year ever

Posted by: 0 on March 9, 2011

Who's excited?
I'm excited!

I'm going to go watch double rainbows across the sky in to celebrate/panic/tremble in nerve wracking fear.

Posted by: Shimul on March 9, 2011

Why did I get my email last :(
Just got it today :At least It didn't make my weak anymore frantic than it is smile
Also, what's the likely hood of someone with a 1900 SAT score and who shows a genuine interest in MIT and their intended field getting in?

Posted by: Marco Salazar on March 9, 2011

BRAVO! Its on Einstein's Birthday! March 14, 1879

Posted by: Alexis on March 9, 2011

OH NOOOOOO~
Time to prepare to be mentally prepared? ._.'

Posted by: JXC on March 9, 2011

For 5 more days ~18,000 people can still imagine what it will be like to be accepted at MIT! After that, one way or the other, we'll all have to deal with reality.

Posted by: 0 on March 9, 2011

The time has finally come!!! Good Luck smile

Posted by: Ayana on March 9, 2011

E to the U du dx!
E to the x dx!
Cosine, secant, tangent, sine, 3.14159!
Integral, radical, mu, dv!
Slipstick, Sliderule, MIT!!!!!!!!!

I read that online somewhere smile

Good luck everyone!

Posted by: Kevin Gregory ('15?) on March 9, 2011

http://www.dailyhaha.com/_pics/yo_dawg_function.jpg

how's that for a math joke? calmed me down a bit smile

Posted by: Thomas Zaragoza on March 10, 2011

@Kevin Gregory
Awesome "chant" or whatever you want to call it! =D Where did you find that? Does anyone actually say that?

Posted by: Reuben T on March 10, 2011

Nice joke. :O

Made In Taiwan = MIT raspberry.

Good luck to everyone who applied!

Posted by: Kevin L on March 10, 2011

This is the reason I want to go to MIT...

only 4d 21h 55 min to go

Posted by: Jordan on March 10, 2011

Double rainbows! The wait will be too intense! Thanks for the information MITLeaks; I'll try my best to keep calm for the remainder of the time.

Posted by: June on March 10, 2011

Join me! I'm keeping this constantly open on my computer.

http://www.timeanddate.com/counters/customcounter.html?month=03&day=14&year=2011&hour=21&min=26&sec=00&p0=43

@Reuben T
Yea they do! I found it on this website: http://web.mit.edu/21w785/F98/HTG/mitsongsC.html

I think it's official since it has mit.edu in it.

Posted by: Kevin Gregory ('15?) on March 10, 2011

this is so cool!!!

Posted by: Rita on March 10, 2011

Best of Luck People.
Anyone from Africa? or specifically East Africa?

Posted by: Prem on March 10, 2011

@Kevin G.
Bookmarked both of the links! wink

@Rita
Indeed

Only ~413,000 more seconds to go! o.O;;

Posted by: Reuben T on March 10, 2011

@Prem
I'm from Kenya. Near Nairobi, actually. Nice to see another East African on this board.

I wonder how many people commenting here have applied to 10+ schools?

Posted by: Peter on March 10, 2011

@Prem
Yeah, I am with you.... best of lucks.

Posted by: M.John on March 10, 2011

@Peter
Yep, 13 to be exact. raspberry

Lol, the verification thing used to submit this comment had a word that contained an accent mark! XD

Posted by: Reuben T on March 10, 2011

3 words: All is well.(from the film "3 idiots")

Herald the victors and bless the wounded.
We've all come so far, and so far we yet to venture.
May the best mind stand

Posted by: Zhuchang Z on March 10, 2011

....I am soooo nervous I never expected this to be so soon!

Posted by: Jen on March 10, 2011

Good luck to everybody who wishes and needs to go there. and good luck to myself ^^

Posted by: Kyle Wang on March 10, 2011

I really hope MIT picks me, I can hardly wait till then! ^_^

Posted by: Surya ('15?) on March 10, 2011

M. John and Peter I would be glad we all get accepted and meet at MIT.
So best of luck guys and lets hope we make it.
By the way what course r u applying to.
Im applying for Civil Enginering

Posted by: prem on March 10, 2011

By the way im from TANZANIA !!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Posted by: Prem on March 10, 2011

Seeing the countdown link was a bit funny, well all the best. :D

Anyone from UAE/Pakistan here? I'm sure there are many from the latter.

Posted by: Murtaza Ali Khan on March 10, 2011

I see this is turning into a "OMG! Where are you all from!" type of conversation. I might as well join in and say that I'm from Hawaii. =) Anyone else?

Posted by: Reuben T on March 10, 2011

Yeah Prem
I thought we were all applying as Undergraduates as a whole ie. not to particular departments... LOL. any how. I entered Biological Engineering.

Posted by: M.John on March 10, 2011

@prem also from Kenya

Posted by: Wana on March 10, 2011

erroneous decoding.

It's 9:26 GMT

where "PM" and "EDT" has been decoded from?

Posted by: pt on March 10, 2011

I only applied to one in the US

Posted by: Peter on March 10, 2011

I will get in...
I will get in...
I will get in...
I will get in...
I will get in...

Posted by: Constantine on March 10, 2011

@ John I meant what are ur future plan in the coming years. First year is general for all of us. Anyways best of luck and lets pray that we get in!!!!!

Posted by: prem on March 10, 2011

@M.John - point 2 nailed it.

Posted by: prospectiverejectee on March 10, 2011

@ Kevin - lol at the conversion between the servers.
I'm freaking out over pi day at home although no one there knows what I'm talking about. The waiting has resulted in a series of different emotions for me. One day I'm optimistic and eager for pi day and the days drag by at an unbearable pace. The next day, I'm filled with dread and the days start to feel like hours. Sometimes I'm just calm about the whole issue, willing to accept even rejection (no need to mention that if I'm admitted, that day will be the happiest in my life, atleast up to date). But no matter how I feel, I know that what is best for me will happen. Even if it is rejection. But nonetheless, I still pray to Allah that I'll be admitted. Since so many of you are stating where you are from, I might just as well reveal my whereabouts. I'm from the Gambia. Its in west africa.

Posted by: Ceesay on March 10, 2011

I hate to not also be saying where I'm from..
I'm from Bangladesh , in South Asia...
May Allah help me deal better than I think I will with what he has in store for me on decisions day...

Posted by: Shahriar on March 10, 2011

Hello and GOOD LUCK for everybody!
I can't wait fo that day!
Yes, MIT is cool!

Posted by: Zamirbek on March 10, 2011

@Michael
No, Harvard's acceptance rate will be something like 6% this year... It must have gone down from last year's 7% because they've received a lot more applications this year. So will most top schools for that matter.

Posted by: Sam ('15 applicant) on March 10, 2011

Only 4 days, 8 hours, 26 minutes, 35 seconds left!

Posted by: Reuben T on March 10, 2011

Why are we talking about Harvard??? *tsk**tsk* We all know MIT is much better. smile

Roses are red
violets are blue
if I went to Harvard
I'd hate myself too

As my shirt says smile

Posted by: :) Awesomeness on March 10, 2011

I will be working at that time ,I hope I can fade away for a few minutes smile Good luck to all of you!

Posted by: Sena Nur on March 10, 2011

I'm from Texas!!!!

I too am very nervous for pi day. MIT has been my dream since sixth grade, but I know that I will still be happy no matter what because I love University of Texas - Austin, too! I hope everyone here has a back up school at which they'll be happy. Go MIT!!!

Only 359000 seconds!

I don't think I can handle rejection, but I have the arsenic and punch ready to go! So I guess I'll be OK if it happens.

Posted by: Craig on March 10, 2011

Not 1:59? :'(

Posted by: Eric on March 10, 2011

I'm from Abu Dhabi, United Arab Emirates.... originally from Karachi, Pakistan. My parents moved to UAE some 8 years ago and so I've been here since then. Any applicants from either places here on the blog post?

I've been through the application process before, and I've been rejected (it was another university, and not MIT and other top-notch places). It felt bad since I had put a lot of heart in it. I took a gap year as such, and now had the opportunity to apply (and hopefully study) in a place like MIT. I've (and surely other fellow applicants) have put their hearts out in the applications so let's just hope for the best. My family situations are a bit not stable, and I don't think I'll be able to handle another non-acceptance. But let's be positive and smile, and hope that Allah answers our prayers and make our dreams come to life. :D

I'm so nervous! I get to find out the day after my birthday. I hope I get a good present. smile

Posted by: KL on March 10, 2011

im shaking can't wait to find out

Posted by: Kendall on March 10, 2011

This is so cool~!
WooW
I can't wait !!!

Posted by: Karen on March 10, 2011

@Peter
My family is from/lives in Nairobi, Kenya!Although, I live in America (just outside of Boston, MA). Good luck to you and everyone else!

Posted by: robyn on March 10, 2011

The moment of truth has arrived.
To be or not to be, that is the question...

Posted by: Abhi on March 10, 2011

If decisions come out at 9:26 PM that really means 21:26 so i think they should come out 12 hours earlier
then we don't have to wait as long

Posted by: Annie on March 10, 2011

^ That's exactly what I was thinking!

24-hour system, step it up MIT smile

Posted by: RChoi on March 11, 2011

Exciteddd!! Anyone from Syria???

Posted by: Lana on March 11, 2011

Exciteddd!! Anyone from Syria???

Posted by: Lana on March 11, 2011

I was also wondering..All international students what are your SAT Scores and GPA?

Posted by: Lana on March 11, 2011

Hey y'all, I'm from sunny Florida smile Woot!

Posted by: :) Awesomeness on March 11, 2011

Once while browsing this site I laughed,
in a few days I'll be a bit daft.
I'm waiting because,
not til pi day it was,
until then I'm playing minecraft.

best wishes everyone!

Posted by: Rayleigh Gauss on March 11, 2011

@Lana -- My SAT score is...................................................................................................... I don't believe in numbers. Sure I love maths and science, and I appreciate the mystery behind every number, but I don't use numbers for any sort of comparison, boasting, or relative measure, and numbers don't define any human, we're all more than just numbers.

Posted by: Murtaza Ali Khan on March 11, 2011

If you really love MIT you ...
- have read all the comments on this blog post
- know what rainbow tables are (if not before reading the post, after)
- just experienced an adrenaline rush

:D

If we're talking about where we're all from - I'm from the world's only disputed territory (according to the UN) and live in Saudi Arabia, but I have the maroon book (viz, British passport). Meaning my roots go back to ancient Persia and ancient India.

As for the decision itself:- at times I feel "Oh I'm so getting accepted" and times where I feel "I haven't accomplished anything in my life because of this dratted place I live in! :(", but the reality is - the MIT admissions office employs the use of a modified version of the Bistromathic Drive to determine what applicants will be eating for dinner on the eve of Pi Day.

I quote:
Bistromathics itself is simply a revolutionary new way of understanding the behaviour of numbers. Just as Albert Einstein's general relativity theory observed that space was not an absolute but depended on the observer's movement in time, and that time was not an absolute, but depended on the observer's movement in space, so it is now realized that numbers are not absolute, but depend on the observer's movement in restaurants.

If you, the reader, have no idea what I'm talking about, or regret stopping half way in the great series that is The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy, then stop worrying about your MIT decision and read.

If you really love MIT you ...
- just experienced an adrenaline rush

:D

I quote:

<3

Posted by: Shariq ('15?) on March 11, 2011

@murtaza ali khan, since I'm possibly the only applicant from my country I just wanted to know the standards I'm up against. We all have our opinions and beliefs doesn't mean yours are right or mine are. You can't just expect to fail your school grades and SAT and to get admitted into MIT. So sure we aren't just numbers, but numbers are a big part of what decide your admission decision.

Posted by: 0 on March 11, 2011

Hmmm.... I think I should stop going on this blog every 15 minutes...

Man, I always thought Senior Skip Day would be awesome, but now I find myself constantly thinking about MIT (reading my app like a ga-gillion times) and thinking of my slim chances.

But, always gotta hope for the best right?

Good luck to everyone!
Am Afghan, studying in UAE.
@Murtaza, Yes SAT marks do matter, tho just to let 'em know we pass their benchmark!

I hope neither result will have an ultimate effect on anyone's love for science.

Posted by: Saifu on March 11, 2011

@:) Awesomeness
I'm from Florida too! I skipped out on Senior Skip Day, though. Woop woop~
I'm trying to be as optimistic as possible. But, I fugure that if I don't get in, at least I /tried/, you know? Everyone here commenting and hoping as we are should be so proud that they shot for this. smile

Posted by: Shimul on March 11, 2011

@ prospectiverejectee
I think you should pray hard or even harder. Remember, many other things are considered so... KEEP YOUR HOPE BURNING BRIGHTLY. I am not sure of anything too... but as I told you... in my head... I win in both cases... I'm either accepted (what I wish above all) or God loves me very much LOL!!! So guy, lets keep hoping, and praying, and praying and if we are taken I will make you my best friend ever!!!

@ Lana
Your request is a wicked one.LOL. Posting SAT scores here will gladden some and frustrate many applicants... so plz just wish everyone the best and stay there girl. WOW... that will be a shock. Imagine you realize that about 2000 applicants had scores of over 2300 at the SAT 1 approximately 8000 others have SAT2 scores of 2400... nahh, personally, I might have given up the waiting if I did not know that SAT was not the all on all. ffhewww!!!

@ Craig
Nice plans you have there... Keep up bro LOL. I think hanging will also help you if the arsenic fails. I can mail you a rope... a solid one, just make sure you find a good tree for "better" experiences... hanging gives you time to curse MIT before your departure. Hey, I also know nice curses...LOL are you interested??? LOL. before I forget, hmm, don't forget to tell people around you that you loved them so much. When you reach the other side email me, or better still "facebook" me with pictures to tell me what it looks like, I will be glad to reply to you after I update the Bible with your pictures. Your name will enter history, I mean, the bible, with a book after Revelation:” The Book of Craig” with lots of pictures guy!!! LOL
That was sarcasm, I did not mean it. But if you successfully go, then "facebook" me anyway...LOL

@all of us
GOOD LUCK TO US ALL!!!!

Posted by: M.John on March 11, 2011

@ Shimul: Floridians, I must say, are the coolest people to ever inhabit this planet, right? smile

I live in Ocala. It...uh...has horses (???) - for lack of a better description.

I'm crossing my fingers, toes (although its pretty hard to walk that way), and eyes...haha jk jk. That would be funny though...

hey
does MIT check out the links mentioned in the application?
i have put a custom reporting on my website just to check any visits from MIT and there have been none

Posted by: bill on March 11, 2011

@:) Awesomeness
Most definitely, hahahaa. I live in Polk County. We have cows... ;-;

But yeah, the fingers are crossed! I'm counting down the hours...

Posted by: 0 on March 11, 2011

@bill - I'm sorry that your custom reporting did not indicate a visit from MIT. I had a custom page set up whose link only MIT knew from my application. According to my tracker (I used piwik), I got 3 visits total in the span of 2 days separated by 2 days of no visits in the middle. Interesting...what could it mean??

Posted by: anon01134 on March 11, 2011

Cool

Posted by: zlatan on March 11, 2011

@:) Awesomeness
Oops, lol. That Anon above...yeah, that's me. xD

Posted by: Shimul on March 11, 2011

My math exam is that day! I don't know how much more stress i can take! raspberry

Posted by: Navin on March 12, 2011

@Anonymous who replied to me --- I'm not trying to prove that I'm the correct person, sure there are other viewpoints to the "score theory". I'm just not trying to directly (or indirectly) raise or create any sort of anxiety due to scores. That's all smile

@Saifu -- same thing as I said for anonymous, and yup, nothing can destroy the love for science/math.
You from Dubai I suppose?

Posted by: Murtaza Ali Khan on March 12, 2011

I hope the tsunami hasn't been giving anyone any additional stress. Having to deal with a nerve-wracking admission notification as well as a natural disaster must be horrific. I give my wishes toward anyone affected.

Posted by: Reuben T on March 12, 2011

Yeah pray for the tsunami affected ones.

@murtaza, I restate: Am Afghan, studying in Dubai.
Facebook me at facebook.com/saifullahh

Posted by: Saifu on March 12, 2011

Tooooooooo nervous..... OMG can't wait for the decision!
and oh yeah. as always: epic-ness!
People just keep praying and hope for the best!

Posted by: Ayesha on March 12, 2011

hey

Posted by: bill on March 12, 2011

There's no point in stressing out, we're gonna find out soon , right now , I pray to Allah that the people affected by the tsunami find peace, are safe and are going to have their lives back to normal, or as close to normal as possible....

Posted by: Shahriar on March 12, 2011

my verification contained Chinese characters... what is the meaning of that? just hope it was not a divine sign... LOL

Posted by: M.John=Mr. John (my name is not M.John guys please on March 12, 2011

are the people who have admitted get any email before 3-14-2011?

Posted by: Ali on March 12, 2011

This is so cool smile, good luck everyone !

Posted by: 47 on March 12, 2011

Good Luck yo smile

Posted by: 48 on March 12, 2011

I hope many talented people gets in

Posted by: 49 on March 12, 2011

If I get in: MIT saw in me what I didn't even see in myself.

Posted by: 0 on March 12, 2011

i wish all the people who has tried to get in,get in.
by the way good luck everyone.

Posted by: Ali Baghchehsara on March 12, 2011

OK, people, I know that everyone is excited about the decisions, but I think that we should dedicate some silence to the suffering people in Japan to express our sympathy. Let's just not post anything in 3 hours for that purpose. Thank you!

Posted by: Anonymous on March 12, 2011

@anonymous
and what's the time now? I have to post something

Posted by: Anonymous on March 12, 2011

The Lord is good no matter what. The Bible in the book of Philippians 4:6-7 say.."Do not be anxious but in everything by prayer and supplication, let your request be made known to God and the peace of God that passes all understanding shall keep your heart and mind in Christ Jesus.

All the best to everyone! Peace be with us all no matter what happens.

Posted by: Anonymous on March 12, 2011

Hey Guys,
Did anyone look at that "intercepted letter" well? If so, did you bother asking yourself who that Tim Beaver (sender) was???... well, I too found out and if I am correct, then Tim is the name of MIT's mascot ( a beaver )... so I guess "Tim Beaver" should be "Tim the Beaver", in other words MIT's Mascot is one of the interlocutors in the "top-ranking diplomatic envoys".... my God, Wow... so MIT's mascot can write, and may be talk, and who knows, may be he even takes part in the decision making processes, admitting and rejecting applicants LOL... yet another reason why we like MIT so much... Beavers can talk... what next MIT LOL?

Posted by: M.John on March 12, 2011

Now I am sure guys, HE IS ON FACEBOOK!!!! Oh MIT... and here is his status: "Studied PhD in Course 16 at Massachusetts Institute of Technology...Lives in Cambridge, Massachusetts...In a relationship with P-sets MIT...Knows English, Mandarin Chinese, Spanglish and 7 others...From Cambridge, MassachusettsBorn on January 17, 1914"
What a Beaver!!!!!!!!

Posted by: M.John on March 12, 2011

I am freaking OOOOUUTTTT!!!!! It's almost time!!!

AAAHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!

No wait, Anonymous guy is right. I shouldn't be anxious. I should be praying.

Thanks for the reminder, Anonymous guy, whoever you are!

Posted by: Kyubizt on March 12, 2011

Cold water. Pufffff!
This is like just a little coincidence that happens all the time everyday in life or some one wait to create this coincidence for a long time to just make a little joke. By the way, there was one time I saw four cars passed by me and I saw their car codes. Ha Ha LOL. "YOU888, 0MUST0, BE000A, MALE88" are what I saw. I just felt so lucky.

Posted by: Shihao Liang on March 13, 2011

@Mr. John
Funny, the beaver story ! I will be his friend on facebook lol!

Posted by: Anonymous on March 13, 2011

Today is 13th and tomorrow is 14th lol.....but tomorrow neva gonna come :D

Posted by: excited on March 13, 2011

@Mister John. Nice beaver story. Ulitoka School gani?

Posted by: Derrick on March 13, 2011

Hey Derrick,You speak kiswahili !! where r u from?

Posted by: Prem on March 13, 2011

@Prem Kenya but live in Uganda. You?

Posted by: Derrick on March 13, 2011

why do we must have an english certificate like:toefl ,ielts....? i think that these are more comercial ,we can learn english in 2 weeks if we will stay in usa.i think it is more important the student knowledge.

Posted by: master on March 13, 2011

Hope to get in MIT and tell my mum 2morro, Yea I got accepted! All of us(Who comment here), we will make it!!

Posted by: Milad Ziaie on March 13, 2011

@Milad -- I'm literally in the same boat, I've had 2 rejections now in my 2nd try of application process, and I'm really rooting an acceptance from MIT, it'd be a like a ray at the end of the tunnel for me. If I get in, it'd be a day I'd never forget, where I'll have tears of joy for once.
:')

Posted by: Murtaza Ali Khan on March 13, 2011

AHHHHHHHHH! 89200 seconds left.

Posted by: M on March 13, 2011

March 14 is going to be my best day of my 17 years of life!!

Posted by: SarahChoi on March 13, 2011

You would just be fine, Kyubitz! Take a deep breath and enjoy the ride. Tim Tebow said at one point, there are things in life you have no control over and for a 23 year old to say that, that is brilliant. Life is good, life is beautiful!

Posted by: Anonymous on March 13, 2011

@ Derrick Im from Tanzania (Dar Es Salaam)

Posted by: Prem on March 13, 2011

Well, I've had a countdown timer set for the past few days, and have been tabbing to it incessantly in that time. Bit much? T-minus 20 hours and counting! Good luck, everyone! Now, back to (procrastinating on) my last-minute Comp essay!

Posted by: riffraff11235 on March 14, 2011

Sorry about the double post!

If I don't get in, I won't be disappointed.
I will be successful no matter where I go.

Posted by: Anonymous on March 14, 2011

That's a great philosophy to have, Anonymous.

Today is the day.

I hope I get in raspberry

Posted by: Nung on March 14, 2011

That countdown was exciting at the beginning, but now it is frightful, especially as Caltech just rejected me!!! MUM I'M SCARED!!!!!

Posted by: Anonymous 1 on March 14, 2011

today you guys! good luck to everyone smile

Posted by: 0 on March 14, 2011

Gahh, I'm worried too. This month just makes me have mini anxiety attacks. I'm basically on the same boat as the other anon, waitlisted by Caltech =/ good luck to everyone...man I won't be able to pay attention at school, not that I do anyways anymore, since its 2nd sem.

Posted by: sw on March 14, 2011

Everybody who is worried should open this link: http://www.internationalcounselor.org/

This is especially good for international students who took the A-levels and/or the SAT.
At the end recall what one of our friends wrote up there: "no matter where I go I will be successful"!!!

Posted by: M.John on March 14, 2011

Wow, we pretty much have the same anxiety to go through today. Hope that we all have smiles after today no matter the result.

Posted by: Sirintra on March 14, 2011

nervous...!!

Posted by: Snehal on March 14, 2011

All the best to everyone.

Posted by: Mohit on March 14, 2011

Happy Pi Day!!!

Posted by: Vasif on March 14, 2011

Lets see guys. Less than 12 hrs. Lets see the comments after 12 hrs. Hope you guys get in and never ever forget this day!!!!!

Posted by: Milad Ziaie on March 14, 2011

Mates, 12 hours to go!

Some of us will have MIT '15 next to our names! Lets keep our fingers crossed! Good Luck all! If any of us don't get through, infact many of us won't- then that doesn't spell- Life Ends- it spells- there's life beyond MIT smile

Good Wishes
Sharad

Posted by: Sharad Vivek Sagar on March 14, 2011

ohhhhh my goddddd

Posted by: iamwhtiam on March 14, 2011

HAPPY PI DAY, EVERYONE!!!

Posted by: Logan on March 14, 2011

T - 11 hours 6 minutes...
Good luck everyone smile

Posted by: sript_cypher on March 14, 2011

I am so scared and nervous..And i still have to wait for 10 hours...The decisions come out the 3:30 am my timeee..Im not going to be able to sleep.
:S:S:S:S:S:S:S:S

Posted by: Lana on March 14, 2011

10 hours it is and I can tell that we are all going through the same stress
Lana, the decisions come out at 3.30am for me as well - I guess no sleeping for me too
good luck guys and I hope we all manage to be at a place that is best for us, be it MIT, or any other place that will allow us to be who we want to be

Posted by: bestoflucktoallofyou on March 14, 2011

HAPPY PI DAY OF COURSE! :D

Proof 3.14 = PIE http://dropbox.mcubedsw.com/skitchpics/Pie=Pie.png

Posted by: Wana on March 14, 2011

The decision come out at 1:26 am, not going to sleep! COME OOONNNNN !!!!!!!!!!!!!

Not much longer and we will find out if all our hard work was enough to impress the admissions department! *fingers crossed*

Posted by: Hazen on March 14, 2011

@bestoflucktoallofyou where are you from?

Posted by: Lana on March 14, 2011

Ok... so... this whole week is spring break for me. and I hate it! I have nothing to distract me the whole day except Black Ops (which is a great game btw)... but still. I would much rather have been in school - for the first time in my life smile

Posted by: awesomeness :) on March 14, 2011

Ok... so... this whole week is spring break for me. and this is horrible! I have nothing to distract me except Black Ops (which is a great game btw)... but still. I would much rather have been in school - for the first time in my life smile

The judgement day for some people has already arrived. So best of luck

Posted by: prem on March 14, 2011

Good luck to everyone! While it may have been several years ago for me, I still remember the moment I received my acceptance letter--never jumped so high in my life!

and happy pi day to all! hope you eat 3.1415926(5358979323846264338327950288) delicious pies smile

P.S. my best friend and I were both RAs--we made a ton of pies for our advisees smile

Posted by: Jenn, c/o 2008 on March 14, 2011

btw, for people who don't already know, pi is in MIT's school cheer smile -->

I'm a beaver, you're a beaver, we are beavers all,
And when we get together, we do the beaver call!
E to the U du dx,
E to the X dx.
Cosine, secant, tangent, sine,
3.14159,
Integral, radical, mu, dv
Slipstick, slide rule, MIT!
GOOOOOO TECH!

Just trying to be optimistic for the last time, Today was a long drawn-out time, I try to control myself but this time is useless, GooD Luck everybody!

Posted by: Ghazaleh on March 14, 2011

hi am from Uganda this is my first post here
am sooooooo scared... have to be up at 4.26 to find out if all my hard work was worrth it...
Good luck everyone... Pi day is cool

Posted by: debbie on March 14, 2011

Just 5 hrs and 43 mins. Wowww Good luck every 1, as a usual just relax, best thing to do!

Posted by: Milad on March 14, 2011

Only 5 hrs and 15 mins to go! I am so nervous..

Posted by: Happy Pie Day! on March 14, 2011

ohh man, so nervous.

Posted by: 0 on March 14, 2011

Can't wait until 3:26 pm! ^_^ I feel bad for all of you who are going to stay up until like 4am in the morning! o.O

Posted by: Reuben T on March 14, 2011

Exactly same as me, same time!!!!We'll make it. I'm sure!!!!!

Posted by: Milad on March 14, 2011

@Milad
Are you from Hawaii?

Posted by: Reuben T on March 14, 2011

don't think I'd be able to sleep afterward

Posted by: debbie on March 14, 2011

MIT:))))

Posted by: ana adam on March 14, 2011

Anybody with international olympiad golds can be sure of getting in.

Posted by: anonymous on March 14, 2011

A MIT acceptance can transform your life. Good luck!

Posted by: ratsa ('14) on March 14, 2011

@Reuben T, Nope, I'm Iranian but I'm in UK. Nice o meet you. Hope to meet you in MIT uni!!!

Posted by: Milad on March 14, 2011

@Milad
Was your comment "Exactly same as me, same time!!!!We'll make it. I'm sure!!!!!" meant for the poster above me? Because I don't see how Hawaii can be in the same time zone as any place in the U.K. =P

Posted by: Reuben T on March 14, 2011

1 hour and few more minutes... you know what? I will watch a good film, a 1 hour 50 minutes film. At the end, I will come back here, look at my decision, and post it here. Wait, the film has started... see you, at least I have found a good way to kill time. hihi, bye bye and GOOD LUCK TO US ALL.

Posted by: M.John (different perspective) on March 14, 2011

I'm getting goosebumps just by reading the blogs.Goodluck everyone.

Posted by: Nasser '17 on March 14, 2011

Posted by: Nasser '17 on March 14, 2011

Posted by: Nasser '17 on March 14, 2011

Posted by: Nasser '17 on March 14, 2011

Dear 15er,
In about an hour, your life will be much more amazing !
We are having Pi(e) Night at 9pm here in my dorm, McCormick Hall.
You should join us next year when we all welcome 16ers smile

Posted by: Reyyan '14 on March 14, 2011

One more hour to go!!!
Good luck to all.

Posted by: ps on March 14, 2011

WOW, I am a freshman here and I got nervous just by reading the commments. Good luck to everyone and hopefully you will be here next year!!

Posted by: Kidhanis on March 14, 2011

...so, who amongst us makes the Class of 2015? wink Less than an hour to go.

Love and more
Sharad ...so, who amongst us makes the Class of 2015? wink Less than an hour to go.

Love and more
Sharad <3

Calculus Joke:
What’s the antiderivative of [(d(cabin))/(cabin)]?
Natural Log Cabin! Haha… I crack myself up…. Just trying (nervously) to bide the time.

Posted by: Eric on March 14, 2011

@Sharad
what major are you?
wow, you got quite an application there

Posted by: '14 on March 14, 2011

Time is nearly here...I'm too excited. I gave it my all applying here.

Posted by: 0 on March 14, 2011

We’re almost there, everyone! Good luck! Here’s an old MIT joke I found in a joke book from the 1950’s…

A visiting clergyman conducting exercises at Hobart College used the six letters forming the name of the institution for the headings of the subdivisions of his extended address to students: “H” for holiness, “O” for obedience, “B” for beneficence, “A” for adoration, “R” for righteousness, and “T” for triumph. He gave 15 or 20 minutes to discuss every subject. As they made their weary way for the exit, one student said to another: “Darned good thing we do not attend the MASSACHUSETTS INSTITUTE OF TECHNOLOGY!”

Posted by: Martin! on March 14, 2011

May the force be with me!!!!!

Posted by: Ziye on March 14, 2011

Good luck everyone.

Posted by: Pain on March 14, 2011

Praying for a miracle

Posted by: Christina on March 14, 2011

good luck everyone!

Posted by: nikhil on March 14, 2011

It is going through maintenance..lol

Posted by: Nung on March 14, 2011

do comment here once decisions are released and let us know.

Posted by: nikhil on March 14, 2011