COVID-19

Learn more about how MIT Admissions is responding to COVID-19 in this blog post from our Dean and new dedicated FAQs.

MIT blogger Cami M. '23

Random’s 13th by Cami M. '23

happy birthday random hall!

As many of you know, Random Hall has come to represent much more than a dorm to me — it’s a living space that houses some of my most favorite memories, events, and people, and it’s an integral part of my MIT experience.

This past Saturday, February 29th, I experienced something that I will not be able to experience ever again in my undergraduate life here at MIT: Random Hall’s birthday.

Random Hall was officially dedicated on February 29th, 196801 A shame. One year away from a truly glorious date. . Random Hall also has a tradition of performing a birthday dirge, as opposed to a birthday song, where we stomp and clap rather obnoxiously to celebrate one year closer to death.

Every four years, when it’s Random’s birthday, the entire dorm goes on a great excursion to Lobby 7, stands in a circle, and performs the birthday dirge.

I was actually in the middle of giving a tour of Random to a friend when I realized the dirge was happening, so I took her to come dirge with us. It was a really wholesome time and it made me really proud to be a part of the dorm!

This year, since Random turned 13, Ilani, a resident of the dorm, helped organize an official B’ Mitzvah for the dorm.

Enjoy some photos from the day:

1. A shame. One year away from a truly glorious date. back to text