Chris Peterson SM '13

Jul 20, 2011

[email protected]@K at the Class of 2015

Posted in: Miscellaneous, Freshman Applicants, Life & Culture

One thing you may have missed in the site switchover is the fact that we updated our admissions statistics and freshman class profile pages to the newest data from this past year's admissions cycle. 

We always try to provide as much data as we can to make our process as transparent as possible. But before you get to the numbers, here are just a few of the people who help make up the MIT Class of 2015: 

Keep reading to learn a little bit more about the MIT Class of 2015!

Gender

Male 55%
Female 45%

Citizenship & Ethnicity

US Citizens & Permanent Residents
Number of US states represented: 46
90%
African-American 8%
Asian-American 27%
Caucasian 37%
Hispanic 15%
Native-American 1%
Other/No Response 1%
International Citizens
Number of countries represented: 59
10%

Geography

New England 12%
Mid-Atlantic 19%
South & Puerto Rico 15%
Midwest & Plains States 12%
Southwest & Mountain 10%
West Coast, Alaska, & Hawaii 20%
Abroad 13%

Schooling

Public School 67%
Private School 17%
Religious School 8%
Foreign School 7%
Home School 1%
Number of different high schools represented: 862  

Just For Fun

Most Popular Boy's Name Alexander
Most Popular Girl's Name Sarah
Greatest Distance Traveled Melbourne AUS
Least Distance Traveled Cambridge MA
Most Represented US State California

Looks like it's gone from "hard" to "you need to be a demigod" to get into MIT. Sheesh.

Posted by: James on July 20, 2011

No James! Remember: http://mitadmissions.org/blogs/entry/applying_sideways

Posted by: Chris Peterson SM '13 on July 20, 2011

Something that everyone has to remember is that every one of these wonderful, amazing MITers are people too. I personally know all four of the International Biology Olympiad gold medalists, and they are a true delight to be around.

And everyone can be a demigod in his/her own way. You don't have to be scoring gold medals left and right, getting all sorts of awards, recognitions, or whatever. I haven't really won anything in my four years of high school, nor gotten any exceptional distinction. But I made it. Positive thinking, guys. smile

PS. The captchas on this page are WAY too hard. Though not nearly as bad as this --> http://www.nerdnirvana.org/wp-content/uploads/2010/12/humping-grandchildren.jpg

Posted by: Insorak on July 20, 2011

So cool. I think I know one of the mentioned!

And yeah, recaptcha is bad. Should just ask "what is 2+2" or "what does MIT stand for" or something.

Posted by: Anthony on July 20, 2011

Sometimes I wonder... how did I get in again? These students are amazing. They also remind me to keep on going, and to never stop because I still have so much work to accomplish. I can't wait to be their classmates in ~1.5 months!

Posted by: Cathy. on July 20, 2011

The profiles surely are vibrant, illustrious and diverse - and again, go on to emphasize the fact that it doesn't matter what you do, and where you do it - what matters is "how" you do it. Persistence is mission critical to success - and also, to come to a world-class institvte like MIT. And well, I'm a prospective applicant too for the Class Of 2016, but honestly, looking at such an awesome Class Of 2015 doesn't make me skeptical - it makes me feel even more pumped about the challenge ahead. Afterall, everything amounts to what we derive from it - the notion of growth is supreme. And I guess the College Application process is sure gonna dole out tonnes of that, to everybody - admitted, or not! On that note, thanks for such an awesome post, Chris. Cheers! smile

Posted by: Rishabh on July 21, 2011

I completely agree with James. I love how you're always so sincere. You people are the reason we, the non gifted ones, try out. I was reading your famous "It's More Than A Job" just last week!! And look at your blog now. Really, Chris. Really. How are we even suppose to be hopeful if these genius kids get picked? Let's not forget your probably going lower than 9.6%.

Maybe you should open an admission pool like "Ye Are Gods" just for them. Hmm?

Posted by: Farah on July 22, 2011

Will the 2011 blogger application be posted soon?

Posted by: Ciara on July 22, 2011

yep! probably next week!

Posted by: Chris Peterson SM '13 on July 22, 2011

Farah, I believe the admission process tries to look for students who have something more than just intellectual skills. It is more about what the student wants to do with his or her knowledge.

Those amazing kids had the opportunity to do grate things at a very young age. But maybe there are even more dazzling achievements waiting for you in the future, and MIT can help you !!! Give yourself the chance to be like them, or even better !!!

Posted by: Juanita'15 on July 22, 2011

hey clara -

http://mitadmissions.org/blogs/entry/blogger-application-2011

Yay! Thanks!

Posted by: Ciara on July 22, 2011

I am so extremely excited and honored to befriend, study, research, chill, party, discuss, etc. with these people. As far as I've found, everyone has something unique and intriguing to share, and I can't wait to meet the rest of the 2015s! <3

Posted by: Sammy '15 on July 25, 2011

<sigh> I couldn't make it :'(
Congratulations to all those that got accepted. Best of luck, and enjoy everything at MIT. Try to do everything on your 101 list. Enjoy boston/cambridge and MIT. Study well; I hope you all succeed and become great people.

As for me, I'll apply again next year, and if I'm destined to be a part of MIT, I'll be accepted. (hopefully :D)
(The captcha's are getting harder day by day)

Posted by: Sohaib on July 27, 2011

Chris:

Why won't you publish SES for these people?

Posted by: m_quinn on July 27, 2011