Christmas in February by Andi Q. '25

Shiny new toys MIT gave me this semester

Yesterday, we were promised a snow day at MIT. Although the snow never quite materialized, I still got to experience Christmas in February after all. Because today01 Yes I know I'm cutting it real close with the time but I had a busy Wednesday okay , I received this mysterious black briefcase in 6.206002 Formerly (and somewhat still) known as 6.115 (Microcomputer Project Lab).

6.115 lab kit

It’s about the size of four honeydew melons (or two watermelons) and definitely does not look suspicious at all. So let’s open it up and see what’s inside!

Me opening the lab kit

WOAH LOOK AT ALL THIS STUFF!!!

All my shiny new electronics!

Just kidding – most of that did not come from inside the briefcase. But I indeed received all of this shiny new stuff in various classes today!

… okay, it’s more like two classes. Specifically, 6.2060 and 21M.370 (Digital Musical Instrument Design). Still, I think it’s amazing how much physical equipment I work with at MIT these days.

There’s a lot to unpack here. (Indeed, I haven’t even finished unpacking everything yet.)

All my electronics, but labelled

1. The (in)famous 6.2060 “Blackbird” lab kit. It’s got most of the electronics we need for prototyping electronic systems like fluorescent lamp ballasts. Check out Audrey’s great blog post about this class from a year ago if you want to see a more decked-out version of the kit.
  2. A lab notebook I’ll be maintaining for 6.2060. (Yes, we still do some things on paper at MIT.)
  3. A digital oscilloscope and multimeter.
  4. A little box of miscellaneous electronics for 21M.370. It’s mostly buttons and wires for now, but we will be building real musical instruments using them very soon.
  5. A dollar bill I got in 6.2060 for answering a question in lecture. I’ve taped it to the inside of the briefcase for good luck.

But wait! There’s even more!

Plenty to keep me occupied all semester :)03 Oh boy I can't wait for those 20-hour-per-week labs in 6.2060
  1. Yes I know I'm cutting it real close with the time but I had a busy Wednesday okay back to text
  2. Formerly (and somewhat still) known as 6.115 back to text
  3. Oh boy I can't wait for those 20-hour-per-week labs in 6.2060 back to text