Please note!

Visitors coming to the Welcome Center should plan accordingly and leave extra time to get to campus due to local road closures.

MIT blogger Kidist A. '22

my room by Kidist A. '22

an evolution

I had a vision. Every year, my room would have a different aesthetic. Was this followed to a T? No,01 thank you covid  but I present to you the brief evolution of my dorm room.   

Freshman year, I lived in a double in New House. My side was colored yellow and orange with my sunflower tapestry and comforter. I also bought a blue carpet to match with my roommate, which in hindsight was not the best choice because the colors made no sense together and she moved out after a semester lol. Still, that blue carpet served a critical purpose in the nook under my bed. I spent at least a third of my nights sleeping on it instead of my bed. 

I have scoured thousands of my pictures trying to find a good room picture only to be empty-handed. Here are bits and pieces, however. 

Sophomore year, I reclaimed pink as my favorite color with green as its fitting complement. I leveled up in many ways. I got throw pillows and silk pillowcases. My tapestry matched the decoration vines and pillows. I made hanging flower arrangements and put up vines all around my room. I bought a lamp to replace the hospital-like lighting that came with the room. I used my old comforter as cushioning under my pink carpet, so I spent even more time in my nook. Everything was perfect until it wasn’t. By mid-march, my room was packed away in a storage pod until the spring of my junior year.

this is my room:). The left image is a picture of my bed and tapestry, the middle is a picture of the setup under my bed, and the last image is a picture of the fake plants I hung up

COVID made everything uncertain, so I wasn’t sure if I’d even be on campus junior year so I didn’t bother coming up with a new theme. I didn’t even bother doing the full sophomore year setup. I put up the hanging flowers, vines, and tapestry and that was it. Students weren’t allowed to use the kitchen, so I had to keep all my kitchen supplies in my room. The huge green box would only fit under my bed which meant I could no longer have my nook. I didn’t want to set up something that I’d have to unpack in just four months. Instead, I focused my energy on making my room beautiful my senior year. 

And that I did. This edition addressed the little inefficiencies in my last rooms. I realized that I sit on my bed often and lean against the wall, so having a tapestry that constantly falls off wasn’t great. I matured from tapestries and moved to posters. My pillows kept sliding into the gap between the bed and the wall, so I got a long pillow that acts like my headboard. I got a new lamp. I bought a full-size mirror because I am the main character. I got curtains that block as much of the sneaky sunlight, unlike the blinds that came with the room. I was planning on framing artworks because my room felt a little bare and had already worked with my TA from a design class I took to get them printed. But given that there’s only a semester left, I’m not sure if I want to go through the hassle of getting frames. The only other downside to my room is that I couldn’t squeeze in a nook. Still, keeping the drawer and shelf under my bed opens up my room more so it’s not a total loss. 

Picking the colors was such a hard choice. Sometime in 2020 I fell in love with green and knew I wanted to use it in my next room. However, I thought it would be too close to my last room with the pink and green. I stuck with green anyways because the furniture is all brown, and green and brown is such a compelling combination. My room feels calm and grounded. Stable and peaceful. Everything I want for my fourth year and beyond.   

1. " thank you covid back to text