MIT blogger Cami M. '23

2020 Resolutions by Cami M. '23

posting so i can be held accountable

Happy New Year!

I usually make resolutions every year, but I forgot to make them for last year, so I decided to show you mine for this year and give some more information so that when 2021 rolls around we can look back and be like “ohhh wowww you did so much” or like “ohhh god cami you really dropped the ball”. So, here’s to accountability!

bullet journal image of my resolutions

Get Fit

• gym four times a week

I started going to the gym when I came to MIT and I actually really enjoy it and seeing my progress. Since I’ve been home, I have not stepped foot in the gym. For 2020, I want to see how much progress I can make if I consistently go to the gym for a year! I’ll most likely take progress pics throughout the year just so I can see how things go.

Get Smart

• maintain a 4.5/5.0 GPA

Okay I actually don’t know how realistic this is, but I really want to start emphasizing healthy study habits and academics now that PNR is ending and I’ll be on actual grades very soon.

• get a summer internship

You can see my internship freakouts in my last post.

• read at least 5 books

Fun fact: I don’t read a lot. Or like, at all. It makes me feel really guilty. I’ve probably consumed more fanfiction in my life than I have non-fanfiction content which is…probably not good. I am going to fix that. If you have book recommendations for me, please let me know! Some of my favorite books are Sharp Objects by Gillian Flynn, Invisible Monsters by Chuck Palahniuk, and Pride and Prejudice by Jane Austen. So, I guess, edgy intense books and then books that read like romcoms? Please. Suggestions.

• go to a coding conference

I actually have a ticket to WECode 2020 and I’m simultaneously very nervous and excited! It’s my first coding conference, hell, first compsci related event I’ve ever been to and I really have no idea what to expect. I really hope I learn a lot!!

• try a hackathon

If not a hackathon, then some sort of coding competition, like BattleCode, weblab, or PokerBots. For now, I will Hone my skills and sit and train so that next year I can kick ass.

• learn LaTeX, HTML/CSS, Java, JavaScript, and Python

I know ~some~ Java from APCSA but not very well. I am planning to teach myself LaTeX so I can make those fancy notes that everyone has. I am somewhat familiar with HTML/CSS (shoutout Tumblr!) but not enough to make my own website or anything. I am planning to learn Python in January so! Very excited.

Get Out

• go to at least 3 musicals

Over break, I reignited my love for musicals (namely: Wicked, Heathers, Hamilton, Dear Evan Hansen) and realized I’ve only been to one (1) musical in my whole life. This is unacceptable. I’m planning to go to New York sometime this year so!!! hopefully I can see some musicals :o)

• go to at least 3 concerts

I’ve been to maybe 30 or 40 concerts in the past four years but my numbers noticeably dropped in this past year. I am planning to go to see Rex Orange County this year. Some artists I really want to see on tour this year are Harry Styles, Niall Horan, Doja Cat, BTS, NIKI, Joji, Rich Brian, and Eric Nam. But, alas, my wallet says no.

• go to at least 3 museums

I need to Stimulate My Mind.

• document the movies, tv shows, and video games I watch/play

Just so I can see how this year went. I like keeping track of the media I consume because I think it reflects a lot about the year.

Get Real

• redo wardrobe and accessories

I’ve realized recently that I really want to change up my look and style. I don’t really know if it’s well known on the blogs yet (?) but I’m really into fashion, makeup, and style. I’ve been compiling style inspiration on Instagram and approaching shopping as a curator rather than a consumer. Since I’ve been doing that, I’ve been really critically evaluating the image I’m putting into the world visually and would love to become more bold with my outfits and accessories. I will maybe eventually make a wardrobe haul because I plan to splurge. I’ve ordered new earrings and started ordering more niche-type clothing, along with colored contacts so WOOOOO

• improve makeup skills

I used to be really active with doing my makeup back in middle school and the first two years of high school, but I dropped off in favor of skincare. I’ve been maintaining a really good skincare routine and I love the way my skin looks and feels, but I really miss doing intricate eyeshadow looks. For now, I think I’ll avoid using foundation to maintain my skin, but experiment a bit more with looks.

• get your nails done

Okay I just really want to get my nails done. I’ve gotten them done before, but I’ve never gotten acrylic nails before and I’m very curious.

Get Experience

• join a dance group

All my life I’ve wanted to dance, but I’ve been too self-conscious to join one. Now, I’m just gonna throw myself in the deep end and do what I want to do.

• join an acapella group

This one is maybe less likely since acapella groups here are a bit more competitive but see above.

• keep being active in The Tech

I really like writing and I think The Tech (MIT’s student-led newspaper) pushes me to be a better writer and handle deadlines better.

• I didn’t write this on here but I remembered it: cook more

I got really lazy this past semester and stopped cooking. I should probably do that and maintain more self-care, rather than relying on Aiden to cook me meals or on Snackpass.

Get Creative

• blog at least once a week

Hey! That’s this. Yes, I love blogging and I think it’s a great way for me to document my life here at MIT while also being able to express my feelings and passions with the world.

• keep website updated

I’ve been fiddling around with my Tumblr, trying to turn it into a good reflection of who I am as a person and putting all my projects on there. Will work on getting a domain. It’ll basically just be a hub for all the stupid things I do (movie calendar, class list, etc.)

• not on there but: bullet journal consistently

I’ve tried for like the past four years to maintain a bullet journal but never have really successfully maintained it. Hopefully this year will be the year!

Get Rich

• save $3000 dollars by end of the year

Perhaps $5,000 is a bit ambitious. I’ve never been good with money. In fact, I’m awful with money. I spend things really fast, I rarely save money, and it usually results in me panicking unnecessarily. So yes, may 2020 be a lucrative year.

• start budget tracking

I’ll most likely start documenting the money I spend in my bullet journal

• own 5 designer items by the end of the year

As I said before, I’m really into fashion. I love livin’ that lavish, luxurious lifestyle. I thrive off of brand name. I am just That Bitch tbh. So yes! I would love to own something expensive that I bought with my own money. It would mean a lot to me.

What I hope 2020 brings

My motto going into 2020 is “Do what you like and drop what you don’t” as well as “Treat yourself.” These past couple days I’ve thought a lot about self-care and the person I’ve become. I’ve changed a lot since high school and because of that, I’ve realized that the people I used to surround myself with may not be the best fit for me. I’ve dropped a lot of people and that’s okay. I’ve dropped a lot of projects this year, and that’s okay, too.

I also realize I put in a lot of effort into my relationships, whether that be romantic or platonic, and I want to ensure that I surround myself with people who will match that energy. When I put in time and effort into someone, I expect they do that in return. I think my 2019 had a lot of wasted energy and unbalanced relationships, so for 2020, I’m going to be a lot more conscious of my time and my effort and make sure that the people I love emulate and return that same love I give them.

Along these same lines, I really want to spend more time on myself and doing things I want without shame. I’ve started doing that a bit in this first semester of college, but I really want 2020 to reflect a year of boldness and unabashed behavior. I’m going to start dressing how I want to, doing what I want to, acting how I want to, and living how I want to. And I’m really excited to see where next year takes me.