[Guest Post] a space for women at mit by Kanokwan T. '25

by Nandini Choudhury (WXGS Assistant Director)

• In 1870, MIT admitted its first woman: Ellen Henrietta Swallow Richards.01 This was a “special case”, one-off situation that did not necessarily set precedent for admitting more women, hence why the next big change didn‘t occur until more than a decade later.
  • In 1882, MIT officially began admitting women to all departments. 
  • Throughout the 1880s, +100 women enrolled as students at MIT.
  • In the 1950s, women made up 1-3% of the MIT student body.
  • In 1964, Katherine Dexter McCormick—a MIT biology graduate—funded the construction of McCormick Hall: the first women’s dormitory at MIT.
  • Fast forward to 2023: MIT’s admitted students was comprised of 48% women. 

The history of women at MIT is long and rich.02 recently, I watched <a href="https://www.youtube.com/watch?si=0K2mg6Ewh4FCSuBg&v=XhH9Gdi4WAY&feature=youtu.be">this documentary</a> about the uprise of female faculty at MIT, and it was AWESOME. do recommend. there<span style="font-weight: 400">‘</span>s also a short video series on the lives of female faculty <a href="https://youtube.com/playlist?list=PLMDhXpDKIzBKp45uWQBQ6ugi7Krkkls8i&si=XWlBZJH1isHqkhOB">here</a> Originally, women were not allowed to enroll—which was normal of universities back in the day— but much has changed since then.03 I have... many thoughts on being a <span style="font-weight: 400">“</span>woman in STEM<span style="font-weight: 400">”</span>. I see the arguments for women-specific programs being adverse to the movement as a whole; I also see the necessity for them to combat what has been. It<span style="font-weight: 400">‘</span>s complicated. But, this blog is not about that (perhaps I<span style="font-weight: 400">‘</span>ll post another one about these thoughts, specifically). As is, this blog is mostly about a really cool lounge, though I thought it was important to at least acknowledge the nuance that comes with gender and fields. One thing that’s changed is dedicated physical space. I’m thankful that there’s a lounge carved out on campus for us: the Margaret Cheney Room.

I’ve studied at a lot of lounges around campus; few have impressed me as much as this one. It feels cozy yet spacious. There are rooms for both the quiet and the conversational. In this space, you can do most anything: I’ve taken naps on the couches, grabbed coffee from the Keurig, and had good work sessions at the river-facing tables. To top it all off, it’s located in the heart of main campus. I thought to highlight this space, so I asked Nandini, one of the main staff members who runs the lounge 04 (and who—I think—brings a warm, friendly energy to the space) , to tell you more about it.

Hello! My name is Nandini Choudhury (she/hers), and I am the Assistant Director of the Women and Gender Services (WXGS). Today, I’m guest posting about the WXGS Office and the Margaret Cheney Room, a study/social space accessible to all women and non-binary undergraduate, graduate, doctoral, and post-doctoral students at MIT.

Our space is located in Building 3, Room 308. The Cheney Room is a lovely space, and if you want to learn about the Cheney Room and the WXGS Office, check us out at studentlife.mit.edu/womenmit!

History of the Margaret Cheney Room

In 1884, recognizing the importance of providing a space dedicated to women’s needs, especially in the context of the STEM fields, MIT founded the Margaret Cheney Room. In light of its founding mission, the Cheney Room underwent a large renovation that was started in 2021 and was completed in February 2023.

Before the renovation, the Margaret Cheney was smaller and many repairs needed to be managed. WXGS received the Margaret Cheney endowment that allowed the renovation to occur, and working with MIT leadership, allowed the space to be expanded to women and non-binary individuals.

The space now exists to promote community and empower all students at MIT who experience gender-based systems of oppression as it relates to being a woman, the experiences of womanhood, and/or the complexities of gender diversity. Gender is nuanced and complex in ways that extend far beyond the original understanding of the 1880s. WXGS welcomes you wholly as you are and encourages you to be your authentic self with us and with others who use the Cheney Room.

Current usage

The Cheney Room is a beautiful, open space with natural light filtering in through the large windows located in the 4 zones: WXGS Office, multipurpose space, kitchen, and the lounge suite.

• The WXGS Office is where the Assistant Director of WXGS primarily works.
  • The multipurpose space is primarily used for events and programs, and has a smart TV with streaming capabilities and can be used to project presentations from a laptop.
  • The kitchen has tables and chairs for sitting, a fridge/freezer, microwave, and toaster oven that the students can use.
  • The lounge suite has a private Zoom room, conference room with a smart TV, a quiet/lactation room, and lockers. The lounge suite also has a Keurig for free coffee, tea, and hot chocolate.
Student organizations

The space is used by over 970 women and non-binary students for studying, attending events, and socializing. 20 student organizations including, but not limited to, Taara, CRWN, MEGAWomen, Shift + W, UWiP, and BWA have hosted their own events and programs in the space as well.

Library

The Cheney Room has a library with 138+ fiction and non-fiction books. The books are curated to foster intersectionality and belonging, and include MIT authors and alumni. The fiction and non-fiction authors are women, women of color, LBTQ+, non-binary, and gender diverse. The genres include, but are not limited to, science fiction, fantasy, comics, non-fiction, and biographies.

art pieces

The Cheney Room also has 22 art pieces created by women and non-binary artists, and a hybrid digital piano donated by Women and Gender Studies.

How to get access

The Cheney Room is open to all women and non-binary undergraduate, graduate, doctoral, and post-doctoral students who are registered at MIT. You can gain tap access to the Cheney Room by filling out the tap access form. Once you fill out the form, WXGS staff members will be notified and will give you access in 24-48 hours. 

We hope to see you in the space soon! 

1. This was a “special case”, one-off situation that did not necessarily set precedent for admitting more women, hence why the next big change didn‘t occur until more than a decade later. back to text
  2. recently, I watched this documentary about the uprise of female faculty at MIT, and it was AWESOME. do recommend. theres also a short video series on the lives of female faculty here back to text
  3. I have... many thoughts on being a woman in STEM. I see the arguments for women-specific programs being adverse to the movement as a whole; I also see the necessity for them to combat what has been. Its complicated. But, this blog is not about that (perhaps Ill post another one about these thoughts, specifically). As is, this blog is mostly about a really cool lounge, though I thought it was important to at least acknowledge the nuance that comes with gender and fields. back to text
  4. (and who—I think—brings a warm, friendly energy to the space) back to text