Apr 18, 2006

Back From Vacation

I'm back!

Here are the answers to some common questions that have been piling up in my inbox...

Where the heck have you been?!?

April 6-9 was CPW, followed by my first real vacation in over a year. A whole week off! Just got back today - 1000+ emails in my inbox - good times. :-)

What can you tell me about next fall's Orientation and Pre-Orientation programs for admitted students?

Those are run by the Academic Resource Center (ARC) and not by Admissions, so I'm not really an expert on those topics. For the best source of information, please visit web.mit.edu/orientation. You'll find various dates and ARC contact information there.

What is the deadline to accept MIT's offer of admission?

You need to return our form by May 1 (postmark date) if you intend to enroll at MIT.

How much is the deposit to secure my place in the class of 2010? Where do I send the deposit?

No deposit is required. Just be sure to send in the form by the May 1 deadline.

Are you taking anyone from the waitlist this year?

We won't know until a few days after May 1, when admitted students let us know if they intend to enroll.

If you go to the waitlist, when will decisions be made?

If we need to use the waitlist this year, we will begin looking at candidates during the week of May 8.

How can I apply to be an admissions blogger next year?

Contact us in August and let us know that you wish to be considered for a blogging position. As most of our bloggers will be returning, we will likely only be hiring bloggers from the class of 2010 (and perhaps one additional upperclassman).

There is no formal application process, but please note that we only hire experienced bloggers, and therefore your current blog (i.e. your "portfolio") is the major factor in whether or not we choose you. The quality and frequency of your content (and how long you've been keeping your blog) will all affect your chances of being chosen. In other words - if you don't currently have a blog and you want to be considered, you should probably start a blog ASAP. :-)

So what did you do on your vacation, anyway?

I built a swingset for my kids!

Prior to CPW, I used a wheelbarrow to haul boulders out of the woods to make a 32' x 26' perimeter.

On the Monday following CPW, I had 29 tons (yes, 29 tons - it sounded absurd to me too) of gravel delivered to the spot, which was dumped in a big pile. It took all of Monday and Tuesday to distribute it evenly throughout the perimeter of boulders (I used only a shovel). Towards the end of Tuesday, it looked like this:

And then I spent Weds, Thurs, and Fri building the thing:

Not bad for a non-engineer, eh?

On Saturday, my MIT co-workers all came over (with their kids) to test out the finished product and celebrate the end of the admissions cycle. It was quite a party, and we had amazing weather.

Sunday and Monday felt more like real vacation days, which were much appreciated.

And today... I am back.

Next up: my long-overdue personal CPW recap!

Dude, that is a high quality swing set!

Posted by: Christina on April 18, 2006

Extremely far out! High quality Dad. grin (Welcome back!)

Posted by: leftcoast mom on April 18, 2006

welcome back!

That looks like one fun playground for your children. Looks great.

Posted by: dan jang on April 18, 2006

You can always check mine, although the content can swing across multiple spectrums.

So uh, don't be shocked. raspberry.

Posted by: Timur Sahin on April 18, 2006

sweeeeeet =]

Posted by: faye on April 18, 2006

That looks like it's from the same company as our 10-year-old swingset. However, it looks much cooler, and ours doesn't have the little rock climbing wall.

Congrats on finishing the swing set and another year of admissions.

Posted by: Evan B. on April 18, 2006

How'd you get to be such a rockstar?

Posted by: Michael Borohovski on April 18, 2006

Fun!! I want one! Unfortunately, I'm too preoccupied building a hovercraft for physics to have time for swingsets... there is always summer though.

Posted by: Dani on April 18, 2006

Looks awesome. Good work! I guess I had better get started on that blog I've always wanted to do, but never had time for. Gosh. smile

-Jared

Posted by: Jared Sadoian on April 18, 2006

Thats really a great swing, ...."extreme engineering"

Posted by: Arka on April 19, 2006

That is a lovely area you live in. The swingset looks cool. It is interesting that the trees on one side of the swingset are lush green and the trees on the other side practically have no leaves.

Posted by: renuka on April 19, 2006

I want a swingset! Good work, Ben. Being a good dad and all. How cute!! =)

Posted by: Laura on April 19, 2006

Now that's what I call a swingset!

Posted by: thekeri on April 19, 2006

Great!

Posted by: 0 on April 19, 2006

Man! That is one nice swing set!

Posted by: Josh W on April 21, 2006

That swingset is rockin'! grin

Ahh, there's nothing like building stuff over vacation...

Posted by: Biyeun on April 21, 2006

Great Swingset!!

Posted by: Elina on April 21, 2006

oh, I'm so jealous of your kids :D

Posted by: Jess on April 25, 2006

Wow, that is an amazing swing set. I guess the engineeringness of MIT rubs off on you smile

Posted by: Masha on April 27, 2006