Skip to content ↓

What if I don’t have a school counselor?

Many international applicants don’t have a school counselor. The school counselor letter is not a required part of the MIT application; it’s only for those who have a school counselor. A principal, headmaster, or school official at your school may submit your high school transcript without a letter.

The Secondary School Report Form is designed for U.S. school systems but may be adapted for different international school use. Because school systems vary outside of the U.S. and many international schools do not calculate GPA or class rank, it’s okay for your counselor/principal to leave spaces blank on the form. Please ask your counselor/principal to upload your official transcript (with three years of subject grades if available). We also accept the high school transcript alone to complete the Secondary School Report/Transcript requirement.

We request that you submit the results of any external examinations, such as International Baccalaureate, A-Levels, French Baccalaureate, or CBSE, which are required for entrance to universities in your country. We understand that many grades are not available until after decisions are made and ask that predicted grades be sent when ready. Final grades are only required for admitted students.

You may fax materials to 617.687.9184

or mail to:

Massachusetts Institute of Technology
Office of Undergraduate Admissions
77 Massachusetts Avenue, Room E38-200
Cambridge, MA 02139

Did you find this article helpful?