MIT Early Action Decisions Now Available Online by Chris Peterson SM '13

*Update as of 2015: Early action is available to both domestic and international students.

MIT Early Action admissions decisions for the Class of 2016 are now available at

decisions.mit.edu

You can log in using the same username and password that you use to log into your MyMIT account. There are no interim screens, so you should be sure you are ready to receive your decision online before logging in to decisions.mit.edu.

6,008 students applied for early admission to MIT this year. Because of the shifting admissions landscape, our applicant pool was slightly smaller but proportionally stronger, with more students well-matched to MIT. As a result, this was still an incredibly selective Early Action cycle, with us admitting almost 100 fewer students than we were able to last year, a difficult decision given how awesome so many of our applicants are.

Of those 6,008 early applicants, we admitted 680 students. They represent some of the best and brightest stars of our future. We are honored to welcome them to campus, where they will join the similarly accomplished, diverse, generally excellent community of students who already call MIT home. Our Early Action admits come from 46 states and dozens of countries, representing over 500 high schools all across the world. Though they all do different amazing things – math and music, oceanography and origami, art and athletics, cosmology and cooking – they are all united by their love of science and technology and their desire to deploy them to make the world a better place.

We deferred 3,731 applicants. These students will be considered afresh in Regular Action. For more information on how our Early vs. Regular and deferral process works you can read my post from last year on the subject.

In our review and committee process, there were 1,308 students to whom we were not able to offer admission this year. These students are exceptionally talented, intelligent individuals, but because of the highly selective nature of our process, we did not believe we would be able to admit them this year, and we wanted to let them to know as soon as possible. We wish all of these students the best of luck in the rest of their college admission process.

The balance of the applicants – 289 – either withdrew from our process before we issued decisions or had incomplete applications and were not able to be considered. 

We recognize it's a lot of work for all of you to apply to MIT. We appreciate it. It's an honor to be entrusted with this part of your lives. We try to do what's best by MIT, and what's best by you. And for all the fun we sometimes have on the blogs, we take our work very seriously.

Again, congratulations to the newest members of the Class of 2016. I'll be closing comments on this post to focus the conversations on the open threads for admitted, deferred, and not admitted students.

All best, everyone, and happy holidays.