WISE is a three-day program for rising seniors to learn what it’s like to be an MIT student!
The Weekend Immersion in Science & Engineering program is completely free, including the cost of transportation to and from MIT. We strongly encourage students from underrepresented and/or underserved backgrounds to apply, including Black, Latinx, and Native students, as well as students who come from low socioeconomic means, rural or predominantly minority high schools, or who might be the first in their family to attend college.
WISE begins on Sunday, September 25, in the afternoon and concludes in the afternoon on Tuesday, September 27. (Yes, we know it’s no longer really a weekend.) Participants stay on campus with a current MIT undergraduate student and learn first-hand about academics and campus life. As a participant, you’ll experience our campus community by working with and getting to know current students and faculty. Workshops offer tips on the college admissions and financial aid application process.
Want to know more? Read more about what WISE was like for Kidist A. ’22, one of our bloggers.
Please note: The safety of our community and visitors is our highest priority, so in accordance with MIT Policy, all visitors including minors eligible for vaccination, must be up to date with Covid-19 vaccinations or have a medical or religious exemption in order to participate in any MIT event or program. Being up to date with Covid-19 vaccinations includes the primary series and all boosters if you are eligible.
The cost of transportation to and from campus is covered by MIT for all participants. Details on booking travel are provided to all attending participants. Please do not make any travel arrangements on your own. Participants book their travel through our travel partners. Details are provided to participants closer to the program date.
Accommodations and meals
Participants are hosted by a current MIT student and stay with them in the residence halls. This may be a single-sex or co-ed hall. Participants fill out a host matching form with housing preferences prior to attending the program. All meals are provided for the entire program.
We are no longer accepting applications for the September 2022 program. Check back next summer for the 2023 application.
There is no application fee and completed applications are due by August 5, at 11:59 PM ET. We will notify all applicants in late August. Make sure to check with your parents, teachers, and coaches before applying as the program takes place during the week and you will miss ~two days of school.
And don’t worry, we’ll provide you with a participation letter to take back to your school if you need one.
what you need for the Application
There are a few things that you should have ready before you start the application:
- An unofficial transcript
- Your current standardized test scores and dates if you have taken them*
- Responses to several short answer questions (We have listed them below so that you can prepare your answers in advance.)
*Please note: Test scores are not required to apply to WISE. However, if you have already taken a standardized test, we encourage you to submit your score as it helps us more accurately assess your fit for the program.
short answer questions
We want to learn a bit more about you, and why you are interested in WISE. Be yourself, there is no right or wrong answer!
- Why are you interested in attending WISE? (250 words or fewer)
- Which MIT major or department is most interesting to you right now?
- Based on your previous answer, why does it interest you most? How does it contribute to your interest in STEM (science, technology, engineering, and math)? (250 words or fewer)
- Optional: If you could have one superpower, what would it be and why? (100 words or fewer)
- Optional: What is your favorite song that is out right now and why? (100 words or fewer)
How to apply in three easy steps
Please read all of the steps below before beginning your application!
- Create your account in our application system if you don’t already have one. It is easy and will only take a couple of minutes. If you already have one, jump to step two!
- Click the link below to apply. You are able to save your progress and come back to the application as many times as you need. Save the link or come back to this page to access your application in progress.
- Once you have everything the way you want it, hit submit!
Once you’ve submitted your application there is nothing else that you need to do! We will be in touch when we release decisions in August.
Still have questions? Just ask!
WISE is an MIT Admissions program. If you have any questions, email us at [email protected] We are happy to chat!