MIT Meetings with Brown & Yale in Texas and Arizona by Matt McGann '00

Learn about three great schools at once in the American Southwest.

Beginning a week from Saturday, MIT will be going on the road with Brown & Yale Universities for meetings in Texas and Arizona. Details can be found here:

brownmityale.org

These meetings will be a great opportunity for high school sophomores and juniors (that is, rising juniors and seniors) to hear from three great universities all in one place. Each school will talk a little about what makes it unique, and will also describe common philosophies on admissions, financial aid, and more. Each session, including Q&A, will run about 90 minutes. You can RSVP at brownmityale.org.

This trip to the Southwest follows closely after the three schools visited Northern California, Nevada, Illinois, Michigan, and Ohio in the spring, and last year’s trips to Southern California, Maryland, Virginia, North Carolina, and Texas.

In the fall, MIT will be going it solo, visiting 70+ cities across the country. So if we’re not in your area now, hopefully we’ll be nearby in September or October. Look for the fall visit calendar to be released later in the summer.

We look forward to seeing you!

25 responses to “MIT Meetings with Brown & Yale in Texas and Arizona”

1. Hey Im an international student and even I wanted to view one of these conferences, especially as I am really keen on going to MIT.So Can something be done about this(like posting a video on youtube, or else putting up the session talks on mit blogs)

Also one more quiry while I’m at it.
    My friends here in India believe that I have a very bad chance of going to MIT as I don’t have many co-curriculurs to my name, and they are a tad on the righter version.I have participated in some activities, but not more than 2 inter-schools on an average.So do I stand a chance if my recommendations are really good and my essays convey my goals in life(which I believe would make even MIT feel good about)and I have perfect SAT 2 scores.
    I dont want an estimate on my chances or anything of the sort, but can anybody tell me if having a less number of extra-curriculurs is detrimental?

2. Rena '12 says:

@Saket:

The application last year only asked for your 5 most meaningful activities, so they weren’t looking for a huge number of extracurriculars.

3. @Saket: I can’t speak for admissions, but if you have specific questions, you can email the admissions people: [email protected]. If you just want to get the information, most of the information talked about in the meetings can be found by reading this website.

Also, this blog isn’t exactly the right place to ask for admissions chances.

I will see you guys in Houston! I can’t wait!

5. Ivan says:

@ Matt: Concerning MIT meetings, do you know if mit has any meeting in other countries as well. I live in Brazil and would like to go to an MIT meeting, where can I get this information?

thanks

Dang! I’ll be in Houston, but a week after the tour comes there. :/ Oh well, I’ll wait for the fall rounds (:

7. heidi says:

Do MIT go overseas?

8. rebecca says:

ummm… I have a question, but I am not sure where to ask it, so I am going to ask it on here, and hopefully someone will have the answer! I am a ’13 hopeful, and I just registered for a MyMIT account, which is supposed to tell me who my local EC is for setting up an interview. The only problem is, I cant find that important piece of information, and I was wondering if that means I dont have one, or if I am just being blind! If someone could tell me where to look, I would appreciate it! And yes, I know I have a few months, but I just want to make sure I know who it is and everything know so I will for sure have the info when I need it. =D

9. madmatt says:

@rebecca: EC/interviewer assignments won’t be made until later in the summer (August-ish). No worries!

@’13?: Hmm… an interesting question. My inclination is always towards free expression, but I do understand the other perspective. As MIT graduates, our alumni interviewers almost certainly had a number of friends at MIT with dyed hair and piercings, so I would hope they would be open-minded, perhaps even excited to see someone familiar in that way.

Let me ask around and see what others think…

@internationals: We don’t presently have any plans for overseas meetings, but we’ll keep you all posted.

10. '13? says:

hey matt i’ve got a question. right now i’ve got a nose ring and bright black and pink hair. i’m applying EA to MIT and i was just wondering. for the interview…is that too unprofessional? the nose ring i could always take out but my hair?

.I am from Pakistan and I dream of studying electric engineering at MIT.I will take my TOEFL test this august , three SAT subject tests in October and SAT reasoning test in November.I want to ask if it is reasonable for me to apply for MIT since i never really get a chance to involve myself in extra-curricular activities because of securities reasons.So should I apply or should i just stop day dreaming about becoming a student of MIT?

Posted by: Rabiah on June 30, 2008 04:29 AM

12. Rabiah says:

I am from Pakistan and I dream of studying electric engineering at MIT.I will take my TOEFL test this august , three SAT subject tests in October and SAT reasoning test in November.I want to ask if it is reasonable for me to apply for MIT since i never really get a chance to involve myself in extra-curricular activities because of securities reasons.So should I apply or should i just stop day dreaming about becoming a student of MIT?

13. @ Albert Wang

Sorry if you didn’t realize, but I am NOT asking for admission chances.And I chose this blog because, well I can’t seem to find a blog related to the topic.This was the nearest I could get.

What I am asking is that well since I don’t have many extra-curriculurs to my name, have I hurt my application to MIT or can the remaining application part even it out?
    I think Rabiah has the same problem smile

@ Rena
    I didn’t understand one thing, that is, do I need 5 meaningful activities or 5 meaningful projects/prizes/participations.(I do have many participations, projects and prizes but I am not sure about the variety of the co-curriculurs.I have participated in debates and a few science quizes and won prizes in computer programming and dramatics.That totals 4 extra-curriculurs.)
    And in what duration do i have to have these “meaningful activities”?

Thanx for replying rena and Albert.I appreciate it.
    -Saket

14. rabia says:

@ Saket
    well i think i am good at programming.i know the both the c languages.i can play musical instruments like tabla and sitar and right now i am volunteering for a local organization meant to help the victims of the Kashmir earthquake.but i am still not sure if that’s enough.

15. Ahmed says:

@rabia
    Dont make the fatal mistake of sounding as if you r doin all dis just to get into college.the admissions officers will c thru it at once.
    @saket
    I dont think they need any proof but chk out wid the admissions officers
    @Hassan
    wid an admit rate of arnd 3% for internationals, this cannot be far frm the truth.

16. Rabia says:

@Saket
    hassan is scaring you not me!

17. rabia says:

@ahmed
    so i’ll be needing a proof?

18. Ahmed says:

@ rabia proof for wat?

@ahmed
    proof that i can do all those things that i mentioned before.

20. Ahmed says:

at least ur teachers shuld rite something abt dem. but mit does not ask for any certificates dats for sure

21. Hassan says:

@all
    I’ve heard that MIT doesn’t usually accept international students without achievements at a national or international level. Well I’m happy to have a few, but I was wondering if it was just a myth.

22. @rabia
    Yeah well rabia, I am almost at par with you except that I have been winning some national level inter-school awards in dramatics and participation as an interjecter and debater in a few debates.However I have not been able to go for any volunteer work so we even out.AND you scare me now.

@Hassan
    IT’s a myth!! IT’s a myth!!!
    Please pray it’s a myth, cause I sure don’t have any(if you exclude the dramatics competition).

Also,another question.
    I know how to play many instruments and am also good at art and craft, however I cannot verify this as I have never gone for art competitions(I am not giving my reasons) .
    Well my question:Does MIT need verification for the extra-curriculurs for which I can’t give much proof apart for the recommendation of my teachers?

23. Hassan says:

People I’m not scaring you. It’s just that all those who got accepted at MIT from my country in past years were those with at least 1 or 2 (inter)national level achievements. So there does seem to be some weight in this factor.

@13?:

Bright black hair? Go for it, that’s somethng I’ll have to see.

25. Well, I havent participated in any arts competitions as I feel that why should I be judged by other people.However people who have seen my sketches tell me I have a good hand(and that includes my art teacher at school and that’s why I asked).
    But Hassan, what you say makes me feel for the first time that I have made a mistake by not participating.Well perhaps I’ll feel this way more often now that I have to apply to more colleges..Let’s see.However your opinions don’t change my principles so don’t think that Why did I make this poor person doubt himself.

@ Rabia
    I said you were scaring me, because you were being so anxious yourself, lol.

Signing off
    Saket.