Decisions

Dec 16, 2009

Deferred

Posted in: Process & Statistics

We'll have some advice and instructions for Deferred students shortly. In the meantime, please feel free to use this forum to chat.

Guess I'm the first to comment?
Deferred, but I know that I have plenty of opportunities in front of me! I feel it's an honor just to be deferred! Thank you for taking me into consideration MIT!

Posted by: Joe on December 16, 2009

DEFERRED... Now what??

Posted by: Justin on December 16, 2009

now 3 more months of winter

Posted by: anon on December 16, 2009

Yay for not being rejected!

Posted by: Woohoo on December 16, 2009

Now for the long wait...

Posted by: Tony on December 16, 2009

At least it is not rejected.

Posted by: Mo Lam on December 16, 2009

Deferred, hey?

Posted by: Keith Maki on December 16, 2009

Haha can't say I didn't expect that raspberry

Posted by: Jack on December 16, 2009

I'm just happy to be not rejected!

Posted by: Peixuan Guo on December 16, 2009

I agree with "Woohoo" ~!

Waiting is toughhh.

Posted by: Ramya on December 16, 2009

That's too bad.

Posted by: Petar on December 16, 2009

Another 3 months...

Posted by: JF('14?) on December 16, 2009

Deferred isn't so bad. Honestly, I am quite happy to not be rejected!

Posted by: Dave on December 16, 2009

Yep. It's all just another stressful wait again. Well, good luck to everyone, and congrats to all the admits!

Posted by: Geoffrey on December 16, 2009

I just let a huge sigh out because now I'm less stressed! Can't say that I'm too disappointed though.

But now I'm kind of dreading the questions of nosy people at my school...

Posted by: Jess on December 16, 2009

I like how this thread will be at least ten times bigger than the other threads combined. Early D was a painful option.

Posted by: Parker on December 16, 2009

damn it... now i have to apply to all the other schools.

Posted by: Juan on December 16, 2009

Whew...not rejected. That little spark of hope has not died yet!

Posted by: John on December 16, 2009

Welp, less stress now, but in March it's going to be so, so much worse. At least they're interested in me! I love you, MIT! Gimmie a chance!

Posted by: Arthur (14?!?!) on December 16, 2009

Ouch.

Posted by: Nick on December 16, 2009

i am quite annoyed, but at least there is yet hope!

Posted by: Ragini on December 16, 2009

I'd like to work at an admission someday to see what sorts of people colleges really look for.

Posted by: 0 on December 16, 2009

Does anybody know the percentage of the deferred applicants who are eventually accepted?

Posted by: ??? on December 16, 2009

I thought waiting the last week was hard enough. I've been counting hours since 2 days ago. Well, needless to say, I'm a little disappointed. I guess my fate will be decided in three months then.

Posted by: Dan on December 16, 2009

Like everyone, I am happy enough to not be rejected that I can't complain.

"twice inQuest", perhaps that means second time's the charm?

Posted by: Kaley ('14?) on December 16, 2009

I agree with Dave! Being deferred isn't so bad and the fact that I wasn't rejected outright allowed me to give a huge sigh of relief and finally begin to properly study for my calc final tomorrow! There's still hope you guys! Don't worry smile

Posted by: Cherice on December 16, 2009

three month is too long.

Posted by: Lisa on December 16, 2009

wooo...second best?

Posted by: Neo on December 16, 2009

At least I'm still in the running and I got accepted somewhere else today. Not too depressed.

Posted by: Christine on December 16, 2009

Well, I guess i can go back to my normal life of actions now. Enough waiting for a day.
See you guys in three months! And good luck to all(including the accepted and the denied).

Posted by: tree on December 16, 2009

Well. I suppose it's time to restart the countdown and fill out some backup applications. At least it's not a denial.

Posted by: Tyler Devan on December 16, 2009

Sad...very sad. more apps, more wait, more anxiety.

Posted by: Saman on December 16, 2009

I sort of expected this...

Nevertheless I was really hoping that I would be able to get in. Oh well, I guess i'll just have to use those 3 months to make myself a better candidate for MIT. Congratulations to all those who got in!

Posted by: Joshua on December 16, 2009

I was expecting exuberant joy or horrid despair. Instead, I was just quiet. I just sat there, and am still just sitting here. I'm not looking forward to answering "deferred" 50 times tomorrow.

Posted by: Anonymous on December 16, 2009

Oh, well. Maybe come March.

Posted by: Taymon on December 16, 2009

Deferred as expected. I'm not too worried - if I get in RD I get in, if I don't I don't. I've got plenty of other great schools I'm applying to in the meantime, so no need to stress out.

Posted by: Anonymoose on December 16, 2009

What can I say? I am in Limbo. Didn't get rejected but didn't get admitted. Back to waiting...again.

Posted by: David on December 16, 2009

God bless the admissions officers for giving me this chance, and good luck to everyone!

Posted by: David Zhou on December 16, 2009

now we all have time to go back out there and push ourselves for the next three months to prove that we belong here!Good luck to all of you!

Posted by: Snad on December 16, 2009

case western!

Posted by: 0 on December 16, 2009

@Joe
Don't talk like it's over. MIT is *still* considering me. grin I know--I got in RD after being deferred EA. wink

@Jess
Don't worry about their questions. "Deferred" does not mean "rejected." Just look at other colleges and keep MIT somewhere in your mind until RD decisions come out. grin

Posted by: Emily '13 on December 16, 2009

Hello, 3,983 other deferees... I was definitely expecting this, so can't say I'm too disappointed. At least all my work on my other apps won't be going to waste.

Posted by: portofships on December 16, 2009

Well, I'm calmed down now. I'm no longer shaking in nervousness. Here's hoping for a good March.

Posted by: Claire ('14?) on December 16, 2009

It's going to be annoying trying to explain to others that I didn't actually get in, when everyone I know has been convinced that I'll get accepted...

Posted by: Justin on December 16, 2009

Yup. Deferred >.Yup. Deferred >.<

Posted by: Matt on December 16, 2009

i was hoping for a finite decision, didn't happen. now I can forget about it (sort of) for the next 3 months.

Posted by: 0 on December 16, 2009

Well, three more months then? Bring it on.

Posted by: Will on December 16, 2009

Ah. No tube for me then. @???: I heard it's around 8-9%.

Posted by: Southpaw '14? on December 16, 2009

there's still a chance for us

Posted by: 0 on December 16, 2009

Can't say I'm psyched to wait another 3 months, but we didn't get rejected I guess...

Posted by: James on December 16, 2009

It was a 10.4% rate but I mean we can't be too dissapointed guys. Let's just try and spruce up our applications and get thru this with our dignity.

Posted by: Rahul Rege on December 16, 2009

Oh well, no big deal, just have to wait until March.

Posted by: 0 on December 16, 2009

Well it doesn't feel as bad as I expected. (Cuz I expected this. @@)
Well it's an honor to be in consideration of MIT!!
We still get a chance.wink
But honestly, three months is a painful period of time.
@Jess Me too!
@??? I think someone said around 8% ?
Not a pretty number but it's still a number. =)

Posted by: Val'14? on December 16, 2009

So if the majority of people applying EA get deferred, why have an EA option?

Serves me right, I was jumping up and down for half an hour waiting for the answer...oh, wait--try another few months!

Thank goodness I'm at least in the pile of possibles smile.

Posted by: Rachel on December 16, 2009

tomorrow will not be fun telling everyone I got deferred lol...so many of these responses ring true

Posted by: Ben on December 16, 2009

So yeah guys congrats on getting all our stuff in on time! Hopefully a ton of us will get in on the Regular Admissions round!

Posted by: George on December 16, 2009

NO WORRIES. WE WEREN'T REJECTED! Yesssssss! It's going to be weird to go to school tomorrow and find out that people have gotten in (especially since there's one girl at my school who was basically guaranteed to get in!) but I'm happy I can say "I WASN'T REJECTED! MIT...kind of/sort of/a little bit loves me." Hee. Be pumped for March, guys!

Posted by: wingly on December 16, 2009

I'm not disappointed at all, just relieved to be considered even slightly competitive by the admissions folks.

Now I have to do other apps though :(

Posted by: Anshu Chimala on December 16, 2009

Somehow I knew that would happen. I'm not worried, though - I got accepted elsewhere already (at a *certain other school*) so I know I'm going somewhere next year.

To everyone else who's in limbo - don't lose hope, keep doing the things you do best, and be happy. smile

Posted by: Ben '14 on December 16, 2009

Here we go again =/

Posted by: Agh on December 16, 2009

Damn. I'm a little surprised. My friends and acquaintances were convinced I would get in, so I started to expect it. Also, this is the first major academic challenge I haven't succeeded in, so I'm used to things being easy.

I keep thinking I should have tried harder... should have studied more for the SATs... should have revised my essays better... should have taken another year of Spanish... should have, should have, should have. Anyway, I think I have a chance in regular decision.

I'm wondering about the statistics for those admitted in early action. What were the average SAT scores? What did the GPAs look like? How many worked as interns, and how many were involved in research?

I guess what I really want to know is: how close was I?

Posted by: Tim on December 16, 2009

The suspense, heightened merely moments ago, shall build again. Let us wait and see.

Posted by: JVVC on December 16, 2009

*Limbo* is an excellent word to describe Defferal. Butit just means I'm going to push myself THAT much harder.

Posted by: Dan on December 16, 2009

yeah i as well can't wait for those stats to come out. i don;t even know if i can improve my scores, but i'll surely try!
and i've done research at MIT too, oh well, time keeps moving

Posted by: Snad on December 16, 2009

I had a bit of an interesting situation.

I submitted my application part 2 on October 31 for EA, like many did. My Teacher evaluations were submitted at the very least one week before. Also on this day were my music and art portfolios submitted. My music portfolio was simply never received - never evaluated. My evaluation A was submitted six times before it was finally received by the admissions folks. It was faxed four times and e-mailed twice (and then one more time for safety, I guess that makes seven if you wish to count that). It was not received until yesterday at roughly five o'clock EST. The odds are very low for losing of evaluations, but I imagine they are far less for losing an evaluation five times. What are the chances?

Hopefully I was actually evaluated, and not immediately stuck in the defer pile for not having a finished application. Of course I know MIT wouldn't do that, but that was certainly my fear. And maybe my sanity-preservation story. This process has been more than stressful.

Until March...

Posted by: Kevin M. on December 16, 2009

Deferred. I'm happy that I wasn't rejected, and I'm hoping for the best in the Regular Decision round. Good luck to everyone!

Posted by: Shruti on December 16, 2009

uhh, back to apps again and a ton of anxiety. But props for not getting rejected everyone.

Posted by: Jeremy on December 16, 2009

@Tim,

I want to know how close I was too! It's frustrating not knowing if I missed it by a hair or if I am actually at the bottom of the deferral pile.

Posted by: Justin on December 16, 2009

Well guys, this next 3 months are going to really stink. But we've got the holidays to look forward too. Think of it as incentive to really do well on your exams for that mid year report

Posted by: Cole '14? on December 16, 2009

well, we have to remember,that when we started early action, we had 20% chance (statistically). now,we still have about a 10% chance(statistically).

Posted by: Trilok S on December 16, 2009

APPLY TO HARVARD! it's better here.

Posted by: gocrimson! on December 16, 2009

That's super cold. I stared at the clock for literally 5 minutes before I clicked, then there it is. Deferred. On the other hand, I'm not out yet. (neither are 4000 other people though)

Posted by: Ashton on December 16, 2009

At least we are all still in the running! This will be quite the exercise in patience, waiting till March. Best of luck to all of you for when we get our decisions!

Posted by: Brittany on December 16, 2009

Interview at Tufts tomorrow, and Harvard on Friday! Hope i get in somewhere.

Pi Day here we come!

Posted by: Snad on December 16, 2009

Didn't get my number 1 christmas present but at least i have a second chance. I'm going go eat some comfort food now.

Posted by: JpKotyla on December 16, 2009

^ Just what I was thinking XD

Pumpkin pie time!

Posted by: Kay on December 16, 2009

To be deferred is to transcend beyond the dichotomy of "yes" or "no."

To be deferred is to breath out the anxiety of the past.
To be deferred is to breathe in the hope to come.

To be deferred is to discover the opportunity for evolution.
To be deferred is to perceive... am I the fit for MIT? Where do I fit?
To be deferred is to embrace one's qualities that make him or her unique.

It is to find those qualities, to harness our energies, and to mold ourselves into who we truly are. Not to fit MIT's mold, but to fit OUR mold. MY mold.

Three months time may tell,
if with Beavers, we belong.
Three months time may tell,
if not, we shall stay strong.

To be deferred is not NO.
To be deferred is not YES.
To be deferred is
the Absence of Both.
The Potential for Either.

The Great Antithesis, the Great Paradox
To be Deferred.

EA Deferred Applicant 2014

Posted by: Sean Batir on December 16, 2009

I notice they deferred the advice for deferred applicants. Strangely fitting...
Oh well, at least I got into Caltech early.

Posted by: Brent on December 16, 2009

I feel like a ball being juggled. A puzzle piece, if you may, that doesn't quite fit into their definition of a varied and interesting class. I am willing to bet that the white, middle class, and college-educated parents bit didn't exactly wow them at the admissions box office.

Posted by: anonymous on December 16, 2009

@jassayln:

You're right. I score higher than most of the people around me, and it has warped my sense of perspective. The reason why I applied to MIT is to try to fix that.

Posted by: Tim on December 16, 2009

Deferred:
Hmmmm........ :/
If I win any other awards, find out any other facts in my life, can I send it to MIT through somewhere to help the reviewers recieve a wider perspective of my application?

Posted by: Roo on December 16, 2009

I found a disreprency...not sure if this is real or just something I'm overlooking.

On this site (The "EA Decisions" post), the number of deferred applicants is listed as 3893.
http://www.mitadmissions.org/topics/apply/the_selection_process_application_reading_committee_and_decisions/ea_decisions.shtml

However, on this one ("Admissions Statistics for the class entering in the fall of 2009/2010", it's listed as 3594.
http://www.mitadmissions.org/topics/apply/admissions_statistics/index.shtml

Can someone clear this up? Thanks.

Posted by: John on December 16, 2009

@John
The second link contains last year's statistics.

Posted by: Snively on December 16, 2009

@ John
The Admissions Statistics site refers to the class of 2013. Since more students applied this year (for 2014), there will be more deferrals.

Posted by: '13 on December 16, 2009

I guess if we can redo our app essays we will have a new material for 12c). XD

But secind chances are rare and we should all be grateful for that.
Anyways~
Happy holidays everyone! =)

Posted by: Val'14? on December 16, 2009

Just remember guys...whether accepted, denied, or deferred none of us are alone. Wow, fellow deferees, we were actually considered by MIT!!! Feels great if you ask me! We must have done something right. Maybe MIT sees a glimmer of hope in us like we see in our letters tonight...
Good luck to you all and God bless!

@wingly: you put it awesomely and you made my day smile loved your post

Posted by: jen4jesus on December 16, 2009

I think those stats from the second one, are from last years class, aka fall of 2009, we are fall of 2010.

Posted by: Snad on December 16, 2009

@John: 2009/2010 references last year's class. This year's class would be labeled fall of 2010/2011.

Posted by: Fish on December 16, 2009

I'm valedictorian of my class, got deferred. Salutatorian got in. She's female, I'm male. But at least I was right on who would get in. raspberry

Posted by: Harris on December 16, 2009

hey it's better to be deferred than to be denied right?
still got a fighting chance =)

Posted by: charles on December 16, 2009

deferred! I was pleasantly surprised!
now on to my regular apps. fun stuff. (I like how I will still find out my MIT decision before I find out about those. yay for MIT being prompt).

Posted by: allison on December 16, 2009

Plunk.

Posted by: me on December 16, 2009

@Brent: hey, we're in the same boat. smile

Posted by: Ben '14 on December 16, 2009

Ugh. Now I have to do more college apps...what a downer. Not to mention I don't get to tell my teachers I was accepted...oh well.

Here's to March!

Posted by: Tim on December 16, 2009

I really don't understand how you people can be excited for being deferred. I see it as failure. It doesn't matter if we are accepted in the spring, we were still beaten. I apologize for killing the mood but that is just my viewpoint

Posted by: Aimon on December 16, 2009

*sign* deferred...have to wait again. I was so tense today that i barely had any sleep last night...and to find out that it was a deferred.

well, at least i didnt get rejected right off the back, that means there's still hope...

Posted by: Knight on December 16, 2009

Don't lose hope guys!

Having been deferred in EA and then waitlisted in RD and finally being accepted in April, I can assure you that it is well worth any wait!

Posted by: '13 on December 16, 2009

I would have to agree with Aimon...

Why should anyone be happy with being "second best"?

Posted by: 0 on December 16, 2009

really sad about not being accepted, but it's better than being denied....

Posted by: Hang on December 16, 2009

I don't care - MIT AND Caltech didn't reject me! I can deal...'cause it's not second best, it's simply not perfect - and assuming we're people, nobody's always perfect :D

Posted by: monica on December 16, 2009

@Aimon: Being able to go to MIT, no matter which admission cycle you're admitted to, is an awesome thing to be able to do. Yeah, if you want to look at it that way, you were beaten in the EA cycle, but so what? You still have a fighting chance to get in, and if you make it in the RA cycle, you'll still basically have won.

Don't lose hope - it ain't over 'till it's over. smile

Posted by: Ben '14 on December 16, 2009

I'm really glad to say I was deferred.

I spent the entire day, scenarios running through my mind. I'd kept feeling bursts of hope and moments of severe depression. I kept comparing myself to my friends who applied-all were deferred as well. -pause to stir banana bread-

It's great to know I'm still in the pool, to know that there's some reason I wasn't straight out rejected =]

Good luck to all of us, and congratulations to those who got in!

Posted by: Jordyn on December 16, 2009

*sigh*.....'tis disappointing, to be sure. and it's not particularly encouraging to hear "the majority of students who apply in Early Action are deferred. In previous years, up to several hundred of them have subsequently been admitted in Regular Action." Woohoo! We STILL only have, what, an 10% chance of getting in? But it IS better than getting outright rejected (although it sounds like from the letter than not many were outright rejected--just deferred)

Does anyone know what we should DO if we're deferred, besides send in our midyear reports? Do they want "I love you MIT" letters from us or anything? Extra teacher recs? Thanks guys!

Posted by: Lauren on December 16, 2009

@ Aimon
Really, it's only being beaten if you see it as a competition in the first place. College applications shouldn't be about "who can get into the most Ivies" or doing better than your cousin/classmate/neighbor's kid. It should be about finding the place you'll fit in best to live and learn for the next four years. In that view, it really doesn't matter whether you get in early or regular. And when you arrive at MIT, everyone pretty much leaves that at the door, along with the SAT scores and research awards and etc.
Also, if you keep up the competitive attitude, you may find it really hard to thrive and be happy here, so I'd strongly suggest that competition not be your focus.

If every college were as good as the best of them, and every student could graduate high school knowing they were headed for an excellent education, what a wonderful world that would be, no?

@ Everyone else
If you were deferred, don't worry too much about your SAT scores! If MIT didn't think you were smart enough handle it here, you probably wouldn't still be in the pile.

On that note, wow, I should really stop stalking my high school friends and study for tomorrow's 12.003 final wink

Posted by: Reena '13 on December 16, 2009

@ Aimon: Really? Being beaten? I would consider it an honor to be accepted to one of the most prestigious universities in the world. I don't give a damn whether I'm accepted EA or RD if I eventually make it in.

Posted by: Alex on December 16, 2009

Deferred.

But we need to have something more important than any college acceptance: patience. We will become what we know we are.

In the meantime, no stress guys. Hakuna matata.

Now I have to start my homework! It's like MIT planned for this to happen. 9 pm? Seriously?

Posted by: AVoice on December 16, 2009

Sigh...more waiting

Posted by: Lou on December 16, 2009

Thanks MIT for considering me and giving me a
second chance. I have always wanted to go to
MIT, it is my dream. I have been accepted to 3
other colleges really great schools, but I
really want to go to MIT. I do not feel beaten
I feel honored to even be considered.

Posted by: Hannah on December 16, 2009

I don't think I'll be able to sleep tonight. Hah.

Posted by: 0 on December 16, 2009

I know why I was deferred.... and I know I'm not getting in RD. So, it's Chicago for me! I'm kinda glad it happened this way, though. I think Chicago will be a better fit in many ways. MIT is just too intense for me.

Good luck to all of you!

Posted by: Katie on December 16, 2009

This reminds me of a not-so-pertinent poem by Langston Hughes!

What happens to a dream deferred?

Does it dry up
like a raisin in the sun?
Or fester like a sore--
And then run?
Does it stink like rotten meat?
Or crust and sugar over--
like a syrupy sweet?

Maybe it just sags
like a heavy load.

Or does it explode?

Posted by: 'Non on December 16, 2009

@Tim

Curse you for having the same exact name and the same exact predicament as me. =P

Actually, I guess that's pretty awesome. If we get in for Regular Decision, I expect to meet you.

Posted by: Tim W. on December 17, 2009

I now feel more confident than I did right after decisions were released, so it's good. Being deferred is not "polite rejection," but giving a second chance to patient students as us. This is really a test that measures our patience. Hopefully I will win this test.

Posted by: Saman Moniri on December 17, 2009

@Saman Moniri

I sincerely doubt that by being patient for a few months will have any impact on us being accepted.

Posted by: 0 on December 17, 2009

There is still hope, don't let the dream die. Good luck to everyone during the RD grin

Posted by: DavidH. on December 17, 2009

5-Step Guide to Deferment:

1) Feel relieved you're not rejected, and that you finally have an answer.

2) Realize that your "answer" is not an answer, feel stressed, disappointed and vaguely mad that now you have to finish all your other college apps.

3) Rapidly eat a large piece of chocolate wink

4)Look at the numbers (1201 people got rejected), feel happy-ish that !MIT! thinks you're worth considering

5)Apply to all the other colleges, just in case, and hope like crazy!

Hang in there guys!

Posted by: JC on December 17, 2009

Because we were deferred, can we make changes to our application before the Regular Decision reading process begins?

Can anyone answer this?

Posted by: Anonymous on December 17, 2009

I feel happy.

Posted by: John on December 17, 2009

@Anonymous -

You cannot change your application. However you can update us with your midyear report!

Posted by: Chris Peterson - MIT Admissions on December 17, 2009

I just can't stop crying. I keep telling myself that MIT is not the only school, that I didn't want to go there anyway, but I know i'm lying to myself. I failed my parents, they had so much hope for me and I failed them. I know that being deferred means that I am going to be rejected, and I am crying just thinking that I will be rejected again. I failed, I failed.

Posted by: Depressed on December 17, 2009

lol. when i found out that i was deferred from U Chicago yesterday, i thought that i would certainly be rejected from MIT. so i find it AMAZING that i actually got deferred from MIT.

Posted by: Tue on December 17, 2009

@ Depressed

Deferred means deferred. Really. There were a great deal of amazing students that didn't make the very competitive cut for EA, and you might be one of them. Just hang in there.

Posted by: Dave McOwen - MIT Admissions on December 17, 2009

I know I can "update" my application...does this mean I can possible change my essays?

On the positive side:
Last year, roughly 8.2 percent of deferred students were admitted compared to 6.9 percent of RD applicants (not including deferred)...

Posted by: Chelsea on December 17, 2009

I read that EA accepted students came from 44 states.

Out of curiosity, which 6 states were not represented?

yeah second time post.

So what kills me, is that what makes us not the uber awesome stuff that the admited earlies are? From what I've seen of the early admits to MIT on other forums, they have like insane 2300+ SAT, and ridiculous accomplishments like play productions and human calculator stuff.

I wish I had had the opportunity to do more stuff.
Does anyone know if we can edit our apps?

Posted by: Cole '14? on December 17, 2009

hmmmm
i guess means most of us have been politely rejected without the rejection letter right now.
unless we improve, we don't stand a chance, right? isn't the admit rate 5% for deferred applicants?
and aren't there 3900-ish of us?

Posted by: Genesis on December 17, 2009

gosh darnit i spent so much time working doing research for the sole purpose of using it on my MIT app and got deferred. So much wasted time.

Posted by: Neptune on December 17, 2009

Anybody else do UChicago and MIT?

Posted by: Nebuchadrezzar on December 17, 2009

What happens to a dream deferred?

Does it dry up
like a raisin in the sun?
Or fester like a sore--
And then run?
Does it stink like rotten meat?
Or crust and sugar over--
like a syrupy sweet?

Maybe it just sags
like a heavy load.

Or does it explode?

MIT wasn't everything, it was the ONLY thing. The only school I ever wanted to go to since the 8th grade.

@Neptune
Well, at least you've learned something in the process.

I too was deferred but that doesn't mean that we're rejected. I'm pretty sure that as long as we improve we can get in. Being deferred at least means that we aren't bad so as to not have a chance to get in later on. Yeah, I feel depressed but at least it's not hopeless.

Posted by: blah on December 17, 2009

For those applicants bummed out here, and @Depressed in particular:

You didn't fail. You still have a shot. And there is no shame in being deferred, or not admitted, to MIT. With an admit rate hovering close to 10%, how can that possibly be shameful?

Remember also that wading through a lot of "no"s is often the only way to get to the one "yes" that you hope for. It's true in college admissions, it's true in job hunting, it's true in the workforce. Hell, it's true in dating! wink

I'm a professor, so I write lots of proposals to fund my research, and my success rate isn't that much different than MIT's freshman admit rate! Still we manage well!

It's hard to keep this in mind at a time like this, but doors do open even if others close (albeit temporarily here).

Hope this helps a little. Keep your chin up! And enjoy your holidays!

Posted by: Charles S. Wong '90 on December 17, 2009

I'm really curious what the MIT admissions staff said to each other about my application. I know I'll never get to see, but I still wish I could know.

Posted by: Tim M. on December 17, 2009

@Anonymous

I'm thinking alaska's one of those not represented...
but now I have to contend with the 7 other RA applicants to MIT from my school... yay...

Posted by: Upnorth on December 17, 2009

Well, just got the news about 5 minutes ago. It's not too bad, though. At least they saw something in my application that they liked.

Posted by: mybluedecember on December 17, 2009

We can't really be too bummed out.

A. we still have a shot, so its not like its over. We have a second chance and we're not totally unqualified for admission.

B. They aren't necessarily right... MIT cannot judge human beings for their worth as students based off of one interview and a couple of essays and scores. They tried their best. This doesn't mean they are perfect. The reason we think ourselves to be qualified is because we are. Who better than us know what we're worth.

Stay strong.

Posted by: LetsGetItRight on December 17, 2009

I am a good kid, study, do my home work, do all advanced classes, became an high achieving student, with great extra-curricular activities, and so much more. I never used drugs, never drank alcohol, never go to parties, I did everything humanly possible to be a role model to my younger siblings, and made my parents proud. I did so much, I tried so hard, I really really tried, i've been trying and felt like i've been trying my whole life, I dont know how to try any harder I dont know what else to do. I did everything humanly possible, but all my hard work and sacrifice was for what? When will I sit down and tell myself that my hard work paid off? Wheere is the rainbow behind the silver cloud? What else can I possible do? I did everything, and i loved doing it. I'm always helping others, but I never get help, I am always giving, but can never receive. The pot smoking, beer drinking students in school will be smiling and probable will have a merry christmas, while the over acheiver will be walking with her head down, and will have a chistmas from hell.

@ Depressed
I know how you feel. Sometimes our best isn't good enough, and sometimes life isn't fair. I wish everyone going on about glimmers of hope and second chances would just accept that instead of trying to sugarcoat things. Sometimes one just wants to be left to wallow in his misfortune.

@Depressed

think about all the good karma you generated. it'll pay off, no worries bud. cheer up.

Oh and:
Agreed with "LetsGetItRight" all the way

Posted by: ohgosh on December 17, 2009

So, this is what purgatory is like...

Posted by: Jake ('14?) on December 17, 2009

Question directed to MIT Admission administrators that would probably be helpful for everyone else who was deferred!

1. Will our supplemental materials we sent in EA be preserved in our file for RA?
2. How much space is there available in the midyear report. There's something I want to send as an extra PDF file, which I think clearly portrays "me" as an individual.
3. For classes taken outside of high school that were completed in the fall semester (i.e. Harvard & UCLA) , would you like updated transcripts MAILED to admissions? Would you like us to put our name and DOB on the cover to help identification?

Thank you so much for the Deferral. I wrote a "to be deferred poem earlier tonight, and anyway, I hope for the best come March!~

Posted by: Sean B '14? on December 17, 2009

Thanks from everyone for their kind words of encouragment. I am typing with tears in my eyes, because I know that so many of us tried so darn hard, we been doing the right thing, but can never get a break, we pray and hope for just one oppurtunity, but that oppurtunity just wont come. The thing that hurts, is that we been trying so hard for so long. We may be 17, but we feel like 30,because we been working so hard for so long. We dreamed about this day, because this day will be the day we are rewarded, but the reward never came. It makes you feel like everthing you did was worthless. its such a bad feeling. I don't know anymore.I don't know. I'm confused. Thank you everyone and I wish everyone luck with their future.

Yo gangstas. Dont be trippin. If we are good enough to be considered by mit then we certainly have a bunnnnch of potential to succeed anywhere else. Depressed you need to go out and do something fun cuz there is alot more in life to look forward to and enjoy. You need to be both ambitious and happy

Posted by: G on December 17, 2009

@Depressed

I am the salutatorian for my school, took Spanish 4 AP as a sophomore and made the highest grade in the class, am in all the highest-level AP/Dual Credit classes my school offers, am in NHS and SHS, president of Art Club and reorganizing/default president for Philosophy Club (everyone graduated last year), am a National Merit Semifinalist and an AP Honor Student With Distinction, have straight A's, am the Junior Varsity Concertmaster of my school's orchestra after only two years of playing violin, am in Choir, have won several local poetry contests, and have balanced my workload with a weekend job for the past year. I am kind to everyone, I tutor people in all sorts of subjects, I am sunny in disposition and never let other people go by me with a frown even if I am surly about something myself. Etc, etc. I am the youngest in my family and feel obligated to overcompensate for my older brother who never applied himself. I only started considering MIT a year ago, but I think I kind of share your pain...but think of it this way: it's NOT a failure! You don't even know if you did or did not get in; none of us do. Everyone at school assumed I'd be an automatic shoo-in, but I said to wait and see. A lot of EA accepted kids are probably National Science Fair winners and stuff. Don't lose hope! I'm not. And apply to Princeton or Caltech or Harvard as well--all excellent. I'm applying to 5 other schools, including an in state one. I am comforted with the knowledge that I still have a high chance, and so should you. It's not a defeat, merely a setback, and setbacks are a major part of the life of a scientist or engineer, etc. MIT wants us all to remember that, too. And remember, MIT may be amazing, but it IS a name, as well. If I don't get in, maybe it was meant to be. There's always a reason, whether determined by fate or by the very nature of its own existence (if that doesn't sound cryptic) PS just out of curiosity, are you Asian? I am half, and if you are I know sometimes in families like ours their's a bit more emphasis on success being tied to family honor. Just remember, YOU haven't done anything bad. You did everything RIGHT. Now it's just going to be luck and hope smile

Posted by: Amethyst on December 17, 2009

@Depressed again

And if your achievements don't make you happy, what is the use in having them? Be optimistic! Depression=BAD

Woot, deferred. Time to fill out 10 supplements in 14 days. Fun.

Posted by: Fedor on December 17, 2009

Perhaps my 31 ACT score was too low. Ha! Take my new Dec. score MIT! You have to accept me now! MUAHAHA

Posted by: Landon ('14?) on December 17, 2009

Every morning in Africa, a Gazelle wakes up. It knows it must run faster than the fastest lion or it will be killed. Every morning a Lion wakes up. It knows it must outrun the slowest Gazelle or it will starve to death. It doesn't matter whether you are a Lion or a Gazelle... when the sun comes up, you'd better be running.

Let's do it folks.

Well... I'm not really sure I can say anything that hasn't been said before, but here it goes:

At school, when people asked when I find out about getting accepted, I never really felt like telling them because they will now pester me about it tomorrow. However, when I did tell people, I told them that I most likely wouldn't "find out" in the sense that I wouldn't get accepted or denied - I would get deferred. Most responded by saying that I should be optomistic. I feel that that is optomistic, and that hoping for something and expecting it are two different things. I hoped to get accepted and expected to get deferred. That's reasonable. Hoping to get deffered only makes sense if you expect to be rejected, and expecting to be accepted may be a little egotistic (it would be interesting to know how many of the accepted people feel this way).

The point is, you can't blame anyone for hoping, but at the same point we shouldn't get our hopes too high and EXPECT to get in on regular action, especially now that we have experienced first-hand what it is like to not get accepted. Just imagine the process repeating itself in March, but a bit worse, and you get the idea. As I understand it, there is a lower admit rate and not much of a chance of being "deferred" further (waitlisted).

That said, there doesn't seem like much for us to do. I will continue trying to get my Evaluation A in (already tried three times), and anyone missing anything should likewise try to finish their application. It is my understanding that we get to give the admissions team an update before regular action decisions, so now would definitely be the time to finish building your time machine or teleporter, or to finish rounding out your proof of the Riemann hypothesis. Just kidding (if you are though, best of luck trying to do in less than three months what hundreds of people haven't done in many decades).

In all seriousness, though, I feel that it is again time to do what we talked about in 11a and anything that might help communicate more effectively what type of person we are.

I, for instance, would like to work on some mathematical ideas that have been swimming around in my head. While I would do this purely for enjoyment, now would also be a good opportunity to try to get something published (someone was helping me to submit an article before, but the people doing peer-review never got back to me about it).

Getting something published obviously won't guarantee acceptance come March, and it doesn't really mean that you are better than anyone else, but I would hope that it demonstrates that you have initiative. Certainly it would add to the picture that the admissions people have of you, so if you are doing anything that you feel is important enough to warrant publication (perhaps something you regret not adding to the optional section last time), now would be a great time to work on it.

Lastly, another thing to consider is the very real possibility that you won't get accepted in March. We all hope to get in, and we may all be great applicants (we had to have something going for us to avoid rejection), but we have to face the fact that MIT simply doesn't have room for everyone who wants to go and that the chances of getting in are a bit slim.

Obviously there is the dreaded process of filling out more applications. Judging by most people's comments, just about everyone here has MIT as their top choice, and for me personally it is the only school that really stood out as interesting.

If I don't get accepted in the end, which school I go to will probably be a question of which school gives the best mathematics education, unless some other school wows me with some unique campus lifestyle and overall outlook on education.

Either way, we should all continue to pursue our goals in life and try not to be set back too much if things don't go the way we want them to. Sometimes you just have to find an alternate route to the same destination, and I'm sure we'll end up being successful people.

I don't know about the rest of you, but with all of the above to consider, the three-month wait might not seem too long after all.

Posted by: Travis Baumbaugh ('14?) on December 17, 2009

Wow... I knew that was going to be a long post, but it didn't dawn on me just how long-winded I was until I had posted it. My apologies to anyone trying to read through all of these posts who gets bogged down by all of that. I'm usually not one for posting general suggestions mixed with personal examples (in fact, I'm not much for posting in general, but MIT blogs get an exception), but in this case I felt that some of you out there might want ideas on how to spend the time between now and then, and this is a venue for sharing our unique perspectives on the matter, so a bit of background information might not hurt. Besides, if we get in, we will already be that much more acquainted. But I digress and ramble on, making this post longer. I shall stop.

@ Amethyst,
You sound like a great student. Thank you for your kind words. I believe you misunderstood me, I enjoyed everything I did, I love all my extra-curricular activity and also loved every minute of the dozens of academic awards I have acheived. However, I sacrificed alot to achieved what I did. Many of us that applied at MIT worked our butts off. Many great students got deferred and rejected, I fully understand that. But knowing none of this makes it easier, Amethyst I have never rested since the 8th grade, I studied and studied and worked and worked, just hoping that for once in my life I will get a break, and just get that one oppurtunity. All I wanted was 1 chance, not 2 or 3, just 1. When you see the one thing you wanted the most in this world that you been waiting and praying for since you were 13 taken away in a simple paragraph, it makes your heart stop. I am so saddened, not because I think that i'm the smartest kid that applied to MIT, I am saddened because I know how hard I worked, how hard I tried, how long I waited, and how bad I wanted to see the rainbow by getting accepted into MIT. I need to stop bloggin, because i am making the deferred blog sound like the rejection blog and for that I am sorry. But this is the worst day in my life and a day I will never ever ever forget.

@Neptune:

If you did research for the sole purpose of making your application better, it doesn't show that you had passion for it. Did you actually like it? =) Still, you learned something, right?

Posted by: Justin on December 17, 2009

I'm stuck in the dual interpretation of my deferral. On one side, i'm sad because i wasn't accepted in a school that i would absolutely love to attend, and the "ambiguous" result came at 3 in the morning after staying up the whole time! On the other hand though, i'm thankful for not being rejected, as in my contemplation i saw that as a possibility as well, and am happy to have a second chance.

As my flight instructor always says: hope for the best, expect the worse, and a deferral is none of the two, so there is still a lot more hoping and expecting to be done until March! The only difficult part will be the waiting. Oh well, at least now with finals almost over i can get some flying done during Christmas vacation and make the wait a little better. I wish everyone good luck for the second round of decisions

Posted by: Luca on December 17, 2009

"The 590 admitted students come from 44 states and 445 different high schools. First generation college students comprise 14% of the admitted group, and 27% are members of underrepresented minority groups. Women comprise 47% of the admitted students."

Very interesting. What percentage of the pool was female? What percentage of the pool are under represented minorities? What percentage of the pool was made up of first generation college students?

Posted by: Curious Dad on December 17, 2009

There are so many great schools out there besides MIT. My son got in EA but got rejected from Harvard. Some of his friends got into MIT but were turned down from Cal-Tech. Others vice versa. Sometimes the decisions from admissions officialsappear to be random, but that's because you are all so awesome, it's hard to choose! Try to think long term. If you get into another great school, you will end up with a fantastic diploma hanging on your wall while attending MIT graduate school!

Posted by: Dad of '12 student on December 17, 2009

@Depressed:

Hey. When you look at life, at opportunity, remember to not blur the bigger picture: your dream/ambition should not be to "get into MIT", but rather to do what you love to do, what you want to do. MIT is a COLLEGE, the place you get an education, but eventually what you do out there depends on your passion, ambition and (dare I say) intelligence.

I was deferred too. Thought I had everything MIT needed, but don't we all? All the same, never expected an acceptance. Because that would just be crazy.

Look, we all have a chance. Please stop being depressed. And for God's sake, change your Forum Name! Believe me, you'll feel better smile

Posted by: SpokeInTheWheel on December 17, 2009

Is there anything we can do between now and March besides the mid-year report?

Posted by: dennis on December 17, 2009

Deferred...bleh. Definitely better than being rejected, but still wish I'd been accepted. Now three more months of waiting...

Anyone else notice how most everyone dropped the ('14?) at the end of their name now? I just thought it was amusing.

Posted by: Rachel on December 17, 2009

@ Rachel,
I'm gonna keep it and eventually lose the "?".
Hope you all will too!!=)

Posted by: Val'14? on December 17, 2009

deferred. i think i took it better than i thought i would; my friends really helped...

interesting fact that the 590 early admits were from 44 states and not "44 states and 6 countries" as the past few years. i wonder if that means they didn't accept any students from abroad early...

Posted by: adam'14? on December 17, 2009

At least Pi Day will be all the more significant this year.

Posted by: Joe '14? on December 17, 2009

@Fedor,
My thoughts exactly. Supplement hell!

Posted by: Kaley '14? on December 17, 2009

Remember, it is the match between you and MIT that is most important. If you have not read this portion of the website before, now would be a good time to do so:

http://www.mitadmissions.org/topics/pulse/the_match_between_you_and_mit/index.shtml

Some of these aspects must shine through clearly on your application.

Posted by: anonymous on December 17, 2009

Depressed. Please go an seek some professional help. I am serious. Please go talk to someone behind closed doors. There are a lot of underlying issues you seem to have, and I am concerned.

Posted by: Parent '13 on December 17, 2009

" I am willing to bet that the white, middle class, and college-educated parents bit didn't exactly wow them at the admissions box office."
I feel the same. I can't help but look on CC and see how much more qualified I am than many that have been accepted. I know I'm more passionate and probably a lot more interested in taking advantage of MIT's education.

The bad news?

I'm white, male, and my parents went to college. Fail.

Posted by: J*** on December 17, 2009

Since we didn't wow the admissions officers this first time around, can we submit additional items? If so, where to? I have a paper that I recently finished that I didn't have for the EA deadline.

Posted by: TheAnonymous on December 17, 2009

Hey J***: I think it is that attitude that is most likely reflected in your application, that got you deferred. I am a white middle class male. My wife is a white middle class female. Both of us not only have a college degree, but professional degrees as well. Our daughter was accepted EA last year, and currently attends MIT.

You have no idea how qualified another prospective student is, and it is that arrogance that I sure came across in your application, that will most likely see you not accepted during the RD process

Deferred. I hear people say all the time that getting deferred isn't a "polite rejection" and that we still have a good chance of getting in during refular action. But I don't understand how that can be true when MIT defers almost 70% of its EA applicants, and typically only about 300 deferred applicants get in through regular action... whatever. I think I'll be attending Illinois next fall.

@Nebuchadrezzar,

I applied UChicago + MIT too, along with Caltech too actually. I got into UChicago, but deferred from both of the Institutes. sucks for me 'cuz I didn't spend much effort on the Chicago app, but rather devoted most effort onto the other, neither of which I got into

Posted by: George ('14?) on December 17, 2009

Deferred and definitely disappointed.

Whatever. Looks like I'll probably be going to my state university (which is alright too).

To the deferred: Finish your other applications. I spent way more effort on my MIT app than I should have. It was totally unnecessary and I think it just made me look desperately stupid.

If you end up getting in, that's great. If not, that's fine. MIT probably wasn't meant for you. There's plenty of other schools to get your undergrad degree from. Just quit brooding about MIT now and get on with your miserable college-obsessed lives.

I know I will.

Posted by: Dan on December 17, 2009

Those who seem concerned about such things might want to go check the profile of last year's freshman class.

I am a white, middle class male who was deferred. At first I was angry, because a slightly less qualified female student at my school (one of my friends) got in and I obviously didn't. But then I thought about why the admissions office would have let her in. I thought about why I wanted to go to MIT more than Caltech or Rose-Hulman: because their student body is so diverse. I mean, if I was a guy who got into MIT, I would definitely not want the guy:girl ratio to be 3:1 like it is at some places. I stopped being angry because I realized that the reason I wasn't accepted at MIT was the very reason I wanted to go there in the first place. I'm still not happy that I was deferred, but I can live with the decision now. Congrats to anyone who got in; to those who are waiting until March I wish you the best of luck.

Posted by: Alex on December 17, 2009

@ parent:

Calm down. It's a sad but true fact that in an effort for colleges to promote minorities and first-generation college students they often end up rejecting more qualified students whose parents went to college or WASPs (White, Anglo-Saxon, Protestants)

@J***

Just because you're a WASP doesn't mean you won't get in, maybe take advantage of the mid-year school report to beef up your application, I know I'm going to.

@Val

Thanks, I'm hoping to be able to add a '14 in a couple months too, but now I'm going to wallow in my mild disappointment, then get to work on my other applications...Florida Tech anyone?

re-CAPTCHA

babyish executioner...hmmm
tis an interesting image smile

Posted by: Rachel on December 17, 2009

3.14

class of 2014

...yes it is all coming together...

Posted by: 0 on December 17, 2009

@Parent '13
I applaud you on your (and your daughter's) achievements and I hope your daughter is enjoying the awesomeness of it all (I certainly wish I were as lucky)! I do not feel, however, that I was arrogant whatsoever in my application, simply excited about the things I do.

That being said, it is hard NOT to get a little riled up when you get such a hard slap in the face. I know there are many, many students that got in EA that were more qualified than me. It just hurts me when I see those that weren't and discern certain undeniable trends in certain factors that make on suspicious. Also, I DO have a good idea of how qualified prospective students are when they place their profiles on CollegeConfidential (CC), which is what I mentioned in the OP. So at a glance I can see, more or less, where they fall in comparison.

@Rachel
Appreciate the optimism, hope the best for you as well, will certainly be thinking about how to spice up the application. Hope to see you in the fall. Also, thanks for teaching me the abbreviation "WASP"...that sounds pretty cool raspberry

Posted by: J*** on December 17, 2009

Rachel. "They "OFTEN"? I doubt MIT often rejects more qualified students. MIT has a 97% retention rate, so I think they know what they are doing. You sound like a whiner to me.

J***: College Confidential is a joke. If you are basing you chances and whether you are more qualified than someone else, you are not a prime candidate for the crap tables. Also, even if the numbers were true, it is more about numbers at MIT. You just don't get it, do you.

Posted by: 0 on December 17, 2009

@Anon
No, I just don't. You're the type of calm, objective, and intelligent person from which I have a lot to learn. Wish you could enlighten me - but I probably wouldn't get it :/

Posted by: J*** on December 17, 2009

To all my fellow deferredees and "non admittees",

Shall we put things in perspective please...

We did not fail, failures are the students who wanted to go to MIT, had all the means, but did not apply.
We have all worked hard for years and admission status at MIT is not the end result. The fact is that we all WILL get good a education, and do fine. Would I have loved to get tubed? Of course yes, do I feel terrible, of course yes, did I have to face "friends" who have already secured admission to their top choice, yes, but the tube alone does not define who we are or more importantly, who we can be. And you know what, my teachers and parents know that this is not a failure. And I am sure, your teachers, parents, and true friends feel the same way. Admission at top schools is quite often a matter of being a perfect match than being unqualified.

For a moment, think about this. There are 6 billion people on this earth. Of these 2.5 billion live on less than $2 a day. Of these half are children. Yes children. Do you think they are concerned about getting a tube?

Now think how fortunate we are. Make the best of what we have, not what what we don't. We are a bit emotionally bruised by this experience, but by and large still healthy.

See you guys in the future, at a place where we will be making a difference for the better.

Congratulations to all the adMITtees

Posted by: Shweta on December 17, 2009

My daughter was deferred and although she is a top-notch student, she had a horrible Subject Test score in Physics. She took the subject test in October after having less than one month of the subject. We added an explanation in the optional section of the app., but should she take it again? She now has almost four months in and should do much better. Thoughts anyone? Will it matter and is it worth the stress?

Posted by: parent of a '14 hopeful on December 17, 2009

@Shweta
Thank you! Excellent post and reminder.

My daughter was enthralled by the description given at a recruiting event (by MIT) of students who worked in third world countries to help poor people market their goods and increase their earnings. She was hoping to add to the greater good through membership in MIT society but....deferred.

I truly believe that everyone will go where they are meant to be and....with the right attitude...will succeed. We toured Vanderbilt a month ago and learned that all of the freshmen were bussed to a large empty parking lot on their 2nd or 3rd day at college. They all then worked on frames for Habitat houses. MIT students were giving back abroad and Vanderbilt students were giving back locally...it's all good.

Posted by: Emily on December 17, 2009

@ Anon:

Yes, I do think MIT rejects qualified students often. With the sheer number of applications they receive, it is impossible not to. I was in no way accusing MIT of being unfair, just stating an unavoidable truth.

As for your statement that I'm a whiner: I'm a female, underprivileged, first-generation college student from Appalachia. I have nothing to complain about when it comes to advantages to such students.

@ parent:
Retaking a low score on a test could help your daughter's chances of being accepted. The fact that she was deferred, however, means that MIT believes her scores are high enough to do well there. Although improving a score can never hurt, I'd suggest "beefing up" some other aspects of her application. Maybe participate in an academic competition or perform some community service? That's what I'm concentrating on right now. Of course, the fact that I was deferred shows that maybe I'm not much of an expert in these matters. smile

ReCaptcha:

Ticklish Rogue...always amusing.

Posted by: Rachel on December 17, 2009

Fedor, dueces here.

Posted by: JF('14?...Doubt it...) on December 17, 2009

@Depressed

Last year, when I applied to MIT, I got deferred and then rejected. MIT was my dream school since the 6th/7th grade, just like you. I put in the largest humanly possible effort into academics and extracurriculars, and I acheived a great deal. When I got rejected in April, I burst into tears; I didn't understand what was wrong with me, and to this day I still don't know. Today, I am still saddened by that very event, and I am particularly sad that I had to settle with less than the best. In life, sometimes putting the effort and even acheiving great things does not necessarily lead to the desired results. I just wanted to say that I feel your pain, because it seems like we are going through the same thing. Hopefully though, you will make it in via regular decision. I have faith in you.

Sincerely,
Failed MIT '13 Applicant

Posted by: AlsoDepressed on December 17, 2009

@Shweta
Excellent perspective. You're incredibly right, and it's incredible that we could even worry about things like this in the grand scheme of things...I just wish that feeling in my stomach understood this! But thanks for the wise words.

Posted by: J*** on December 17, 2009

So I was right and had to answer questions...and then had to explain what deferral exactly meant (especially to the juniors in my class).
I must admit, it was a very interesting experience, especially when my teachers immediately responded with a genuine "CONGRATS!!" smile
It made me feel better about myself. Haha~!

Posted by: Jess on December 17, 2009

AlsoDepressed: And I was just starting to feel better about being deferred. :p

Posted by: me on December 17, 2009

Take it from someone who got deferred EA but admitted RD...it is possible. Just hang in there and don't give up! No matter what...

Posted by: '13 on December 17, 2009

I'm surprised I reached the bottom of this blog alive. Another deferred for the roll call.

Posted by: Connie on December 18, 2009

Can someone from admissions point me to a place where you talk about the diversity of makeup of the applicant pool? You promote the diverse background of those who were admitted without giving similar information about the pool from which those people were drawn. It's hard to think about matters without complete information. If you don't intend to answer, please just say so.

Posted by: Curious Dad on December 18, 2009

I too would be interested in the diversity of the makeup of the applicant pool.

Female/male applicant vs admitted stats are available from last year's class and speak for themselves.

Posted by: A mom on December 18, 2009

so for all you people out there that think you have to have a good sat score and sat ii scores to get in, i have proof that you dont.

i just got accepted to MIT and my SATii was both below 650. On the actual SAT all of my scores were in the 500s.

They dont care all about test scores..its about the person

Posted by: admitted applicant on December 18, 2009

admitted applicant: I do NOT believe you. But we will see when the statistics are posted. No student was accepted last year with less than 600 on Math SAT.

Posted by: Parent '13 on December 18, 2009

Goodness!!! Simpson College, Iowa State Agricultural College, and Tuskegee Normal and Industrial Institute. Find the common link and remember it’s not where you get your education it’s what you do with it!!! A great education at a great school will not make you great, but who you are can make you great no matter where you go to school.
Early admission and deferred admission to any school are the same false gods.

Posted by: A Dad '80 on December 18, 2009

@parent '13

you should believe me becuaset hat is what i scored. i did not report it on my application but i sent it in from the college board.

i got a 32 on the act, so i assume that is what made up for it.

and i honestly dont care what you think or if you believe me or not because i got in!!!!!

Admitted Applicant, so since you sent it in via the College Board, it will show up on your application at MIT, and it will show up on these statistics following RD.

Posted by: 0 on December 18, 2009

Unfortunately, I'm another bit of living proof that test scores aren't everything - but on the opposite end! Deferred with a 1590 (out of 1600) SAT and 35 ACT.

Let's all stay positive and think about other colleges, but keep our fingers crossed for March!

Posted by: Rachel M. on December 18, 2009

"admitted applicant" is the kind of person that proves me earlier point to the extreme.

Rachel, I had similar scores and all perfect SAT 2s...quite depressing to hear about 650s and 1500-1800 composites getting in. Also, you forgot your captcha this time? Wasn't interesting I guess

Indeed, fingers crossed wink

Posted by: J*** on December 18, 2009

I really would not put much stock into what that Admitted guy says. I think he is messing with you. As the one post states, he will be called out when the Admit Stats come out. There are no 1500-1600 composite scores either.

Also, MIT has a 97% retention rate, so the students they are admitting shows that they are doing it right. And do not give me any of this "once you are in, they keep you in". Having one kid graduate from there, and one kid currently there, that is something they do not do.

I think it is time for you to move on

Posted by: D-Man on December 18, 2009

OK, people. Enough moaning. If you're smart enough to think you can thrive at MIT, then you knew the odds going in were long. Well, guess what? If history holds true, they are still about the same. The percentage of deferred students who are accepted in RD is about the same as the percentage of EA applicants who are accepted. So, just fill out your mid-year report and give it your best shot (or else, just forget it, and give my kid an even better shot -- it's your call).

Posted by: Dad of Deferred on December 18, 2009

@Dad of Deferred

We're not competing against each other. MIT has no limit for RD applicants. But you do have a point. We still have about the same change of getting in being deferred, so acting defeated isn't going to change anything.

@J***

Such low scores getting in makes me question what was wrong with my application that made me get deferred. I had average SAT IIs and a 34 ACT...makes me wonder...

reCaptcha

Widening Members...lol I guess I'm immature

Posted by: Rachel on December 18, 2009

Mmmm I see that a 1770 (max) out of 2400 gets in, and 2230 (composite) gets deferred??
The 1770 has below 600 on all SAT IIs, not a single on below 700 has the 2230 has.
What's the admission criteria?

Deferred. Ah well...

Posted by: Wondering on December 18, 2009

@mom

You say that female/male applicant vs admitted stats are available from last year's class and speak for themselves.

Can you point me to that information?

Curious Dad:

The common data set gives the info. Here is the link.

http://web.mit.edu/ir/cds/2009/c.html

Posted by: A mom on December 18, 2009

BAHAHAHHA. seriously some of you need to remember that pretty much every single person who applied to MIT is either first or second in their class, president of ~850950349 clubs, captain of the three season sports they play plus the club team the're on, either a genius or just tries suppppperrrr hard (for those that got perfect SATs I hope youre a genius, bc if not you really need to get out more and do more activities to fill the amount of studying you did), class president aka well liked, found a cure for cancer and solved the press inflated global warming crisis and went to Africa to feed the barefoot and starving.

So...if you havnt caught my drift by now. everyone applying here is very intelligently inclined and has tried extremely hard and done everything in their power to get into MIT. All the people you talk to tell you youre OBVIOUSLY going to get in. but only you know the truth that that most likely isnt the case. But YAY for all of us that made it this far.

Also just like to throw in there how when I first read the page where you type in your password to see your fate i giggled a little at the intructions therefore took the laptop into the pantry and clicked submit

(I REALLY WISH THERE WAS AN LIMBO PAGE THAT SAID ARE YOU SURE YOURE READY hehe...smile )
....thenn i hit SUBMIT. covered my eyes like a scary movie and waited literally 45 seconds.... and Waaa Laaa! wrong password. ha im a idiot. applying to MIT and cant even type in the correct password. awesome. haha but then the third time i made it (third times a charm hehe). and i peeked through my fingers and saw a short "letter". I knew i was rejected. BUT wait then I wasnt. HEll to the yesss.

I mean it wasnt a yes. it wasnt a no. it was a MAYBE!! seriously...but ok i can deal with that.

Then today. my life ended....karma has bitten me in the ass for all my procrastination. COLLEGE APPS suck...suck the life and soul out of you. thats for sure. by the time i hit college after all my AP english courses and college applications I will NEVEr want to write another essay in my life.

Wow. did i really just do that. write a nice little unedited crappy grammar/english novel that most of you will immediately just skim over. YUP. youre welcome wink

Ya. btw "Depressed" needs to get over herself and think about all the other schools there are out there. ya im quite angry I didnt apply to my other favorite school (dartmouth for anyone who cares) and I did cry alot today about how stupid I am for not applying to both early. but whatever we make mistakes and if we dont get in. tell mit to get * itself and just do something fabulous with your life at a different school just to show MIT the cool person whom they couldve had.

ps. oone tiny last thing. being white middle class with college educated parents in Awesome....NOT. i think the world should unanimously be the same religion, skin color and ethnicity...maybe not same gender though. that would be weird raspberry

WOW. too much writing for sure...sorry wink

Posted by: skijumpgirl13 on December 18, 2009

Let's all be honest with ourselves, if we were not people that are the tops of our classes, not leaders at our schools, or not people with near perfect scores, we'd be complaining about losing out to those people that got in. I'm sure everyone who got in was qualified. Quite frankly I don't think theres any criteria, they dont want a thouasnd people with 2400's on SATs, but at the same time they don't want to have one thousand first generation college students. Honestly they pick the best from each group, and hope for the best. I doubt I'd be wrong if I said there were people from special circumstances that were astounded that they didnt get in.

By the way I come from a school with no AP's, a fourty-some percent rate for students who continue to college. It's a voc-tech school in Mass., and most people still think kids from it have no chance to go on to a "decent" college. I went out of my way to take courses my school didnt offer through other venues, yet I still was deferred. But to be honest I'm not surprised, I'm just proud I wasn't flat out rejected.

My point is, don't be ignorant. You think you're intelligent enough for this school, then you should know that there's thousands of people who are just as qualified, who have their stories, their perfect scores. Sure, you're one in a million, but at a school like this, so is everybody else.

Posted by: ('14?...Doubt it...) on December 18, 2009

Hey. I feel like I should enlighten those wondering about sat scores. Sure, they're important but they obviously do not make the whole application. Who you are is what really matters. Each year, some students with lower scores are admitted because of the match they have with MIT. Remember, the statistics give the middle 50%. Some applicants have higher scores than indicated, and some have lower ones.

BTW, I think the admitted applicant could be telling the truth. I just wonder what he's doing here. He should be posting in the 'Admitted' blog. Surprisigly, the admittees do not seem to be as excited.

Posted by: 0 on December 18, 2009

BTW, I think the admitted applicant could be telling the truth. I just wonder what he's doing here. He should be posting in the 'Admitted' blog.

Posted by: 0 on December 18, 2009

@J***: Different Rachel! smile

@Skijumpgirl: Yes, we all knew the odds going in. But that didn't stop me from hoping! I know that statistically this is what should have happened, but it still doesn't make it much better.

I think a lot of the hurt feelings come from the fact that we're all used to being the best at what we do - most of us are great test-takers, really involved in our schools, and doing research on top of it. Some of us even have social skills! Haha. In all seriousness, I just think that we're people who are not used to "losing," or whatever you consider deferment.

I'm not bitter about not being accepted - I'm fully aware of how awesome the applicant pool is. Now it's time to choose a backup school(hellooooo, Duke and GA Tech!) and get on with our lives. And remember, MIT doesn't think you're complete trash - you're good enough for a second look, after all!

@Rachel: I don't think I could have said it better myself...we're all used to being the best. It's painful to find out that there are others in the world like ourselves smile But very reassuring at the same time.

Well, maybe I'll see you (and some of the other deferred) at GAtech XD

Posted by: J*** on December 19, 2009

yes Rachel I couldnt have said it better myself. Im personally estatic to have made it this far....even if there are about 4000 others in the same position haha...

Posted by: skijumpgirl13 on December 19, 2009

@A Mom

Thanks for posting the link.

The numbers do speak for themselves -- quite clearly.

Posted by: Curious Dad on December 19, 2009

We should all be proud for making it this far! smile Stay strong and determined, everyone, and who knows what the future holds...

Posted by: KATIE! on December 19, 2009

Here's the way I figured it. My day up until 9pm was great. I got a day off from school, I got to chill with friends, and I got to enjoy 2012 and all of its "Science".

The odds were against any individual person being admitted. Therefore, nobody could really expect to get in. I see it this way: Sure, not getting into MIT was a disappointment, but I knew the stats said that odds were against me. I didn't get rejected; so that's good. That means MIT still might want me. I don't see a reason to be sad because another awesome thing didn't happen. If I got all sad because I didn't find a twenty on the ground, that'd be rediculous. If we all get caught up in something that didn't happen, we'll forget about all the great things that did.

Here's hoping I helped someone

Posted by: Ian Riley on December 19, 2009

I just wanted to say that all of you students (accepted, deferred or denied) should be proud! Because you have the "smarts" to be able to apply "and" be considered at the "best engineering university in the world". You are the best of the best and don't ever forget that, no matter what school you eventually go to, in life, or what ever you choose to do.

Posted by: A "dad" on December 19, 2009

"Thanks."

Posted by: Anon on December 19, 2009

Bleh, still saddened but slowly getting over it. Waiting three more months is going to be a torture, but it's comforting to know that I'm not the only one in this position. Best of luck to all of us, and just being considered by MIT makes it obvious that we all have a bright future ahead of us, no matter where we end up... smile

Posted by: hopeful on December 19, 2009

I think we all need to remember, as well, that there are hundreds or even thousands of people (famous and not famous) who have made a HUGE difference in the world who did not attend MIT or other Ivies. Do you know why--and why it's important to remember not to let a deferral or rejection get you down? Because all of these people knew (or eventually figured out over time) what it was they wanted to do with their lives. They figured out how to get it, and they had the will and determination to get past the setbacks and DO it! And that's an important message for all of us. It's not the education you get necessarily, its not where you go, its not about the cards life tosses you. It's what you decide to do with the cards. My mom was born in a socialist country and came to the US with 50 lbs of luggage--now she's halfway through her doctorate. My dad went to Vietnam right out of high school, and was never able to complete a full, cohesive college education--he's one of the most brilliant logicians I've ever met, and teaches himself. Personally, I may end up going to UT Dallas if I can't get into MIT, Harvard, Princeton, Yale, Vanderbilt, or Oberlin. I'll use my AP courses to get advanced standing, do the highest level study I can, and maybe try to transfer in somewhere after a year or two. But I've made up my mind definitively: there's no stopping me now! I'm going to fly as high as I can smile

Good luck to everyone else--I hope you all get in,not to mention myself, lol...but please remember not to be depressed. Most of us are probably people who will do absolutely fantastically everywhere we go.

PS I wonder if any other people named "Amethyst" have ever gone to MIT...it would be really hilarious if there were...but cool! But I digress.

RE ReCaptcha: "Good added" Maybe that means it was a good thing for me to post this? A sign! And I wonder how many books we've managed to translate just by posting on the MIT forums...

Posted by: Amethyst (14?) on December 19, 2009

I got deferred and I was wondering if there is any way to edit your application (like edit your essays/short responses) or are you only allowed to submit updates like address and school and such?

Posted by: Hopefully 2014? on December 19, 2009

Hello to all the students who had applied to MIT,

Congratulations to all who got admitted. For those who are deferred : I can understand the pain that you are feeling at present. There will be a brighter day tomorrow.

Posted by: PARENT 2013 on December 19, 2009

@Hopefully

You can't edit your application, but when you send in your midyear school report you can update it with any new awards/activities/etc. Sadly, we can't change our essays, however.

ReCaptcha

Mendes assassinated...hmmm

Posted by: Rachel on December 19, 2009

I never knew if my music supplement got over there... hm...
oh and interesting recaptcha: todav nakedest...

Posted by: 0 on December 19, 2009

Just wondering if this incident could have had anything to do with me being deferred:

My english teacher had sent in a recommendation for me WAY before the deadline, but later on, in mid-November, I got an e-mail from MIT saying they never received it and that I needed to submit it by the 23rd. The earliest I could contact my teacher was on the 23rd, but when we checked my application status online together, it said they had already received it.

Is there any way I can make sure MIT got all my stuff intact?

Posted by: Travis on December 19, 2009

@Anon 8:44pm and @Travis: Call them! 617-253-3400. They're really helpful folks, they made sure all my supplements got in.

I am in the same boat as "admitted applicant" except unlike him, i did not send in my subpar SAT scores. I did scroe a 690 on the SAT II math 1 and a 680 on the SAT II Bio E.

My ACT was a 31.

And I got in.

There is some credibility in what he is saying.

Posted by: Chris '14 on December 20, 2009

Chris...No there isn't. Not even close

Posted by: 0 on December 20, 2009

@ Rachel

Yep, that just about covers it. We'll have more information about the mid-year report (and other information for deferred students) on the blog soon.

@ Anon/Travis

You can always check the status of your application online through MyMIT, and that's really the best way. If it shows up there you can rest assured that we're looking at it in your application. If you have questions beyond that, please do call/email.

Recaptcha: texan mos

You will never find a more wretched hive of scum and villainy, y'all?

Posted by: Dave McOwen - MIT Admissions on December 20, 2009

@ Chris and "admitted applicant"

While I believe you when you claim to have been accepted, as you would have nothing to gain from lying while under an anonymous guise, I can't help but express a hint of bitterness at that very fact. My SAT, ACT, and Subject Test scores were all outstanding, all at or above the 75th percentile. My GPA was similarly outstanding, and I'm currently the valedictorian of my class with many extracurricular activities to which I have been extremely dedicated. I was honest, personal, and forthcoming in my essays. My recommendations were excellent and gave an accurate portrayal of me and my accomplishments (in an admitted breach of professional ethics, my teachers permitted me to read them before submission).

Yet I was deferred. Like so many similarly well-qualified applicants, I was deferred. You two, on the other hand, poorly qualified by statistical standards, were accepted. I know of a basketball player in my area—average GPA, average test scores, not many ECs other than basketball—who was accepted to MIT. Cases like yours and the basketball player's aggravate me to no end. Though I know MIT, like most institutions of higher learning, looks for diversity in assembling a class, I do believe that certain aspects of an applicant should weigh in more heavily than others in the admissions process. When students are accepted who can shoot a ball into a basket 9 out of 10 times but can't work math problems above the Algebra 1 level, I get upset.

I'm sure I sound very self-righteous and accusatory right now, but I really don't care. Maybe after a few more days of brooding I'll get over it, but right now I feel like expressing my frustration. I'm sorry if you're offended, but I'm not going to take back what I've said.

Posted by: Josh the Disheartened on December 20, 2009

@ Josh,
I'm sure you are a truly outstanding student, but I also know that MIT look for students with passion. I think that is why I got deferred-I didn't show enough passion in my (I think)well-rounded application. Just try harder with your update! It's what comes after that matters. =)

Posted by: Val'14? on December 21, 2009

For the deferred, is there a chance to send in more SAT subject score? Thanks.

Posted by: a parent on December 21, 2009

@Josh the Disheartened

I know someone just like the basketball player you described, except he was involved in crew instead of basketball. There were 3 other kids from my school (including myself) who all sound about as qualified as you, and we were all deferred. I guess we're just going to have to face the prospect that if the athletics programs where you live are more competitive than the academics programs, MIT doesn't really care about your personal merit or what you've done to improve your school; the athlete is getting in and you aren't.

Posted by: 0 on December 21, 2009

@Josh the Disheartened

I feel for you. We're in the same situation. And we even have the same name smile

I hope to see you in the fall. But, since we are both capable of doing math above the Algebra 1 level, we both know the chance of that happening is shy of 1% -_-

Good luck anyway.

Posted by: Janonymous on December 21, 2009

When does MIT release its RA results?

Posted by: 0 on December 21, 2009

When I realized that the MIT EA decisions were coming out on Wednesday, I took the time to finish all of my college applications. I'm not much for procrastinating, so I only had some supplements to complete. My common application had already been complete for some time. Nonetheless, I felt the need to convey myself in the very best way, so I ended up pulling an all-nighter on three supplements, haha. The fact that I decided to finish all of my applications, pulling an all-nighter when I had a service project the following day(driving around the following day was not exactly safe--not to mention tiring) may seem strange. My reasoning was this: before I saw my status as an MIT applicant, accepted, deferred, or denied, I wanted to be finished with college applications. I didn't want to grow complacent or lazy, or worse, arrogant, if I got accepted. If I got denied, I didn't want to feel discouraged. If I got deferred, well, even still, I didn't want to feel discouraged. I pulled an all-nighter, not because I thought the internet would crash on any other day, but my curiosity was eating away at me. I knew that countless students would have checked right at 9 PM. Nonetheless, I held my ground, keeping the promise I'd made to myself.

So around 4:00 AM, after working on applications for well over six hours, I logged on to see my status. I was, in a way disappointed, but thrilled at the prospect of having been deferred. Because I am well aware of the outstanding applicant pool that the MIT admissions encounter, I was really excited that they were going to give my application a second review for regular admission.
I'd had doubts, because, despite the "I am not just a number" talk, the fact that my SAT score is not perfect lingered in the back of my mind. My SAT Subject Score, in Math II especially, is not my best performance. Moreover, I have yet to save the world from some unknown crisis. My essays were straight-forward, honest--essays any average "Joe" could appreciate. I wrote no senior thesis, no quantum physics theories. I wrote about me.

And I am really, really grateful that MIT was able to see beyond the numbers and see me in my application. I'm also thrilled, because this, to me, means that MIT cares about more than just numbers (there's something different about reading it and feeling it). I don't mean to offend anyone, but there's a perfect fit for all of us--and I think all of you should be commended for all that you have already accomplished AND your status as a deferred applicant. After all, wherever you go, you're still YOU, and can thrive. College is important, yes, (trust me, I don't know how much time I've invested in this college application process) but who you are is so much more important. College can't make you who you want to be--it can only offer the tools you can utilize to become who you desire to be. Though I share in your pain, do try to hold onto the unique individual you are--the one who will thrive at MIT, not sulk at every disappointment.

...I didn't mean to seem like I was lecturing. I hope I didn't offend anyone. Congratulations on being deferred and I sincerely hope that you will be accepted. Have a wonderful Christmas.

Posted by: Ji on December 21, 2009

@ a parent: Yes, you can send more test results.

@ Ji:Thanks a lot for the encouragement, although I really wonder what I am doing here....I'm applying RD.
Anyways, Merry Christmas to you too.

Haha! Recaptcha: Continued Goat. Who is behind these phrases?

Posted by: D on December 21, 2009

@skijumpgirl13... you're way too cool.

recap: Tinted F.B.I.
interesting...

Posted by: Kristina on December 22, 2009

"I HAVE"....DEFFERED MIT !!

The deeply wet voice that once asked -"What will you study when you grow up?", never seemed so astonishing or agonizing to me and the Answer was spontaneous as though i had memorized it from the inscription in every single rock i have been treading all these years in the rocky hills of Darjeeling.

While today or maybe by this time (not limiting myself with time function to be finite) when I sit back to look at and do some math and define it in terms of time again, i do feel the urgency to summarize how has 10+ years passed by echoing the same "answer", with every year distancing so very far and every day showing the transformation of an individual, binding something more and most valuable in this life than anything (answerlife) and that voice today sounds so peculiar that i often start a war at heads--of justifying-denying-debating(sometimes bombing and wrecking with punches and on walls)....But |YES| I am glad that my 'Gannu' has blessed me with one such conscious that has never learnt the sentence....'DEFEATED'!

Know that varied feelings are really difficult to transcend espicially when looking through somebody else's view, but this one 'answer' is not just a view its a 'vision' and now I must admit that the Time has revolved and come back to stand where I need to start setting this vision --into someone's view-- and this time its surely not me. I understand Love many a year would go by singing the same story but then/still ..so be it is the song of my conscious.

Call it the battle of my selfishness or willingness (to prove its worth),'THE ANSWER' has neither been a materialized Dream nor a Reality and i have got to patiently wait and watch till the end of this show (Griffin Star)..
....gently consoling and encouraging myself that sooner or later this vision would be realized by HIM and I would once again get an ANSWER to live (for..by..with). While the cold winds of Darj still brings for my heart the same beautiful song --to sing 'The Title', let me once again remember "LIFE IS BEAUTIFUL"!!

Posted by: ~Desi Boy! on December 23, 2009

Hi, all - don't worry - there is Hope!

I was deffered (on my birthday no less back in 2006) and had to go to school and feel my face flush with anger/envy (something I don't usually have) as one of my classmates told others that it was easy getting into MIT early.

I toiled tirelessly through January finishing a project that somehow made it to fruition. MIT heard all about it, and let me in.

So, DON't GIVE UP!!! MIT is an awesome place and don't worry about getting deferred - the early applicants are super-crazy anyway - there can def. still be a place for you at MIT, and you can still be successful.

Best of luck,

My one piece of advice: Use your resources wisely! Do the supplemental materials - ask friends who got into MIT, and most of all stay strong - success is 99% perspiration.

from the other side of the wall (but still remembering the pain of being deferred)

-kevin

Posted by: Kevin '11 on December 23, 2009

Good luck to all who got deferred. Don't let it stop you from having a good holiday smile Let's hope we meet again in the fall.

@Dave McOwen
"You will never find a more wretched hive of scum and villainy, y'all?"

San Mos Eisley, for the win! She's fast enough for you, old man.

Posted by: Josh Parnell on December 24, 2009