COVID-19

Learn more about how MIT Admissions is responding to COVID-19 in this blog post from our Dean and new dedicated FAQs.

MIT staff blogger Dave McOwen

Opera by Dave McOwen

No, not the browser

One of my housemates here in Boston is a grad student at the MIT Media Lab, which is great for me because it gives me an excuse to go visit what I brazenly call The Birthplace of All Things Good and Awesome (I’m working on a shorter, catchier title).

Aside from the brilliantly practical solutions, inspiring innovations, and the mind-blowing leaps I only dimly grasp, I’ve been following the Opera of the Future project with growing anticipation. If you’re unfamiliar with the decade-long project, let me sum it up for you:

Opera + Robots = WIN.

Okay so it’s a lot more complicated than that, blending human performances with a sprawling, robot-controlled set in a “disembodied performance” that integrates with and enhances the living performers rather than overshadowing. It’s the vision of Media Lab Professor Tod Machover, who has already done groundbreaking work developing a new generation of digitally integrated musical instruments.

But hey, why don’t I let Professor Machover speak for himself.

You can read a great article on the Opera of the Future over on the MIT News Office site.

And hey, while we’re all waiting for the Opera to show up a little closer to home, why not help the Personal Robotics Group train the next generation of social robots from the comfort of your browser? Play Mars Escape.

3 responses to “Opera”

1. Ruslan'15 says:

MIT-Art & Science
    Wonderful post… I am really amazed…

2. I I <3 opera.
    I <3 music, actually. And singing. It’s awesome.
    This is amazing! I have to say I don’t completely understand it… but hopefully I’ll get it soon.

3. omg I totally want to see this now!! Tell them to come to Houston! (Or maybe I’ll get in this year and maybe they’ll still perform it? *wistful*)