Decisions

Dec 16, 2010

Early Action: Deferred

Posted in: Process & Statistics

We had a record number of Early Action applicants this year, and unfortunately we could not take all of them. If your decision was deferred, then we will reconsider your application anew in Regular Action.

We'll have some additional advice and instructions for Deferred students shortly. In the meantime, please feel free to use this forum to chat.

oh WOWOW!! I was totally expecting rejection! Thank God, keep hope!!

Posted by: Ali on December 16, 2010

deferred :/

Posted by: Ash P on December 16, 2010

I knew it would happen but it's still stressful.

Posted by: Elizabeth on December 16, 2010

Posted by: Ali on December 16, 2010

Aside from the suspense of waiting for the page to load along with thousands of others, the deferment wasn't as heartbreaking as I thought. I guess now I have to wait anxiously for March. *sigh* Congratulations to the select few that made it though. *goes to sulk in a corner*

Posted by: Paul on December 16, 2010

;( Awwww....So close. All that stress waiting for a decision, and now I have to wait a few more months.

Posted by: Teresa on December 16, 2010

in a good mood. got deferred which was the best i was hoping for. now to wait till pi day its already in my calendar

Posted by: Michael on December 16, 2010

I was really hoping to get accepted. It is pretty disheartening to see the only school that I pictured myself at deferring me. Well, I guess I still have a chance. Good luck to the rest of you deferred applicants too.

Posted by: John Y. on December 16, 2010

Ahh, a least I'm still in the running.

Posted by: Anthony on December 16, 2010

sigh... hey its better than denied right?

Posted by: Emily on December 16, 2010

Ahhhh so close, I'm not worried though March entry here I come!!!

Posted by: Tanner Cook on December 16, 2010

Atleast I didn't get rejected.

Posted by: Kirtan on December 16, 2010

I'll join y'all over here..... better than getting rejected right?

Posted by: Luke on December 16, 2010

Not rejected!!!!! WOOHOO!!!!

Posted by: Dillon on December 16, 2010

WAHHH, oh well... Better luck in RD. :C

Posted by: JXC on December 16, 2010

I'm bummed but now I'm anxiously waiting for March! Good Luck to everyone who got deferred!

Posted by: Samantha on December 16, 2010

Now, we all just have to wait another 3 months...

Posted by: Lewin on December 16, 2010

What are the chances of being accepted RD after being deferred EA?

Posted by: Chad on December 16, 2010

I hoped I'd get in now. Oh, well, guess we find out in March...

Posted by: Ryan on December 16, 2010

This is coming from a current student who was deferred...I wanted to pop over here and tell you guys that really, being deferred is not a rejection! (: Good luck to you all, and please don't go crazy over the wait. ^^

Posted by: RS '14 on December 16, 2010

on one hand, i knew it was inevitable. on the other hand, it still hurts.

and yeah, i want to know what the chances of being accepted RD after being deferred EA are too.

Posted by: Ash P on December 16, 2010

More waiting... Oh well. It's not a no!

Can we retake SATs and send them before March?

Posted by: Lynsey on December 16, 2010

I thought I'd be rejected flat out, so at least I get a second chance...I hate waiting though. And I'm really doubtful. I mean, what are the odds?

Posted by: Allyson on December 16, 2010

I guess the worst thing to come out of this (other than that inexplicable joy of being accepted v_v) is that now we need to fill out other college apps. Not looking forward to that.

Posted by: Paul on December 16, 2010

WHEW, this was stressful... Good luck everyone at RD!

Posted by: Derek on December 16, 2010

Oops, mis-wrote that. I meant "other than not experience that joy". Blah, I'm flustered. I'll stay on long enough to learn what I can do to increase my RD chances then go cry in a corner again.

Posted by: Paul on December 16, 2010

For some perspective: http://www.mitadmissions.org/topics/misc/miscellaneous/guest_entry.shtml

Posted by: Christina on December 16, 2010

Thank the lord that it was not denied, now time to relax and wait for round two! smile

Posted by: Stephanie on December 16, 2010

and the suspense continues...

@Everyone wondering
9.6% of the deferred got in last year

Do we seriously find out on Pi Day? That's pretty awesome smile

Posted by: Sarah on December 16, 2010

I guess we should be doing the rest of those applications now.

Posted by: Erik on December 16, 2010

Well on the upside, March will come really quickly. Build season for robotics starts in about 3 weeks smile
Anyone else do FRC?

Posted by: Rahil on December 16, 2010

^^ RS '14, thanks for the encouragement! I guess this is better than being flat-out denied, right?

Congrats to those who were admitted and good luck to the rest of us. 3 more LONG months to come...

Posted by: Theo Pak on December 16, 2010

Oh man, not another three months of waiting. :( But at least there's still hope, I guess.

I really can't imagine going to any other college.

Posted by: Mike on December 16, 2010

I did FRC. FIRST owns.

Posted by: Chris Peterson @ MIT Admissions on December 16, 2010

Now time to work on my other (18) apps...

Shame, since MIT was my first choice. D:

But we got to remember that any college we attend will be a great experience, even if it doesn't end up being MIT. smile Keep your hopes up, everyone, and stay optimistic.

Posted by: JXC on December 16, 2010

No worries guys, I'm waiting until March as well. I applied to MIT Grad School and am as anxious as all of you to find out if I'll get in. Just do something fun in the mean time!

Posted by: Snively on December 16, 2010

On the bright side, the probability of our getting accepted is higher than that of regular decision applicants...

Still, disappointing to have to wait!

Posted by: Anna on December 16, 2010

how many were deferred this year?

Posted by: Haley on December 16, 2010

Well, I got deferred. I just wonder what my chances are now. Not too disappointing yet. anybody know where numbers are reported?

Posted by: ik on December 16, 2010

lets be optimistic. I can't come up with something clever or inspiring, I'm just hoping to stop feeling like this. I kind of feel like I'm stuck in neutral and there's nothing I can do about it. So let's keep applying and que sera, sera.

Posted by: dextina on December 16, 2010

Well, I guess deferred isn't so bad. Even more, getting deferred from MIT is quite an achievement! Let's keep our hopes up and try hard!

Posted by: Daniel on December 16, 2010

@Chris:
Yeah, I just noticed you were on Chief Delphi yesterday. Small world, I suppose.

Posted by: Rahil on December 16, 2010

I was not rejected! YES!!!

Posted by: Andrew on December 16, 2010

Those ten minutes of waiting to see my decision felt like a long time... but now I have months. Alas.

Posted by: Conor on December 16, 2010

@Paul:

Well Paul, having been deferred and then admitted regular action last year, hopefully I can share my thoughts with you on what to do next.

I'd say the best way to increase RD chances is to make the most of the mid-year report. It is more than just grades, it also allows for an activities update. Feel free to even share your favorite joke! (I think people did it last year lol). I included an inspirational quote by Feynman on it.

Basically, being deferred means that your application was really good but you didn't stand head and shoulders above everyone else, so admissions is going to wait for the RD applicants and re-evaluate. I recommend that you look at your application, think about how you could have improved it to give MIT a better sense of who you are, and then include those important details on your midyear report. I don't remember having too much space on my midyear report last year, but there definitely was enough for me to say what I had to say. I can definitely attribute part of the reason why I was accepted RD to what I wrote on my midyear report.

And despite this, not all of you are going to make it during regular decisions. That's okay. MIT is not for everyone, even if you are really smart. If you don't go to MIT, you still can succeed if you work hard. I don't go to MIT and I am happy. My college experience is very different from the experience I would have had at MIT, and I know that I sacrificed a lot by turning MIT down, but my future is just as bright.

Just my 2 cents. Good luck in March!

Posted by: David K on December 16, 2010

Crap. Hopefully get through RD.

Posted by: Abbhi on December 16, 2010

We should all be flattered such a fantastic school is even considering us. Good luck in RD everyone, and stay awesome!

Posted by: Carrie on December 16, 2010

Alright deferred crowd, let's stay strong and do our best in round two.

Posted by: Corey K on December 16, 2010

Despite being thankful I was deferred and not denied, I really just wanted to know. Congrats to those who got in, condolences to those who didn't, and good luck to everyone who was deferred!

Posted by: Hannah on December 16, 2010

since we're deferred can we retake subject tests in january and still send them in to be considered as part of our application for reg.decision?

Posted by: alyssa on December 16, 2010

Good luck to all here as well! Hopefully we'll get in RD! Statistics aren't too bad for admission from the deferred pool -- 7.9% (vs. the 6.5% from the regular pool)

Posted by: Japheth on December 16, 2010

Maybe some of us could get together and cure cancer before rd.

Might increase our odds!

Posted by: Gator on December 16, 2010

@ Anon - totally with you on that one

Posted by: Justin Carter on December 16, 2010

I learned html, css, javascript, made a website, worked my butt off in research, genuinely made attempts to improve my community, and so much more, but it wasn't enough.

Fun fact: last year, less than 7% of deferred applicants were accepted in regular decision.
That translates to an average of 2 people accepted per pool of 25 deferred applicants.
2 out of 25. Are you in the top 2? Set your expectations realistically, but never stop
striving for the best.

For the MIT admissions, maybe you should considering rejecting more people rather than stringing us along. "Defer" offers a shining light at the end of the tunnel, that is hope. MIT is like the hot girl who leads on the cute nerd boys, even though 93% of them are bound to be rejected. Yet still, I can't help but dream about going to school at MIT. Please, MIT, be a little less flirtatious with our dreams.

Good luck to all! May the best applications win.
And for the other 93%, don't sweat it, we all find our place in the world.

Posted by: karan sikka on December 16, 2010

Well, I'm content with being deferred, it's definitely better than rejection. Although I would have liked to know; I guess the drama will continue for another three months now.

Posted by: Jonathon on December 16, 2010

Posted by: alyssa on December 16, 2010

alyssa -

yes.

And so the waiting begins anew…

See you all on πday!

Connor

Posted by: Connor P on December 16, 2010

Darn, was so sure I was going to be accepted. Oh well, deffered isn't so bad, at least there's still hope. By they way, have any of you read The Escapists' article about MIT's puzzle competition? It sounds incredible! I sure hope I get into this school, it is just so amazing.

Posted by: Devan on December 16, 2010

Good luck to all those deferred! Remember that deferral means that MIT thinks you'll be competitive for regular action. I know plenty of people here who were originally deferred and ultimately accepted, so keep the hope alive smile

Posted by: Piper '12 on December 16, 2010

can i just say that this forum has really cheered me up. thanks for the witty comments everybody. good luck smile winter break is soon so yay!

Posted by: Tam on December 16, 2010

Deferral to me means: I get to keep leading on the kids in my AP Chem class every day on whether or not I'll get in. Silly people raspberry

Posted by: Roget on December 16, 2010

thanks for nothing piper wink

Congrats to those who made it early smile

now to open and play Assassins Creed Brotherhood all night to take my mind off the long wait until pi day. (snow day tomorrow or else I'd be taking my mind off it with an essay)

Posted by: Robby on December 16, 2010

Hey everyone,

I know some of you are pretty disappointed about being deferred. I just want to point you to this blog post, which never fails to give me hope that the college admissions process might actually be all right:

http://www.mitadmissions.org/topics/apply/the_selection_process_application_reading_committee_and_decisions/its_more_than_a_job.shtml

I know Ben's not at MIT anymore, but his advice still applies and I'm sure that the rest of the MIT adcom shares his views as well. So please, keep your head up, knowing that you were not simply just forgotten and thrown aside, but that real people actually really cared about you.

Keep your head up and smile. You just got deferred by the best school in the country. I know you are worth it. smile

Posted by: Insorak ('15) on December 16, 2010

Question - can we send supplements (such as a music supplement) after the RD deadline of Jan. 1?

Posted by: Angeal on December 16, 2010

I'm ecstatic, and you should all be as well. Some of the brightest minds of the world apply here, and the institution that boasts quite possibly the highest concentration of intellect per square foot is considering us! :D A job well done in my book.

On a completely separate note (I'm assuming an overwhelming majority of you are physics enthusiasts), the data from the Large Hadron Collider isn't looking so hot. And I'd just finished reading Brian Greene's "An Elegant Universe." Anyone else as frustrated as I am? Heh.

Posted by: Brandon on December 16, 2010

The Long wait ends with a beginning of a longer wait. Great. Best of Luck to everyone.

Posted by: Mohamad Mohamad on December 16, 2010

Life wouldn't be fun without uncertainty

Posted by: King on December 16, 2010

Ugh, now I have to finish all of those other college applications...but I suppose I should stay optimistic.

Posted by: Matt on December 16, 2010

@Brandon
I have that book lying next to me with 8 pages left and you just encouraged me to finish it, thanks smile

Posted by: Doodle on December 16, 2010

Hey, I feel like I'm part of the crowd. Yeah, go deferred people!

Posted by: Kristine on December 16, 2010

MIT is my dream school. I'm just glad they're giving me another chance.

Posted by: Teagan on December 16, 2010

Haha why's everyone so down, this is MIT. I got acceptance letters from 5 schools prior to seeing my deferment, and i think my deferment made me happier haha. Good luck to everyone and happy holidays.

Posted by: JT Sanabria on December 16, 2010

Somebody said from the comments that some people were going to have a bad week. But I'm not going to! Thank you MIT for giving me another chance to voice myself! It's my dream to study at MIT and I'm extremely grateful that you are reconsidering me as a worthy applicant smile

Posted by: Surya ('15?) on December 16, 2010

Question - can I submit a music supplement after the RA deadline (so after 1/1)?

Posted by: Angela on December 16, 2010

woot woot more waiting ^^

Posted by: Saad on December 16, 2010

So glad not rejected.
2380 (780M lol)
assuming quarter grades were the biggest no-no for me. Lets hope my semester grades do the trick!

also, anyone knwo the approx. ratio of acceptance:rejection:deferral?

good luck to deferrees, rejectees, keep your heads up, and acceptees--congrats!!!

Posted by: Aaron S. on December 16, 2010

Well, I was pretty disappointed. MIT's always been my dream school... but I guess there's still Regular Admission. :/

Posted by: Cam H on December 16, 2010

Meh, worst part about getting deferred is that we have to wait until March to figure out where we're going to school.
To the admits, congrats
To the rest of the deferred; shit happens my friends, take it in stride =)

Posted by: Josh on December 16, 2010

For 2010 admissions, there were 5,684 early action applicants - of which 3,893 applicants were deferred to regular action. Less than 9% of the 3,893 were accepted.

*These numbers from MIT Media Relations website.

Posted by: Alyson on December 17, 2010

Hey there everyone,

So I just got back from my "Kaleidoscope" concert and checked my MIT admission - deferred. First thought, Wow... It's another 3 months before I can get a decision? Accepting that left me wondering exactly how early admissions broke down this year with # of admits, defers, and rejections?

I'm incredibly thankful to still be considered again in RA - Congrats to everyone accepted, and hang in there to everyone like myself. Best Wishes and Merry Christmas!

Posted by: Chris J. on December 17, 2010

being deferred is like saying "Oh here's your acceptance!" "Oh yeah!!" "LOL jk. It probably won;t happen"

Posted by: Anonymous on December 17, 2010

Hi, My name is cody and I was deferred from MIT:

Hey! That probably means I'm gonna go to an awesome college next year, even if it isn't in Cambridge.(And that goes for all of us!)

It may seem like just another waiting game until march, but there's so much that you can do between then and now. Go do something you love to do! take a day and go reread your favorite book series! have a deferral party with some friends! Build a robot that totes around Christmas lights! and after you do that, go write about it: it should be awesome. That's what I wish I had done for my MIT essays, but hey; it's my first time applying to college.

I think the most important thing to remember is next year, you're gonna be happy. That said, don't forget that there's still a year between now and then: do the best you can!

and for those feeling a bit stoic with their decision, I find this always helps:

http://xkcd.com/267/

Best wishes to everyone!

Posted by: Cody on December 17, 2010

Hey everyone - I know you're going to be hearing this a lot, but keep your heads up. I was hanging out with three friends tonight and found out that the three of them were all deferred (and I was actually wait-listed). There's still a chance!

Posted by: Meg ('13) on December 17, 2010

Hey, at least we weren't outright rejected. Chances are, we'll still end up at awesome colleges doing awesome things. Even if not MIT, we're just destined to be big fish. Think about it: your app is so good that one of the hardest-to-get-into universities in the nation. Anyway, this made me feel alot better. Hope it helps some of you guys!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pRrFWp4DUho

Posted by: Mike on December 17, 2010

Dear all,

Woot Woot! Still in the running!

Best of luck everyone! In the meantime, I suppose we'll should keep our hopes up, and continue being awesome. And also remember to remind the MIT admissions officers of how you stayed awesome.

Best regards,
Andy

PS. Great post, Insorak ('15), thanks for the link.
PPS. Have a great winter break everyone! This'll be a great time to revise our applications and goals!

Posted by: Andy Su on December 17, 2010

Good thing I worked on telling myself I would get deferred, even when everyone was saying I would get in. >.Good thing I worked on telling myself I would get deferred, even when everyone was saying I would get in. >.< Onwards to Pi Day (if those rumors are true, though the deferred notice said late March). Good luck to all in the deferred boat, and congratulations to all those who were accepted. Hope to see you there!

Posted by: Ryan F on December 17, 2010

Ahhhhh :/ I really wanted a tube

Posted by: sadface on December 17, 2010

I'm happy such a great school is still considering us. Being deferred is better than being rejected. Hang in there; there's still hope. Best of luck to all.

Posted by: 0 on December 17, 2010

ahh! I'm so happy i'm at least still in the running; winter break is definitely a needed break ^_^

Posted by: Ava on December 17, 2010

Hey dudes! I remember I was feeling down when I got deferred, but I think the deferral just made it even more amazing when I got the acceptance letter in March. I know a lot, I mean A LOT of brilliant people at MIT who were deferred and got their acceptance letters three months later. So hang in there.
Also, spend this weekend partying or something. I'll remember the awesome time I had on my post-deferral weekend for the rest of my life. This is a milestone, and a cause for celebration.

Posted by: Danny '12 on December 17, 2010

There is hope! smile

Posted by: Alex S on December 17, 2010

sudden realization: 1 year ago on this day, I was crushed to read the long-anticipated deferral letter. Following that, during the hectic scramble to assemble 11 other applications in 2 weeks, I convinced myself that MIT was absolutely not meant for me, and the deferral was actually a blessing in disguise to introduce me to the ins and outs of other, much better-fitting schools...

1 year later, here I am, having just finished my last final of my first semester and reflecting on what a spectacular whirlwind first semester it was, how much I love MIT, and how glad I am I didn't lose faith in its potential to be a match for me...

so keep your heads up kiddos! if you have a busy 2 weeks coming up, so be it, but just take it as an opportunity to explore other options while exploring yourself...hard emotions might be running wild at this point, but just keep an open mind, don't stress too much, and everything will work itself out in the end smile

Posted by: '14 on December 17, 2010

That was disappointing. At least our odds are still better than the people who are just doing regular (8% vs 6.5% based on last year).

Posted by: Chris Bonadonna on December 17, 2010

I am deferred and happy, an unusual combination, but still, at least I wasn't rejected. I will remain hopeful, but there are other options, too. Though I still prefer MIT. =] Good luck everyone.

Posted by: Sadia on December 17, 2010

Hi, all! I just wanted to pipe up and say that I, too, was deferred and then accepted! smile There is hope! After I got deferred, I had a freak out melt down, because I didn't think I was good enough to get in anywhere else -- don't let that happen to you! You ARE awesome! Don't apply to just Ivies, etc., get some safeties! I cannot stress this enough! Find some safeties where you can see yourself being happy!

And remember -- even if you don't get into MIT, it's JUST A PLACE. You can learn and thrive and grow intellectually literally ANYWHERE if you are serious about it. If you're just thinking about MIT as a name on a diploma and a stepping stone to money and an awesome job, that's not the right attitude. MIT has an atmosphere for thinking and creating, but those are things YOU can do at any college. Good luck!

Posted by: Deferred '13 on December 17, 2010

I got deferred as well, but I'm glad I did. At least I have another chance!

Are we allowed to send an additional essay or recommendation in addition to the mid-year report?

Or, I think the better question would be, what are we not allowed to send? (videos, arts supplements, award certificates?)

Posted by: kit15 on December 17, 2010

le sigh...deferred. On the upside, it means I'm still in the running; on the downside, I really don't like to be strung along like this so....Yeah, guess time for other apps now. hmmm

good job to all the people who did get in though!

Posted by: kirsten on December 17, 2010

Last night, I was so disappointed that I couldn't even cry. I just sat there thinking how could it have happened. But it hurt so much.
I poured my soul into the application. I wrote about life. What I loved. I shared my dreams, my hobbies, my aspirations. I read the "Match between you and MIT" over and over again and thought I was the perfect match. I had all the qualities. I could see myself there, happy. It feels like my school.
But it wasn't so.
I know a deferral meant a second chance, but this dealt a heavy blow to my perception of my match to MIT. It's really hard to take in. I truly thank everyone who wrote comforting words, but nothing can comfort this feeling of unwanted.

Posted by: milito on December 17, 2010

Hey, you know what this really means? MIT is just interested to see how we all perform this semester of senior year. So let's keep our heads up and give MIT a reason to want to admit us during regular decision! There is always still hope!

Posted by: Kristine on December 17, 2010

Deferred! Well,at least there's still hope!
Only two downsides:
1) I'm going to be freaking out until March
2) I actually have to get serious about other applications....oh, procrastination...

To the people who got admitted: Congrats!
To my fellow deferrals:Don't lose morale!

peace guys!

Posted by: Catherine on December 17, 2010

After the initial jilting, I'm actually pretty happy I got deferred and not rejected; this is my busiest year yet, and I wanna show MIT I'm not letting up. wink

In the spirit of the discussion: good luck, everyone! Stay away from first-degree murder!

Posted by: Jeremy on December 17, 2010

Deferred.
Dejected.
but at least not Rejected.
hopefully my dream can be Resurrected.

Posted by: Jayanth (Jay) Krishnan on December 17, 2010

@Jayanth (Jay) Krishnan

Same here;
don't fear.
Other due dates draw near,
take some time to spread the holiday cheer.

:D

Posted by: Shibo Zhong on December 17, 2010

@ Shibo:
Can't cheer.
filled with tear.
My road to MIT isn't clear,
so I'm trapped in this sphere.

Posted by: milito on December 17, 2010

I was wondering if we'd be able to submit an extra essay to go with our applications to be read for RD? Also, will our midyear reports help tip the balance in our favor if they are really impressive? I was just wondering if that had any effect at all. MIT is my dream school, and I will do whatever it takes to get in! ::not giving up::

Posted by: Allyson on December 17, 2010

Just another question...
I know that test scores are not the primary aspect that MIT looks at, but I feel it is still very important in my case. I got a 690 on my Math II subject test and a 610 on my Physics subject test. Obviously, most MIT students have scored higher than that. However, I got a 2080 on the SAT and a 32 on the ACT. I also got a 4 on the AP Calculus exam and a 3 on the AP Physics exam (which I took as a sophomore; only 3 other sophomores did this). I really would feel comforted if I could hear from someone working with admissions what they think of my predicament. Thank you. My email is [email protected]

Posted by: Allyson on December 17, 2010

Now that the stress of having the server crash while trying to view a decision is over, it's time to renew faith and continue forward (:
Definitely going for it and giving it the all for RD!

Posted by: Derek on December 17, 2010

@ milito:
And So,
we deffered into Limbo go,
and as we face this winter's snow
lets not lose hope and holiday cheer,
and remember we have another decision next year.
:]

Posted by: Alana on December 17, 2010

@Allyson The admissions offices are sure to look at the midyear report. From what I have seen of the admissions process, I am convinced that looks at every facet of an applicant. Every decision has a the reasoning of experienced admissions officers behind it. Though it is impossible for us to know exactly how they decided, we shouldn't start worrying so far from Pi-Day. Spend this time with those you love; you'll be glad you did.

hooray for optimism!

@ Alana:

it's true
this is what we all should do:
step back and look at how far we've come,
since in three months all this will be done
slow down and take this time to remember
the loved ones with which we spend each December

please forgive my rhymes. It's the start of winter break if that makes it any better. raspberry

Posted by: Shibo Z on December 17, 2010

I could be wrong, but it seems to me that if you're the kind of person who posts test scores in a comment section of a blog, you might not be the kind of person MIT is looking for.

Posted by: Just Saying on December 18, 2010

Add another for accepted at Caltech, deferred at MIT.

Posted by: Anonymous on December 18, 2010

Ah well, at least I didn't get rejected.
2290 SAT 1, 2400 SAT 2 (I did 3 of them)
Hoping for a good result in march!

Posted by: Akul on December 18, 2010

FRC!! I saw some more love for it in the other posts.

Amped for the season, great way to take my mind off college... :/

For other distractions (if you need any) there is also Minecraft. Fun stuff, I highly recommend it.

Posted by: Alejandro Younger on December 18, 2010

Oh well...
At least I still have a chance during regular!! smile

Posted by: Yechaan on December 18, 2010

Does anybody know if extra supplementary materials for deferred students are still due by the Regular Decision date of January 1st, or can you submit them with the Midyear Report?

Posted by: Adam on December 18, 2010

@Shilbo, Milito, Alana

On December 14th MIT Admissions sent a "poetry owns," update. Hopefully our deferral poems will receive recognition in March :D

Posted by: Jayanth (Jay) Krishnan on December 18, 2010

@Shibo Thanks smile

@Just Saying This blog entry is for those who are deferred to discuss the application process further and such. And when the weak area of your application is your test scores, it would make logical sense to question how much weight is placed on scores that might make someone feel their their application is insufficient. Obviously, one of the great things about MIT is their holistic approach to applications, school, and their students. But anyone who is feeling nervous about waiting for their decision is going to want consolation, help, and answers; they will want to know whatever it is they need to do to improve their application. Perhaps you are right; since I'm not a student at MIT, I can't make that judgement call. But it is my opinion that worrying about any particular aspect (lets say you're a bad writer worried about essays, or a shy kid worried about the interview results) is just normal anxiety.

Posted by: Allyson on December 18, 2010

Oh, snap, I got deferred, even though I thought my chances were good,
comin' to you right here from a school in the hood.
I haven't lost hope, 'cause MIT is dope,
and since I sent in my supplemental materials late,
it's still all straight,
because they probably had no time to look at that stuff,
which means my original app was buff enough
to get me deferred by itself
and not just put me on the shelf,
or at least they skimmed my supplement, and saw that it was legit
so they gave me another chance for it,
and I know that they will push me through
so I can go to MIT for school
and be an engineer, too-
ya see, it's still all cool.
No worries,
no hurries,
we'll hear in March, so don't be blue.

a reCAPTCHA haiku:
This text is blurry;
I cannot read what it says.
I will guess on it.

Posted by: Robert on December 18, 2010

ACCEPTED AT PENN. WHASSUP Y'ALL

Posted by: :D on December 19, 2010

ACCEPTED AT PENN. WHASSUP Y'ALL

Posted by: :D on December 19, 2010

All the best! Even I felt pretty bad after I got deferred, but good that I didn't get rejected. There's still hope down the road.

Posted by: Abbhi on December 19, 2010

Hello everyone !
All the best guys !! hope most of you get in ....

lot of competition ahead B) ... lol Jking.. TC

Posted by: Shehzad Lokhandwalla on December 19, 2010

Hi guys
I was checking the comments 2 days before the decisions. I saw a quotation that was really nice and i like to share it again. " it is not over until it is over " when i got deferred i felt somehow disappointed but now when i review the quote, i feel
hopeful again.

Posted by: Arman on December 19, 2010

Hey everyone, saw something I thought would help people be optimistic. You just got deferred from one of the hardest schools to get into in the country (maybe even the world). That means you are awesome and that you will go somewhere awesome next year whether or not it is MIT. Chin up, if MIT is meant for you, it'll happen.

Posted by: hopeful'15 on December 19, 2010

Hey guys, I got deferred on Thursday. I woke up Friday morning disappointed, but not heartbroken.

I knew my chances to get into MIT even before I applied (even though I knew I had the credentials to be a strong candidate). I've read that it is actually harder to get in Early than Regular. Nevertheless, I was practical and prepared for both outcomes, and I think that should be a priority for everyone who applies to school like MIT.

The thing is, for all of us who were deferred, is that it isn't a "no". Being deferred to me means that the best engineering school on the planet thinks you have the credentials to attend MIT, and is willing to take an extra look at you. And remember, it could be worse (you could have gotten rejected, like a dear friend of mine).

Good luck to everyone! Even if you don't (or I don't) get into MIT, just remember that "it is MIT". We'll all get into great schools and make the world a better place.

Posted by: Nick Mannarino on December 19, 2010

Everyone,

MIT is the best Math, Science, and Engineering school in the world and it thought we were good enough for a second chance! Good luck to everyone!

Posted by: Kevin G on December 20, 2010

Good luck to everyone! Being deferred is just a way to test our patience.

Posted by: Kevin L on December 20, 2010

Deferred D:
Better than getting rejected, I guess.
Waiting for Pi day...

GOOD LUCK EVERYONE!

Posted by: Steven H on December 20, 2010

I still have a chance!

Posted by: jooyechaan on December 20, 2010

Keeping the hope alive!

Posted by: Stephanie on December 20, 2010

Are we allowed to send in supplemental recommendations after the postmark deadline for regular action? The early action decisions were released on the day before break, and school doesn't reconvene until January 3rd so it would be impossible to get a recommendation before that week. Thanks, Daniel

Posted by: Daniel on December 20, 2010

Hey everyone, don't give up hope! I was deferred as well (and subsequently waitlisted -_- ) but I made it! I know how you feel, but if there's one thing you shouldn't feel, it's a sense of rejection. MIT still wants you! The admission officers would accept you all if they had the chance, but there's only so much room. Just hang in there, focus on your other applications, and send in an update letter if there are any updates in your life (but DONT spam them).

Posted by: Daniel '14 on December 21, 2010

Personally I see this as a challenge to show MIT that I've got what it takes, and I assure you that the midyear report will contain 250 of the best-written words of my life. Sure, I was disheartened to read "deferred", but it's not over yet and I'm not going out without a bang for a school that means as much to me as MIT does. (I just really don't want to have to go to my state school)
I do have a question to anyone who can answer it, though. What are we allowed/recommended to send in addition to the midyear report? Videos, extra recs, anything?

Posted by: Todd Kozlowski on December 22, 2010

What happens to an early action student deferred?

Does he dry up
Like a raisin in the sun?

Or fester like a sore--
And then run?

Does he stink like rotten meat?
Or crust and sugar over--
like a syrupy sweet?

Maybe he just sags
like a heavy load.

Or does he explode?

(Luckily, none of things things have happened. Yet.)

Posted by: Mark Gillespie on December 22, 2010

I have a question.

Since the MIT Admissions office is on break until the 3rd of January, is there a way I can withdraw my application before the 2nd to satisfy a binding Early Decision contract for another university?

I can't seem to find any help on the site and the Admissions officers are out.

Posted by: Richard B. on December 22, 2010

now we can tell our grandchildren that MIT considered us for 3 months! good luck to everyone

Posted by: Alex C on December 22, 2010

@Richard: since MIT EA is not binding, unless it's a single choice early decision you're talking about, I don't think you would have a problem, especially since the next decision for MIT is in March. You know more about your college apps than I, but I don't think you need to worry about withdrawing your MIT application, anyway; at least not so urgently before the end of the break.

Posted by: Robert on December 23, 2010