MIT ‘10: Anthony Rindone by Matt McGann '00

A local first generation college student.

Revere's top grad bound for MIT
By Thor Jourgensen / The Daily Item
Tuesday, June 6, 2006

REVERE - Class of 2006 valedictorian Anthony Rindone will quote Thoreau Wednesday when he stands before his fellow graduates and contemplates the high school years they shared.

"Our memories are our salvation," Rindone plans to remind his varied group of fellow seniors.

"The fact is our high school memories are going to be very important."

The graduating class includes native Revere residents and students like Rindone, who grew up in Revere but was born in East Boston, as well as students from different parts of the world who settled in the city with their families.

Differences in background and national origin did not divide his fellow students over the past four years, Rindone said, but brought them closer together and helped them openly debate subjects like the war in Iraq.

"We've intermingled and all done many things together as a group," he said.

Nicknamed "Kip" by his Drama Guild friends, Rindone said his parents, David and Patricia, urged him to set lofty goals during high school but to not look too far away from Revere for a college choice.

He did not disappoint.

The first member of his family to attend college, Rindone starts at the Massachusetts Institute of Technology this fall. He will major in mathematics.

"He is a quietly brilliant kid who has talents that go deep and are spread across many domains," Superintendent Paul Dakin said.

Rindone's Drama Guild participation led him to an interest in Shakespeare.

Dakin said Rindone may seek to spend a college semester abroad in Oxford, England studying drama.