[Joint Post] A Jaunt Across Europe (Part 1) by Kanokwan T. '25

vomiting in Venice and other Italian adventures

Intro [Gosha]

It all started with a dormspam.01 dormspam refers to emails sent out to the entire MIT undergrad population, which usually amount to advertisements of events and programs and people trying to sell clothing At some point last year, I got an advertisement for MIT Spokes that caught my interest. Every year, Spokes gathers a group of students to bike across the country, from DC to San Francisco, and host “learning festivals” at local schools along the way. Though I really like the idea, I couldn’t work it into my summer plans. Still, the idea of a long-distance bike trip caught my attention. I had never thought about it before, but it seemed like a perfect way to really see a region, and not just the big cities. Then, sometime over the summer, I learned about Eurovelo, a network of intercity bike routes stretching all across Europe. It seemed like the perfect way to get into bike trekking – some of the routes promised clear signage and well-maintained roads. I swore I would try it out sooner rather than later.

The idea of biking along a Eurovelo route rattled around my brain a while longer, following me through the fall. I would idly look at different routes, and eventually one in particular caught my eye: Eurovelo 8. It stretches all along the Mediterranean coast, from Spain to the Balkans. All the photos I would see from the route looked absolutely gorgeous. Plus, I had never been to Spain. That was it. I decided I wanted to bike along the Spanish coast, and that I wanted to do it over IAP. Why wait?

Intro [Kano]

As for me, it all started with MISTI Italy GTL.02 MISTI (MIT International Science and Technology Initiatives) runs global travel experiences for MIT. GTL (Global Teaching Labs) is the specific program that I was going to be a part of in Italy I was supposed to go for my freshman IAP, but it was postponed to sophomore year due to COVID-19 spikes. Then, sophomore fall came around and, due to a series of unfortunate events, I decided to take leave for the semester. Before making this big decision, I asked S^303 Student Support Services “will I still be able to do MISTI Italy?” I was told yes, and decided to proceed with a leave. Two months later, to my surprise, I received an email from MISTI stating that I would have to again postpone my program to the next IAP, accompanied with a sincere apology from S^3 stating that they had provided me with the wrong information. 

For a short while, I was pretty bummed out. I learned that, as a student on leave, I couldn’t participate in any MIT-funded programs or classes. Additionally, by the time I found this out (which was mid-November), virtually all non-MIT travel programs like interning or teaching abroad had been booked up. Every time I called, emailed, or applied to a program, I was met with no spots left for me. By this point, I strongly considered solo-backpacking Europe,04 Amber, a fellow blogger, has also blogged about this, linked <a href="https://mitadmissions.org/blogs/entry/my-gap-year/" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer">here</a>. or something akin to that. I knew that by this point, with my goal of travel in mind, I had to carve out an itinerary of my own. And, luckily, I had savings that I could pull from, which I built up by working during my gap year. Though, I was still feeling a bit queasy over having to plan this solo trip out.

In the midst of planning my trip, with what felt like the voice of the gods, I came across an Instagram story from Gosha. The stars aligned, and so did our itineraries. I’d like to note that Gosha and I barely knew each other by this point. We had spent maybe an hour total together in-person from randomly bumping into each other on my dorm floor. In many ways, this was a risk on both of our parts, but a risk we were both willing to take. And so our trip planning began.

Planning [Gosha]

Of course, planning a bike trip on a different continent that would fit in the span of 10 or so days is a difficult task, especially when you’ve never done anything like it before. Given the ambition of the endeavor, I didn’t want to do it alone. Plus, things like this are generally more fun when there’s someone to share the memories with. Unfortunately, none of the friends I asked about maybe joining the trip seemed interested/available. Many were doing GTL, others didn’t want to bike, etc. Finally, growing a bit desperate, I decided to post a story on my Instagram, asking if anyone might be interested. Surprisingly, the story got a lot of replies – most of them commenting on what a cool idea it was and wishing me luck, though the people themselves couldn’t make it. One person, though, seemed interested – Kano.

Over the course of a couple of weeks, Kano and I set up a series of video calls over which we ironed out the details of the trip. Kano wanted to go to Italy, and I had never been. So why not join her? We decided we would first go to Italy to see different cities and then to Spain, where we would bike along the coast. Specifically, I wanted to bike from Barcelona to Valencia. I had heard that this stretch was absurdly beautiful, and it seemed to fall neatly on the EuroVelo 8 route. The problem was, it’s hard to estimate how long you can bike for when you’ve never quite done anything similar, and all you have to work with are Google Maps and your own estimating abilities. Between the uncertainty in what the trip would look like, our desire to see more cities in Spain,05 Madrid, anyone? and difficulties with long-term bike rentals, the biking aspect of the trip kept on getting trimmed down. In the end, we decided to just do something simple. Instead of biking from one city to another and running the risk of falling behind schedule, we decided that we would just bike out of Barcelona for one day and then bike back the next day. This way, we could just see how far we could go without having to guess ahead of time. Plus, we wouldn’t have to backtrack to return our bikes, since our route would bring us back to where we started.

The final piece of the trip came together when my friend Selena expressed interest in joining the biking. Selena would be spending IAP with the Spanish incubator06 an MIT literature class taught in Spain every IAP program in Madrid. However, if Kano and I went to Italy first, Selena would finish the class just in time to join us in Barcelona and bike from there. Selena also kept talking about going to Paris, since she’s in Europe already, and I was intrigued. Plus, two of our friends would be in Paris for a semester-long exchange program, and I wanted to visit the city while we were there. I knew that I couldn’t do all of three at once: spend a while in Italy, bike in Spain, and go to Paris. In the end, I decided I would get to Italy later than Kano and only see Milan,07 and, spontaneously, Venice, but we’ll get to that then use the extra time to go to Paris after Spain, while Kano would fly back to Boston. Thus, a relatively simple idea turned into a race to see as much of Europe as possible in two weeks…

Notion [Kano]

We had so much going on with this trip so, accordingly, we needed a planning platform that could handle a lot. I remember starting off in a very rough Google doc with Selena and Gosha and thinking, *sigh* “this would be so much better in Notion.08 all-in-one notetaking and productivity platform I love this application so much. We had 2 phases of planning: (1) selecting locations and dates based on all of our travel needs and (2) booking all the things. All three of us had very different reasons for going on this trip and somewhat-overlapping timelines, and we put that information in a Notion calendar to find our common ground. With trying to balance interdependent factors, things got complicated real fast. So, we decided to establish our “hard points,” a.k.a. must-do things: biking along the coast of Spain, taking a sunset train to Valencia, staying in a hotel at our final city of the trip, and so on. All in all, things eventually fell into place. 

I need to gush over Notion more. With the first tab of our planning database, you can see everything that’s going on. With the following three tabs, each category of planning is separated: the “Transportation” tab laid out how we planned to get around each day, the “Lodging” tab laid out where we would sleep every night, and the “Funsies” tab laid out all of our activities. This allowed us to easily catch any gaps in our planning. We also attached screenshots of all the bookings we made into each applicable entry of the calendar. The final tab houses personal itineraries that were automatically generated from the group itinerary, which I find so mentally satisfying. With no stone left unturned, we were ready to embark on this adventure.

January 17th: Las Vegas → Rome [Kano]

From the US to Italy, I went! Even while I was in the Las Vegas airport, this entire trip felt surreal. It couldn’t have been happening for someone like me. As a first-generation, low-income student, I never fathomed being able to go on a trip like this for my entire life. It always felt out of reach, something that I could only daydream about. I had always wanted to see the world, but didn’t know quite how. For IAP, my inner child was truly over the moon.

selfie of woman with her 2 suitcases and 1 backpack

packed up and ready to go!

On the plane, I made friends with the person sitting next to me: a fellow university student who happened to be a Roman local. She gave me some wonderfully specific recommendations: order the Negroni Sbagliato from the bar On the Rox, wander to a cute cafe and order a Cornetto with a cappuccino for breakfast, and so on. It’s nice to see a place through the eyes of someone who lives and breathes it. As they say, “When in Rome, do as the Romans do.”

January 18th: Rome [Kano]

In search of things to do in Rome, I browsed Google Maps and noticed line art symbols that accompanied notable locations all over the city. In short, there were historical marvels everywhere. Certainly, sites like these existed in the US, but I had never seen such a deep concentration of beautiful places on my phone map before. 

city corridor in Rome

the rain paints the ground in reflection

My suitcase wheels were met with old, beaten Roman tile. Lugging a checked bag, carry-on, and filled backpack was not the vibe. If you ever go on a hostel-centered trip, I highly recommend only having a carry-on. The main reason I had my checked bag was because I was traveling to MIT immediately afterward, but knowing what I know now, I would’ve asked around more diligently for someone else to take my checked bag. Hostels, at least all the ones I stayed at, offered lockers that could only fit carry-ons anyways. While trudging through the rain with all of my heavy belongings, I felt, in a funny way, cinematic. Anyways, I made it to my hostel, settled in, napped, and prepared for a fun evening.

First, I visited the Trevi Fountain. It was still raining, and that added to the water of the fountain feeling more alive. The sea foam blue color against the yellowed stone looked stunning. 

woman standing in front of the trevi fountain

Oceanus, Greek sea God and uncle of Poseidon, is depicted in the center in a baroque-style sculpture

Second, I visited the Pantheon. That was brief. I thought the towers looked cool and partly wished I had more time, but I knew I had to move on with my night to meet a friend before joining a group dinner. 

woman standing in front of the Pantheon

looks just like the Jefferson Memorial <3

Third, I met up with MIT Concourse.09 In my freshman year, I was a part of this freshman learning community centered around blending STEM and humanities through philosophical discussion. Last year for IAP, we went to Greece together to study Greek history and philosophy. This year, they went to Rome, and I joined in for their final dinner. Different continent, same people: ingredients for a wonderful dinner discussion.

a group of 18 people having dinner together

4 people around me, including myself, got the exact same dish: a yummy carbonara

January 19th: Rome → Florence [Kano]

Alright, Rome Day 2! Roman breakfast was light and cute, a perfect accompaniment to people-watching from the hotel window.

a plate of breakfast with a window side view

this apple was scrumptious

First, I did the most quintessential tourist-in-Rome thing and visited the Colosseum. I kept imagining what it would’ve been like to witness shows and fights from the audience. This was their “television,” where they, too, tuned into different shows and let their minds be entertained. 

Unbeknownst to me until the night prior, the Colosseum ticket also granted access to two other places. Next, I headed to Palatine Hill, the mythical founding place of Rome and The Roman Forum, where citizens used to carry out day-to-day shopping and officials would hold public affairs (law courts, public meetings, gladiatorial combats, etc).

Originally, I was going to head directly to Milan to meet Gosha and Selena, but decided to leave a day early from Rome to spend a night in Florence. It was on the way, anyways. Late into the night, after arriving in Florence, I grabbed my first Italian pizza, accompanied with a beer and viewing of football. I ended my night at a hostel, which had the most mirrors and the biggest bathtub I’d seen of the whole trip. I was so surprised to find this in the corner of the hostel. That night, my hostel mates and I sat in a small circle of five on the wooden floor, where we shared hostel pointers and fragments of our travel stories. It felt like a kind community—I slept well that night.

January 20th: Florence → Milan [Kano]

Florence quietly tapped me awake with its quaint sounds and soft light. By morning, I still couldn’t believe that I was in the birthplace of the Renaissance. Like, what? I wanted to see the city wholly, or at least get as close to that goal as I could, so I set three goals for that day: cross a cool bridge, stare at a cathedral, and explore any museum. One of my friends had been to Florence before, so I referred to the travel spreadsheet that she had sent me and a few Google searches to inform my own itinerary.

I started my morning with mushroom ragu and a glass of rose. At that waterside restaurant, I was the first customer of the day and had the place to myself—sweet quietness. American love songs played as I ate and looked through the window to watch the calm flow of the river. As much as I love dining with others, there is something special about my solo meals. Because my mind can focus more on the dining experience in-and-of-itself rather than whoever I may be eating with, every sensory experience is more intense: the flavors stronger, smells sharper, and sights more charming. 

pasta and a glass of wine

an excellent wine/pasta pairing

It was easy to wander and marvel at the ornate architecture and impressive collection of statues. I spent most of my time around Loggia dei Lanzi, a 14th-century building that’s home to a ceremonial open-air gallery of Renaissance sculptures. Every other corner had something absolutely stunning to look at that it felt like I didn’t even have to actively find a museum because the entire city was one. Walking through a narrow alley, I eventually stumbled upon a traditional stationary store. I bought wax seals and cards, because I enjoy mailing notes to my friends and the store offered wonderful designs. Something is so cute about spending a few extra minutes to close off an envelope with a wax emblem.

Next, I had to cross the Ponte Vecchio (the coolest bridge in Florence)—I just had to. Local shops, food vendors, and people lined the entirety of it. It was a peculiar site: the bridge acted less like a liminal space and more like a place brimming with life. Around here, for the first and last time of my Europe trip, I bumped into a hostel mate. It made sense, as we were both tourists exploring the city, but there was nonetheless a serendipity in that moment. We shared our itineraries for the evening and moved on. 

bridge crossing a body of water

the light posts had interesting feet

I got lost finding the Cathedral of Santa Maria del Fiore, so when I did end up finding it, the view of it hit me like whiplash. It was absolutely insane. None of my photos do it justice. It grips your gaze from afar and pulls you closer. Every time I looked at it, it appeared different. From my first gaze, it was a monolithically beautiful sight. As I took a few steps closer, it became an epic of many tales. In total and utter awe of the cathedral, I realized that I had never experienced this type of aesthetic allure before. Every time I tried to leave, I couldn’t help but turn back.

That was the last stop of my Florence excursion. I headed back to my hostel, grabbed my bags, and took a train out to Milan to finally meet Gosha.

January 20th: Boston → Milan [Gosha]

Every time I go to Europe it feels like a revelation. I can’t pinpoint the exact reason, either. I think a big part of it is just urbanism – the places I like to go in Europe are large, dense cities with diverse and often beautiful architecture, which just happen to be my favorite type of place. I feel most at ease in a big city where I can get lost in the crowd, where no one pays me any attention but I can people-watch at my own leisure. I love public transport and seeing how its designed in every new city I visit. There aren’t that many places in the US that fit this bill. But it’s more than just the city structure. Something about being anywhere in Europe feels familiar and right; I suspect it has to do with being raised in a European culture, albeit one quite different from Italy or Spain or any of the other places I’ve traveled to recently. Or it could all be a sample bias of being on break from college, the freedom of travel, etc. My bet is on all of the above.

selfie of person in a train with hiking backpack

I thought I looked a little cool taking the T to the airport with my big backpack

This is all to say that when I stepped out of the Milan airport, I was in an incredibly good mood. I had flown in on a red-eye flight, meaning I had the whole day ahead of me, which only lifted my spirits. Kano’s train to Milan was originally supposed to come in only a couple of hours after my flight. However, after a series of misfortunes, her arrival was delayed to sometime in the evening, so I ended up spending the day alone wandering around the city.

I love wandering cities alone. It’s grounding, in a counterintuitive sort of way. Faced with the rush of things and people, I am reminded of the reality of my existence. It’s too easy for me to get caught up in my studies, my research, whatever drama is going on in my life. But stepping out onto a bustling street, forcing myself to walk with my thoughts… it gives me perspective. So that’s exactly what I did: I walked around and I thought about my life. It was lovely and very necessary. One of the researchers in my UROP group is from Milan, and he gave me a ton of recommendations before I left Boston. Following his descriptions of the character of different neighborhoods, I walked around, admiring the architecture and observing the people. I had never been to Italy before, and for some reason wasn’t fully convinced that it’s as… Italian as it’s made out to be. Turns out, yes, Italy is in fact very Italian.10 no, I can’t explain this feeling better. iykyk, i guess I fumbled through buying coffee and learned how to say basic things in Italian, like “please” and “thank you”. I saw the Duomo illuminated bright orange at golden hour. I talked to an old man on a bus in French, for some reason. At twilight, I bought some hot wine from a street vendor and sat on a bench outside of the natural history museum and watched the day fade.

Much later in the evening, when Kano finally made it to the hostel, we went out for a late dinner. Being the college students that we are, we sought out the cheapest and closest option we could find. This turned out to be an incredible cafe with the cheapest,11 just 8 euros for a big portion!! most delicious pasta I have ever tasted. I’m not usually big on Italian food, but I ended up coming back to this cafe a couple of times in the course of our weekend in Milan.

January 21st: Milan → Venice → Milan [Kano]

As a 7-hour round trip commute, Venice was so out of the way, but it was Venice, so we had to go. Accordingly, we dedicated a full day to visit. Isaac L. ‘25, one of my other friends that I had convinced to do GTL, met up with Gosha and I in Milan before we embarked on this trip together. The three of us took a lovely train over land and water to reach our destination: Venice, an island city constructed on a group of 118 small islands that are partitioned by canals and linked by over 400 bridges. It sounds straight out of a fiction novel. As someone from Las Vegas, I kept exclaiming “wow, this is so much better than the Vegas version!”12 <a href="https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Venetian_Las_Vegas" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer">The Venetian Resort</a>

First things first: food. Gosha led the way to lunch. On the way, we stumbled upon this one honor-code shop. There were no store clerks, only items strewn across the windowsills and a box on the ground for payment. It was endearing: battered books, yellowed postcards, and miscellaneous trinkets. The three of us made our selections, tossed in our coins, and proceeded to lunch. We decided to pair our seafood-filled meal with two glasses of aperol spritz, partly because it’s an excellent drink but mostly because it originated in Padua, only a 30 min train ride from Venice. Things taste better closer to home. One of our table centerpieces was a mystery plant, and, because our group couldn’t figure out what it was, I decided to take a bite. This was the start of the end—I’ll come back to this point in a bit. 

After our delicious meal, we headed to Basilica S.Maria Gloriosa dei Frari, the largest church in Venice. On the way, we walked in awe of the still, teal canals and adorable architecture. It was all so strange to see no cars, only boats. We stumbled upon a set of stairs that led down to the Venetian waters, and I dipped my hands in. We eventually made it to the church. This was, perhaps, the most grand religious building I saw in Italy. The red was so deep, gold so shimmery, and stone so bare. Inside, goth was clearly kept alive with a wide array of pieces honoring that culture. Partaking in Catholic culture, I paid a euro to light a candle for my grandmother.

Afterwards, we waited in line to enter ​​Saint Mark’s Basilica. At this point, I started to feel a bit funny. My mind span and stomach churned. I felt a physical pain emanate throughout my body that I had never experienced before. I told Gosha and Isaac that I “wanted to be horizontal” and swiftly headed to the nearest bench. I laid flat and felt marginally better. When Gosha and Isaac were told the cathedral line had already closed, they walked over to my decimated self and asked if I was okay. I wasn’t. Lifting my head made me nauseous and walking was very difficult. In an effort to get to our train station ASAP, we decided to take the ferry over instead of getting there by foot. 

a white cathedral with ornate decoration

the cathedral that we didn’t get to enter, but at least admired from the outside

the incident: vomiting in venice (not vital to the story, but hilarious)

The night sharply turned grim aboard the ferry. It was packed: a middle aged woman to my right, elderly Italian couple in front of me, and Isaac to my left. The tossing and turning of the boat made my head spin. I told Isaac “I don’t want to throw up,” as if to set a comically bad prophecy for what came next. Remember the meal that I had mentioned was the start of the end? Here’s the end: in one swift movement, just seconds later, I grabbed the tapestry that I had bought out of its paper bag, chucked it at Isaac, felt a ~whoosh~ in my tummy, and violently projectile-vomited directly into the now-emptied gift bag. Multiple times. So many abdominal contractions. (Isaac wanted me to add that this undersells how intensely my body was moving. It was like every fiber of my being was being contracted, head to toe.) Think: Total Drama Island throw up. I felt so bad for myself, but mostly for the other ferry goers. Their stares of pity fell onto me. And, my gosh, of course the paper of the bag eventually ripped and the bag of vomit just had to sit under my seat in a sad blob. There was no public trash can aboard, so we all sat in awkward tension. That was the longest ferry ride of my life. 

Upon arriving at the train station, Gosha and Isaac searched for our train while I went to use the restroom. I thought that my sickness was over, but I felt a rumbling rise in me once again. 20 minutes passed. At that point, Gosha and Isaac called to check on me, inform me that our train would arrive in 4 minutes, and ask if I could make it. I told them that I was throwing up again, knees down on the restroom floor and elbows on the seat. I need not bore nor disgust you further with the details. Mustering up all the physical willpower I had left, I said yes to boarding the next train, cleaned up, and headed out. 

We sat in the very back row, with me in front of this one dude, Isaac facing the aisle, and Gosha sitting in front of someone else. A few minutes passed, and I felt that I was in the clear. Peace at last. But, I was wrong. I was, once again, going through the motions and promptly gestured to Isaac to help find a bag. In panic, he handed me a plastic one. The man sitting in front of me looked forward with such horror in his eyes; I felt sorry for him. This was the third, and thankfully final, time.

After an hour, I reached a stable state and asked around for a napkin. A sweet man frantically searched his bag and kindly gave me his dense pack of tissues. I freshened up, took a deep breath, and was finally able to nap. A few hours later, we made it to our hostel in Milan and rested. I spent the next few days eating “safe” foods so as to not upset my stomach. It felt so silly walking into a grocery store, ripping a single banana from its cluster, and buying it. What had to be done was done. 

After a few more days, I felt I was back at normal digestion and finally moved on with my life. I was still surprised that this whole ordeal occurred because up until that point, I had never had food poisoning before. I’ve always had a strong stomach, I think largely due to the conditioning of my volatile Thai diet. That was the second worst physical pain I had experienced in my entire life, and I was just glad it was over. That incident was one for the books (or, I guess, a blog).

January 22nd: Milan → Barcelona [Gosha]

On the afternoon of our last day in Milan, our group split up. As Kano went to search for a dress for ring delivery,13 a big fancy event where the sophomores receive their class ring, called a brass rat I decided to visit the Ambrosian library, one of Milan’s several collections of Renaissance art and artifacts. The museum was founded in the 17th centuries, and holds a number of works by famous Renaissance masters, as well as the world’s largest collection of original Da Vinci sketches. It was mostly the latter that interested me. I’m not usually very interested in art from periods earlier than the 19th century–I tend to find it a bit tedious, both for the subjects and the style of painting. This time, however, something had changed14 if we’re being honest, I think I just grew up and my taste evolved in me. I walked through the museum completely in awe. Suddenly, Renaissance art was the most beautiful thing I had ever seen: the colors, the subjects, everything about it. The building of the library was also incredible, full of intricate tiling, stone floors, mosaics, and a cozy garden. The Da Vinci sketches were housed in a huge library room, walls filled floor-to-two-story-ceiling with old books. The entire experience was something close to life-changing. I also think I had forgotten just how much I love art and going to museums, since it’s not something I have a lot of time to engage with while at MIT. After my experience in Milan, though, I made sure to go to museums in as many of our other destinations as possible.

That same evening, we had to catch a bus to Barcelona. This is quickly becoming one of my favorite travel “hacks”: instead of wasting a day traveling, I take a night bus from point A to point B. That way, I sleep on the bus, so no need to pay for a night at a hostel. Plus, it’s cheaper than a flight or a train, and takes longer, which is good if you’re trying to get a full night’s sleep.15 not that you will get it, since sleeping on a bus is ultimately not that comfortable

interior of a dark bus with some green lighting

interesting aesthetic in the night bus

Our bus left Milan at around 8 pm and got into Barcelona the next morning. Busses feel very down-to-Earth, as far as modes of long-distance travel go. I guess this is true literally, since busses are relatively slow. But I mean it metaphorically, also: because they are slow, it feels like you actually pass through the places you drive past. Every couple of hours or so I would wake up from my (admittedly not super comfortable) sleep, check Google maps, and appreciate the progress we had made–first out of Italy and through the Alps, then past Grenoble and further on, across the south of France. Thus, although it was night, and I only exited the bus at some truckers’ rest stop, I really do feel like I was in those places, if only in passing. At some point towards the morning, I woke up from my latest round of sleep and was startled by both the fact that it was light outside and that right outside of my window was a huge mountain, lit in soft pinkish tones by the sunrise. Waking up to that after a long night of fitful sleep, being surrounded by beautiful scenery and just hearing the silence of the morning was almost a spiritual experience. I genuinely cannot find the words to describe it. I refused to go back to sleep after that, so I just spent the rest of the bus ride watching the sun climb up over the Pyrenees.

photo of mountains seen from a road

I woke up to this!

Final Words [Kano]

That concludes the Italy leg of our trip. We hit four cities, each with their own charm: Rome felt ancient, Florence felt romantic, Venice felt cozy, and Milan felt grand. None of these adjectives do each of the places justice, but they together help paint a fuller picture of Italy. Stay tuned for part 2: Spain and France!

1. dormspam refers to emails sent out to the entire MIT undergrad population, which usually amount to advertisements of events and programs and people trying to sell clothing back to text
  2. MISTI (MIT International Science and Technology Initiatives) runs global travel experiences for MIT. GTL (Global Teaching Labs) is the specific program that I was going to be a part of in Italy back to text
  3. Student Support Services back to text
  4. Amber, a fellow blogger, has also blogged about this, linked here. back to text
  5. Madrid, anyone? back to text
  6. an MIT literature class taught in Spain every IAP back to text
  7. and, spontaneously, Venice, but we’ll get to that back to text
  8. all-in-one notetaking and productivity platform back to text
  9. In my freshman year, I was a part of this freshman learning community centered around blending STEM and humanities through philosophical discussion. back to text
  10. no, I can’t explain this feeling better. iykyk, i guess back to text
  11. just 8 euros for a big portion!! back to text
  12. The Venetian Resort back to text
  13. a big fancy event where the sophomores receive their class ring, called a brass rat back to text
  14. if we’re being honest, I think I just grew up and my taste evolved back to text
  15. not that you will get it, since sleeping on a bus is ultimately not that comfortable back to text