Letters from the 2023 decisions threads by Chris Peterson SM '13

Every year, for as long as the blogs have been around, we post open threads for applicants to celebrate or commiserate about this decisions. Since we’ve been doing this for so long, we sometimes now get comments from people who were not admitted on Pi Days past sharing their own journey in the time since. I wanted to blog some wise words shared by prior applicants with those who aspired to join the Class of 2027, and to add to our ongoing record of what happens after you don’t get into MIT. 

From @Wox, in the waitlisted thread:

For all those waitlisted, here is some thoughts from the other side of the veil:
I applied EA to MIT a few years ago, got deferred, then waitlisted. When the regular decision came out I remember feeling dreadful that I would have to wait another 2 months, and treated it as a rejection with prolonged pain. What I didn’t know is that those 2 months allowed me to discard a single vision of my future and evaluate what it was I wanted out of college, taught me to be able to see myself elsewhere, and when my MIT waitlist decision came back, it felt more on equal standing.

When receiving your MIT decision today, it might have seemed as though you were waiting to see whether MIT would give you a chance. It felt as though there was everything to lose, all the work you put in, the years, the sleepless nights.

Seek joy in your other opportunities, I promise this decision is not going to be as painful for as long as you think. It was freeing, in a way, to be able to seek new dreams, create new hopes; MIT had been my dream for so long. I felt like a new version of myself, less tied to what my long term plan was, and more open to the possibilities. New cities, new paths unfolded, and MIT was out of the picture. It allowed me to more fully understand myself, outside of the image I had painted in my head. Your 20 year plan? scrap it. It won’t help you.

In late May, part way through a drive home from one of my last days of high school, I unceremoniously opened my waitlist decision on my cellphone in the Dunkin’ Donuts parking lot; just opening it to have it done, with my car keys brightly decorated with a keychain from the college I chose to commit to in the cup holder next to me. At last, I was able to open a decision on equal terms, the institute and myself, with nothing to lose.

Your waitlist decision gives you exactly that: the opportunity to be on equal terms with MIT with the full peaceful acknowledgement that you have nothing to lose. That’s not something you get when you get admitted RD, nor EA.

This institution is not a destination, it is a beginning. Your beginning, given that you made it even here, is shimmering brightly.

From @Inspirational, in the not admitted thread:

Hey all, I want to spread some positivity tonight. Four years ago I was in your shoes: MIT was my dream school and I knew I was the perfect fit for it. Unfortunately, I got the news on Pi Day 2019. I cried my eyes out for a week, and was stuck with an unsupportive friend group at the time who was happy to see the overachiever finally not succeed. Looking back, I was not really ready for MIT.

I ended up going to my last choice college (that one of my friends even trashed on) and was originally devastated. However I said I could reapply to MIT for transfer or grad school. After my first semester at my college, I had such an amazing time I could not have seen myself anywhere else. I soon forgot about my sorrows because of how much I loved my school! I promise you, if you are amazing enough to want to go to MIT, you will thrive anywhere you go as long as you take up opportunities and have an open mind. I am so glad to reflect on how I was able to grow as a person (and only keep healthy friendships) during college, regardless of where it was.

I got reminded to go on this page because I found a video of my decision reaction in my memories, and remember looking on this blog for solace. It made me less sad seeing everyone share their feelings. Ultimately, I decided not to choose MIT for grad school (haha see what I did there) because it was not the right fit for me. I got accepted into every grad school I applied to so far and they are the top schools in the US, something I would have never imagined with all of my “not accepted” letters four years ago. Sending all of the best to you in the same position that I was in. I hope this can help provide some solace to you on this day. I know it can’t cure your sadness right now, but please remember it when you do amazing things wherever you go :) Lots of love and light and of course MIT will always have a special place in my heart <3

From @Allison!, in the not admitted thread:

Two years ago today, I, too, became an MIT reject. I was disappointed and unsure of where my undergraduate journey would lead.

The rejection was the best possible outcome. I am thriving at my state school (Purdue!!) and have found a community of bright, talented, like-minded friends and colleagues that have transformed my life. Had many of my Biology and Chemistry friends not been rejected from MIT like me, it’s unlikely that we would meet.

Before attending Purdue, I was unsure I would ever meet a group of openly nerdy, lovely, like-minded peers at any point in my life. Passionate people are everywhere, not just at MIT.

While it is normal to be disappointed, do NOT let that disappointment detour your first steps of leading into a new path for educational pursuits.

You applied to MIT.
You knew that dream was bold, and you knew there was a chance you would not get in.

But with that attempt, you were vulnerable and had the opportunity to learn about yourself. Within that attempt, there was ambition and passion. Wherever you end up in the future, do not let that ambition and passion fade.

Chin up- so many opportunities lie ahead! You have no idea what gifts college brings if you are not open to other options.

Allison (Biology|Secondary Ed|Chemistry|Wildlife Sciences Student) Purdue 2025 :)

I think the community we build here on the blogs, especially among those who don’t attend MIT (at least at first) but come back here to comfort others, is really special, and I want to thank wox, Inspirational, and Allison! for sharing their stories with us. I hope others not admitted to the Class of 2027 find their paths soon too, and feel free to come back and share those stories (in the comments or via email to me) anytime.