Chris Peterson SM '13

Mar 4, 2011

Hot Crosswalk Buns

Posted in: Life & Culture

It's beginning to warm up here - still in the 20s, but sunny and nice - so during a break in committee I took the opportunity to cross the Mass Ave Bridge into Boston. I planned to run a quick errand on Newbury St to Niketown, to ask the resident experts what kind of cleats I should get for the upcoming ultimate frisbee / pickup football season.*

On my way back, however, I ended up on the opposite side of Mass Ave from my building, and so had to cross it.

Now I cross this road every day (mostly to get burritos from Anna's). But as I like to say in my info sessions, sometimes there's just unstructured tomfoolery occurring on MIT's campus. And today was one of those days.

When the light turned red, a few gentlemen began racing out into the crosswalk, pushing a flimsy cart and holding an enormous cardboard sign.

They were handing out free hot (cross) walk buns to any student walking through the crosswalk. As the beeps counted down to 0, they sprinted back to the sidewalk, waited for traffic to stop again, and ran back out into the middle of the road, plying passerby with the delicious, delicious pastries.

I've posted before about free food at MIT, which is a big part of the culture here. But I've been cloistered like the world's most shabbily dressed monk for so long reading applications that this is my first free food in...well, long enough that I was sad.

But no more. For today I have free food. And there is much rejoicing.

* I was looking hard at the Nike Zoom Vapor Fly, but decided against it; not only is it insanely expensive (although also insanely shiny) but after talking to the folks at Niketown it sounds like they're so low-cut that even the pros at the very least heavily tape their ankles before wearing them. So not the best recipe for someone with terrible knees and ankles like me. I'm presently leaning towards the well-supported (literally and figuratively) Super Speed 3/4th, which is apparently Adrian Peterson's cleat of choice. While ADAP is clearly an inferior athlete when compared to me, I think I might condescend to these. If you have other strongly held opinions on what kind of cleats I should get, comment below or forever hold your peace.

yummmmmmmmmm!!!!!!!!!!

Posted by: pearl on March 4, 2011

You are such a character. Your posts are a blast.

Posted by: watusi on March 4, 2011

I heard the commotion when I was walking the other way down Mass Ave. after class, but didn't realize what it was all about.

Posted by: Becca H. '12 on March 4, 2011

@chris The pastry is looking yummmyyyyyyy.Go get some more and e-pastry it to me also..Have a good day..Tc

Posted by: Bhaskar on March 4, 2011

That looks sooooooo good.

Posted by: Alex on March 4, 2011

Gotta love those Alpha Delts!

Posted by: Mark on March 4, 2011

Free food is always a plus. Those pastries look delicious!

Posted by: Austin on March 4, 2011

@Chris :

Wow , that's one heck of a fun thing those guys are doing XD

By the way Chris, I'm sorry for the out of topic question, but I read somewhere that the first step in admissions is that a senior admissions officer decides if an application is academically qualified or not, and only then passes it on for reading....so like , do they just look at the scores and grades and not read anything that might've influenced them at the first stage ?

(sorry for the question, but I'm just curious )

peace

Posted by: Shahriar on March 4, 2011

"But I've been cloistered like the world's most shabbily dressed monk for so long reading applications that this is my first free food in...well, long enough that I was sad." - lulz @ that

It's 4 in the morning here, and I've just woken up to study for some finals. Your post has made me ravenous. I hope you're happy. Now I must prowl around the fridge for something pleasant to put in my mouth, *without* giving Mom the shock of her life.

And I'm suprised the good folk of Niketown actually advised 'against' buying one of their more expensive products. In my experience, a Nike salesperson would actually try to convince you that you needed 2 pairs of cleats. And no, I have little to no advice to offer on cleats, having never purchased a pair in my life. Cross-trainers, maybe, but not cleats.

Hope Matt comes up with the much anticipated post soon.

Posted by: Vivek on March 4, 2011

ADPhi is the best!

Posted by: Sima on March 4, 2011

Ultimate pride ftw?

Do you play rec leagues or pick up (or both)?

Posted by: Alejandro Y on March 4, 2011

both! little too old and brittle of bone to play tackle football anymore, but i enjoy ultimate...

Posted by: Chris Peterson @ MIT Admissions on March 4, 2011

And the traffic police had no problem with all of this?

Posted by: AnotherNoob'15 on March 5, 2011

wow, is that first pic from in front of the entrance to MIT and is it that food center (or whatever it is called) in its background?

Posted by: 0 on March 5, 2011

Nice. Did you ever get a chance to play with Andrew Ji?

Posted by: Alejandro Y on March 5, 2011

Also, if you can get your hands on some older Vapors (by Nike) I find that they are comfortable. By old, I mean 3rd or 4th gen. I haven't had any problems with mine.

If you are looking at new cleats, I have heard good things about adizero, by Adidas, from soccer and Ultimate friends.

Posted by: Alejandro Y on March 5, 2011

Someone should have told me this earlier. I want some buns!

Posted by: Natalee on March 5, 2011

This is slightly off-topic, but is it too late to submit research papers and extra information to MIT's ecredentials?

Posted by: Banerjee on March 6, 2011

wish i was there when this happened. would have wound up crossing the street several times ...

Posted by: 0 on March 6, 2011

^, really? I would have been tempted to do the same.
@Chris peterson: Great blog. Sorry you were holed up that long. And they do look delicious, infact, they make me yearn for the free food culture. As for the cleats, no advice. I don't have any experience/familiarity when it comes to them.
Captcha hassle. It can get annoying.

Posted by: Ceesay on March 7, 2011