Feb 21, 2006

Pi Day = Mail Day? Too Early To Know

Posted in: Process & Statistics

Hi everyone,

There have been a lot of comments in the blogs that we're going to mail on Pi Day this year. This was indeed the case last year, but we don't yet have a mail date set for this year. Just wanted to clarify - it will indeed be in mid-March, but Mail Day depends on a variety of factors, one of which is how long selection takes. And as you know, we've just begun. :-)

As soon as I know the official day, YOU will know!

:-) Ben

Pi Day seems so romantic, if I may say so, being the MIT and all, but we'll be waiting.

Posted by: Dapo on February 21, 2006

Hey, I wonder if you could post a chart of applications number depending on country, like it was done last year. It was a very interesting stat...

Posted by: jpsi on February 21, 2006

"Hey, I wonder if you could post a chart of applications number depending on country, like it was done last year. It was a very interesting stat..."

That would be great!

Does anyone know where is the last year chart, any link?

Good Luck

Posted by: Juan Jhong Chung on February 21, 2006

Ben, Is the online notification plan still in the works? If so, would it coincide with the Mail day?

Posted by: renuka on February 21, 2006

Ben ---> Always grin

Posted by: :D on February 21, 2006

what to people think?

Will it be before or after Pi day?

A post like this makes me lean on the "after pi day" side..

Good luck with the selection, and make sure to take breaks!

Posted by: 0 on February 22, 2006

I stick with "after pi-day"

Posted by: Arka on February 22, 2006

those links you posted above are just the common data set that like every school has online...

i dunno, with record numbers applying, they might not make it in time

Posted by: 0 on February 22, 2006

of course, i wouldn't mind it being earlier raspberry

thanks for letting us kno tho!

Posted by: Phil on February 22, 2006

Hah the feeling of waiting is always terrible. It will even get stronger when the day of decision come near. It is sometimes conflicting feeling to me, I wish to see the result but I fear to see it. Other guys, do you have the same feeling.

Posted by: C Minh on February 22, 2006

Hi CMinh, are you from HCM or HN or elsewhere? If HCM, what school are you in?

Cheers,

Posted by: Minh on February 22, 2006

Hi Ben!

Can it be before pi day? I'd prefer that, so that I can (possibly) get my admission decision on pi day. That would be cool.

Posted by: Edward on February 22, 2006

Hi Ben Jones

Thanks for all your work.

Good luck everyone

Posted by: Felipe J. Depine on February 22, 2006

3.14 is nice, but then again 3.15 is National Holiday of Hungary and the day Caesar was murdered. and 3.16 is "square-root 10" day smile and 3.17 is another special day smile And then again, 3.xx is the day we'll get our Decisions smile THAT will be a very special day. Especially if one (me?) is admitted. And a request from here: please take your time and consider and ignore even the slightest pressure from us to finish by any arbitrary "nice date" smile Thanks!

Posted by: Csaba on February 22, 2006

Interesting! Hi I am a student in HCM city. And you, let me make a guess, you are a student in LHP high school. Which subject are U interested in.

Posted by: C Minh on February 22, 2006

Dear anonymous there are answers for many questions that were laid by the flock here in the previous Ben and Matt blogs. Hence I thought that these links are important.

Thank U for U R comment

Posted by: Important on February 22, 2006

Hi Ben! After hearing all this 'fuss' about the exact day of admissions I would just like to say that I really believe that getting our admission decisions on pi-day would be cool by no means should you feel any pressure or think that you have to send them by then. I have complete confidence in you and all of the admission staff to do what you believe is the best course of action. I wish everyone all the best of luck and may everyone's wishes come true. (Including mine) smile

Posted by: Fadl on February 22, 2006

Ben also let us know whether there is any chance we may recieve our selection results through e-mail, it will definitely be faster!

Posted by: Syed Taimoor Ghazanfar on February 22, 2006

Hi CMinh, your guess is almost right. Nonetheless I don't think we should chat here. My yahoo screenname is aminh98q1; if you would like to chat, contact me via YMessg.

Posted by: Minh on February 22, 2006

Oh guys, you make me feel as if the mail day is just tommorow.

In the mean time, I think it's better to kill the time by talking about sth else. Do anyone of you have the number of students in each major? By the way, I think that each of U choose one major before applying to MIT. With me my major is Maths, I want to know how many ones of you share my interest.

Posted by: C Minh on February 22, 2006

Be sure to put my name in extra big and bold font for your admissions dartboard. Thanks a bunch. smile

Posted by: Joe Combs on February 22, 2006

Hey fellows!

I think C Minh is right. We really should talk

about something else... For example, I wonder

who of you are interested in Chemistry or Biology?

They are my favorite subjects I guess smile.

Those of you who think the same, please raise your hand! raspberry

By the way I have Chemistry Olympiad this Sunday!

Wish me luck! smile

Posted by: Ivan Ivanov on February 23, 2006

yeah, good luck on that, i forgot to do it this year.... but i took chem last yr anyway, i might not do as well on it if i took it this year...

Posted by: Siddharth on February 23, 2006

I tried to do the physics olympiad last year, but we only had taken an algebraic course that was not in depth. i wish i could have tried agian this year. any way... GOOD LUCK!

Posted by: Brent on February 24, 2006

brent doesnt believe that im awesome, so hopefully this post will dispel that notion. u dont have to understand :D

Posted by: Siddharth on February 24, 2006

sidd goes tomy school so its just friendly competition

Posted by: Brent on February 24, 2006

Why don't we talk about music? Or art? Or... what are we going to do this weekend?

Posted by: Nina on February 24, 2006

im going to be studying for exams this weekend... its really just bio and physics that could give me trouble, but bio is really knowledge-intensive and physics is practice-intensive now b/c we're doing e&m and that stuff's just not natural, at least not for me :D it doesnt make sense, i swear!

music? try this on for size: inxs - afterglow, matchbox 20 - unwell, and enya - set adrift on a memory bliss. those are the three songs im listening to right now. yes, all at the same time.

Well, sounds great! =) I'm trying to finish a few piles of documents and some translations /that's my job/. and.. i'm really tired and exausted and.. i just want some sleeeeeep. And what about art???

Posted by: Nina on February 24, 2006

Art is cool! I love van Gogh's work! And James Balog!

Posted by: Kelley on February 26, 2006

What about Durer? Does anybody like Durer?

Posted by: Nina on February 27, 2006

Please, please, PLEASE don't make the same mistake as what happened with the EA deferrals, it was heartbreaking :(

Posted by: Olga on February 28, 2006