For My Fellow Coffee Lovers by Ben Jones

Out 3 choices will soon be 4.

The Tech announced yesterday that Anna’s Taqueria will be getting a new neighbor this summer – a 24-hour Dunkin’ Donuts, right in the student center.

YES!!!!!

This may surpass even my excitement for the coming of Anna’s. Let’s face it, you can’t eat burritos every day, but DD coffee – yep, I think I could make that a daily event, especially in the summer – because nothing beats DD iced coffee.

Prediction: this thread is going to turn into (first) a debate about whether or not DD’s coffee is palatable (people seem to have strong opinions on both sides of this argument) and (second) a debate about who makes the best coffee in general.

Edmund, Nance and I rarely miss our daily morning coffee run. Our convenient options are Peet’s at Bosworth’s, Starbucks at Steam, and Green Mountain at the Building 4 Cafe (and soon DD). We seem to rotate between them, but DD could change that for me.

See you guys later, writing this entry made me need coffee.

33 responses to “For My Fellow Coffee Lovers”

1. Evan says:

I go to Starbucks all the time, personally, but not really for the coffee. I only go for the drinks laced with sugar – it’s one of the most enjoyable ways to injest caffeine.

So if it has any less sugar content then the caramel macchiato, I don’t get it. And usually I go straight for the frappuccinos. Mmm….frappuccinos…

2. Where is the Dunkin’ Donuts going? What will it replace?

–Quentin

3. I am SOOOOOO envious! The closest Dunkin’ Donuts to where we live in CA is in… Phoenix, AZ. I live for my visits to the east coast where I can actually drink that luscious elixir (that means that I love their coffee grin, and have an occasional heavenly donut. Lucky stiffs!

4. Saad Zaheer says:

thats great news for people who live on coffee like me.. a Dunkin Donuts in the student center.. excellent.

5. Mom08 says:

I don’t drink coffee but I worked at a Dunkin Donuts in high school. We got to eat all we wanted and I must say that the chocolate cake donuts, fresh out of the fryer, is the best food in the world. I don’t like them cold, but hot . . . yum.

6. Juan Valdez says:

OK, DD is OK if there is nothing else available but for the best ya gotta have Green Mountain French Roast. The donuts are great though.

7. Masha says:

For me, Starbucks is definetely the favorite – but I definetely wont be upset over the DD smile.

I cant imagine how MIT students survived without such a coffee location before… I know I couldnt.

OH MY GOD.

I get a medium chocolate iced coffee with cream and sugar from dunkin donuts EVERY SINGLE DAY.

It’s the best thing of my life.

9. I have a similar situation to leftcoastmom’s, in that there is no Dunkin’ Donuts in Wisconsin, or at least of which I am aware (imagine my surprise upon entering the Boston area last summer). However, this is perfectly fine with me, as I have no particular love for coffee, tea, or any other form of caffeine-based stimulation, and thus, no opinion as to the flavor of said beverage.

Quentin: Dunkin Donuts will replace Alpine Bagel on the west side of the student center. Cambridge Grill and pizza will not be going anywhere.

As for me, I absolutely hate coffee. What has me all excited for Dunkin Donuts is in fact right in the name: doughnuts. This will definitely improve my quality of life. =)

11. Fadl says:

That’s Great!! Personally I’m thrilled that DD opened mainly cuz of their Chocolate Donuts. I prefer Starbuck’s coffee to DD’s especially frappuccinos but nobody beets DD Donuts!!! Three cheers for DD!!!!!!!

PS: In my life I have never disliked anything with chocolate smile (just a fun fact)

12. Catherine says:

Hehehe, coffee. =D

13. Shannon says:

Even though I’m really not huge on coffee, if I happen to be (a) around a Starbucks and (b) am feeling exceedingly rich, I simply can’t pass up a Tall Carmel Light Frapuccino.

14. Mrs. Olsen says:

There is therapy available for all of you! A Twelve Step Program has been developed for coffee addicts! It involves never being more than twelve steps away from a great cup of coffee! grin

15. Nabeel says:

That’s great for MIT! I’m not really much into coffee myself but I really believe DD makes the best donuts in the world! I just love em!

16. Nabeel says:

P.S. Boston Kreme’s undoubtedly the best donut in the world.

17. Personally, being a Texan, I’d like to challenge the statement “Let’s face it, you can’t eat burritos every day” but thats just me…

18. Aww, man :(

Coffee may be good, but the article I read said that Dunkin Donuts is replacing Alpine Bagels! We’re replacing something reasonably healthy with something that’s… not. At all. Which brings the palatable healthy eats in the student center to… Anna’s?! In the sense that it’s not as bad as pizza or burgers, anyway.

19. Dinyar says:

I might be a conservative on this matter, but a plain espresso or sometimes (for breakfast) a cappuchino just beat anything. wink

turkish coffee is also great though, now that I think of it..

20. Caroline says:

*gasp* <3 Dunkin’s!!!!!!!

Seriously, I love it. I live in NH, which, other than Boston, is like, the motherlode of Dunkin Donuts. We have 7 of them in a 10 mile stretch of highway.

Yay for coffee. And donuts. and bagels. And muffins. And those breakfast sandwiches. smile

21. Mrs. Olsen says:

Amen, Eric! At least Starbucks has organic milk.

22. But Starbucks tastes as if someone put out a cigarette in what used to be a cup of coffee. (Oh, it probably matters that I never put anything, liquid or solid, into my coffee to spoil its pristine wonderfulness.)

BTW, bagels aren’t really healthy either. If they were roughly half their current standard size, and made of whole grains, and served without cream cheese etc., they’d be acceptable occasionally. Which is about how often one ought to have a Dunkin Donut.

23. kallie says:

Noooooooooooooooo!!! They *can’t* get rid of Alpine…

*imagines yummy hummus bagel*

Mmmm…

24. Ahh some people and their coffee…inseperable :D hehehe..heck I’m happy that I’m not addicted to coffee..i’ve actually made a point not to drink it because I heard it kinda stunts growth if you drink a lot of it…but frappacinos are amazing, especially in those 50 degree celsius summers in Kuwait!

Whaaaaaaaaaaaaaaat!!!! You’re replacing Alpine :( awwwww!! I liked that guy who actually pronounced my name right :( Alpine has great food, especially those bagels good for morning eating. But hey, Donuts are great too :D (devilish chocoholic)

Oh and Leftcoastmom are you KIDDING me!! You’re sad that you don’t have dunkin donuts when you have KRISPY KREMES!! Oh My God those are the best donuts in the world!!! especially in the early morning when they’re fresh!! smile

Hey Ben, looks like your prediction came true ;P Bring up food and people will start up a storm ;P

Take care everyone, and good luck with those applications *yayy finally all my materials have arrived*

Abdulaziz (Aziz) Albahar

25. JPfrommer says:

What about the “other” famous Boston food?

… Boston Beans would have been a beautiful snack. *sing*

They got Cambridge and Harvard and .. MIT – they didn’t have any beans for me.

PS: Peggy Lee is still awesome. Does anybody of you know that song? In Germany, it is pretty famous. At least amongst those who aren’t too cool to listen/play Swing/Jazz.

26. Abdulaziz, Krispy Kremes are horrible, IMHO. Flat, too sweet, boring, pallid in comparison to Dunkin Donuts. KK is to doughnuts as MacDonald’s is to actual hamburgers: a lesser imitation. DD gets it right. Just right.

What can I say, I’m just a transplanted east coast girl, I guess. smile

27. Fadl says:

I have a question. Doesn’t DD offer bagels because I remember buying some a looong time ago? Even though I like donuts more than bagels I must admit that I think that eating donuts in the morning is crazy. BTW can some1 tell me what students at MIT normally eat??

Just wondering…

PS: Even though I don’t like healthy food I have to admit that people nowadays are just eating way too much junk food. smile

28. Johnny B says:

By me the best coffee is by far the Starbucks. The two local Dunkin Donut shops offer coffee that is lousy on the good days, and it is never a good day. However Starbucks does not offer choclate glazed cake donuts to go with my 4 Shot Grande Americano to which I add a little cream some sugar and some chocolate powder. So on days when the call for coffee and donut is more powerful than my need to hold on to the few beat up dollars my wallet ever holds. I leave early and go to both the Dunkin Donuts and the Starbucks gladly paying the premium for the better tasting more caffeinated Starbucks coffee.

Ps If you put the first initials of each name together you get DDS, the degree for a dentist. Humorous and ironic but perhaps not hilarious

29. Masha says:

I second the Krispy Kreme = amazing cause. DD tastes horribly fake.

And also, can I just say how much I am enjoying the argument over coffee choice, coffee addiction, donut choice, and “healthy foods”? Hehe.

Lastly, I am madly in love with Anna’s, and if it doesnt stay at the student center, I will cry. A lot.

30. Sarah says:

Frankly, while I would consider myself a bit of a coffee connoisseur (and DD usually does not suffice here), there exists a much greater reason to celebrate than we have thus observed.

That is, 24 hours is the greatest thing ever. Just wait until you get here, and you’ll see. Coffee at 2am is EXACTLY what I wanted two nights ago when I had to do two p-sets.

wow. 24 hours. Anytime. Wow. Yes, I am excited. Takin’ advantage of that.

31. Claire says:

I’m not a big fan of DD’s coffee. It’s decent, and it’s better than some other places, but it doesn’t hold a candle to Starbucks. However, my family takes our coffee pot on vacation with us, so perhaps I’m a bit spoiled, coffee-wise. If you’re in Buffalo, Cafe Aroma has the best coffee, for the record.

32. jpsi says:

I am just waiting for the real on-the-go food:

drinkable mix of all microelements and nutrients for whole day…