Dave McOwen

Sep 10, 2010

Opera

One of my housemates here in Boston is a grad student at the MIT Media Lab, which is great for me because it gives me an excuse to go visit what I brazenly call The Birthplace of All Things Good and Awesome (I'm working on a shorter, catchier title).

Aside from the brilliantly practical solutions, inspiring innovations, and the mind-blowing leaps I only dimly grasp, I've been following the Opera of the Future project with growing anticipation. If you're unfamiliar with the decade-long project, let me sum it up for you:

Opera + Robots = WIN.

Okay so it's a lot more complicated than that, blending human performances with a sprawling, robot-controlled set in a "disembodied performance" that integrates with and enhances the living performers rather than overshadowing. It's the vision of Media Lab Professor Tod Machover, who has already done groundbreaking work developing a new generation of digitally integrated musical instruments.

But hey, why don't I let Professor Machover speak for himself.

You can read a great article on the Opera of the Future over on the MIT News Office site.

And hey, while we're all waiting for the Opera to show up a little closer to home, why not help the Personal Robotics Group train the next generation of social robots from the comfort of your browser? Play Mars Escape.

MIT-Art & Science
Wonderful post... I am really amazed...

Posted by: Ruslan'15 on September 10, 2010

I I <3 opera.
I <3 music, actually. And singing. It's awesome.
This is amazing! I have to say I don't completely understand it... but hopefully I'll get it soon.

Posted by: MolesPerLiter on September 10, 2010

omg I totally want to see this now!! Tell them to come to Houston! (Or maybe I'll get in this year and maybe they'll still perform it? *wistful*)

Posted by: MIT Applicant ('15?) on September 11, 2010