Mar 12, 2007

Online Decisions To Be Released This Saturday

Posted in: Process & Statistics

Hi folks,

I'm pleased to let you know that we're on schedule to release decisions as planned - at noon (Eastern Time) on Saturday March 17.

Decisions will be available to those who meet all of the following criteria:

• You have applied for freshman admission (not transfer or graduate).

• Your intended entry year (as designated in your MyMIT account) is 2007.

• You applied in Regular Action, or were deferred in Early Action (the system is unable to display decisions for those who applied in Early Action and received a "final" action in December - i.e. admitted or denied).

What is the process for receiving my admissions decision online?

In order to check your decision online, you will need to have registered for a MyMIT account and you will need to know your username and password. When decisions are released, simply visit https://decisions.mit.edu and log in using the same username and password that you use to log into your MyMIT account. There are no interim screens, so you should be sure you wish to receive your decision online before logging in to decisions.mit.edu.

Please note that you can visit https://decisions.mit.edu now to confirm your username and password. We will not be in the office on the weekend that decisions are released, so to prevent any delays, you should confirm your username and password well in advance.

What if I've forgotten my MyMIT username or password?

You may use our automated system to reset it. Simply visit my.mit.edu and click on the "lost username" or "lost password" link.

What if I don't have a MyMIT account?

If you do not currently have a MyMIT account and you wish to receive your decision online, you will need to register for one using your MIT ID, which was sent to you via postal mail soon after receiving your paper application (if you used the online application, you already have a MyMIT account). If you have misplaced your MIT ID, or if you never received it, you may call our office to get it (please note that you will be asked to give some personal information for verification).

If you register without your MIT ID, your username and password may not work on decisions.mit.edu.

Will there be any indication of my admissions decision in my MyMIT account?

Admitted students will see the addition of the Admitted Student Portlet in their MyMIT account beginning on or after Monday, March 19. (Denied and waitlisted applicants will not see a change.) If you do not wish to receive your decision online, you'll want to take a brief vacation from your MyMIT account until your letter arrives in the mail.

finallyy!

Posted by: Rachel on March 12, 2007

first sensible post
I wish I get into MIT

Posted by: Mrinal on March 12, 2007

hay ben....any views on the selection process

Posted by: Anonymous on March 12, 2007

How many applicants from Pakistan have been admitted this year???

Posted by: Anonymous on March 12, 2007

Wow I have to wait till midnight on the second last day of my MUN conference in Beijing haha

Posted by: Cobra129 on March 12, 2007

oh..........!!! don't do that

Posted by: bhushan on March 12, 2007

it will be on 10:30PM here on same day

Posted by: bhushan on March 12, 2007

Not that I'm applying, but I always get excited when decisions come out.

Good luck to everyone!! :D

Posted by: Reg on March 12, 2007

Wow.. 5 days to go! I'm actually going to wait for the mail though, heh.

Anyway, I thought I'd mention that the unofficial MIT admissions chat room is up. Everyone is absolutely welcome - hope to see you there.

Good luck everyone!

Posted by: Adam S. on March 12, 2007

Oh the shivers... im just worried that my profile wasnt reviewed again, they just found my ACT scores last week, even though they "recieved" them in december. Its worrieing to me because i got a 95% on my math as opposed to the 50% they recieved from my SAT's.

Do you think they revewed the folder when they got the scores and inputted them into the system?

Posted by: Lendz on March 12, 2007

WOAH!! That is pretty intimidating.. Anxiety.. I hope I get in..

Good Luck to Everyone!

Posted by: AK on March 12, 2007

Thank God! I thought I'll have to wait forever for an update. It is official now- the decision date is close.

All the admission bloggers- we need your help to cope the tension. Looking forward to reading something nice and soothing! haha

Yesterday, i read a blog in my dream with pictures of Ben, Nance and Matt seeing off our packages (and also biting them for a pose). Now that is when you know the decisions are almost there!

Posted by: spacepirate on March 12, 2007

This is sooooooo exciting! MIT is my dream school, and I can't believe we've got only five days to go! I feel my heart's going to beat like never before when logging into decisions.mit! It's gonna be evening 8pm'ish here across the Atlantic. Good luck to everybody!

Posted by: gy on March 12, 2007

Wow,

I have read the post with mixed reaction. Am happy coz the day to finally know my fate is just 5 days away. But at the same time I am nervous, tensed like never before. Am sure if we were to cast a vote for whether to have the decisions postponed I would vote to have them postponed indefinately.
For now am keeping my fingers and my toes crossed. I wish........
But alas, if wishes were fishes then everybody would be a fisherman!!!!!!!!

Posted by: Thuita Maina on March 12, 2007

you know whats funny? i've already gotten ea decisions from two schools, interim from rice, and international from six different schools in the uk, but this is the first decision i REALLY REALLY care about. Man its going to suck when i get rejected.

Posted by: mR on March 12, 2007

Gy

Sure it will be the most tensing moment - logging into decisions.mit.edu. My heart will blow.

mR

Sure, I will be heart-broken if I get rejected. Am not sure how long I will take to recover but it's going to be hard dealing with a rejection.

spacepirate

I agree with u. We need more blogs on admissions. Right now, I don't care much about other blogs other than the ones on admissions.

Finally, any one from Kenya? What time will it be here in Kenya. Is it 7pm? Whatever the time, I won't sleep until I know my fate.

Guys, it's done. All we can do is wait.

Bhusan it's gonna be 10:15 PM in India not 10:30.
Its so exciting to wait for the D day

Posted by: Utkarsh on March 12, 2007

the thing i hate is that the decisions are coming midnight when i can't access a computer. i wish it were during the day. god!! i'm so nervous.

Posted by: 0 on March 12, 2007

All the Best Everyone! Mr. Jones or Mr. McGann... could you please tell us how many international students were accepted this year? I was just curious... and the applicant pool size as well if its possible!

Posted by: Anonymous on March 12, 2007

oh never mind it's during day. look i've gotten crazy already.
(Same anonymous as above)

Posted by: 0 on March 12, 2007

omg i'm so nervous. i'd give up all the other acceptances and scholarships for MIT. please let me in!!!

Posted by: M on March 12, 2007

Great to get an actual offical update!! Waiting for the d day!! Ya...the moment we're going to get the decision is going to be deadly tense! BADLY want to get in!

Posted by: Ranga on March 12, 2007

i really don't think i'll have the guts to check...MIT is the only place i've applied to abroad...and as far as india is concerned it all boils down to four entrance exams..n it depend on THAT ONE SCORE...that's it...no 2nd chances...nobody cares about who u r or what others think of you....so ur just "registered" for these exams...MIT is theonly 'real' application until now!!!
TAKE ME TAKE ME TAKE ME TAKE ME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Posted by: Arwen on March 12, 2007

finally the hearts will stop beating which was continuing since jan 1

Posted by: Kuldeep on March 12, 2007

10:15pm eh?...hmmm....wonder where i'll be....Oh man...i hope i'm not waitlisted...the anxiety would kill me...n i hope i' not rejected...the disappointment would kill me....so...oh hey Ben...why don't u just admit me????
then i'll just die of joy i guess....wink:D:D:D:

Posted by: Arwen on March 12, 2007

Hey matt...still just 110 international students?...how many applicants?

Posted by: Arwen on March 12, 2007

Here we go folks!!
All the best to all of you!!

Posted by: Ashesh on March 12, 2007

hmmm...yeah...best of luck...hey i probably won't be in town when the mailed decision comes....what should i do?

Posted by: Arwen on March 12, 2007

hmm

Posted by: ­ on March 12, 2007

anxious

Posted by: 0 on March 12, 2007

i have felt the pain before...

Posted by: ‮ on March 12, 2007

best of luck to all of you guys from a freshman here at MIT> Hope to meet many of you soon.

Posted by: jose on March 12, 2007

FINALLY!!

Best of luck to all the applicants!

Posted by: Anurag on March 12, 2007

Decisions Online...admitted..yupeeeeeeee!!!!!!!!!!

Posted by: Anonymous on March 12, 2007

Well, it's official now. I'm keeping myself busy until Saturday. Whether I mope around waiting or go out and live, the decision will be the same.

Posted by: Guyomar on March 12, 2007

Wow, this is so nerve racking. Anyway, good luck everyone!

Posted by: Ads on March 12, 2007

ermm huh? they're not online. How do you know youre admitted, anonymous?

Posted by: mR on March 12, 2007

guys visit take a look at this group at facebook
http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=2250308853

Posted by: 0 on March 12, 2007

Mom of sophomore, waiting to hear on my other son! Good Luck everyone, we parents are anxious too!

Posted by: Robin Kesich on March 12, 2007

Dear mR,
I know u got a perfect SAT, gazzillions A's, go to a renonwed skewl of the country, so dont worry u'll get in...MIT wont get a guy better than U...aint I rite?????????

Posted by: Anonymous on March 12, 2007

nope. My essays were terrible. I'm not getting in. Incidentally, do i know you from somewhere?

Posted by: mR on March 12, 2007

St.Patrick's Day will either be very happy or very tragic this year...ah! Nervous....

Posted by: Katherine on March 12, 2007

I sincerely don't know if you guys have gone through this, but here goes: http://www.mitadmissions.org/topics/before/helping_your_parents_through_this_process/its_more_than_a_job.shtml

Hats off to you Ben! You're one awesome awesome person!

God bless.

Posted by: Ashesh on March 12, 2007

mR,
mark my words...you are in !!!if you don't getin here..u'll get into Princeton or yale or may be harvard...2400 on SAT would sure take you to one those institutes...assuming you are an international candidate

Posted by: Anonymous on March 12, 2007

hope i get to MIT-my dream.With these five days of waiting,the going will be tough but when the going gets tough,the tough gets going.

Posted by: forlemu on March 12, 2007

Hi! does anybody know what time it will be in Spain?
Good luck!

Posted by: Camila on March 12, 2007

Good...So guy just freeze and wait for 5 days...everything will be all right...GOOD LUCK TO EVERYONE WHO APPLIED...

ORKHAN

Posted by: Orkhan on March 12, 2007

wish everyone the best of luck!
remember, don't faint when you arrive here..tehehehe....
Thanks admissions for all their hardworks, finally I could rest now..ah~

Posted by: Qiji on March 12, 2007

And 5:00AM Sunday for New Zealand ...

I guess I'll have to get up early raspberry

Posted by: Posi on March 12, 2007

Hey! I'm not actually applying this year but still i feel nervous for all you guys. Good luck to all of you smile

Posted by: Chessy on March 12, 2007

Here's a reminder:
For all those getting nervous, I'd suggest you go through this: http://www.mitadmissions.org/topics/before/helping_your_parents_through_this_process/its_more_than_a_job.shtml

It sure did make me feel better. I'm sure it's going to make you all feel good and less stressed too.

Cheers and my best wishes to all of you.

Posted by: Ashesh on March 12, 2007

I swear I'm gonna have a heart attack this week from waiting. Ahhhhhh. It's so soon! But so far away! Gahhhhh.

Posted by: 0 on March 12, 2007

hmmm... it all just boils down to this very day... ahhh... love it man... seriously... i am not nervous... infact, i am sort of upbeat... and if i don't get through, then what??? i don't know... maybe i'll still be the same... maybe not... but one thing is for sure... i aint gonna sulk or something... cummon... life goes on... i mean... maybe there would be something better in store... anyways... 17th March 2007 it is... 10:30 PM Indian Standard Time...

Posted by: Ashwani Gupta on March 12, 2007

Chill guys, there's no sense getting worked up over something you can't control. You submitted your stuff, you laid everything you had out on the table, now just relax knowing you that you pwn. Seriously, worrying won't help at all.

Do what I did when EA decisions came out. . .stay up all night the night before with friends and play wii. Maybe not wii (but I can't see why not) but do something and make sure it lasts well into the night. That way when you wake up at 11:30 you only have to wait about 15 minutes before the decision.

WHAT?!?! 11:30 + 00:15 = 11:45, but decisions come out at noon?! They tend to release the decisons about 15 minutes early so that people view their decisions over a spread out period of time instead of destroying the servers at noon. In short, you'll know 15 minutes earlier than you currently plan to, so yay!

Good luck all, it's hard, but stop stressing and bugging out. Chill, have fun, and do something crazy ridiculous and write a blog entry about it to make people laugh. . . anything but worry about admissions decisions.

Posted by: Snively on March 12, 2007

Nice post Snively... :-D

Posted by: Ashesh on March 12, 2007

I'm just sad that they couldn't have the descisions on Pi Day. But... to me, this means that there are so many good applications, that it will take longer to read them and make decisions. Keep your fingers crossed, everybody!

Posted by: E. Yanyo on March 12, 2007

Snively- You should major in psychology wink

Posted by: Monika on March 12, 2007

Dude it sure is getting more difficult to bear things as the gap closes... What gives me the shivers is the fact that some of us (or to be honest most of us) will get rejected... Being an international student, I can feel this a bit more intensely.

But to keep everyone cool, I say believe in fate. Its the best thing. What is going to happen is going to happen and you simply can not change it.

Dear me..... good luck to everyone of you and to me ofcourse!! till the decisions bye

Posted by: Pakistani on March 12, 2007

In italy it will be 17:00 I guess...but I won't be home till 21:00..they will be the longest 3 hours of my life...

Posted by: 0 on March 12, 2007

Hi, I head a rumor that Massachusetts students will receive decisions on Wednesday (Pi day). Is this true!? And if it is, can we view the decision online also?

Posted by: 0 on March 12, 2007

Oh God. I'm terrified. This sucks. My hopes and dreams have been limitless. Until this.

Posted by: Kimberly on March 12, 2007

I'm getting sick to the stomach... And I'd been guessing March 17 since December, then it was announced a couple weeks ago that it would be March 17, now it's for sure. Maybe my sickness has something to do with my lack of sleep though...

Posted by: Elizabeth on March 12, 2007

Mann. The day is almost here. Good luck to everyone =)

Posted by: Kristina on March 12, 2007

when I was applying, I knew the odds, but throughout all this waiting, I've been trying to remain optimistic -- now the possibility for rejection is setting in, little by little....

Posted by: theresa on March 12, 2007

I have submitted my application and now I trust in God.Only God can see you through my friends.Have faith. Ive bin admitted in Jesus' name.... Amen

Posted by: Ebot on March 12, 2007

Saint Patrick's day?? WHY!! Man, this means I gotta bust out the green for good luck. wink!

Posted by: 0 on March 12, 2007

adam - how do we get a username for ur chatroom? i can only see what's going on, not join in

Posted by: anon on March 12, 2007

Like the lyrics of the famous song ... "It's final countdown" smile

Posted by: 0 on March 12, 2007

anon- you just click log in, then type a name. If it's already used, it won't let you in. For instance Elizabeth is taken (god knows by whom since I'm the only Elizabeth who ever posts) so I'm Elizabeth D on the chat room. YOu can use a password or not.

Posted by: Elizabeth on March 12, 2007

I have a Robotics competition at that time. Maybe I'll sneak a look at the site during a break. I also find out the same day whether or not I get a full scholarship to an engineering school.

Posted by: 0 on March 12, 2007

Good luck to everyone!!

Posted by: Javier on March 12, 2007

people in europe, keep in mind that the US had daylight savings time way before the EU this year. so actually your time is one hour less than the time difference you're used to.

Posted by: 0 on March 12, 2007

This is going to be a long week. Good luck to everyone!!!!!

Posted by: Awet on March 12, 2007

It's about time. Good luck, everyone!

Posted by: K on March 12, 2007

Eep. Five days . . .
I just went through last year's "waiting to know about the decision" and "phooey I didn't get in" blog, http://www.mitadmissions.org/topics/before/ helping_your_parents_through_this_process/its_ more_than_a_job.shtml, suggested by Ashesh, above.

That's actually really scary. High SAT scores, 14 AP tests by the time I graduate, Laser Quest addict and radiation-hormesis-supporting oddball. A one-in-seven chance of making it in. And I don't even have the excuses I had with some of the other application; my computer, which decided to crash, then burn out the monitor, then contact a virus, was working middling decently while I worked on the MIT application.

I think I'm just coming to terms with the idea that I really do have a one-in-seven chance of admittance. Wow. I mean . . . nothing really tragic if I don't get in; I'll go down to the local LQ and play left-handed for a while to relax. But it's starting to get to me, like having a small pebble in your shoe. Not bad, exactly, but dang it's uncomfortable.

Good luck, guys.

*Hoping, hoping, hoping . . . *

Posted by: Susan on March 12, 2007

I figure, there's nothing anyone can do now but think positively. Relax, take a walk, focus on something else, read, listen to music, call or write to old friends, make new ones... Might as well make some positive impact to reflect upon after the acceptance/rejection. Personally, I'm waiting until the physical evidence arrives, so that I can review my decision in peace (computer isn't in the most private of places).

Good luck to all, and know that I'm waiting with you as I'm sure many are. I've heard one of eight admissions decisions - that's my backup school. *Nervous* just doesn't seem to cut it. =)

Posted by: Karen W (NyaraSha) on March 12, 2007

Oh man.
Now I'm gonna be all twitchy.
You guys should totally give out decisions on Pi Day, that'd be so much more MIT-esque.

Posted by: Audrey H. on March 12, 2007

I have no idea how i could possibly sleep this Friday, which sucks because I have a rugby game the following day against Canada, and in California the decisions will come out at nine in the morning and so if I get rejected that's all I'll be able to think about all day. AAAAHHHHH!!!!!

Anyways, Good Luck to everyone and try not to worry (like I undoubtedly will)

Posted by: Andrew on March 12, 2007

Oh My God. I think I'm gonna faint now. I want to go to MIT iwth all my heart and soul. Plz TAKE ME MIT!!!

Posted by: Colleen on March 12, 2007

My SAT II scores were not the best...still hoping everyting works out for me though. I know I'm MIT material (fingers crossed and numb)

Posted by: Mermaid on March 12, 2007

really, fifteen minutes earlier?

Posted by: V on March 12, 2007

At least you can't make me wait ANOTHER 3 months for the decision

Posted by: X on March 12, 2007

Only 1-3 people from my country make it to MIT each year. Please take me!

Posted by: JZ on March 12, 2007

Being British, I was pretty worried to see that the decisions were being posted on St. Patrick's day. Thinking back at our not so wonderful history, I had that "Oh no, I'm doomed!" feeling that everyone has for one reason or another. Then I remembered that Saint Patrick was born in England to Italian parents, and seeing as I speak Italian, then thought La Vita E' Bella! Buona fortuna per tutti!

Posted by: Joseph on March 12, 2007

If I calculated right, I will know my fate (okay, I'm being melodramatic but come on, it's MIT I'm talking about here!) on Mar.18th at 2a.m. in South Korea. Looks like it's going to be one sleepless night one way or the other. Well, good luck to everyone!

Posted by: 0 on March 12, 2007

yup, ea decisions came up at 11:43 or earlier

Posted by: 0 on March 12, 2007

I'll be at a Robotics Competition as well... I'll need to steal someone's laptop!... But what is this MA applicants hearings on Pi Day?? Has anyone else heard of this?

Posted by: 0 on March 12, 2007

GOOD LUCK GUYS!!

I'm excited to see who makes it, and I know I'll be just like you guys next March...unless by some miracle I make it EA ^_^ Only one person I know of applied to MIT at my school and we're gonna be at Science Olympiad when the news is out so I hope someone brings a laptop!!

Posted by: Rebecca Chang on March 12, 2007

hey utkarsh and bhushan, i'll be up as well for the decisions! which part of India do you guys come from? I'm in chennai.
Let's hope we all get in! and, all the best for your board exams!

Posted by: Atul on March 12, 2007

Oooh Good luck you guys!!!

I know a lot of you are very talented and promising students, and I hope that those of you that will get the most out of it get in!!

As for what to do while waiting... I was VERY anxious and I didn't really eat a lot for like 2 weeks before decisions... I even dreamed I was rejected, but I was saying it like it was no big deal, and that's when everything just fell into place: I realized that no matter whether I got admitted, deferred or rejected (which is what I thought I'd get), life would go on, and I'd become a succesful student no matter where I went to. So don't feel bad if you don't get in -- at least you got the guts to give it a shot! If you don't get in, there's always a school that's also a good fit, if not a better one, so go and find it!!

And the most important thing... I know it's hard, but try to FORGET ABOUT MIT UNTIL SATURDAY MORNING! And I suggest the same thing Snively said, which is what I did, sort of. I went partying the night before, went to bed as late as I could, then my best friend woke me up to tell me I'd gotten in. (That's a good idea, if you think you couldn't stand to see a rejection just give a friend your password and have him/her check it for you.)

GOOD LUCK YOU GUYS!

Posted by: milena on March 12, 2007

am i the only guy who is not excited about this?

Posted by: ya on March 12, 2007

Good Luck Everyone!
Great advice, people; it seems to help.

Posted by: Chandresh on March 12, 2007

Good advice milena and snively.

I probably won't have enough will power to follow it, but good advice all the same! haha.

But yeah, I just came back from my Senior Transitions Retreat and during my small group discussions, we gave each person affirmations and it was so comforting to know that so many of my classmates--even the ones that i don't know too well--were rooting for me to get in (even Mr. Engle the new pre-cal teacher who i never had nor ever spoke to before). God I love my classmates and its going to be sad to leave them next year! ok. sorry for that tangent, but I'm kind of emotional right now.

i guess i'm just saying that its nice to know that so many people are supportive of you.

so honestly guys, I am really rooting for you. I hope to meet you all next year, esp those who i kind of got to know on the blogs. I know that we all deserve to get in because we have worked so hard for it. Good luck to all you applicants!

and i know it might sound weird coming from someone you might not know, but really...good luck and all the best.

Posted by: Josh V on March 12, 2007

Oh my god! i can't think of anything else all day (there wouldn't be much of a problem with that if not for the fact that i had a Math exam coming up...i've been preparing for that exam for a little less than 2 years, so i'd better start thinking about that too now)
And Atul and the others from India : because the 'daylight saving time' starts (or ends - i can never figure out which) in the US at around this time, I'm pretty sure we'll be getting the results at 9: 30 pm IST...
And Atul, if we both get in, then i can be sure that there'll be atleast one other person in MIT who can speak my mother tongue!
All the best, all of you!

Posted by: Yup, this is Me on March 12, 2007

I am really very excited, and somewhat nervous also. I wish I get into MIT.

Posted by: Mrinal on March 12, 2007

I'm not going to be home to check it :(

Well personally I think MIT should put the letters in the mail tomorrow...please?

Posted by: 0 on March 12, 2007

I'm so nervous. I don't know if they have room for me although I really hope that they do. Does anyone know the statistics for 2011 yet? (like percent admitted)

Posted by: 0 on March 12, 2007

ok, going to bed so when i wake up there will only be FOUR DAYS left!!

Posted by: V on March 13, 2007

Fortunately or unfortunately, I'm one of those Pollyanna-type people who are really good at maintaining optimisim even in the face of defeat. I'll probably be sitting there on Saturday with a goofy "you can do it!" face while the world collapses around me =D

Posted by: Liyuan on March 13, 2007

Brilliant...now I have to look forward to emotional torture until saturday and possibly after saturday too...

Good luck to everyone who applied for 07!!!

Posted by: DK on March 13, 2007

Finally my death penalty is signed... It will be executed on 17th 1200... Good bye all !

Love ---

Madman

Posted by: The madman who makes people fly aka Captain SS Wan on March 13, 2007

Arghhhh I am so scared. I thought I had at least another week or two!
Everyone sounds like they have a very good chance of being admitted.

I thought my heart was coming up through my throat - beating way too loudly - when I read this.

Good luck, everyone, I hope I'll be able to see you guys, ye all sound so nice

Posted by: Ed on March 13, 2007

Actually... to think about it; 1-7 is cumforting; what makes it unnerving is knowing that those other 6, are almost exactly like you. what do i have that they dont? THATS whats unnerving, but in ea... it was 1 in 10; so to us, its been 1-17;

may the forces of physics be with us all.

Godspeed.

Posted by: Lendz on March 13, 2007

@Atul and Yup,its me...

all that about ur mother tongue....me 2!!!but really doubt i'll get in ...GAWD!!!!TAKE ME....rather BEN TAKE ME!!!!...watevr...

@Madman...
hey...u from kolkata???....'cz then if we both don't get in we can go bury ourselves in the park street graveyard or sumthin ...wink:):)....

Boy am i optimistic!!!!!!

4 days.....aaarrrgh....

Posted by: Arwen on March 13, 2007

Ok this is it

Posted by: Stefan on March 13, 2007

Hi Atul!
I know you didn't ask me, but I'm from Dhanbad, Jharkhand. grin

Posted by: Ashesh on March 13, 2007

I GET IN! I GET IN NOT! I GET IN! I GET IN NOT! I GET IN! I GET IN NOT! I GET IN! I GET IN NOT! I GET IN! I GET IN NOT! I GET IN! I GET IN NOT! I GET IN! I GET IN NOT! I GET IN! I GET IN NOT! I GET IN! I GET IN! I GET INNNN!!! plssss.....mercy!!!

Posted by: Shashank on March 13, 2007

hmm i keep reading my essays, and keep oscillating between "of course i'll get in, how the hell couldnt i?" and "oh hell, what the #$% was i thinking? they'd be mad to accept me". its very strange

Posted by: mR on March 13, 2007

Whatever you all geeks may say, I AM IN for sure.I have done a lot of hard work for this.
And moreover, God is with me. So I know I am in.

I REALLY HOPE I AM IN.RATHER I KNOW I AM IN. THANKS GOD.

Posted by: Utkarsh on March 13, 2007

Guys take it easy!!! Dont worry about the decisions...I would say until March 17 just enjoy life! Go out, do something meaningful, fun, exciting. Then On March 17 check your decision online. If you got in CONGRATS..if you didnt LIFE GOES ON! MIT is an AMAZING school but I am sure that they cannot accept all the AMAZING applicants that applied. Yes I know it is nerve racking...and life changing, but what you become in life ULTIMATELY depends on who YOU are.... Goodluck to everyone!!!

Posted by: Anjanie Sriram on March 13, 2007

Yah arwen I am but how dya know?

Its like the teachers at VM say. Enjoy life, study some and forget u applied to MIT.

Posted by: Ishan on March 13, 2007

(SET! mit (cons mit me)) ; maybe adcom is just a compiler

Posted by: Aditya on March 13, 2007

Hey, good to see a Kenyan on the blog.Hope your doing great Thuita.Well just want to tell you to hope for the best and expect the worst... well thats what i'm doing. All the best.

Posted by: kennedy mugo on March 13, 2007

well.......... i m frm Maharashtra Atul

Hey guys just relax hav faith in urself n maker of this world he cares for u n MIT too so if u r the appropriate person for MIT according to God then doesn't matter whatever ur score were n blaa blaa blaa he will take u there

Posted by: bhushan on March 13, 2007

Who's going to BEIMUN here? I also applied to MIT let's check altogether! haha

Posted by: Philip on March 13, 2007

The number of responses to this blog alone in such a short time tells the whole story.

I believe this is the time we all bow our heads for 5 minutes and say a word of prayer.

Remember that there are at least 10000(+me)other people just as anxious as any of you guys.

Posted by: Timothy on March 13, 2007

Hey Ishan what is VM?

Utkarsh, I appreciate your positive spirit; however, while nearly all the applicants are very anxious, how come you are sooooo confident? May I please know your credentials, so that if you get admitted, at least, I'll have some benchmark, for knowing what it takes to get into MIT.

As far as I am concerned, all I can say is, I am very worried!

Posted by: QuriousQreature on March 13, 2007

true QQ all are worried

When are ya guys online to chat???

@Anonymous on March 13, 2007 07:20 AM

How did ya find your decision????

Posted by: 0 on March 13, 2007

madman

now

Posted by: 0 on March 13, 2007

The madman who makes people fly aka Captain SS Wandering Albatross -

There are generally lots of people on the chat from around 5:00pm to midnight EDT. I hope that works for you!

Posted by: Adam S. on March 13, 2007

ok I am there too come and join

either way,i don't think i'll be able to prepare for other exams(like jee)after 17th.if i get through i'll be too busy celebrating to study and if i don't i would be too disappointed to study.
anyway,all the best to all those who have applied.

Posted by: vasanth on March 13, 2007

I can give you that benchmark right now: Do well in school, take hard classes, and don't bomb the SATs. Other than that, there's not much else to say. Based purely on the apps I've read of other EA admits, everything is so varied that to think that one person's app is the recipe needed just wouldn't work. There're painters, builders, robot people, music people, rowers, dancers, people that rock the AMC and AIME, people that hate math, pretty much everything.

It's all about the match, not entirely about the credentials.

Posted by: Snively on March 13, 2007

So what are you guys planning to do form now till Saturday?!

I got a job this summer... so I just plan to work (I live in south america), hang out with friends, gym, and probably read some of the stuff i studied last year...

I'll make another question, what will you guys do until August?

Posted by: Rickszyr on March 13, 2007

Snively,

How would you define bombing the SAT's?

Posted by: Anonymous on March 13, 2007

Dear Snively
Could you please explain what bombing the SATs means, especially in terms of the scores?

Posted by: QuriousQreatures on March 13, 2007

Dear Snively

All I could make out, was that probably you wanted to say that, one mustn't have poor SAT scores? Am I right?

By the way, I am an international applicant, and so for me only the SAT Subject Test scores, and the TOEFL scores count. I have perfect SAT Subject Test scores and, I think my TOEFL score is also very good, although it isn't perfect.

Dear Anjanie

I am trying my level best to stay away from the PC, but I don't why, all of sudden, I seem to have turned into an iron filing, and the PC a poweful horse-shoe magnet. This is probably because, I'll get to know my decision, obviously, using the PC.

HI JONES
How many from INDIA.Plz tell me else I would not be sleeping for next four days.Pllllllllllllzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz.

Posted by: Kuldeep on March 13, 2007

Kuldeep, a guy from bolivia says 400. Please come and join here http://whitehatdesign.com/chat/

I find it funny how no one objected to being called a geek. I guess the truth doesn't always have to hurt.

Best of luck, all.

Posted by: Name on March 13, 2007

mR, i know exactly how you feel...i've been doing the same thing, going through my application again and gaining confidence ( though not always 'gaining')...
kuldeep, i'm from India...but don't worry, i'm not competing for the 110 international student spots - i am a domestic student (but i'm completing my high school in India. yeah, my situation is a "bit" complicated)
it's a good thing i have my exams on right now...at least i have something to divert my thoughts from MIT.
well guys, i'm trying my very best to be positive...my suggestion is that you try to be optimistic too.
trust me, it can help

Posted by: Yup, this is me again on March 13, 2007

hi!! one big question... decisions will also be mailed by traditional mail??? I really prefer to see the decision in paper...the problem is I am an international student... so, how long would it take for the decisions to arrive in europe... do you have any idea??? thanks!!! and good luck everyone!!!

Posted by: Carla on March 13, 2007

I wiiiiiiiissssssssshhhhhhhh I've got in. Oh man....... I'm going craaaaaazy......

Posted by: Hopeful on March 13, 2007

Come and join http://whitehatdesign.com/chat/

We are there

From The Madman's last post, the mean average time interval between posts was around 597 seconds, or 9.96 minutes.

Hey, I had to keep myself busy somehow.

Posted by: Name on March 13, 2007

I have never been as tensed as this before in my
life.I am really going craaa.....zy.I hope I made it.How many students from Cameroon made it this year? Plz tell me or else one does not know what might happen. Pllzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz.......

Posted by: CHAMCHAM KIVEN YANDE NDEFRU on March 13, 2007

Kennedy Mugo

Great to see a Kenyan! What time will it be here in Kenya? Wish you all the best.

Posted by: Thuita Maina on March 13, 2007

Use this to figure out what time it will be

Posted by: Aditya on March 13, 2007

I look every hour at every day, look at every month... look at every year in the future... my life is not but a sea saw, and its tittering on a vulcrum. And what do i see from my perch on my piece of wood? Perfect SAT's, high tofls... how can i hope to compete? Because i am me. I have always competed amongst the best and the brightest, and beat them quite often too. I am not a methodical wench that is structured well beyond what i can perform, im an inventor, my power is in the spontanious, the quick, the fast, and the wit. My room looks like a cene out of a hurricain disaster zone, and my mind feels like a tsunami. This odd feeling that bolsters over me, is not just one of logic, controle, and perfect scores, but one of innovation, honour and loyalty. Look at einstien, never did well on any standardized test, never got accepted at his dream school, yet, he never gave up what he loved. And look at how we think of him today? To all those that applied to MIT, remember, SaT scores and good essays arnt just what counts. Its who YOU are. Who you will be! what you will do! and how you will do it! we all have the power to do great things, just dont let that fire die, ever. It makes you...

I didnt get a perfect on my SAT's, no where near it, I however know what my ability is, and my ability tells me that I am a perfect match for MIT; what my mind tells me? Did i get my ability across?

we are the furure, and let us grasp it.

Posted by: Lendz on March 13, 2007

so i am officially addicted to this blog. and its pretty unhealthy to keep reading all of our stressed out posts over and over, and everytime i come here i get nervous all over again, but i can't help it!

man i am jealous of those of you who are like, i am KNOW in, and i got perfect scores etc. good luck all!

Posted by: V on March 13, 2007

wouldnt it be just about tooooooo great if all the applicants could gather at MIT hold hands in a dark room dimly lit by candles ...with matt dreassed up as dumbledore (on a pedestal) and the rest of us like (dunno what..)...and the verdict would come out one by one...as ...wowieeeeeee.......

Posted by: kanika on March 13, 2007

its nt Harry Potter

Posted by: 0 on March 13, 2007

HEy everyone....BEST OF LUCK smile

Posted by: Zohaib on March 13, 2007

hell yes that would be awesome...lol
but it would have to be very dimly lit to conceal my crushed face upon my verdict.

Posted by: V on March 13, 2007

I dont even want give a response.I asked my friend to do it for me.A word for the wise stay away from all PCs n especially this website until Saturday.

Posted by: Damien on March 13, 2007

It would be great kanika

anyway,I have to go and play F.E.A.R

Good luck to all

Posted by: 0 on March 13, 2007

has the application tracking box (you know the one above the financial aid thing) from the my mit page been removed?

Posted by: mR on March 13, 2007

mR,
The whole country is expecting you to get in!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Posted by: Anonymous on March 13, 2007

Chaharshanbe Suri is one of the biggest Persian ceremonies which Iranian from all around the world celebrate it by making fire and jumping over it when they are singing an old verse. If you translate the verse into English, you get this meaning " My redness comes from fire and fire's yellowness comes from me [ which we consider that our skins are yellow ]. ". This ceremony is at the last Tuesday's night of Persian year and this year is on March 13, 2007 (NIGHT = because you can observe a fire's flame better ).

Also Happy PI day. Does anyone celebrate one of these?

Maybe you can find a group of Iranian near your home and join them in this big event or you can do it yourself. It should be easy to make a fire. Last year we didn't have anybody and any wood so we had to jump over a candle.

Posted by: Saman on March 13, 2007

Hey QuriousQreature, I understand your dilemma...although I am have fun and go out these days I am ALWAYS on the mit website whenever im home!!! Call me obsessed! Well I hope that you get into MIT!

Posted by: Anjanie on March 13, 2007

Lendz- Nice post. Sure alleviated the painful waiting.

Posted by: Spacepirate on March 13, 2007

ermm anonymous, do i know you from somewhere?

Posted by: mR on March 13, 2007

Cobra129, out of curiousity, which conference and country are you for BEIMUN? I'm the delegate of Slovenia in the Special Conference - hahaha, hope to see you then! :D I'm nervous but excited at the same time for it... yay! smile

Until then, EVERYONE ELSE - chillax, people! There's not much we could do after a certain point. Go ahead, do what Snively said - go and play Wii, watch movies, be random and carefree, or (in my and Cobra129's cases) debate international policy. raspberry

If you get into MIT, you should celebrate and just revel in the fact that you got into college! smile If you didn't get into MIT, I'm sincerely sorry for your loss. (Though it'd probably be me at this point. smile Don't worry - don't let one rejection ruin your self-confidence. It's just a college decision - it absolutely DOES NOT reflect on you as a person, no, not at all.

You are still an awesome, qualified, talented person no matter what happens. Just remember that. smile

(As a thought, I think I'll postpone seeing my decision for a while... Just because I want to test my limits of self-endurance and not be bummed if it doesn't go my way. smile

Posted by: Michelle on March 13, 2007

Oh, haha, and...

HAPPY PI DAY from the (now dark) area of South-East Asia! :D

Posted by: Michelle on March 13, 2007

Dear Michelle
What is Pi Day? Does it have something to do with
Л ?

Posted by: Mrinal on March 13, 2007

mR,
I am quite sure of ur acceptence...unless the KGS...blackliting thing does not turns out to be a reality!!!!

Posted by: Anonymous on March 13, 2007

i enjoyed my dinner, but now its trying to come up!! ooh i hope i get in... which has to be basically everone's hope.

Posted by: a on March 13, 2007

Good Luck everyone!

Posted by: 0 on March 13, 2007

So I don't know about everyone else, but I feel seriously bipolar. One moment I am sure that I'm going to MIT, then the next I'm positive I'm rejected.

I was in psychology(how ironic) and told my friend I was positive that I wasn't going to get in, and he said "Not with that attitude!". But then I realized it doesn't matter what my attitude is like. Somewhere in Cambridge, MA, Ben Jones and others have already marked my file. Nothing more can be done, except to sit back and accept that whether or not I get in, it will be for the best.

Good luck everyone and it's been one hell of a ride!

Posted by: Emily on March 13, 2007

Anybody know when the last time MIT used its wait list?

Posted by: 0 on March 13, 2007

@Emily: totally. Definitely empathizing with you right not. Meh. I feel like not checking it online, and waiting for the letter...just to see if I actually can last that long without knowing.

I probably won't be able to.

Posted by: Yossarian on March 13, 2007

I have just been informed that the reviewing committee probobly wont even touch my folder with the new ACT scores they found. So now its all on luck.

May luck be with us all!

Posted by: Lendz on March 13, 2007

YAY!!

So Glad to hear that MIT is giving out decisions smile

Goodluck to everyone who applied and I hope to see you all soon @ Cambridge MA!!

PS - Who else applied from Canada?

Posted by: Ritwik on March 13, 2007

What about all the jews? Why do you have to do it on a saturday? AHHHHHHHHH the wait is horrible, I want you MIT

Posted by: Michael on March 13, 2007

I sort of wish I lived in a part of the world where we would know earlier in the day. like hawaii...it would 7am, wow...

Posted by: Lorena on March 13, 2007

Guh. I hate nerves.

Posted by: 0 on March 13, 2007

Eeeeek.
Four days - I'm going to go to Laser Quest the night (morning) before, to keep my mind off things. What are you guys going to do?

And a pat on the back to anyone, anyone at all, who understands the Elven phrase below.

Posted by: Susan essenya, ohtar meletya! on March 13, 2007

Anonymous at 4:41 PM -

The waitlist was used last year, but not in 2004 or 2005.

Good luck to you all!

Posted by: Keri on March 13, 2007

Mighty ohtar, he who risked his life and his status to retrieve what it was his dieing master wanted. At even his own risk. Mighty Ohtar. Aye, I know what it means.

Im not Just all logic...

Posted by: Lendz on March 13, 2007

Im not Just all logic...

Namarie!

Posted by: Lendz on March 13, 2007

my little brother is already practicing his "you didn't get in" dance for this saturday.....how rude

Posted by: Alyssa on March 13, 2007

rude... at least its your 'little' brother; im sure im going to have to listen to my 'big sister'

Posted by: Lendz on March 13, 2007

Dear Snively

Bombing pretty much means failing miserably, kinda like my Calculus final the other day.

The decisions are mailed out on the 16th. I'm not sure how long it takes to get to Europe, sorry, but they will mail paper decisions the day before the online decisions.

Yep. They figure that if by this point if you're missing anything they won't see it in time. No sense in tracking anymore.

Dear Michelle
Л ?

It's an American thing. We write month/day/year and so on March 14th it's 3/14. . . hence pi day. It's also Einstein's birthday, funny enough, so people just act super geeky on March 14th. Happy day before pi day!

Posted by: Snively on March 13, 2007

To whoever it was who asked about when mailed decisions will reach Europe, I think it would take a few days. Probably less than a week though.

And to whoever asked about the "formula" for getting into MIT. There really isn't any. Everyone who applies probably gets good grades, decent SAT scores, etc. so there really isn't any way to know if you're "guaranteed" to be admitted.

And you know, no use wanting to know the "formula" now. At this point, everything's been sent in and it's out of our hands. And actually, all the decisions have probably been made by now so it's not even in AdCom's hands anymore. Hahaha. All we can do is wait and see what happens!

I still haven't told my parents that decisions are released this weekend. I figure this way it'll be easier to break it to them when I learn that I got rejected. Hahahaha. But really. I just didn't want them bugging me about it... saying "well, did you check yet? did you get in??" Ugh, that's the last thing I need at this time of brain exploding-ness.

Well, less than 4 days to go! Scary! Good luck guys!!

Posted by: 0 on March 13, 2007

I can hardly believe that admissions decisions are here in less than 4 days! It's truly unfathomable. My pulse is pounding as we speak.

Posted by: Marielle on March 13, 2007

Posted by: Marielle on March 13, 2007

Aside from the painstaking anxiety that I'm sure we are all suffering from, it's nice to know the exact date of our decisions.

I wish we could all see each other waiting impatiently in front of our computers at 11:59am Saturday morning. And, for those of you who are planning on waiting for the letters' arrivals, I truly commend your patience, because, honestly, there is no way I could refrain myself from learning of my decision.

Good luck everyone!!

Posted by: Carlos R. on March 13, 2007

A word of advice-- do not, i repeat, do not wander the blogs on this website. i've spent the last hour or so skimming through various articles and its making me want to get in that much more. i don't think i will be able to take the rejection...

Posted by: meh on March 13, 2007

it's too late for me on the "not viewing the blogs" things....i've been hooked for the last 3 months or so....

Posted by: anonymous on March 13, 2007

Confession: I've logged into my MIT decisions account at least 3 times....

Posted by: 0 on March 13, 2007

Will we be able to cross 200 in post # ?

I wish we were getting more admissions updates, but I understand that you guys are working really hard under a lot of pressure.
Look, you're almost done!

Posted by: Karin on March 13, 2007

thanks

Posted by: 0 on March 13, 2007

"If thou art called to pass through tribulation; if thou art in perils among false brethren; if thou art in perils among robbers; if thou art in perils by land or by sea;

If thou art accused with all manner of false accusations; if thine enemies fall upon thee; if they tear thee from the society of thy father and mother and brethren and sisters; and if with a drawn sword thine enemies tear thee from the bosom of thy wife, and of thine offspring...and thine enemies prowl around thee like wolves for the blood of the lamb;

And if thou shouldst be cast into the pit, or into the hands of murderers, and the sentence of death passed upon thee; if thou be cast into the beep; if the billowing surge conspire against thee; if fierce winds become thine enemy; if the heavens gather blackness, and all the elements combine to hedge up the way; and above all, if the very jaws of hell shall gape open the mouth wide after thee, know thou, my son, that all these things shall give thee experience, and shall be for thy good."

As much as I love experience...I pray I don't need to gain any from this.

Posted by: Alex on March 13, 2007

this is the longest week EVER!!!!
decisions - so close, and yet SO FAR AWAY!!

Posted by: theresa on March 13, 2007

Well I'll be at FIRST robotics compeition this weekend... I naturally assume that some others here will be having that same problem! And we don't mind being called geeks because we call ourselves them! smile

Posted by: Ryan Marie on March 13, 2007

Well, I think everyone should chill now (and that includes me, haha)...
You know guys... we've all been thinking too much into the decisions now. Beyond a certain point, it becomes a little disturbing.
So, what I think is, that all of us should relax now... Working on MIT's application already was a big deal, so why not give yourselves a break now?
I've been trying to do the same, but yes, like all of you, even I've not been able to do much about my anxiety...
Decisions are something that we have no control of (atleast not after submitting all the stuff), so I think it would be better if we stopped thinking about whats going to happen, because in no way is that going to help.
So, instead of wondering about whats going to happen, do something creative. Go out for a walk, do some cycling, some jogging, whatever you love most. And if you're too geeky (like all of us in here), why not do some math/physics/chemistry?
Try this.
On a more philosophical note, remember that everything and anything that happens, happens for good.
Cheers everyone.

Posted by: Ashesh on March 13, 2007

AHH, thank goodness I have a science fair and a major physics test to keep me busy in the meantime smile

Posted by: Aditi on March 13, 2007

I seriously want to cross # 200 make 6 more posts to reach 201 smile

Yes, me too. You know you belong at MIT when you do physics problems to take your mind of the whole decisions thing.

Posted by: meh on March 13, 2007

haha i totally know what you mean theresa
longest week ever...

Posted by: i keep changing my name so you wont know i've been on March 14, 2007

198

Posted by: Snively on March 14, 2007

heyy everyone.. i just wanna say stay strong for the next few days. happy pi day!! smile
< 84 hours left

Posted by: ilovepiday on March 14, 2007

199

Posted by: Snively on March 14, 2007

and by 199 I mean 200. . .lol. Wow, that was anticlimactic, sorry guys.

Posted by: Snively on March 14, 2007

Greetings from the United States of America (USA),

This blog is for all international applicants to the Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT). In glancing through the blogs on this page I have noticed that many of you are unaware of a change in the way that time is kept in the USA. As of this year, Daylight Savings Time, what most of the world refers to as Summer Time, started three weeks earlier than it has prior years. That’s right; Summer Time began during the Winter, go figure. Consequently, 1200 Noon Eastern Daylight Time (EDT) on Saturday March 17th will be about 1600 hours (4:00 PM) Coordinated Universal Time (UTC), and the local time in London. Similarly, it will be 5:00 in Paris and Madrid, 6:00 in Tel Aviv, 7:00 in Nairobi, 9:00 in Karachi, 9:30 in New Delhi, 9:45 in Kathmandu, 10:00 in Dhaka, 1200 Midnight in Beijing, 0100 hours (1:00 AM) on Sunday March 18th in Tokyo, and 4:00 in Auckland.

Best of luck to all applicants,
GeorgeO

Posted by: GeorgeO on March 14, 2007

Thank you so much GeorgeO. grin
That was really nice of you to post that message... grin

Posted by: Ashesh on March 14, 2007

i'm from india and wana know how i get admission in undergraduate programe in mit pls inform me at my mail id this is [email protected]

Posted by: pradip kumar on March 14, 2007

For the Mac users amoung us... I made a dashboard widget that does a countdown!

I made two versions. (one for Pacific local time and one for Eastern local time).

www.davidhodge.net/files/MIT Widgets/Mit Pacific.wdgt.zip
or www.davidhodge.net/files/MIT Widgets/Mit Eastern.wdgt.zip

for those that are not in either of those time zones I'm sorry for the lack of dramatic effect, but you will have to add or subtract, time zones will not be automatically recognized...

P.S They are sneakily titled " p/v, sqrt(-1),t " Because my mother doesn't know I applied to MIT, and I dont want her to figure it out when she looks at my dashboard. I figured you guys wouldnt mind if I kept it.

Posted by: David H on March 14, 2007

I keep coming in and reading all these 200+ posts about 3 times a day, each visit lasting for about 2 hours each.

I wish I was confident of being admitted - but atm...

Anyway, happy Whiteday! (for those of you who don't know, it's like Valentine's day but instead of chocolate you get candies from guys. Quite nice, I reckon)

Posted by: Ed also known as Emily on March 14, 2007

check here about this old tradition " Chaharshanbe Suri ".

Posted by: Saman on March 14, 2007

198

Posted by: Snively on March 14, 2007 12:25 AM

Posted by: ilovepiday on March 14, 2007 12:26 AM

199

Posted by: Snively on March 14, 2007 12:26 AM

Posted by: Snively on March 14, 2007 12:27 AM

Thank you Micheal 4 making it happen !

Posted by: The madman who makes people fly aka Captain SS Wan on March 14, 2007

I wonder what the decisions page would look like. Ben said that there wouldn't be any intermediate screen..... so how the screen decision look like......may be for those who got selected it would be something like this:

There's a white screen, the flowers as the walpaper for the background and the word "ADMITTED" would be written on top in big font, and light green color, and with flowers surrounding it.....ha!....so beautiful....then it would be followed by the ususal letter congratualating the applicant...which the applicant would read at least a billion times.

OR..................

A black screen with a skull and bones,as its wallpaper, with the word "REJECTED" written in big nast "blood red color", with blod stains all over the screen, and the word "rejected" would be present on the top of a mountain made of skull and bones, and then (using some java applet) there will dark clouds, and lighting, taking place over the word "Rejected", and then there would be the usual consolation letter written, which no body would care to read. Even if the applicant would try and read it, they wouldn't be able to read it, because their eyes will turn into Niagra Falls.......sob....sob......sob......

I very desperately want to get admitted, I can't face that macabre scene!

Posted by: QuriousQreature on March 14, 2007

QuriousQreature, making your last post makes me laugh now, but I am not at all sure if I will be able to on 17th (or really 18th in Korea.) Whoever you are, good luck! Hope you see lots of flowers on your screen!

Posted by: 0 on March 14, 2007

So it needs your guts to face the monster, just beyond the door.

To Anonymous :
Posted by: Anonymous on March 14, 2007 07:57 AM
Thank you, and may you also see flowers!

QQ come to the chat room

Where is it, give me the link to it, madman

i am so nervous right now. no matter what people say about relaxing, i just can't do it. i haven't had more than six hours to sleep everyday this week, and i got cold sores. the waiting period sucks......

i was supposed to work on saturday, but my boss is going to be out of town....thank god i can check my decision online on time, and get this over with.

Posted by: M on March 14, 2007

What do you do M with a boss?

omfg omfg omfg

Posted by: teh guy who spends most of his day screaming "head on March 14, 2007

Isn't the time used by them equal to the time which appear in our posts? Please answer, it may make it easier to figure out what time it will be on different countries.

Posted by: 0 on March 14, 2007

Hey, does anyone know how many Pakistanis were admitted this year?

Posted by: Anonymous on March 14, 2007

None! We are fearful that our Chief Justice may be removed!!

Posted by: Adm on March 14, 2007

OOps
logged into the online decisions page!
So does that mean i won't recieve a letter?

Posted by: hs on March 14, 2007

no u'll get it

Posted by: 0 on March 14, 2007

1!!!!!!!

Posted by: Anonymous on March 14, 2007

What has some Chief Justice got to do with admissions????

Posted by: Anonymous on March 14, 2007

That was for Adm!

Posted by: Anonymous on March 14, 2007

@madman

u said u were from w.bengal...i kinda figured it was cal u were talkin about....see u on the chat site some time...i see a lot of indians here...phew...n also when i went to DHL to mail my app ...the guy at the counter grinned at me ..."yet another to mit....";)...so i can imagine how many there have been from cal itself....

hey...how many ppl who are giving their board from wb have a prob with the bandh???
i have computers on 16th n this is crazy....although i agree,10 ppl shot dead is an issue...

Posted by: Arwen on March 14, 2007

oooops....sorry abt the triple post i was tryin to correct the "had the counter" thing..."at the counter" is what i meant...
anyway...best of luck ppl!!!!!all of u!!!
gotta go prepare for ISC hindi now.....but can't get my mind off MIT!!!:D:D:D

Posted by: Arwen on March 14, 2007

Question - Is there anything that could affect our admissions decision after it has been decided? I'm not doing so great in my dual enrollment calc 2 class and I am not sure whether I should try to stick it out till the end of the semester or withdraw...

Posted by: Jessica on March 14, 2007

231 responses!!!!!!! My God! That's the largest number I've ever seen (for MIT blog entries, of course). Good luck everyone!

Posted by: Hopeful on March 14, 2007

i cannot cannot let go of this addiction..two days and probably i wouldn't have any reason to come here but i dont want to let go of this ...sigh...sigh......

Posted by: kanika on March 14, 2007

233rd post

Posted by: kanika on March 14, 2007

234th post

Posted by: kanika on March 14, 2007

235th post..im goin maniac...

Posted by: kanika on March 14, 2007

plz accept me i hav lot to do in this world

Posted by: bhushan on March 14, 2007

you know what, lets plan an aniversary... that way, those of us who get rejected, and those of us that get admitted, can come back in 6 months to a year, counsel those that are applieing that year, and get to know how the year went for those who were accepted, and those who wernt. And for all those who will be, just know... theirs always MIT OCW which is just as good... just without the professors. So you CAN still go, just not technichally... Im all for free...

I think ill just log onto myMIT account, that way, ill just be able to tell weather or not the accepted student application is thier... and if its not... ill probobly hope thiers a glitch and check my admissions status via the standard way.

calm... calm... calm... If i get rejected, im going to get 100's on everytest this year... A FACT! and if i get accepted, id probobly do the same... you know... keep MIT's reputation high.

who knows? thiers always EA next year. then transfer after that... or i can just go to the mit campus and pretend im a student... at least in the big classes...

you never know, geniouses tent to overlook the simple things...

Posted by: Lendz on March 14, 2007

I am so nervous....

I hope that I get into MIT, my dream school...

Posted by: glareflair17 on March 14, 2007

lol, I like your predictions. Unfortunately, there are no flowers or skulls. If you're still curious as to what you'll see if you're admitted (assuming it's the same EA as RD) then just click the following link. If you want to be surprised then don't click the link

http://jzzsxm.googlepages.com/MITOnlineDecisionNotification.htm

Posted by: Snively on March 14, 2007

I hope I get in. Good luck to everyone!

Posted by: Andrew on March 14, 2007

If MIT can do EA acceptance TUBES, then they (it?) should also do online decisions on pi day.

:p

Posted by: Eileen on March 14, 2007

Jay Swhat u made

Posted by: 0 on March 14, 2007

hey snively, do you know what a rejection letter looks like? (just preparing for the worst, you know how it goes).

Posted by: 0 on March 14, 2007

to anonymous: they accept around 8 pakistanis every year. I'd say the number remains pretty constant.

Posted by: mR on March 14, 2007

16 frm india

Posted by: 0 on March 14, 2007

The links I posted before for the dashboard widgets didnt work. Try them again now, they should be working.

my bad. Forgot that my server was case sensitive

Posted by: David H on March 14, 2007

@Susan essenya: sorry, I don't understand Elven. haha I'll probably be playing WoW...or KHII...or something. I may go watch "300" again...whooo! And I have an Ultimate Frisbee game that morning too, soooooo yeah. XD hahaha

Laser tag sounds like a good idea though...haha good luck!

@Alex: Where is that from? Sounds pretty epic.

Posted by: Yossarian on March 14, 2007

Just wondering -- when do financial aid notices come out for admitted students?

Posted by: 0 on March 14, 2007

how would we know, none of us have gotten in yet thats why were all here freaking out.

Posted by: 0 on March 14, 2007

I know this is really random, but hopefully this will get our minds of impending doom. My firefox isn't working--theres a pop up that says firefox.exe must close immediately every time i try to open it (IE works fine). I already deleted and reinstalled the program to no avail. Any ideas on what i should try? Again, sorry to encroach on this blog, but i thought what place would be better for computer geniuses?

Posted by: 0 on March 14, 2007

My eyes burn, I think I should start blinking again...MIT!!!, Saturday is going to be life altering to say the least.

Good luck everyone.

Posted by: Daniel on March 14, 2007

That happened to my IE7 a while back. Turns out IE7 isn't compatible with Norton AntiVirus. Perhaps that's the problem?

Posted by: Anonymous on March 14, 2007 06:52 PM

Posted by: Anonymous on March 14, 2007 07:07 PM

Actually, that's not true. Financial aid notices are being mailed on the 16th. . .

Posted by: Snively on March 14, 2007

To Anonymous about the financial aid. They'll probably send financial aid notices with the acceptance packets. I know that's what a lot of other schools do, save on postage and all that by combining everything.

Less than 3 days!!! AHHHHH.

And David H., why didn't you tell your mom you applied to MIT? Then again, I haven't told my parents that decisions are this weekend...

Posted by: 0 on March 14, 2007

Correct me if I'm wrong. They are being sent with decisions, right?

Posted by: Snively on March 14, 2007

I've heard that fin aid will be sent sometime next week--atleast thats according to a friend of mine who got in early action.

Posted by: 0 on March 14, 2007

Michael, aka Snively---You are a pretentious little snot, posting your acceptance letter on the web. If either of my children had posted their EA’s on a web site they would have been paying full freight for their education themselves. I hope the rest of the class of 2011 has more class than you.

Posted by: Anonymous Parent on March 14, 2007

Wow.

....

lolpwnt.

Yeah, financial aid decisions are being sent with your acceptance letter through the mail. I think Daniel Barkowitz, the representative for the Financial Aid Dept. for the blog, mentioned that somewhere...

@firefox anon: Well, if reinstalling it didn't work, that probably means you have some program that's interfering with it. Try running Ad-aware or something. Did you download anything before that started happening?

Posted by: Yossarian on March 14, 2007

Wow. . . sorry if that letter offended you! I'd have posted my rejection/deferred letter if I'd gotten one. If it'll do any good, I'll try to explain myself --

I'm an open-source guy. My belief is that anybody who asks a question should have that question answered as accurately and promptly as possible. I think wikipedia is the greatest invention ever and linux rocks! Any question I know the answer to I try to answer or provide insight to help people out. I hope that other people try to help me when I ask a question.

And so, when somebody asks what an acceptance letter looks like, why say "It's got a cream background with a lot of words and stuff" when you can actually show them? You're cheating them that way.

Posted by: Snively on March 14, 2007

To Anonymous Parent - Snively's not trying to be pretentious or to show off that he got in EA, he was clearly just answering a question. Either way, it seems incredibly immature, and inappropriate for an adult to be calling a teenager they don't even know a "pretentious little snot" on an admissions website. Your comment was the classless one - not Snively's.

Posted by: anonymous on March 14, 2007

@Anonymous Parent. Wow. Harsh. Chill out. A little bitter, are we? He was just answering a question. Yeah, we're all on edge waiting for decisions but seriously, that was unnecessary.

Posted by: 0 on March 14, 2007

Some Anonymous up there asked what the rejection letters looked like -- my guess is that they look exactly the same as Snively's (with different words, obviously) -- it's exactly what mine looked like, and I got deferred.

Posted by: Ginevra on March 14, 2007

Arwen 11 dead actually. and hehe I am suffering that -- my bengali was on 16th -- now shifted to 18th april. and is comp science your additional ie forth sub? mine too.

Where is Mr. Matt McGann? I miss his posts...

Posted by: 0 on March 14, 2007

btw was your ec Tushar suraia?

@snively --- in my opinion, it wasn't a good idea to cover the penis of the sculpter .... it is a bad taste to point out the so called * ________ * -- it's really painful.

btw ... will this cross 300 in # of posts?

this certainly will cross 300, and i'll do all remaining 30 somethingish of them myself if no one else does. lol

Posted by: 0 on March 14, 2007

because I literally live here now

Posted by: 0 on March 14, 2007

Thanks Anonymous on March 14, 2007 09:50 PM

I am so glad MIT is my back up....and I was accepted to my first choice...

After reading all these pathetic posts, I am really wondering if I will be a good fit at MIT. Yikes!!! You should see how bad this looks from here!

Sitting in a classroom with this group sounds like it could be torturous...and I can kiss my social life goodbye.

Posted by: lissa whittaker on March 14, 2007

are ya an EA lissa?

how does it look from waaay up there lissa? just out of curiosity of course.

Posted by: V on March 14, 2007

Anonymous:

Regarding why I didnt tell my mother that I applied to MIT...

She is a college proffessor and has her own business as a college admissions counsellor. She does both very well, but given that she is mother, it was a little hard to deal with. We developed a fitting college application plan that I stuck to. But by the time december rolled around I was feeling "rebellious" and decided to add MIT to (the top of) my list and not tell her. Oh, and I redirected ALL my college mail to my dads house.

Lets just leave it at that.

smile

Posted by: David H on March 14, 2007

Someone has to represent the small isalnd of Jamaica. Oh and this is the first post I ever made on any blog:-D. Very Interesting. Also thank you admission staff for your hard work!!!!!!!!!!!

Posted by: Stephan on March 14, 2007

are ya the sailor 16 in the chat room stephan ??

Posted by: 0 on March 14, 2007

thats awesome david. the less the parents know the better

Posted by: 0 on March 14, 2007

hehe david nice policy.........sad I didn't know it earlier .... *sobs*

Posted by: 0 on March 14, 2007

I just got through reading Ben's post "It's More Than A Job" and I really wanted to say:

Thank you so much for writing this. I was referred to this page by another applicant (we seem to be all huddling up to await the day of truth) in the midst of great anxiety and panic. Honestly, I have to say that if all of the admissions officers felt as you do, I would be able to accept whatever decision came my way with a smile.

Posted by: Liyuan on March 14, 2007

Good Luck!

Posted by: 0 on March 15, 2007

no one has posted for like an hour...just thought i'd keep the ball rolling

Posted by: pstockl on March 15, 2007

hey read this

The World Is What You Like To Think It Is

Socrates was sitting outside of the gates of Athens. A man came up to him and said, “I am thinking about moving into Athens. Can you please tell me what it is like to live here?” Socrates replied, “I would be happy to tell you, but first would you please tell me what it was like in your previous home city?” The man roared, “Oh, it was awful. The people stab you in the back and rob you blind. I am leaving only enemies”. Socrates frowned and continued, “Well, you best be on your way because you will find the same thing here in Athens”.
Later another man stopped to speak to Socrates and inquired, “I was considering moving here to Athens. Can you tell me what it is like to live here?” Socrates asked the visitor: “First tell me, what was it like in your previous home city?” The man smiled and said, “Where i come from the people all work together and help each other. Kindness is everywhere and you are never treated with anything but the utmost respect”. “Welcome to Athens”, smiled Socrates, “You will find the same thing here”.
The world is what we think it is. The outside is a reflection of our inner self. If we look at the negative side of things, then our outlook would be bleak. And if we are an optimistic we would feel that positive things surround us everywhere. The first person had negative traits whereas the second person had everything good to say about his home city.
Most situations in our life can be seen as a relationship interaction, be it a personal relationship such as internal dialogues, or our dealings with a friend, family member, or co-worker. All things around us are merely reflections of our self-emanations. If we learn to live our lives with this understanding, then we have no one to blame for our lives. Usually we want to blame other people and the outside world for everything. The physical world is a projection of our beliefs and feelings which we then think is “reality”. As a man thinks, so he becomes.
To take charge of our lives, we have to go within and become intensely honest with ourselves about ourselves. Start accepting that whatever comes to us comes because we have attracted it with thoughts, beliefs and feelings. We can take charge of our lives by taking charge of our thoughts, beliefs, feelings and tendencies.
Belief is the thermostat that regulates what we accomplish. A person who believes he is worth little, receives little. If you believe you are unimportant, so everything you do has an unimportant mark. As time goes by, lack of belief in ourselves shows in the way we talk, walk, act. Unless we readjust our thermostat, we shrink in our own estimation. And, since others see in us what we see in ourselves, we grow smaller in the estimation of others.
You are a product of your thoughts. When you adjust your thermostat, you move forward. When you believe in yourself, good things do start happening. Your mind is a conception workshop producing numberless thoughts. You have to explore your inner self, “Think doubt and fail; Think victory and succeed”.

so plz stop telling u r waiting fr big rejection letter if it was so u wud hav never applied to MIT

Posted by: bhushan on March 15, 2007

If ya patiently waitin to make it through all the hatin
Debatin whether or not you can even weather the storm
Unless you lay on the table they operatin to save you
It's like an angel came to you sent from the heavens above
Eminem
From the song "Patiently Waiting"
---------------
Jeez...I am feeling like a girl going to get married. Its a feeling similar not same although. There are three possibilities.
1. Under Qualify - I have been replaced by better guys who were perfect for the institute. And lets face it.
2. Over Qualify - Our chemistry didn't work. Or "the match" could not be found.
3. Waitlisted - We are somewhat close to believe whatever you had said, but again, we had found already someone whom we believe to be true.
----------------

I am going to Calcutta on 16th, I love that city.

Posted by: Vishaque on March 15, 2007

Perhaps, that post above is gonna get interpreted as over-enthusiastic, over-optimistic or over-over.s.tic. LOL. Never mind. I just cant help this amusing feeling inside myself. I keep smiling, like dumb. Now I am laughing, as I am typing this. Oh Gawd!! Indeed. They are releasing decisions, day after tomorrow. LOL. Anyway thanks to Michael Snively; since now I know what an acceptance letter is. LOL. Sorry, I just cant help laughing. Sorry everyone. Excuse me.

Posted by: Vishaque on March 15, 2007

Only faith can see u true my friends.First u must hv faith in urself,i.e ur applicatn is competitive.Then dnt panic,just hv faith in God, bliv me He'll tk care of the rest.Peace

Posted by: Ebot on March 15, 2007

true = through

Posted by: Ebot on March 15, 2007

uuuuuuk I can't wait till it reaches 300

Posted by: The madman who makes people fly aka Captain SS Wan on March 15, 2007

Snively,

Thanks for giving us clue of how the admission page will look like. I just logged into my account 2 days ago to confirm my ability to receive online decision, all I saw was a simple page with two lines of text confirming that I will be able to receive decisions. Man , I couldn't make a connection between how an admission decision would be posted on such a dull page.

Anyway, anyone who has page that shows you have been denied?

Did I tell you that this made me more nervous!!

Posted by: Thuita Maina on March 15, 2007

hi everyone..
Good luck you all..
anybody knows how many middle-eastern applicats were admitted if any?
and what time will it be here in the middle east when the decesions are available..

Good luck again

Posted by: Shaima on March 15, 2007

Dear Snively

I think that the parent, who used harsh tone against you, in the post, must not actually have been some parent, rather he/she may have been your rival, who may be highly jealous, because you got into MIT, and probably he/she didn't.

This is quite obvious, because parents, are parents; they are mature enough to understand that any teenager, who gets into MIT, would be extremely happy, and would very gladly show his/her admission letter to others. Moreover, you were just helping QQ, shed his funny preconceived notions. This act full of helpfulness, obviously, doesn't amount to any kind of show-off; you were just gratifying QQ's curiosity!

I am with you!

Posted by: Iftikar Mohammed Chaudhry on March 15, 2007

Guyz continue postingggggggggggggg

I wanna see this cross 300

Come up plssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss

8 more come up come up come up

this one is for u madman. go get some rest.dnt spend all ur day on this blog.tk some nice girl out 2day.

Posted by: Ebot on March 15, 2007

Thanks

Sadly no girl seem to be joining me . boo boo :((((((( I am too unattractive .

296

Posted by: mR on March 15, 2007

297

Posted by: 0 on March 15, 2007

Well, it's only one post, but I'm helping, madman! I know this will have crossed 300 by the time I visit this blog again. (Oh, yeah, and good luck this Saturday!)

Posted by: 0 on March 15, 2007

298

Posted by: mr on March 15, 2007

299

Posted by: blah on March 15, 2007

...and 300!!!

Gerard butler + Frank miller = best thing to happen to visual media EVER!

Posted by: mR on March 15, 2007

rosebud was the sleigh

Posted by: timur on March 15, 2007

People may come to freenode channel #mit

Posted by: 0 on March 15, 2007

please people.. doesn't anyone haveany information about middle-eastern acceptance..
Good luck you all..

Posted by: Shaima on March 15, 2007

its #MIT not #mit.

Join in irc, lets have fun brothers...this is our time now!!...Iam kind of enjoying this 1-2 days left thing, I just love this challenging time, so rise up and show up on IRC.

Remem:

its on freeNode #MIT

Posted by: 0 on March 15, 2007

there r lot of girls joining to me hahaha..........
yipeeee

Posted by: bhushan on March 15, 2007

The posts on this blog are horribly uncharacteristic of true MIT students...

Posted by: 0 on March 15, 2007

*comments*

Posted by: 0 on March 15, 2007

wht do u mean

Posted by: Anony.... 2 on March 15, 2007

hahahahaha i love it thanks to all who made it cross 300 .... for gurls, i love you , sweethearts!

mR,
Every year MIT takes on average three students from Pakistan, excluding the students, who are US citizens or residents living in Pakistan. So, although last year 5-6 Pakistanis got into MIT, but only three were selected among international students, rest all were in the US resident and citizen category.

Posted by: Anonymous on March 15, 2007

Ne idea hw many ppl frm India gt thru?

Posted by: 0 on March 15, 2007

Only a few will encounter the dazzling Light at the
end of the tunnel on Mar 17..For the rest its pitch-black Darkness...Anyways, i would like to wish the best to all applicants..Life is a journey , not a destination.Learn to bear and cope along every major failures headed you way...adios amigo...

Posted by: Farhan on March 15, 2007

the tension is building, I hope I got in...Jesus pls

Posted by: 0 on March 15, 2007

Best wishes --- and heartiest goodwishes anonymous on 031520071102

NERVES! NERVES! Maybe it wouldn't be so bad if I'd managed to get myself an interview...

Posted by: 0 on March 15, 2007

Snively,
Thank god I finally bumped into a linux crazy guy!!
I had been looking for the word Linux all over this place... and trust me, I was surprised not to see any occurrences!!
Linux and open source rocks!! Yay!

Posted by: Ashesh on March 15, 2007

Yossarian:
"Susan essenya, ohtar meletya" means "My name is Susan, a mighty warrior." I like it simply because it is one of the few grammatically correct Elven phrases I know. Most of the time I have to fudge it. So while I theoretically could say something like "Tower under the rising moon" (Minas-nuin-Isthil) it wouldn't be grammatically correct at all. Plus, I have no idea what the rules are for plural vs singular.

Namarie and good luck!

Posted by: Susan the Laser Quest player on March 15, 2007

i hope everyone has already been to http://hacks.mit.edu/, so any ideas how the truck was placed on the great dome without anyone getting to know?( Please correct me if i am wrong in assuming that mit hackers do the hacks without others catching them. another dilemma is -doesn'tthe campus police catch them or are they a part of these schemes as well?)

Posted by: 0 on March 15, 2007

they are part I guess

Posted by: 0 on March 15, 2007

48 hours 32 minutes and 46 seconds from now , my life will change....for good or for bad i do not know..its queer , now that i look back to the day that i started my application ..it seems like a lifetime , hmm..i wasn't even considering applying to MIT because i thought it was too good a place for a mediocre like me..i was randomly going thorugh applications..weighing the pros and cons of applying to each university and estimating my chances..UMich, Pennstate,BITS,IIT(sigh..), MIT? ..MIT??? ..aMMMMMM IIIII Teeeeeeeee??????...

MIT..are tou not in your senses kanika, this place is not for people like you..well,i can atleast see what the application looks like and then i saw the words that read..

" WE ARE A MERITOCRACY..
WHERE WE JUDGE EACH OTHER BY OUR IDEAS, OUR CREATIVITY, AND OUR ACCOMPLISHMENTS, NOT BY WHO OUR FAMILIES ARE ..
WHERE THE CURRENCY IN TRADE IS INTELLIGENCE.."

And then in an almost deranged state of mind , with all five fingers of my hand flip flopping inside my mouth ,three streaks of hair that fell over my eyes concealing my view of the letters on the application and a facial expression like that of an ordinary monk who had just discovered that he is the reincarnation of Lord Buddha,I dropped a tear (why..i dont know)which further blurred my view . .

Rarely does life present itself in a manner as candid as this, rarely does one experience a gush of adrenalin so strong that it gives you the might to surpass all that holds you back and go forth like a knight in shining armour to grab all that you ever dreamt about .

It was a moment for me ..like the dawn of ethereal wisdom..might seem starnge to most but this moment has been my only motivation . I am reiterating this fact for probably a millionth time ..i've mentioned it on my essays , posted on the blogs(and i am doing it again..lolzz)..blah..blah..that , " I had finally found a place where i do not have to be anybody but me , where innovation is not lulled into silence , where i do not have to do things just because they have to be done ..MIT , is my future foretold ..as concrete as reality.."

But , MIT for me is not the destination , rather it will be the most magnificent station(my vocab often fails me when i try expressing what i hold closest to my heart..)in my journey towards my ultimate goal in life , the place that will provide the right propensities for me to planet success and if..if ..(i wish i am wrong ) i do not make it ..life will find its course ..never will i let it come to a halt . It will be traumatic and i know i will cry rivers but amidst all those tears i will search for yet another moment like the one i just described before..and then , i realize that life just presented itself in yet another candid form .

Posted by: kanika.. on March 15, 2007

Good Luck Kani(ka) sorry

and if crying doesnt help in case i am rejected i will seek solace in coldplay, dashboard confessional(vindicated..)..hmmm...besties people!!!!!!!!

Posted by: kanika on March 15, 2007

very sorry kanika very sorry

thnx madman i wish u the same..n jus to confirm are u sammy (the calcutta guy)...well if u want to stay madman until decisions are released its not a problem wid me...besties ...

Posted by: kanika on March 15, 2007

I am kolkatan but not sammy

and pls come and join the whitehatdesign.com/chat

yeah will sure do....madman....

Posted by: kanika on March 15, 2007

we are there now

kolkattan...not studying for boards...okay i can understand ...traumatic state of mind..lolzz...thats why you are wasting your time lounging around at the blogs all day long...

Posted by: kanika on March 15, 2007

Not purely kolkatan......... and feeling all of your pulse whoever is coming..

how am i to join white hat ...where is the registration portal..??

Posted by: kanika on March 15, 2007

Hey guyz talk about hacks me still confused

Posted by: 0 on March 15, 2007

can't figure out...????

Posted by: kanika on March 15, 2007

okay i am there finally...

Posted by: kanika on March 15, 2007

Mad man!!!come back on the chat site.....c'mon i know u dnt have an exam tomorrow!!!!

Posted by: Arwen on March 15, 2007

Campus police aren't a part of the hacks. In fact, a couple of supposed hackers just got caught by the CP a couple of weeks ago and are having charges pressed against them. As for the fire truck. . .

I know that when they did the police car they only had a shell of the car and took it up to the dome in pieces. Apparently there's a trapdoor to the dome and you just slide the pieces through.

Hacks are basically harmless pranks that are designed to look impossible or completely outrageous because MIT is full of engineers that come up with solutions to impossible problems. Cars on buildings, logos on skylights, and countless other crazy-hard tasks. The trick is to just NOT GET CAUGHT!

Posted by: Snively on March 15, 2007

I hope I get in!!

Posted by: Zaeem on March 15, 2007

I love hacks, hacks are marvelously unique and fun... true, the trick would be not to get caught... or... you can be like me, get 7 loyal hackers together... take all trategic places into account, IE the police stations, the campus patroles, and the like... then you pull one GIANT hack with the 7 people, and two incredibly dull hacks with the original 7 who you break up into 2-3 groups, thus diverting all attention from the BIG hack... it would have to have some roman discipline tomake it work... but imagine, an mit student being caught by the police (what you have to ask yourself is, who IS the MIT police?) that seems a little rediculus... but the good hacks are the ones people dont notice unless they think... thus the cops never know... however... its good to leave instructions on how to take massive objects down... as to keep everyone safe.

its the ides of march everyone!

Posted by: Lendz on March 15, 2007

I remember this same time last year... everything was so different. Good luck to all the applicants!

Posted by: Omar '10 on March 15, 2007

besties to alll.................................
hOPE tO sEE U aT MIT

Posted by: bhushan on March 15, 2007

I plan to make (myself) if i get accepted my very own... no wait... whats the use in you knowing before hand? AND another thing hacks teach you is to leave the credit for the hack annonomaus... which i think is pretty nifty...

and freaked out parent: IF you are a parent, be warned NOW that i have dealt with lots of drama queens, and that you should absolutely be ashamed of what you said, I too am open sourced, heck... i put all of my papers, complete with grades and the like online, even my books, I believe linux beats all, i never have bought a book for classes in my life, i always check them out in the library scan them, and use that. Also, i do the same thing with the highly valued instructor solutions manuals to all my classes. I believe i shouldnt have to pay for a damn thing. and that every question i ask should be answered using the services OF something thats free... and when i say free... i mean quality free. I math tutor EVERYONE at ANYTIME for free... i once tutored a person till 2 in the morning on an amtrak buss! So judging by your post, your son was probobly so distraught or something... if he/she (45% of MIT's applicants will be female ) didnt like knowing people got accepted EA then, well... i wont go thier, however... i see nothing wrong with it...

lissa whittaker:

If you get accepted to MIT, i will absolutely never forgive MIT for thier incredible dullness in applicants. Just looking at this pool I see many applicants that will amount to great things, that are going to MIT for pretty much the reasons you have decided to humiliate them. You are now out of high school. This doesnt work anymore. I personally will probobly find ill have more of a social life thier than anywhere else. And if MIT is your back up, well... more the same. you must be a harvey (harvard original).

and these posts, especially the 'silly and pathetic' ones, are designed to take people like me, and you; and turn our mind from the impending judge down the long hall, and distract us, think more injoyable. We have litterally, no lives till saturday at noon.

at which two drasticly different roots could be found, at first during EA it was a x^3 graph with roots at X = deffered X = addmited X = denied
now, we have synthetically devided by deferred and are left with a X^2 polynomial, with roots: X = accepted and X = denied. now, all we are doing is using the Quadratic formula.

with saturday at knoon being the Yintercept...
now all we have to do is figur out which one is imaginary.

(I know I know! imaginary roots come in pairs, just imagine... that this one time, that one is imaginary, and the other is real)

Posted by: Lendz on March 15, 2007

annonymous : nope. There were 8 pakistani citizens at MIT as undergrads last year. US citizens living abroad are included in a separate category entirely. I cant remember exactly where it is, but theres a page where mit lists the student body representation from different countries and states. They have a completely different section in the 'states' section for Citizens living abroad.

Posted by: mR on March 15, 2007

I think mR. your are getting it wrong and counting the total number of Pakistanis enrolled in the uncdergraduate programs at MIT. We are talking about the students who got in last year!!

Posted by: Anonymous on March 15, 2007

Hey mR have you got any idea how many Indians are selected?

Posted by: 0 on March 15, 2007

Usually 6-7 Indians every year...but I may be wrong

Posted by: Anonymous on March 15, 2007

Mr. McGann's absence from the blogging scene is conspicuous... Is international selection still going on?

Posted by: 0 on March 15, 2007

so many posts in so little time. I wonder if anyone's read them all.

Posted by: hmmm on March 15, 2007

I have!

Posted by: Lendz on March 15, 2007

SHOUT OUT FROM CANANDA~ I'm So excited smile

Whatever the Decision:

Chin up, eyes wide open, remember and laugh. Cry and laugh. Tear up and laugh. Always laugh.

Best of Luck Everyone!! smile

Posted by: T.Xie on March 15, 2007

I just finished reading them all too -- :D
Lissa Whittaker:

Many of us consider MIT our first choice and are very tense while waiting for Saturday. The last thing we need is someone telling us condescendingly that we are "pathetic."

We don't need your criticism - we need support and distraction. I think that that is implied from these posts, both in quantity and in message. It is a subtle detail, but noticeable nonetheless.
I would recommend being a bit more sensitive in the future.

Congratulations on getting into your first choice college; I wish the rest of us will have the same level of success on Saturday.

Posted by: theresa on March 15, 2007

8 pakistanis are total undergrads on campus, so an average of 2 pakistanis per year have been aditted in past years....

Posted by: 0 on March 15, 2007

If I get the letter like Snively's, which I believe I will, I don't think I'll be reading anything more than the first line....then I'll be running down the streets tearing my shirt and throwing it in the air...shouting on the top of my voice...let the world know it....will turn my music system to the fullest volume with the most powerful song around...may be any song from Don (I know Matt you hate that song, everybody do, but its high powered kind of thing..)....then I'll call my Physics teacher first, I know he is waiting like anything...then I'll take my bike and have a ride..long long ride with my ipod on....Yes! this will be ultimate...

grin

Posted by: Shoo-in aka Anonymous on March 15, 2007

do you guys think its a serious disadvantage to have not had an interview?

Posted by: 0 on March 15, 2007

@Shoo-in aka Anonymous
What makes you so sure you're accepted? Just wondering, that's all.

Posted by: 0 on March 15, 2007

To the above applicant -- No one is a shoo in, to any school. Even with a moderate to full understanding of how the application review process works, and exactly what MIT (or any school) is looking for, there is still the possibility that they simply do not see in a given candidate what they feel is necessary for you to succeed or contribute to the campus.

Hubris topples all.

Posted by: Yuki on March 15, 2007

and that is exactly what scares me about this whole process

Posted by: 0 on March 15, 2007

hey ben..u look a little like stuart pearce,the current manchester city manager...
BEST OF LUCK GUYS!
PS-lets gun for 500 posts!!

Posted by: crespo on March 15, 2007

Even though I am an acknowledged plus certified Nerd; I think this is becoming more like a epidemic nerd attack.

Why you all....?

For what... ...?

I know, I know... nobody's listening now. And ladies and gentleman he we unravel the difference between imagination and actuality. I missed my train toady so, after typing this, I will go to the station to cancel my tickets. Ahh! I feel so much peace. Why I don't know.
=================================================
To a friend--
7648357
You know what, everybody is getting philosopher+psychologist+metaphysics, teenagers behaving like monks. Christ!! If they are not allowed to be impossible at this age then when? It is becoming a sorry story. They must show they have more nerves, to handle such kind of things. Jessus, if you are cracking at this stage, then how gonna you cope with bigger possibilities. Reading a few books on metaphysics and using them, will not express the quality, that comes form actuality.

Posted by: Nervous Nerd on March 16, 2007

?^

Posted by: Snively on March 16, 2007

34 HOURS 32 MINUTES

Posted by: 0 on March 16, 2007

My Forecast
What the hell does it mean?
==================================================
Some interesting information could come to you from a distant state or foreign country, dear _________. This could induce some pretty deep thinking, leading to decisions that could actually alter the course of your life in some way. You might be considering returning to school and advancing your education. Your mood today should be optimistic and positive, and you could be full of utopian schemes for the future. Wait a few days, then start to make definite plans.

Posted by: This time I'll remain anonymous on March 16, 2007

best of luck to us all!

Posted by: Don on March 16, 2007

Arwen: you should use the world wide web more often tongue laugh

I hope you have a username and password, and if you don't, do as this Ben suggests.
All the best!!

Posted by: Ashesh on March 16, 2007

i remember the stats said 16 indians for undergrad. I'll try to find a link to them again for everyones benefit.

Posted by: mR on March 16, 2007

found it. Although its the number of students who're enrolled into mit. The number of people offered admission is probably a bit higher.

web.mit.edu/registrar/www/stats/geofinal.html

Posted by: mR on March 16, 2007

oh wait... this is the total number of undergrads...sorry, my bad.

Posted by: mR on March 16, 2007

for those who are worried about how many admissions there are from a particular region: dont worry if 60 pakistanis wwere capable of getting into MIT all wud be admitted and if none was no one would. its ur profile and not an international qouta that matters!! same for all internationals, indian etc
well how many are with me for todays hearing???

Posted by: Chief Justice of Pakistan Iftikhar Mohammed Chaudr on March 16, 2007

Your honor, will you come to chat!

Posted by: The madman who makes people fly aka Captain SS Wan on March 16, 2007

Madman!! you are posting too many messages, i may be inclined to take suo motto action against u for wasting ur own time!

It is India time 9:30 PM Saturday night and not 10:30 AM. Remebmer the clock is advanced by one hour in US for day light saving since last week.

Posted by: 0 on March 16, 2007

Oops! It is India time 9:30 PM and not 10:30 PM. Remebmer, the clock is advanced by 1 hour in USA since last week.

Posted by: 0 on March 16, 2007

last post until decisions come out....ppl..swarm in here after dat....bbye..n besties again to alll......!!!!!

Posted by: kanika on March 16, 2007

BEWARE OF Politicians

the poster called kanika is gonna become 1

madman's after politicians....i feel da immediate urge to post ur real name here..madman...

Posted by: kanika on March 16, 2007

Do what ever you like... I don't see any immediate problem

okay..sorry..leaving now...finally ..this one is for sure my last post ..until decisions are out...

Posted by: kanika on March 16, 2007

Again beware of Politicians

Again beware of POLITICIANS

Beware of this madman....

Posted by: 0 on March 16, 2007

People make Ben's posts an arena for vomiting out their frustration...its wrong this way say!!

Posted by: 0 on March 16, 2007

YES beware of me too ... i can bite Anonymous on March 16, 2007 08:18 AM

Well please come to IRC channel #mit on freenode...

Posted by: 0 on March 16, 2007

25 hours 39 minutes and 4 seconds remaining

Posted by: Yet Another Pakistani on March 16, 2007

God bless you all
and good luck

Posted by: victor on March 16, 2007

Help me to cross # 400 here

plz cross # 400 come up

madman has really gone mad....here i am......helping u cross 400

392

Posted by: Snively on March 16, 2007

393

Posted by: Snively on March 16, 2007

394

Posted by: Snively on March 16, 2007

here it goes!

Posted by: Lendz on March 16, 2007

im... im... nervous, yet i know... no, i dont... its all very confusing at the moment, an agitation of some sort... may the luck of the irish be with us! I dont know why i do this, why i wish us all luck, i just know that... i should probobly not, but i cant help it. 1-7, and if one gets admitted... i have to be better than 14...

may the force be with us.

we stand now, an army waiting for our q, i dont know... im scared. of what? rejection... im not sure, im never scared, im always the first one to do the impossible. but can i do this? Can i master the biggest challenge of my life? entering MIT? i sure hope so. if not, then well... ill have some rethinking to do.

to all those that feel the same, this ones out to you.

Lendz.

Godspeed. to us all

Posted by: Lendz on March 16, 2007

WHAO! CANNOT BELIEVE IT? JUST SOME FEW HOURS TO GO AND THE SPELL WILL BE BROKEN. I PRAY AND HOPE MY DREAM COMES TRUE - BECAUSE MIT IS MY DREAM.
THANK YOU GeorgO FOR THE TIME INFOS.
HOPE TO MEET YOU GUYS AT MIT.

GOOD LUCK TO ALL.

Posted by: Chamillioniare on March 16, 2007

Ugh! How to kill 22 hours! *opens Brothers Karamazov*

Posted by: Joseph on March 16, 2007

no clue... but we could always do what we love.

Posted by: lendz on March 16, 2007

now, we wait. less than 24 hours to go. 22.5... gods...

dont mope to long.

Lendz!

Posted by: lendz on March 16, 2007