Chris Peterson SM '13

Dec 12, 2011

MIT EA Decisions To Be Posted Saturday, 12/17, at 12:17 PM EST

As the committee meets for the final week of the Early Action cycle, I wanted to duck out for a moment to let you know that, as the title says, we will be releasing Early Action decisions online this Saturday, 12/17, at 12:17 PM EST.  

To check you decision on the 17th, visit decisions.mit.edu and login with your MyMIT username and password. As soon as you log in, you will receive your decision, so make sure you are ready! 

In order to verify that you will receive a decision on the 17th, you may visit decisions.mit.edu now and log in with your MyMIT username and password. I recommend you do this now. Strange things happen to people who don't verify they will receive their decision! 

If you've forgotten your MyMIT password, you may use our automated system to reset it. Simply visit MyMIT and click on the lost password link. There is a similar link for forgotten usernames. If you're having trouble using our automated username/password recovery process, please email mymitpassword [at] mit [dot] edu with your full name and mailing address. But please, be nice to our office, and don't email that link unless you've tried everything else! 

Admissions decisions will be available exclusively online. Decisions will not be released via email, snail mail, carrier pigeon, carrier dragon, or intergalactic radio broadcast:

However, following the release of admissions decisions, we will be mailing admitted students additional, cylindrical information. 

Good luck and sit tight! 

I highly appreciate the Muppet theme.

Posted by: Susan on December 12, 2011

... who are YOU?

Posted by: Tom on December 12, 2011

Personally, whether the decision is admit, deny or defer, if the decision were delivered via carrier pigeon, owl, or especially giant mechanical dragon, I would be happy just to receive the notice.

On another note, good luck everyone and try not to have a panic attack waiting. Try doing something productive with any free time, like building with Legos. Maybe some MIT themed Legos even !

Posted by: Alexander Ouellet on December 12, 2011

Chris,
Thanks for the comedic relief in a time of extreme anxiety! Ahh! It's gonna be hard to wait for another stressful few days, but I'll try to sit still. Good luck everyone! :D

Posted by: Sean on December 12, 2011

First? Can it be?

I look forward to finding out, whatever way things go smile

Posted by: V on December 12, 2011

As it turns out, not first... oh well.

do MIT themed legos exist? How would that work?

Posted by: V on December 12, 2011

Here we go, MIT.......I found this website earlier to help prepare myself for MIT Physics:
http://ocw.mit.edu/courses/physics/8-01-physics-i-fall-2003/lecture-notes

Check out the lecture notes on the first day:
http://ocw.mit.edu/courses/physics/8-01-physics-i-fall-2003/lecture-notes/binder1.pdf

It's a free openware document of past Physics courses. Good luck everyone!!!

Posted by: James the Great on December 12, 2011

Aww, why can't it be by carrier dragon? XD Haha! Anyways, thank you for the update, Chris. This week is going to be a crazy one.

Posted by: Brandon on December 12, 2011

The 'strange things happen' link more than made my day! What a great comedic relief in a time of high stress due to college admissions and exams.

Posted by: Matthew Davis on December 12, 2011

Oh my goodness ... that's my birthday ...

Posted by: Mary on December 12, 2011

First thought when notice via email:
OMGOMGOMGOMG.... stressed!

Second thought:
That's amazing! We get to know soooooo soon...

Third thought:
This is going to be the LOOOOOoooooooooooooooooooooooOOOOOOOooooooooooongest week ever... Couldn't you have told us Saturday morning so I could actually be able to fall asleep this week.

Anyways... Thanks for the update! Looking forward to getting the decision. Good luck to all that applied!

Posted by: Andrew on December 12, 2011

Carrier dragon would be cool, although not very cost effective. That's why MIT isn't using them, right Chris? raspberry

Posted by: Kevyn(Yes....wtih a "Y") on December 12, 2011

Pfft. And I was looking forward to my carrier dragon, too. Another day, maybe.

~4.76 days to go, people, we can make it! Good luck to everyone!

Posted by: Ken L. on December 12, 2011

This post really made me smile. Gotta love good old Sesame Street!

Thanks so much for the information! I'm glad it's on a Saturday so I won't be sprinting to the computer lab between classes... smile

Posted by: Cho on December 12, 2011

Oh man I am soooo anxious! I jus hope I'm not outright rejected. Good luck to everyone else. We should b happy that we get a decision.

Posted by: Taylor on December 12, 2011

Chris, is there any reason that I didnt receive an email from you? Thanks.

Posted by: Andrew on December 12, 2011

What's up with #1217?

Posted by: CuriousGeorge1217 on December 12, 2011

@Chris, if not getting the email means we are not accepted, please tell us so we could move on from MIT. Thanks.

Posted by: Andrew on December 12, 2011

Hi Andrew -

Not getting the email means one thing, and one thing only: that you did not get the email. It's probably still working its way through the tubes. Or, check your spam folder.

Posted by: Chris Peterson SM '13 on December 12, 2011

I like the subtle tube comment... along with the cylindrical in the actual entry.

Posted by: Andrew (the first one, not the one Chris reference on December 12, 2011

12/17 at 12:17 is very clever smile I can't wait!

Posted by: Josselyn on December 12, 2011

Haha I love the Muppet theme as well! Would this have anything to do with the fact that the last Muppet TV Special was aired on 12/17 in 2008?

Posted by: Ryan on December 12, 2011

This is quite an inconvenience to anyone who observes the Jewish Sabbath. I'm going to have to wait in intense anticipation for over 8 hours before getting to see the decision. This week it won't be the day of rest, it will be the day of anxiety. Friday at 12:16 would have been much better!

Posted by: Adam on December 12, 2011

Someone should just kill me now or else I'll die of anticipation... 5 days guys D:

Posted by: Tony on December 12, 2011

I'm sorry Adam :(

@Adam -

We tend to go live on a weekend, when we can, because it helps our office. We certainly didn't intend to inconvenience any of our Hebrew homies. MIT Hillel has a great life here, and if you have any other concerns just contact us.

Good luck to everyone who applied early! smile

Posted by: Yvonne on December 12, 2011

Psyched to find out, no matter what it is. Also, these comments are interested to say the least. Good luck to everyone, obviously.

And Adam, at least the site hopefully won't be super slow by Saturday night. :/

Posted by: Tobi on December 12, 2011

*interesting.

Also, Hebrew homies! Must use that one in the future!! :D

Posted by: Tobi on December 12, 2011

i am soo excited!!!! hopefully i get in! ;D

Posted by: izzy kaddizi on December 12, 2011

I foresee the site crashing at 12:18

Posted by: Andrea on December 12, 2011

I feel like a cup of Wilkins coffee will make my Saturday complete. (Ah, how I love Muppets) Time to bust out the chocolate.

Posted by: thelittlerhoboatthatcould on December 12, 2011

OK, did anyone else not receive an email? I checked my spam and nothing was there. I can only imagine the worst case scenario for not getting one...the last few days have been quite horrible.

Posted by: Andrew on December 12, 2011

Well,

I usually hold a very pessimistic view on life. I dont want to get all worked to be let down again. Let there be a small tiny corner in the back of my mind that is conscious of the decision coming near, but otherwise, I am going to immerse myself completely to IB.

Thank GOD!!! for IB. Finally IB keeping me busy is going to be directly useful.

Posted by: Shayan on December 12, 2011

Andrew, like I said before: if you didn't get the email it's only because you didn't get it!

A carrier dragon? This isn't Hogwarts. Hah!
Good luck everyone! Luckily, you will not have to be fighting off any dragons this year to get your decision!

Posted by: Mason Williams on December 12, 2011

What?!?!? No intergalactic radio broadcast? Must be the recession :b

Posted by: Edward on December 12, 2011

Thank you chris, i got your email, and i really 'preciate it. Family conflicts and other things have made me quite depressed lately. I shouldnt be like this. I'll learn to cheer up soon...

Posted by: Andrew on December 12, 2011

Gosh, I didn't see the decision DATE announcement, and I couldn't click the email for 20 minutes!

Hope I could keep going into mit.edu...please!

Posted by: Danny on December 12, 2011

Hi Chris,
Does this apply to transfer applicants as well since we did not go through MyMIT during the application process?

Thanks for the heads up-

Jesse

Posted by: Jesse on December 12, 2011

No it does not Jesse.

@Chris: I live on Mars and only applied to MIT because I heard it was a really good Earth school. If you are not releasing decisions via intergalactic radio broadcast, how will I find out? I only ask because we don't have Internet on Mars (in fact, I'm relaying this signal to an Earthling computer via Morse Code right. now.)

Also, pulling a Herman Cain, but quoting the Muppets instead of Pokemon? Classy.

:D

Posted by: Marty on December 12, 2011

Shayan, your comment about IB made me think of The Way. We're reading The Dao De Jing in philosophy. During times like these, we could all use a little meditation and self-reflection to stay calm. Being "even-minded in success and in failure" is the key. Just go with the flow. Be water. Be The Dao.

=]

Posted by: Gita on December 12, 2011

That's my birthday... hopefully I'll get a good birthday present, but I'm prepared for the worst!

Posted by: Vishal Kal on December 12, 2011

Hehe, so exciting! I loved this post. I think I'll be like the blue Martian at 2:18 if I get good news Saturday :D

Posted by: Ceili on December 12, 2011

LOL Vishal, seriously? You are in my school and you didn't even tell me.
In any case, everyone, just remember, whatever college you head on to, you are still gonna kick posterior.

Posted by: KP on December 12, 2011

I pretty much had a heart attack when I opened my email today.

I'm kind of disappointed that Griffins don't get their rep in here. I use own for larger packages mostly.

Just gonna keep on doin' my do until Saturday... stinks I won't be home at that time. I hope the site won't blow up my phone.

Posted by: Michael on December 12, 2011

Thanks for the heads up, Chris! And now we wait... (emphasis on the ellipsis)

Posted by: Dan on December 12, 2011

I never got my email (I have a gmail and I checked all my folders and verified my login) but I wont stress it. Can't wait for decisions, 12:17 is approximately the time I will wake up that day.

Posted by: Jay-Z on December 13, 2011

Ughh.... I work until 1:30. That's gonna be a torturous hour and 13 minutes.
Anyway, I really really hope I get in. Good luck to you all!
I <3 MIT

Posted by: Jordi on December 13, 2011

I'm actually really nervous for Saturday. I gave it my best, so I hope it was enough. Everything about MIT is just so exciting and down-to-earth! Good luck, guys. smile

Posted by: Josh on December 13, 2011

Happy Early B-day, Vishal!
Just out of curiosity, are the tubes made out of environmentally sustainable materials?

Posted by: KP on December 13, 2011

i am currently studying in nepal. i want to continue my bachelor's educationin M.I.T. so can you please guide me through the proceess to getting into mit. how will my +2 percentages effect the chances of getting into mit. what must me minimum sat and toefl marks to get into mit.

what else can i do to prepare myself for getting into mit.
do my extra curricular activities certificates help the chances to get into m.i.t.

hope to hear from u soon . bye

Posted by: prakash timilsina on December 13, 2011

@prakash timilsina: The +2 percentages do hold a significant weight in the admissions decisions.There is no such minimum score specified but yes most of the admitted class has scores above 720 in SAT's and above 105 in TOEFL.Rest it depends how you present yourself.Good Luck!!!

Posted by: Bhaskar on December 13, 2011

Will anyone be checking the decisions at URJ Biennial? : )

Posted by: Jordan on December 13, 2011

Like the date too!!!

Hey Chris, I know that cylindrical information is not sent to students living outside the US. Is it possible to give a supplemental US address in case we were so lucky as to be granted a tube???

Have a great holdiay, you all deserve it and need to rest up for the next BIG push!!!

Posted by: Mammi on December 13, 2011

As a parent, I am appreciated MIT provide such a fun theme to help students' 'relax'. But mean while, it will be nervous moment to figure out the 12:17 result.
Best luck for all of you.
MIT is the best !

Posted by: L. Wang on December 13, 2011

So....any chance I can be frozen in carbonite, put into hibernation next to Master Chief, or put into a medically induced coma until Saturday so I don't have to wait?

Posted by: Ryan on December 13, 2011

@Jordan YES!!! I will be checking at Biennial and im from NAR

Posted by: Ariel on December 13, 2011

I just hope I don't get deferred, because my second choice school requires a lot of forms and deposits before I would get my decision from MIT so I will have no choice, but to go to my second choice regardless of whether or not I end up getting accepted to MIT

Posted by: technobyrd on December 13, 2011

This is just terrible, just terrible I will not be able to sleep until Saturday afternoon now. Just the anticipation alone makes it near impossible to calm down enough to find out but when I did go to sleep last night I kept having this stupid dream that Statler and Waldorff were doing commentary while Beaker was trying to help me log in to the decision link.
That is not a very good omen.

Posted by: Michael on December 13, 2011

You think it is terrible?! I have finals this week in addition to the painstaking anticipation! hah ;D

Posted by: Mason Williams on December 13, 2011

If you've read this far, you either are falling in love with MIT and MIT students all over again for the hundredth time (like me,) or you have way too much free time (not like me.) Either way, good luck to everyone and remember that no matter what happens, we were all lucky enough to be considered by a school as amazing as MIT and we're going to do great no matter what happens

Posted by: Cristian on December 13, 2011

Decisions at Tomato Time? I approve! Wish they had done this last year.

Posted by: Jenny R 2015 on December 13, 2011

No EA admit prize tubes this year?

Posted by: James on December 13, 2011

James, there are, the blog says they are mailing cylindrical msgs. to early admits.

Posted by: Sarah on December 13, 2011

Will they be released at 12:12 on 12/12/2012 next year?

Posted by: R R on December 13, 2011

Just wanted to finally say something on the blogs conidering all I ever do is read all of you guys and stress about the decision. I would consider that normal... haha good luck everyone!

Posted by: ErikS on December 14, 2011

Hey everyone ,reading your comments i m too enthusiastic about your results and is hoping best for all of u . I m from India in 12 grade and em goin to apply for MIT EA in year 2012 (next year) . Please can some one guide me any preparation.

Posted by: Millin on December 14, 2011

I just hope good luck for everyone ...... But I need to wait till March ( Regular decision ) ...... :(

Posted by: Abderhman on December 14, 2011

@Ariel sorry for the late response but I'm from MV! See you tomorrow night! Ha

Posted by: Jordan on December 14, 2011

Hey! Everyone! According to the internet, I've found the EA servers!
Fear not, for they are now in good hands.
(...I wish my room looked like that...)

Posted by: Anyan E. Maus on December 14, 2011

I love this post.

@Millin: International applicants can only apply through regular action.

Posted by: Ashwin on December 14, 2011

oh, no tube this year?

Posted by: Joyce on December 15, 2011

Best of luck guys, for ur result, may all of you get selected, but plz leave room for me, even i'm applying regular action though, so, good luck, and any one of you get selected, plz do come back to me.. for advice.

Posted by: karan on December 15, 2011

@Joyce
"However, following the release of admissions decisions, we will be mailing admitted students additional, cylindrical information."

Posted by: Mason Williams on December 15, 2011

hi guys, im getting anxious as well, best of luck.. hey chris, plz get back to me, with something solid, and not the same just be yourself, plzzz..

Posted by: karan on December 15, 2011

Finals week AND admission decisions. The stress level has gone through the roof.

Just keep smiling and laughing; it'll be alright I guess. Thanks for the Muppets, Chris!

Posted by: Blake on December 15, 2011

I''m crossing my fingers. This week seems to be going really slowly. I wish everyone luck. I love the muppets video, it's just the catharsis I needed to survive until Saturday.

Posted by: Patrick on December 15, 2011

i used to measure time in spongebob episodes. 151 until decision time.

Posted by: MikeK on December 15, 2011

Anxiously awaiting my decision like everyone else, doing what the decision website says and doing that which I do for fun. I just re-read The Tempest and the final lines hit me even more than ever.
"And my ending is despair,
Unless I be relieved by prayer,
Which pierces so that it assaults
Mercy itself and frees all faults.
As you from crimes would pardon'd be,
Let your indulgence set me free"

Posted by: Steph on December 16, 2011

17 hours, 47 minutes. I think it is now time to tear out my hair with my bare hands and run in circles screaming at the top of my lungs. Good luck everyone.

Posted by: Shayan on December 16, 2011

@Shayan, as of right now, 35 hours and 28 minutes remain. I don't know where you got 17 hours, 47 minutes.

Posted by: Daniel on December 16, 2011

Yeah, I dont know where I got it either. Great, I am losing my mind.

Posted by: Shayan on December 16, 2011

Good luck, applicants!
Remember: fear not, the EA servers are in good hands!
I'm sure the Hero of the Internet won't let you down.

Posted by: Anyan E. Maus on December 16, 2011

1217 and 2011 are prime numbers and MIT selects "prime" candidates - is that a reason for the date and time!

Posted by: optimistic-mom on December 16, 2011

I hope the site doesn't crash. I'm gonna be refreshing it from noon until I get the decision.

Posted by: James Stewart from sunny Florida on December 16, 2011

DO NOT open that cylindrical thing over your laptop

Posted by: Shri G. on December 16, 2011

I hope I can sleep tonight! :S

Posted by: Mason Williams on December 16, 2011

I used to be nervous about my decision from MIT... then I took an arrow to the knee

Posted by: Patrick on December 16, 2011

<3 Patrick<3

I'm buying Skyrim if I don't get in.

Posted by: Michael Perrone on December 16, 2011

Just a few more minutes!

Posted by: Mason Williams on December 17, 2011

Hey Chris, can I include in my midyear report that I posted the "best blog comment ever" (from the Novembeard article) on the MIT blogs raspberry I was deferred and thought that I should demonstrate my sense of humor somewhere in my application. hah ;D

@ Chris. Can we send any additional information / essays that we can turn in if we were deferred during the early application process so that it can be considered for the regular application decision? I know we have to hand in our mid year report grades, but can we provide anything more?

Posted by: Shayan on December 17, 2011