Chris Peterson

May 10, 2011

Linkdump: Smart Leaves, Burritos, and Shaq

I think I get my need for notes from my mom. Every day of my childhood was a festival of notes. I'd wake up to a note on my bedside reminding me to brush my teeth; on the bathroom mirror a note would remind me to read the note that would be waiting next to my breakfast. This is how my mother "recycled" the reverse sides of our old drafts of papers and things, with small instructions and reminders and smiley faces. And even now, as a grown man, when I go home I'm liable to wake up buried under a snowbank of mom's making.

But I'm a modern man, so instead I just use TextEdit. My external monitor is layered with little textboxes with lists of todos, instructions to myself, things to check up on, and so forth. I never used to have to do this. When I was a kid, I was the king of baseball trivia. It was like magic tricks. I could tell you everything about Babe Ruth's pitching career or who had held the home run records in the dead ball era. Same for songs. I swear I remember the lyrics from every song I ever heard at a dance from 6th-8th grade. Could my brain be put to better use than a repository of the Ruff Ryders Anthem? Probably. But that's outside my control.

Where was I. Right. Notes. One of my notepads is just an ever-growing list of blog ideas. Some of them are for longer narrative pieces, with a lot of meaning and effort behind them. Others are just cool links for things that happened at MIT. The former will arrive eventually, but the latter are often too short to merit their own entries.

So here's a linkdump of some cool stuff MIT I've come across in the last few weeks and months:

And some videos!

There! Now you've got some cool MIT-ish stuff to see, and I can clear a tiny corner of my desktop...to uncover a dozen more notes behind it.

Great Post!

Posted by: Nishith Khandwala on May 10, 2011

mama shaq, mama shaq, shaq's your mama, that's a fact

Posted by: anon on May 10, 2011

NO LOVE FOR NOTEPAD++???

Posted by: rfong'12 on May 10, 2011

Two out of two awkward bloggers agree that Chipotle > Anna's

Posted by: Emad '14 on May 10, 2011

@rfong: I LOVE NOTEPAD++. SO MANY LESS THAN THREES.

Posted by: anon on May 11, 2011

@Emad: The second of the two agrees. Mmhmm mmhmm mmhmm.

Posted by: Elizabeth '13 on May 12, 2011

nice post...

Posted by: farhan on May 17, 2011