Chris Peterson SM '13

Mar 13, 2011

Open Thread

Decisions come out in 36 hours, and I know a lot of you may be feeling stressed out right now.

You can use the comments below to blow off some steam with your fellow applicants, on two conditions:

1) don't talk about admissions. this is a safe haven from that. you should not be thinking or worrying about admissions or your application at this point. you can talk about stuff you do that you might have included in your application of course, or what you want to do with your life, and so forth - but don't dwell on the subject. talk about literally anything else, subject to:

2) keep it civil - in tone, in subject matter, etc. we're all friends here.

With that - it's yours.

edit

hey kids - rest assured I'm reading all of your comments, even if I'm not responding as much today as we prepare to send decisions out in ~12 hours. I may close comments later today here, but I want to thank you all for using this as a positive space with your fellow prospectives.

edit 2

comments will be closed here at 9 PM EDT. open threads for admitted / waitlisted / not admitted students will go up shortly before 9:26.

FIIIIIIIRST!!!

I've always wanted to do that!

Posted by: Hesham on March 13, 2011

congratulations!!

Posted by: Chris Peterson @ MIT Admissions on March 13, 2011

I just wanna know.. does all apps get read by someone or just kicked out in the Deal breaker ?

And for Chris.. i really wanted to include about my ex in my app...

Posted by: orangeCookie on March 13, 2011

Best of luck everyone, may the force be with you !

Thank you Chris and sorry for asking such stupid questions frequently, you have been really very helpful smile

I guess this will be my last blog post till decisions, I have my Math exam tomorrow...

Posted by: Shehzad Lokhandwalla on March 13, 2011

seriously? being first is not a big deal, especially on a site like this with not too many readers.

anyway... good luck everyone. fingers are crossed. luckily i have a class trip on monday so i wont be bored in class sitting around only thinking about MIT. Happy Pi-Day eve.

Posted by: Michael on March 13, 2011

Tuesday will be a life changing day or just another day in the year smile

Good luck guys.

Btw, I'm in the mood for a burrito. Seriously.

Posted by: KJ Moon on March 13, 2011

Tomorrow's gonna be a good day regardless of whether I get into MIT or not :D

OGTs (Ohio Graduation Tests) are going on this week, so I get to come in 2 hours later; the Math club is having a pi day party (I'm bringing apple!); we have a meeting for State Science Olympiad where hopefully we'll get everything organized.

I can't wait until tomorrow!

Posted by: Colin on March 13, 2011

^ Oh and before I get corrected, I live in South Korea smile (International FTW) so the timezone is a bit different.

So I don't get to experience MIT's decision on the actual Pi day. Dang.

Posted by: KJ Moon on March 13, 2011

Ditching school to eat pie tomorrow smile

Posted by: Meg on March 13, 2011

burritos own.

We have math training at school tomorrow. Gonna celebrate with my teachers and friends in style - with a decadent turtle pie ^__^

Posted by: Carmela on March 13, 2011

I just want to go for a nice long walk along the sea and just keep my fingers crossed for tomorrow.

Good Luck everyone!!!!

Posted by: Harsh on March 13, 2011

Good Luck everyone!!!!

Posted by: Harsh on March 13, 2011

Good Luck everyone!!!!

Posted by: Harsh on March 13, 2011

the wait is almost over now!
@admission officers: are you guys done with all the app reading and decision making? because you guys deserve a break!must be tough reading ~16000 apps!!

Posted by: bill on March 13, 2011

Maths mentoring tomorrow, making posters about PI

Posted by: ChrisN on March 13, 2011

Regardless of your decision, live long and prosper.

Posted by: Sandro Rodrigues on March 13, 2011

that's the spirit

Decisions are soo soon!
I was wondering if I get a physical letter despite the MIT decisions of Yes or No?

Posted by: Austin on March 13, 2011

I just ate really good ice cream, next week is tech week for my school's musical, and I'm listening to the Black Keys' cover of "Keep Your Hands off Her" by Junior Kimbrough. It's a pretty good day.

Posted by: 0 on March 13, 2011

YUM...PIE...

Posted by: JR '15 hopful on March 13, 2011

agree with Shehzad! And to Chris, thank you again.
I think MIT should run a calling system to encourage not admitted students tomorrow night.

Posted by: Qing on March 13, 2011

@bill: it is ~18000. But I think there will be 2200 admitted students 2011. The number of international applicants may be 4000.

Posted by: Qing on March 13, 2011

Thanks for everything, Chris!

Yesterday, our school had a scavenger hunt, it was awesome!

And tomorrow I'm going to train with my bike all day long (until 9:26, of course), I have a race on Saturday and I need to work out!

Happy π day, everyone!

Posted by: Bertram Peterson on March 13, 2011

This time of wait has allowed me to think deeper about life and determine what is right for myself. To what extent are our personal opinions determined by others? I think that the only way to get nearer to our real, individual, unique set of opinions, is digging deeper by ourselves and trying to get rid of all prejudice imposed by society, as much as possible. Everyone should have their own views on any matter.

Just some thoughts. I think it's better to talk about this at this moment than to mention stressful matters.

Posted by: Jake on March 13, 2011

i dont know if this is the right place to talk abt it, but it might be my only chance to thank people at MIT.... applying to MIT has been wonderful - I MEAN it!
after all these years in school, i got really bogged down thinking abt what I am not and what all i cant do, etc. etc... but, after applying to mit (and reading ben jone's blogs; who, btw, is no less than a (manly) angel *music*) I am finally at peace with myself. Now, I dont compete with others to see who's "better". rather, i appreciate how we are different, but unique in our own ways.... (which is sort of nice)
one can always imporve, but destroying one's personality completely and building a new one is not easy (or possible). to me, it's simply not worth it...
So, while I literally stabbed my application (unintentionally) by not being me, I am all set for the sad news..... but, the point is that if it took a rejection from my dream university to realize that i am good as who i am, then i guess it's not much of a price to pay!
but anywz, thanx guys- chris, matt, ben and all other people who make MIT, MIT.
god bless! (and best of luck to others! :D)

Posted by: P.R. on March 13, 2011

Probably no one is in the mood for it, but
I find that listening to music can really calm you down.

Doing this is proven to reduce stress.
Among my favorite songs, Lotus Flower by Radiohead is the most laid back.
You should all give my method a try and let me know how it went in the comments.

wink

Posted by: Alex Bardasu on March 13, 2011

i dunno, i love radiohead but i wasn't a big fan of this most recent album.

and jake - you may be interested in the study of "hard determinism" within the realm of free will philosophy.

To help ease the nerves, my bestfriend spent the entire weekend with me watching our favorite Disney classics (and yes, on VHS). Nothing like a few princesses to keep my mind off tommorow! Good luck to everyone, I feel so honored to have even made it this far and you should too. smile

Posted by: Stephanie :) on March 13, 2011

I am going out to study now. Applying to MIT is a good experience-let me know many things which I didn't know and make friends with so many good people.
I wish every one can receive a piece of good news. And I really appreciate the short essays by your guys.
America is my new life! I am happy to have my life again. Thank you, god! And all of you.

Posted by: Qing on March 13, 2011

@Chirs: Lotus Flower is how I found out about Radiohead. I have two of their albums, In Rainbows and The King of Limbs. I don't know a lot about their earlier work though, but I think I'll look into it. I really like Radiohead's style.

((: uǝppıɥ sı ǝƃɐssǝɯ uǝppıɥ :ʇuıɥ

reading through the comments reminded me that i wanted to say one more thing before acceptances:

MIT admissions has been one of the best organizations i have had the pleasure of interacting with. all the other schools i applied to have admissions offices that do nothing to alleviate the pressure of applying and in fact make it worse. Over the past 8 months I have read the MIT admissions blog every day (ok maybe not EVERY day but most) and enjoyed all the entries.

Anyway... heres to a great day tomorrow. happy pi day.

Posted by: Michael on March 13, 2011

@ Chris
do you guys work on Sunday as well?
just asking...

Posted by: alan on March 13, 2011

@alex -

try "ok computer."

I was thinking about what to write, and then I said to myself... Why not just try a joke, lighten the mood maybe. Hopefully somebody has some other material, in all probability it will be better than what follows.

Okay, here it is.

So there are two physicists, let's call them Physicist A and Physicist B (PhysA & PhysB for short). PhysA is standing on one side of the Charles River, and PhysB is standing on the other side of the Charles River. PhysA and PhysB start conversing with one another, screaming across the Charles River, until their voices start hurting. Eventually, PhysA calls to PhysB, "PhysB!! How do I get to the other side?" And PhysB replies, "You are on the other side!"

Ha, ha, ha....

Quite profound if one mulls over it.

Posted by: Ben on March 13, 2011

I am still freaked out. I just did a drama for our school (it went wonderful). Now have to delve deep into photography until decisions com out.

Posted by: T.Sh on March 13, 2011

Hi everyone,

Let's not forget those people in Japan and keep our souls with them(We are MIT applicants).
Hi everyone,

<3 Japan <3
Chris, I was recently announced as the winner of a prettey popular competition affiliated to NASA. How can I let you know that?

(I entered my email in this comment)

Posted by: Observer on March 13, 2011

@Ben

I am pretty sure I read that joke with 'blonds' instead of physicists.

Posted by: T.Sh on March 13, 2011

@observer
i'm with you
lets pray for the people in japan and stop fretting over decisions

Posted by: observer2 on March 13, 2011

WHERE IS THE HORSE GUY/GIRL?

I want to buy a horse to ride to cambridge tomorrow...

Posted by: 0 on March 13, 2011

@Chris Thanks, but I don't reject free will, I just think that we have to make an effort in order to exert it. Otherwise, we are acting by inertia to stimuli.

Seeing that we're in the mood for jokes, here goes one, though many of you have probably already heard it.

"A mathematician, an engineer, and a physicist wanted to measure the volume of a cow.

First, the mathematician says: "It's very easy. First we parametrize the shape of the cow, and then we integrate."

Then, the engineer says: "I know an easier way. First, we take a pool, measure the volume of water, then insert the cow, and measure the new volume. Finally, we substract."

Finally, the physicist says "Assume the cow is spherical..." "

Hope it made somebody smile smile

Posted by: Jake on March 13, 2011

@Chris: Thanks. I'll listen to it as soon as I can get my hands on a copy.

@Everyone: Two antennas met on a roof, fell in love and got married. The ceremony wasn’t much, but the reception was excellent.

Chris: thanks for the wonderfully opportune post to talk about random things! And my fellow blog-stalkers, you always make me smile smile I hope I will be your future classmate (if that isn't breaking the post's rules!).

Tomorrow, I am going to bake a pie! And then cut it into the shape of pi >_>

Hooray life smile I agree with Qing from earlier--whether or not I get in, applying alone helped me discover who I am. And that is a great thing.

Posted by: Katie :) on March 13, 2011

Not to violate the post's rules...but I don't think I'll be sleeping well tomorrow night! I'll be getting up early (at 4:26 AM due to the time difference raspberry)

Does anyone have any cool/special/interesting plans to 'celebrate' Pi-Day and relieve some of the potential tension? ^^

Posted by: Jason on March 13, 2011

@alan -

sometimes. but today i'm just stuck on a bus for 5 hours so (between naps) i figured i'd hang out with y'all, my dearest friends

Today, to keep my mind off of admissions, I'm going to build a metal toolbox. And it shall be awesome.

for anyone interested, I will be doing a video blog post tomorrow about admissions, including my reaction to whether I get in or not.

Posted by: David L. on March 13, 2011

@Chris: How about creating a Facebook group or an ad hoc chat room?

Posted by: Alex on March 13, 2011

My friend just posted a hilarious video on my wall. its kinda old so alot of ppl here might have seen it. im going to assume that we cant post links on here so go to youtube and search "i want to be a engineer" its a great video check it out.

Posted by: Michael on March 13, 2011

@ Chris,Urgent question!!! What is the size of the monitor screens u use in MIT admission Office?!!

Posted by: Saeed on March 13, 2011

Been thinking about a couple of research projects I've got planned for college. Gonna do them irrespective of my decision, right? wink Also been working on my video animations to keep myself in practice.

Decision day will be the beginning of a whole new journey, one way or another

Posted by: Vivek on March 13, 2011

@chris
sad you have to work on a Sunday.but i highly recommend that you dont sleep in a bus. i remember waking up once to find my fellow passenger sleeping on my shoulder with his spit all over my shirt.

Posted by: alan on March 13, 2011

So does anyone know what kind of opportunities are out there for someone equally interested in CS and Brain and Cognitive Sciences?
I really wish I could have mentioned it on my app!

Posted by: Pallav on March 13, 2011

@alex -

thought about a chatroom. but too tough to monitor, and there aren't a lot of good solutions for a group of this size that also has sufficient administrative skills.

HEy GuYs, I aM gOiNg To a NAsCar ComPlex tOMorRROW to uNDERStanD STOck CAr DESIGNg, enGinEERinG aND tesTiNG.....I am GoNna hAve FuN With My ScienCE MUseUM TeAm ! ! !111

Posted by: Manu on March 13, 2011

@Chris and alex- we should have had a FB group even if it isnt moderated it wouldnt be too bad. FB chatrooms tend to be self-moderated bc we use our real identities.

I mentioned earlier that MIT had the best admissions office of all the schools i applied to. The only things that EVERY office is missing is good social networking opportunities. There are 0 official FB groups, no office has twitter (which would have been beyond helpful when writing apps) and MIT is the only one with a good blog. Just things to think about. I would guess that im the average teenager and i ALWAYS have facebook and twitter open. (I use a browser called rockmelt which adds social functions into my browser so maybe im on more than other ppl but...) I would guess that most MIT applicants are on the web ALOT and the lack of back-and-forth social network interaction is problematic

Posted by: Michael on March 13, 2011

@Chris

Did you read my comment dear Chris?

Posted by: Observer on March 13, 2011

@Chris: Commenting is ok then.
On another subject: Is anybody at SXSW? I really wish I could be there.

@chris
hey are all international applicants decided?

Posted by: op1 on March 13, 2011

A Joke to lighten the mood

What is the difference between a physicist, an engineer, and a mathematician?

If an engineer walks into a room and sees a fire in the middle and a bucket of water in the corner, he takes the bucket of water and pours it on the fire and puts it out.

If a physicist walks into a room and sees a fire in the middle and a bucket of water in the corner, he takes the bucket of water and pours it eloquently around the fire and lets the fire put itself out.

If a mathematician walks into a room and sees a fire in the middle and a bucket of water in the corner, he convinces himself there is a solution and leaves.

Posted by: Austin on March 13, 2011

Regardless of where I go I know that it will be my capacity to overcome obstacles as well as my hard work that will allow me to become the best possible person I can be. When I finish college I want to go back to my country and become president and help my people progress.

Posted by: Cesar Chavez on March 13, 2011

Woohoo! Level 6-15 on Angry birds!

Posted by: greg on March 13, 2011

bring in π for Calculus tomorrow smile yayaya

Posted by: Angel on March 13, 2011

Hmmm... about pi day... I hate real pie... I know that sounds bad, but its the truth. Regardless of decisions, my day will be good... my cat, Fermi, will be turning two tomorrow and so instead of working myself up over decisions, I am making a cake! yum!

Posted by: Natalie on March 13, 2011

Made this one up, probably not that hard to figure out considering the people here.

A man walks into a bar. The bartender turns around and sees him come in. The man collapses right away and the bartender rushes over to him and asks what's wrong!?
The man replies, I feel like I'm half the man I could have been...

Who is he?

Posted by: Todd on March 13, 2011

I am about to get on a plane for my school's Europe trip. London, Paris, and Barcelona!

Wanna come, Chris? You definitely deserve it after all the hard work. (same with everyone else in the office!)

Thank you!

Posted by: Thomas Zaragoza on March 13, 2011

Heisenberg is out for a drive when he's stopped by a traffic cop. The cop says, "Do you know how fast you were going?"
Heisenberg says, "No, but I know where I am."

Posted by: jokeman on March 13, 2011

A neutron walks into a bar. "I'd like a beer" he says. The bartender promptly serves up a beer. "How much will that be?" asks the neutron. "For you?" replies the bartender, "no charge"

Posted by: jokeman on March 13, 2011

A hydrogen atom came running into a police station asking for help....
Hydrogen atom: "Someone just stole my electron!"
Policeman: "Are you sure?"
Hydrogen atom: "Yes, I'm positive"
Policeman: "Oh, I thought you were just being negative again."

Posted by: jokeman on March 13, 2011

Hey Guys, everyone (well almost everyone)here is talking about how anxious they are about the pie day. You did your best, and God will do the rest. Let's chill out.

Besides I don't think that my dream of becoming the Father of Bio-nanotechnology would be affected by this decision as I'll still carry on to make my dream come true.

Oh, right! Chris! This is VVI!! We don't have to pay for the equipments broken during(....you know), right?

Posted by: Shahariar Hassan on March 13, 2011

Here's another joke to take ten seconds out of your painful waiting:

A physicist, a biologist, and a mathematician are standing outside a building. Two people walk into the building and a few seconds later four people walk out. The biologist gets excited at this sight and exclaims, "They've multiplied!" The physicist replies, "Oh no. It's surely an error in calculation." The mathematician, not paying much attention to their argument, then says, "You know, if two more people walk into that building, it will be completely empty."

Oh and good luck everyone. Eat a lot of pie tomorrow.

Posted by: Nate on March 13, 2011

SEVENTY-FIRST!

good luck all!

Posted by: rfong'12 on March 13, 2011

wow rfong... did you really count?
because I did (quite easy, just count home many times "March 13" shows up) and I'm actually pretty sure you are 71st...

I was all ready to post "71st? no you're not!" and you kinda ruined my plans raspberry

Posted by: nanu (15?) on March 13, 2011

A girl walked in to a bar and asked the bartender for a double entendre.

So he gave it to her.

Posted by: 0 on March 13, 2011

I was worrying about decisions but I don't care about that anymore because I just found that my Calculus teacher is baking pies for everybody for pie day!!!! YES!!! WOO! (just in case you haven't figured it out yet, i like pies :D)

Posted by: ebs on March 13, 2011

75th post!! yes!

Posted by: ebs on March 13, 2011

Everyone talking about pie is making my mouth water!
I can't eat pie because of all the work I have to do the next couples of days....well, I guess I'll still make some time for the decisions, just to confirm my suspicions, and there's no way I'm getting upset if I get rejected, I have an astronomy olympiad coming up ! And it's bound to be fun :D

Well , I might as well say it now : MIT has the best admissions blogs and admissions process in the world , there's no doubt about it, I learned more about myself than I ever could had I not applied, I confided in MIT things that I couldn't tell anyone before, and now it feels like I've got a lot of heavy things off my chest....Thank you MIT !!!

And Good Luck to everyone !!!! We're all going to be great people , MIT or not , because we have dreams that are harder to shatter than diamond wink

Posted by: Shahriar on March 13, 2011

http://www.minecraft.net/

Hey decisions people, this is a great way to get your mind off things, while I perfect my essay for english my "favorite" class.

Posted by: Mohamad Mohamad on March 13, 2011

Good luck everyone. Out of pure curiosity and chance, I applied to see if I could get in (more of a personal thing than a family/school influenced thing), and, though I doubt I will, at least the blogs and MIT atmosphere kept the mood really chill and friendly.

Class of 2015!

btw Someone posted earlier that music calms him calm. I completely agree with him. Try house music like Afrojack; that works with me (Radiohead is awesome, too). ^_^

Posted by: Sadia on March 13, 2011

I want to wish everyone all the best for tomorrow from the UK,

In my life, I want to be part of the movement which industrialises nuclear fusion. In my view and from our current scientific understanding, it is the only long term sustainable energy source for our civilisation and the only way to allow every human being on the planet to equitably have access to energy.

Whether or not I get the decision we are all hoping for, I am sure that I will encounter many of you in the future, whether that be on the technical side or the policy making side, in making commercial nuclear fusion a reality. This is what I'm really passionate about!

All the best for tomorrow and don't let the decision change who you are or what you want to do with your lives. We are all talented individuals and will make our mark on the world, no matter which Institute/College/University we go to.

Jason

Posted by: Jason Parisi on March 13, 2011

i definitely agree with the minecraft link!

also i'll be reading all of your comments but may not be responding as i run in and out for the rest of the day. but i'm glad you're all having fun smile

Teacher baking pies for students? I wished that happened in my school sometime.

Still, I have never eaten pie or a burrito, and I've always wanted to have a bite of these. If I get into MIT, I'll hopefully have that as well.
I won't talk about decisions, but my ear's been affected with a fungus, I've applied medicine and the pain has started to deteriorate now, but the medicine (ointment + ear drops) is such that it blocks my left ear completely, I only hear with my right ear, and its a bit hard adjusting to that.

I'm passing my time with music, and electronic music is the way to be. I'm really excited for decision day and I hope Allah smiles on us. I don't think I'll be waking up like an insomniac on decision day constantly hitting on the decisions site. I'll have proper sleep and follow my routine cause as Sandro Rodrigues said "Regardless of you decision, live long and prosper" :D

@Chris -- I heard Jason Derulo came to MIT recently. So has there been big college gigs in MIT or nearby like that. If so, try convincing and bring Daft Punk to MIT. (They're 2 awesome "robots" making awesome music and MIT is synonymous with advanced robots so it'll be a "winning" situation I guess)

Posted by: Murtaza Ali Khan on March 13, 2011

75th post!! yes!

Posted by: ebs on March 13, 2011

I'm not religious, but I still appreciate those recomforting religious comments.

Here's another joke. A physicist and a mathematician attend a conference. The speaker is describing space in 5 dimensions. The physicist is suffering, while the mathematician seems to be completely relaxed. After the conference, the physicist says: "Wow, I can't imagine space in 5 dimensions. How can you understand?" The mathematician replies: "It's very easy. I just imagine the space in n dimensions, and then take n=5."

Posted by: Jake on March 13, 2011

Thank you for this chance, Chris smilesmile

Thats the spirit that we should always have and the jokes are really funny especially the one regarding "assume that the cow has a spherical shape haha!". Moreover, I can say that Electronic music really calms me down !

I hope tomorrow would be a great day for all of us and the pi would be sweet !!

As for now I am enjoying this amazing and creative chain reaction. Although its an old video but you all need to see this
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B2FtdkGmjMQ

Posted by: Hisham7 on March 13, 2011

Relax, everyone.
And... enjoy -- a gift from me to my fellow applicants (and the Internet in general):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0MqGIoxZasQ

Posted by: Master Steelblade on March 13, 2011

While we're all posting cool videos, this is one I've always thought to be really cool

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9Cd36WJ79z4&feature=related

Posted by: Colin on March 13, 2011

Less than 28 hours left!

Posted by: waiting on March 13, 2011

I am going to Disneyland on Wednesday!!!! Regardless of what happens, I will have fun this weeks!!! Happy Pi day!!!

Posted by: Kristine on March 13, 2011

I made a pi pie!!!!!!!! One more thing checked off my bucket list smile

Posted by: Laura on March 13, 2011

Thank you for remembering friends from Far-east. Your good wishes and prayers are helping us here in Japan. We will be hearing from MIT a day later on March 15. So today, pi day I will try to make something like a pie for my daughter!
Those who are getting worried about the pi-day, I would like to say that with what is happening around here -reading blogs is soothing for us and helping us take our mind off the disaster.
Happy pi-day and good luck from the land of rising sun!!

Posted by: ThumbsUpToLife on March 13, 2011

Any other redditors in the applicant pool? We should get some conversation going on over at /r/mit :]

Posted by: Anthony on March 13, 2011

Have a few science jokes:

Argon gas wafts into a bar. The barman says "We don't serve your kind here!" The argon doesn't react.

Johnny was a chemist's son,
Johnny is no more;
What he thought was H20
was H2SO4.

If you're not part of the solution, you're part of the precipitant.

Ohm never forgot his uncle's dying words: "With great power comes great current squared times resistance..."

Posted by: David L. on March 13, 2011

From the Philippines! I just wish everyone's okay. I would be one of the few who would get the results not in pi day. (15 Mar; I'm having my pi day now.)

Having said that, I'm gonna wake up late for that day. :D

Posted by: Kurt on March 13, 2011

No matter if I get in or not. I'm always going to be thankful to God. God, you lead my life. If I don't get in MIT, I know you have something much better for me. Thank you for being always with me.

Posted by: SarahChoi on March 13, 2011

Got my dream date to prom already smile
Getting into MIT will be an awesome bonus to my already great 6 day weekend
@ SarahChoi - I agree fully with what you said.

Posted by: Christian ('15?) on March 13, 2011

Hello to this class that I'll never get to see in the fall!

"Argon gas wafts into a bar. The barman says "We don't serve your kind here!" The argon doesn't react."

FACEPALM. omg. it's so bad it hurts.

Posted by: oasis '11 on March 13, 2011

My father's birthday on the 14th
some physics tests
spiritual direction for my friend

Singing "live high" to the parish priest for his ordination anniversary (same year as my birth)
followed by a feast

Best of all, candles and incense in the Solemn mass, Lent is mysteriously joyful, amid all the fasting

Beware the ides of March (21:26H is morning of the 15th for me) -The Tragedy of Julius Caesar

Posted by: 0 on March 13, 2011

http://www.timeanddate.com/counters/customcounter.html?day=14&month=03&year=2011&hour=22&min=26&sec=00&p0=45

countdown :D
it's in brazilian time, but the remaining time is, of course, the same

Posted by: Fábio Gelbcke on March 13, 2011

A day's break from school !!! Finally!!!!
I will spend it fruitfully at a movie hall watching Rango and The kings speech back to back.

Posted by: yetanotherhopeful on March 13, 2011

MIT word verification trollin me haha:

http://img191.imageshack.us/i/mittrollin.png/

Hey, good luck everyone! Was anyone at the NYC FTC Championships yesterday? I was just curious.

Posted by: justcurious on March 13, 2011

A Hundred and FIRST! See, regardless of the number of people who read these blogs, I have *never* been first. Still hopeful!

In other news, its pi day out here!!! But I wonder why nobody I know seems to be as excited as I am...

Posted by: Nikita on March 13, 2011

Reading through these comments I wish the site had a Like button smile

I am listening to Fix You on repeat while watching basketball and screaming at the screen to relieve my nervousness. This will be a long day.

Posted by: Quynh on March 13, 2011

I played MapleStory and tried to fix my guild (ever since the huge guild hack in 2008) with the guild revamp patch. Can't wait to get back to old times with friends questing and fooling around.

Remember, no matter what happens, the things you love and enjoy will always be there!

Posted by: Andy on March 13, 2011

A scientist walks into a bar and says, "I want some H2O." Another says, "Oh, I want some H2O, too."

And he dies.

Posted by: Yongxing on March 13, 2011

@Chris: I just came to know that Clay Mathematics Institute is in Cambridge! (nowadays, anything with the words math, Cambridge, MIT, research, even brass...in the same sentence thrills me completely) So, I guess you know about the The Millennium Problems...Have MIT students ever collaborated with the mathematicians at Clay Math to try and solve them?

Posted by: Nikita on March 13, 2011

Any chance we could see some statistics before teh individual decisions come out?

Posted by: Anonymous on March 14, 2011

Hey guys!

I know I'm a tad bit late....but good luck today!!! (Can't believe it's already the 14th). It's midnight here in Chicago, and I cannot sleep.

Reading all of these comments just made me smile smile

To the people who (in like 20 hours) are going to open their account and see an acceptance letter: Congratualtions! You all deserve it, and I am genuinely happy for you smile

To the people who might see an opposite outcome: Congratualations to you too. I have no doubt in my mind that all of you are going to have a wonderful and successful college experience, no matter where you go. Want to know how I know this? Because the people on this forum, and the people who apply to MIT, are so unique and, dare I say, awesome that they can make the best out of any situation. So everyone, keep your chins up, smile, and realize that life goes on. I know all of us want to go to MIT, and some of us think that not going to MIT is the end of the world; but, don't let a rejection from one school keep you from achieving your life goals.

A college doesn't define the students. It is the students who define a college.

Good luck today everyone!
may the gods of pi be with you

Posted by: Anon (15??) on March 14, 2011

Just 20 hours left! I'm so anxious and excited! Hope we are all part of Class of 2015! See you at 9:26 pm!

Posted by: Lucas Freitas on March 14, 2011

Happy Pi Day, everyone.!
It's finally here.

And just for the record, only 20 hours left.!
raspberry

Posted by: Prince on March 14, 2011

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eSMeUPFjQHc

Posted by: Narik on March 14, 2011

To elaborate upon the video above: "winter" serves as an elaborate metaphor for the stressful time we're going through right now. If we believe in the magician's magic and the power of robot unicorns, we'll all "live in hahmony hahmony OH LOVE"

Posted by: Narik on March 14, 2011

Are you also from brazil?

I really want to write these words before the decision comes out because maybe at that time I will not have enough spirit to do so anymore. :D
- I deeply thank MIT for showing a brand new world to me. After months stalking MIT website, I have understood many things new, different perspectives, different opinions from other great people and even from inside my own self. Therefore, no matter what the decision is, I just want to say "Thank you MIT for everything" :D
- If I'm admitted, it will be the best thing has ever happened to me. If not, it's okay 'cause I will have a huge new motivation to keep me going on my own way - the motivation to succeed someday and tell MIT that "Hey, you guys made a mistake".
P/S: anw, still hope that I dont have to say that raspberry

Posted by: Tung Pham on March 14, 2011

Hey!
My elder brother attended MIT and I wish I continue the legacy. smile. I love it so much. MIT, you are my dream, my love, my life. Even if I don't get in, I'll be so happy... you know why? Cuz I know I can still try for my Masters!!! :DDD

Best of luck, everyone! In agreement with the comments above: have faith in God.

Posted by: Namrata Narain on March 14, 2011

Greetings from Japan... eating pie right now as we speak smile
I have to say... experiencing the recent earthquake has really put things in perspective now.

No matter what happens tomorrow, I'll still be thankful for all the things that you usually take for granted, like having a roof to come home to and electricity.

Organizing and helping out with disaster relief has helped pass the time too.

Posted by: Ryan on March 14, 2011

School is cancelled, Bahrain has turned into a mini-warzone and tomorrow is D-day: life's great. Sixteen hours to kill; pie anyone?

Posted by: Sandwich on March 14, 2011

http://www.reddit.com/r/Music/comments/fy6gz/well_its_official_ive_not_got_long_to_live_so/ Really good music to take your mind off of decisions. Many of the songs are quite cathartic, couple that with a sad story you'll be happy you clicked the link.

Posted by: Jared on March 14, 2011

My decision's going to come out on the 15th ..but have so much work to do I really can't find much time to be anxious or anything...I'm not having pie today....sadly, that's not something people usually know how to make in their homes in my country. News about Japan made the front page in newspapers here today yet again, I feel so sad for them...I really wish they find safety, peace and that they can recover from this as soon as possible...may Allah help them, and all I can do now about decisions is to have faith in Allah .....

Posted by: Shahriar on March 14, 2011

Looking at all the comments, I just feel so happy that I applied to a college to which thousands of awesome people allied to. Just being a part of this race is satisfying (though not nearly as satisfying as winning it wink ).

No matter what admissions letter flashes before my eyes, I know that it's for the best. I hope I do get in, and hope that many of you do as well.

BTW, 15 hours left! smile

Posted by: Surya ('15?) on March 14, 2011

remember guys, to have fun today! this is gonna be an awesome day, no matter what the outcome will be. grin

Posted by: Dimitris( 15?) on March 14, 2011

How long do the decisions remain online? I don't think I'll be able to check mine until Friday O.O

Posted by: I am a horse on March 14, 2011

My husband spent 13 years total at MIT and I spent 9 of them with him in Boston. Now my awesome daughter is waiting for 9:26 like the rest of you. The stress of striving to get in to a school like MIT is so much greater than I had imagined. I want to tell all of you that no matter what happens the fact that you have even considered attending a school like MIT speaks volumes about you. Your past efforts to be the best you can be in school will serve you well at MIT or at another great school. I have enjoyed reading your posts and wish all of you the best. I sincerely hope that each and every one of you is in the class of 2015 with my daughter. Good luck and I guess I need to get a pie in the oven!

Posted by: noname on March 14, 2011

the best part of this thread is the fact that people from all over the world are commenting.
WOW MIT. You change people even before taking them in.

Posted by: 0 on March 14, 2011

Good Morning everyone!

Posted by: AnonNoob on March 14, 2011

Happy Pie day Everyone!!! Eat pie, dream high!!!!

Posted by: Shahariar Hassan on March 14, 2011

13 hours.
My anxiety has never been at such a high!

Posted by: I am IN on March 14, 2011

MIT or not, I'm gonna sail the Grand Line and be King of the Pirates!

Posted by: Monkey D. Luffy on March 14, 2011

I'm on Spring Break right now, and as President of my school's Math League I was sad not to have school today...my friends all think I'm weird haha
My recommendation for distracting yourself from the waiting? Watch Inception smile

Posted by: Beth on March 14, 2011

So, I skipped school so I could get things done and not stress over my decision tonight...Ive found that terrible movies really help to lighten the mood.

I hope just like the rest of you that I get in, and I'm surprised nobody has said they would be happy with being wait-listed. I'm trying to be positive but realistic, so thats all I'm hoping for or else I'll be devastated when I'm denied- but who knows, I may be the first person from my school to get in, second to go to such a highly ranked school.

And there is 746 minutes until decisions are released on the East Coast :D

Posted by: Shane on March 14, 2011

"There is a light in this world- a healing spirit more powerful than any darkness we may encounter.

We sometimes lost sight of this force when there is suffering, too much pain.

Then suddenly the spirit will emerge through the lives of ordinary people who hear the call, and respond in extraordinary ways." -David McNally (The Power of Purpose)

Where ever we end up, change the world! Good luck and Happy Pi Day!

Posted by: Rachael on March 14, 2011

Oh hell. I thought the decisions would be online at 09:26 AM. Guess I will just come back twelve hours later.

Posted by: Luis on March 14, 2011

no one from MIT checked my link included in the application. i just checked my Google analytics account.no visits from Boston-Cambridge. i am sure that i have been rejected.
feeling hopeless and helpless

Posted by: anonymous on March 14, 2011

About 12 more hours... I think it's going to last forever until I remember thinking the same thing back in January, and now that seems like just yesterday.

Thanks MIT for a great journey. Even after my decision tonight I won't be sorry I applied; how can I when I see all these awesome people on the blogs and elsewhere who also are MIT hopefuls?

Posted by: Phoebe on March 14, 2011

11 hours, 50 minutes!! Also, happy Pi Day everyone!!

Posted by: Corey on March 14, 2011

Don't be hopeless and helpless anonymous. You will go to a great school. You may even get in to MIT even though they didn't look at your Google docs. This process really does stink. Be with friends and or family tonight and know that you will have a great life even if MIT is not part of it.

Posted by: noname on March 14, 2011

These 11 hours seem to be longer than those seven months that I put into my application to MIT.

Posted by: 11 Hours on March 14, 2011

To >48To >48<185 Being unkind when people are hurting and anxious is not helpful or funny.

Posted by: noname on March 14, 2011

Good luck to all !!!!!! Let's see if all the hard work payed off. But regardless I will continue........

Posted by: Joshua on March 14, 2011

No electricity here. But still looking forward to the results smile

Posted by: Pulkit on March 14, 2011

It's finally pi day!
11 hours and 22 minutes until we find out the course of our futures... All of us will be awesome wherever we end up, but somehow it's really hard not to fret.
I'm going to go distract myself with math and coldplay :D

Posted by: chy on March 14, 2011

@anonymous
I wouldn't be surprised if an anonymous proxy was used to look @ your online stuff/docs

Posted by: 0 on March 14, 2011

@anonymous google analytics works on JS and cookies not ip address...

Posted by: anonymous on March 14, 2011

@anonymous
google analytics works on JS and cookies not ip address...

Posted by: anonymous on March 14, 2011

I am on a movie watching spree.Saw 7 in last 2 days..wooh..visited a few family members.Trying my best to keep my mind off decisions for sometime.They will come when they have to..

Let's be united to provide any kind of help we could provide to Japan.Anyone interested can email me at [email protected] so that we can further discuss things about it,doesn't matter at a small scale.Every big thing starts from a small achievement.The world is helping,it's our duty too to make some contribution.

Gud luck everyone!! Chillaxxxxxxxxxxx and a very happy pie day.

Posted by: Bhaskar on March 14, 2011

Hey Anony,
Sorry to hear that !
@Other Anony - Even if a anony proxy was used, some stats would have been visible.

But do not worry, many people have faced a similar situation, you can read the other blogs.
Even though my webpage was viewed, it was viewed for only a few seconds.
Maybe much stress isn't being given to links and external pages.

Give up hopes, we must not !

Posted by: Yoda on March 14, 2011

Let's lighten it up a bit

watch this ->

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FL7yD-0pqZg

Posted by: Paul Kimmmmm yoo on March 14, 2011

Let's lighten it up a bit

watch this ->

Here in India its 2015 hours.And by the time we 20-something(as in number of people) Indians receive our decisions(and also people of other eastern countries,no malice),it will be the Ides Of March!
(oooh,,, history)...Pi or no Pi.MIT still gives it on a historical day!
Good Luck Everybody!!!!

Posted by: koho on March 14, 2011

@yoda
thanks
but i had a national award winning invention on my link. assuming the'll check i didnt even send in the design as a supplement.
im feeling so bad

Posted by: anonymous on March 14, 2011

@anon -

As I've said, some of us in the office have javascript disabled; I wouldn't let it trouble you.

Posted by: Chris Peterson @ MIT Admissions on March 14, 2011

I've eaten so much pie today!!! but its still a good holiday

Posted by: ANNIE!!!! on March 14, 2011

Good luck for everyone! =D . I will apply in two years.

Posted by: Luiki on March 14, 2011

@anony I just had a talk with the office of admissions regarding the review of the links.They said that they committee does it's best to review each and every information provided by the applicant but can not guarantee that they will be positively reviewed.So don't worry,the officers are really expert in this.

*May be they would have seen your docs stealthily*.hehe.Be positive and never give up !!

Posted by: Bhaskar on March 14, 2011

It's crazy to think that in 12 hours I'll finally know if my dream will become reality! If not I'll have to find something else to dream about...

Wanted to say thanks to MIT for having my interview and organizing the online webcasts throughout the application process and having this great blog of course. It has helped me a lot:)
good luck everyone.

Posted by: Lillan on March 14, 2011

- disable google analytics - not rocket science people....
http://tinyurl.com/6bqxf3f

Posted by: 0 on March 14, 2011

good luck everyone.

Posted by: Lillan on March 14, 2011

@ chris
thanks sir. that explains a lot!!

@ bhaskar
thanks.. and sorry you had to call the admission office.appreciate your concern

anyways im watching TV right now and solving puzzles on brainden.com. enjoy ever1! before the decisions come out

Posted by: anonymous on March 14, 2011

good luck everyone.

Posted by: Lillan on March 14, 2011

@anony It's okay.Even I am scared,heart punding like anything.Never felt so before.Damn.Enjoy

Posted by: Bhaskar on March 14, 2011

Two mathematicians were having dinner in a restaurant, arguing about the average mathematical knowledge of the American public. One mathematician claimed that this average was woefully inadequate, the other maintained that it was surprisingly high.

"I'll tell you what," said the cynic, "ask that waitress a simple math question. If she gets it right, I'll pick up dinner. If not, you do". He then excused himself to visit the men's room, and the other called the waitress over.

"When my friend comes back," he told her, "I'm going to ask you a question, and I want you to respond `one third x cubed.' There's twenty bucks in it for you." She agreed.

The cynic returned from the bathroom and called the waitress over. "The food was wonderful, thank you," the mathematician started. "Incidentally, do you know what the integral of x squared is?"

The waitress looked pensive; almost pained. She looked around the room, at her feet, made gurgling noises, and finally said, "Um, one third x cubed?"

So the cynic paid the check. The waitress wheeled around, walked a few paces away, looked back at the two men, and muttered under her breath, "...plus a constant."

Best of luck!

Posted by: Jacob on March 14, 2011

@Shane
Hey I found your post. I opted to go to school, and so far it's been the longest day ever. I really do hope we both get in, even though you probably have a better chance than me. Cheers.

Posted by: Richard on March 14, 2011

Applying to MIT has been a long journey for me, in which i learned a lot about myself and....i know i have changed in many ways. Surely i want to get in that amazing college but really MIT cares so much for its students that i wish i could just thank you all amazing people working so hard on our applications smile
had my maths exam today...am now going to spend the entire night listening to songs....anyone here a coldplay fan?

Posted by: Aishwarya on March 14, 2011

Maybe Chris is right !

Don't let it bother you, it will just spoil the "sport"

Posted by: Yoda on March 14, 2011

Big, big thanks to the admissions office. For a person who does not know many people who have applied to USA, filling the applications by myself was rather difficult. Yet to get answers for any question within a few days made the life so much easier.

Even if I do not get accepted I will always remember how I did the SAT test in Estonia.
I had only one suitable date remaining but I could not register any more so I wanted to be the first on spot. So I travelled to the city where the test took place. Falling a sleep at 3 o clock at night. Waking up at 6 o clock. Then found out that buses do not travell so early. Walked with a huge pile of bags some 5 kilometres from a motel to the city with a fast base. Then got lost. Finally reached the building sweating all over and nervous as hell just to find that I was far from being the first person there and thus sayed to myself better luck next year. To my surprise I was able to do the test. Although the results I recieved for language part were awful in my mind I am hoping that other things in my app showed that I am not a moron in English language.
Just amazing what people are ready to do for applying to MIT smile

To all you folks out there who are very nervous for a reason I can not mention in this forum.

I might be able to suggest an innovative cure. Choose a very difficult subject like complex analysis or tensors or quantum mechanics and study it.

I have been doing it for a while and I think I have got rid of the bug.
Huge collection

http://www.e-booksdirectory.com/mathematics.php

That was a mammoth post.

Posted by: Andres on March 14, 2011

@anon

regarding javascript being disabled being a reason that your tracker recorded no hits from MIT:

You could have used piwik like me. It has both a javascript tracker and an image tracker. I used both. I placed the image tracker inbetween tags.

Posted by: anon01134 on March 14, 2011

Oh!gosh...the D-Day or rather the pie day has finally come...can't believe myself...lots of tension but a tiny hope persisting inside me. Last of my school exam too...very excited as of now!:)

Posted by: Shirsa on March 14, 2011

ahhh well.....i dun get the results on pi day....:(:(

Posted by: iamwhtiam on March 14, 2011

@Andres
I'm very happy to see someone shares my method of dealing with stress.
Last night I told my dad I was getting stressed out and was going to read.
He came into my room and saw me reading Basic Laws of Electromagnetism by IE Irodov and said " I thought you were stressed out"

Posted by: yetanotherhopeful on March 14, 2011

I am actually new to using a pseudonym.
Another first in my life. All thanks to MIT.
The whole application process was amazing for me(decent SAT scores boosted my morale)
So I want to take the oppurtunity to thank the MIT admissions team for doing such a kick a** job the admission process.
I'd definitely love to be at MIT and am looking to find a letter of acceptance in another 8 and a half hours or so.
All the best to all the applicants too smile

Gd luck everyone
i want to share with you a song i have been singing often recently. It's 'I believe I can fly' :
if i can see it, then i can do it
if i can believe it, ther s nothing to it smile

Posted by: SD on March 14, 2011

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=08Wbh6HOWwA

Although the lyrics doesn't make sense....

Music is good !

Posted by: Stan Marsh @ South Park on March 14, 2011

an old one...

Bono is at a U2 concert in Glasgow when he asks the audience for some quiet.

Then in the silence, he starts to slowly clap his hands.Holding the audience in total silence, he says into the microphone:

"Every time I clap my hands, a child in Africa dies."

A voice from near the front pierces the silence:

"Well, stop ****in' clapping then!"

Posted by: 0 on March 14, 2011

A hummer boy wants meat... And the snow caps follow. Have a wonderful turbulence within.

Posted by: Tyrone on March 14, 2011

T minus 9 for ppl in Bangladesh.....good luck everyone smile

Posted by: FarhanN5 on March 14, 2011

@Aishwarya
You in India??

Posted by: Shekhar on March 14, 2011

nurturing passive aggressive antiestablishmentarianism with NOFX. "Whatever, I dont care." say I, but deep inside i know i do :(

Posted by: Asad on March 14, 2011

In honor of Pi day, I was wondering what everybody's favorite pie is.
My favorite pie is definetly homemade apple pie!
It's Pi!

Posted by: Austin on March 14, 2011

@Andres - That was a truly inspiring story. I'd share mine too but its 2am here and i should be sleeping!!!

All the best to everyone! smile

Posted by: thethinker on March 14, 2011

All the best to everyone! smile

Posted by: thethinker on March 14, 2011

Greetings Everyone,
Stressed out over today, I created a C# based desktop widget that counts down to the time of decisions. I would share it with everyone, but it's an executable. oh noes!

@Chris
I've been listening to Radiohead for the past two days. In Rainbows, OK Computer, and Kid A are great albums for stress relief.

Godspeed, everyone. I'll always love you MIT.

Posted by: Kenny Smith on March 14, 2011

apple pie is too sugary, i have never finished a whole piece.
however, my favorite pie is chicken pie and i was wondering is there anything like chocolate pie.
cause, "chocolate pie" would be the bomb.

Posted by: Worgus on March 14, 2011

@ Shekhar...yes....from india...you too? which city?

Posted by: Aishwarya on March 14, 2011

Me too...
New Delhi
Where are you from??

Posted by: Shekhar on March 14, 2011

Am from lucknow.....hmmm.....T minus hour....

Posted by: Aishwarya on March 14, 2011

@Kenny: just post source code, everyones got a compiler. cant be that long, besides, we already have loads of massive posts

Posted by: Asad on March 14, 2011

I just got my wisdom teeth removed.
...Do you understand the weight of that?

I CAN'T EAT PIE.

Posted by: Shimul on March 14, 2011

An American staying up till 2:26am in Germany for this decision. Thank goodness for the recent time change in the US, or I would've been up till 3:26 am.

I thought about sleeping and waking up at 2, but I know I would never be able to doze off with this much anxiety infiltrating my body. I woke up every hour last night with recurring dreams (and nightmares!) about the MIT decision. So dramatic, I know. But I can't help it.

Anyways good luck to everyone. Remember that everything happens for a reason, so take the failure or success of tonight as just another moment in your life and move on.

Now off to distract myself with trashy American TV (; Happy Pi Day!

Posted by: Rj on March 14, 2011

@Colin Gotta love OGT week smile 40 minute classes rock! Except that I have to go in *earlier* than normal on Wednesday for a practice AP Lit test.

Posted by: Allyson on March 14, 2011

So, my mom made a WONDERFUL pecan pie this weekend, but it was gone before today :(

@Shimul Thats terrible! I had my wisdom teeth out when I was 14 and I looked like a chipmunk. Not fun.

Posted by: Allyson on March 14, 2011

@FarhanN5 : you're from Bangladesh as well ? :D
Let me know if you get in man , I'll be rooting for you ! May Allah make our wishes come true ! :D

Posted by: Shahriar on March 14, 2011

Hey guys, I have an idea for something similar to pi day... it could be used for the early applications lol

its e day (as in 2.718281828)...
7th February, and 18:28 hours every early action reply to MIT can come out...

btw... i'm not checking this till 16th march since i've got exams - if i get rejected, i may not be able to concentrate... and if I get accepted... i certainly won't be able to concentrate! Lol

Posted by: Suyash on March 14, 2011

@Suyash That'd be cool, except they release EA decisions in early December

Posted by: Allyson on March 14, 2011

I'm pretty sure he asked not to talk about admissions. xD
I've just been playing League of Legends the whole day because I'm on spring break.

Posted by: Jesus P. on March 14, 2011

@Allyson I feel like a chipmunk. ._. It IS Spring Break, though, so no one will see my chubbo cheeks, haha.

Posted by: Shimul on March 14, 2011

@Jesus P. I'm playing Neopets, of all things raspberry

Posted by: Allyson on March 14, 2011

@Shariar I'm Bengali! I live in America, though. smile

@Allyson NEOPETSSSS. @Shariar I'm Bengali! I live in America, though. smile

@Allyson NEOPETSSSS. <3

Posted by: Shimul on March 14, 2011

@Shimul My spring break isn't for another couple of weeks. But yeah, you should be fine.

Posted by: Allyson on March 14, 2011

@Shimul Don't tell me you play Neo as well! raspberry And my neighbor is Bengali! He goes to Purdue

Posted by: Allyson on March 14, 2011

6hrs left
i just wanna cry and cry.... i dont know why though?
funny isnt it?
weird what stress and anxiety does to you!!

Posted by: bill on March 14, 2011

to all my bangladeshi friends... congrats on the victory over Netherlands today... hope you guys get to the quarters!

Posted by: Suyash on March 14, 2011

@Allyson Ah, okay. I'm actually having a hard time believing it's spring break. It's the last vacation before the end, you know? Graduation seems so close.

Posted by: Shimul on March 14, 2011

So much Bengali love! Wooo~

Posted by: Shimul on March 14, 2011

Graduation IS so close! Its crazy! My last day is May 17th. I cannot believe how quickly time has gone by. On the plus side, I'm going to Italy and Hawaii this summer ^_^

Posted by: Allyson on March 14, 2011

@Shahariar: Yup friend, I'm from Bangladesh. Let me know too if you get in.

Posted by: FarhanN5 on March 14, 2011

@Allyson My last day is actually April 29th because I get a whole month off to study for/take IB exams. For everyone else the last day is like May 27th. xD

I am SO jealous, though. If I'm lucky, I'll be going to Universal Studios Orlando, which isn't too impressive because I live close by. I've always wanted to go to Europe.

Posted by: Shimul on March 14, 2011

@Jesus P.
I'm playing League of Legends too! :D

Posted by: Marco S. on March 14, 2011

@Shahriar: oops, sorry abt the typo with your name

Posted by: FarhanN5 on March 14, 2011

I live in Brazil, where the school year begins around february and ends at december, so I graduated months ago!

Posted by: André T. on March 14, 2011

Hi Everyone!

Happy pi day!

I asked my mother to make me a pie today, so tonight when I get home, I'll either be having some celebratory pie, or consolation pie

grin

Good luck everyone, and remember, all it takes is 39 decimal places…

Connor P

Posted by: Connor P on March 14, 2011

@André O__O Whoa! That's so cool! How have you been passing the time?

Posted by: Shimul on March 14, 2011

I have to wake up at 4:20 am ,I live in Jerusalem!
anybody from Jerusalem ?

anyway , I know I won't be able to sleep, so any suggestions to pass time?

Posted by: Lina.H on March 14, 2011

Good luck everyone! Happy PI day :D
_
'3.oO Just try to release some stress here...

Posted by: Candide on March 14, 2011

@Lina.H:

If you're looking for ways to spend time, I know how you can spend around two minutes:

http://www.youtube.com/mastersteelblade

grin

Posted by: Master Steelblade on March 14, 2011

OMG A few hours away!!!! Im so stoked even though I dont think im going to get accepted. Still cant wait and Good luck to all smile

Posted by: Cory R. on March 14, 2011

@ master steelbalde:

I've watched this video yesterday...oh, the precious minutes I'll never have back haha!!

I've just realized that I'll be waking up at 3:26 instead of 4:26 am due to the time change. Good enough, not complaining !

Posted by: Lina.H on March 14, 2011

@Shimul : Awesome man ! You're probably safer cuz you're not an international applicant though...lol

@FarhanN5 : No prob dude , and are you a US permanent resident or citizen , cuz I'm in Bangladesh...

@Suyash : Thank you ! I really hope so too, bowling seems fine , but we really need to step up our batting....

Posted by: Shahriar on March 14, 2011

I am still wondering over what decisions can do to people.
In my case:
Right now here in India its March the 15th,0210 hours.
On March the 14th,I had my math final exam.That means I have not slept for more than 4 hours in the past two days.Now ideally I should be fast asleep.
I WAS.
Two hours.AND LO AND BEHOLD.
I AM UP.ON MY OWN.WITH PUFFY EYES.BUT NO SIGN OF SLEEP.
Anything like that with you,people?

Posted by: koho on March 14, 2011

I will use the opportunity to share something interesting for listening and letting out steam.

Folk metal plus a good male choir plus the works of an exceptional composer equals something very very different.

If you but the volume level as high as you can bear then I believe you will be positively surprised.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yiEIpGmYYZU

Posted by: Andres on March 14, 2011

Good luck everyone!

Posted by: Martin on March 14, 2011

DO you think all the decisions are done?

Posted by: Chris on March 14, 2011

Does anyone play Haxball?

Posted by: 0 on March 14, 2011

What is it now, like, 4 and a half hours? yipes! O.o

I've got a Boy Scout meeting tonight so I'll probably get home with a little time to spare before decisions come out. But I definitely won't be able to concentrate on anything (hence my post, lol!) I'll probably be on my guitar a lot tonight.

Good luck everyone, and happy Pi-day!

Posted by: Josh on March 14, 2011

The frequency of new messages is increasing considerably..

Posted by: nV on March 14, 2011

watch this video... hilarious!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dxcAoIBDALg&feature=player_embedded

Posted by: Lina.H on March 14, 2011

@Shariar smile
Oh, not really. I'd actually probably get into an art school, easy as pie (see what I did there? Puns~), but I'm super nervous about MIT because, obviously, it's a tech school where math/science reigns. Of course, they admit all kinds of people, but I have so much doubt because of my weaknesses in math.

I'm hoping for the best, though, and for you, too! :D On a side note, where in BD do you live? Dhaka, I assume?

Posted by: Shimul on March 14, 2011

@koho me from india too had my final biology paper today and have slept only 4 hrs in the past 24 hrs

Posted by: tp on March 14, 2011

@tp
aaahhh decisions....how was your exam,btw?

Posted by: koho on March 14, 2011

yay! pakistan qualifies for the quarter finals!

Posted by: sheikh93er on March 14, 2011

I told one of my teachers that I would get ny decision today, and he actually gave me his cell phone number to text him when I found out.

Posted by: Brandon on March 14, 2011

had a 12 hour harry potter marathon...life is gooood:)

Posted by: meghana on March 14, 2011

I have three classes today. I get a great score in math 209.
@Chris,
If I can't be accepted by MIT this time, what can I do for trsnsfer?
I try my best to be excited, but I have no feeling. Maybe no feeling is better than sadness.

Posted by: [email protected] Lab*My love on March 14, 2011

I just wanted to add some mood-lightening irony:

I'm looking forward to "The Event" tonight, which comes on again tonight at 7:00 P.M. Central Time, and runs for an hour until 8, when decisions are released:p Also, Jason Ritter is supposed to be an MIT grad:P

Posted by: BenT2015 on March 14, 2011

@lina h Awesome video

Posted by: Bill on March 14, 2011

trying.
I have feeling now.
just want to keep calm..
I will definitely get into MIT by Sep, 2012. Freshman(2011) or transfer(2012). Not that bad..or good enough. encouraging myself..

@koho good paper was quite tricky

Posted by: tp on March 14, 2011

Everyone thinks I'm crazy smile just because I applied to MIT with my bad high school notes. But I'm very happy with my crazy decisions. smile

Posted by: kaan on March 14, 2011

Whoa, no. of comments here is directly to proportional to decision anxiety, but inversely proportional to decision time.

Que sera sera, so best of luck to us all. :D

I had a bit of sad day, I've a friend of mine who's leaving unexpectedly tomorrow due to university issues. He was also taking a gap year and repeating tests like myself but he was hoping to go to Canada, so he waited to get the visa and apply as a Canadian citizen, but he can't get anything, and after repeating the tests he got the same marks, so he's going back to Pakistan forever (well he will come on visits, but permanently he'll be there).

I wish the best to him too.

Posted by: Murtaza Ali Khan on March 14, 2011

So anyone from Karachi, Pakistan here?

What do you guys think of an SAT score of 1590/2400, I came to US freshman year and my Grades are currently all As and have 4 years of varsity sports, class VP this year for student council, Robotics, National Science/Math Award, and High Honor Roll 4 years Straight also Got a 3 On AP Physics B. My friends say it was pointless to apply but we will see smile

Posted by: Cory R. on March 14, 2011

@Cory R.
Oh! Similar as you..
I got a 1800-1900 SAT score... I think what will happen tonight. Will the admissions officers deny me directly?

@Qing -

you will receive a decision tonight.

I got 2000/2400, but I'm from brazil, so it was a bit harder for me, specially the writing part

Posted by: Fábio Gelbcke on March 14, 2011

Dear Chris, you speak at last..
If I can't be accepted tonight, I will apply to be a transfer student to MIT. You are so handsome!( I am not going to ...since the decision has been made).. Hope that admissions officers could understand my SAT reading score.

@Fábio Gelbcke:
My reading part is good to me! But it is verbal part. But I haven't taken TOEFL! I am in matlab class..In fact, I am just sitting here.

@Fábio Gelbcke:
I'm from brazil too, took the TOEFL instead, I got 117. But the problem is that international admissions is very hard I think that nice grades won't do it. Good luck for us anyway.

Posted by: Angelo Ribeiro on March 14, 2011

@Qing --- Even I'm in the same boat as you, I had a SAT score similar as yours, but I did take the TOEFL though. I like MIT for this very reason, their policy is really flexible when it comes to standardized testing where people literally cry their hearts out for an exam like SAT. Not saying that SAT is wrong, but MIT does know that an applicant is not just what he/she scores in an exam. :D

@Chris Peterson -- I asked you about bringing Daft Punk to MIT, is it a possibility? wink

So a sandwich walks into a bar and orders a drink….

The bartender says, "Sorry, we don't serve food here."

Posted by: Adam on March 14, 2011

@murtaza -

ANYTHING IS POSSIBLE

@Murtaza Ali Khan: I haven't taken TOEFL, too. But I think at least I will get a 90. I come from China-a place no body speak English..It is really hard to get a just o.k score in SAT reading...
I have told them my English is good enough. In fact, it is good enough.

@Chris -- Lol, mind my ignorance, but your picture above, are you wearing penguin headphones? That's so cool. I actually shouldn't be even talking about headphones for the ear problem I have currently.

@Qing -- I understand the fact of living in a place where English is not a dominant language and its affects, but when you believe in something and work on it, it does become reality...... if you believe your English is good, work a little and it'll be even better than before. :D TOEFL wasn't that hard, pretty basic English and the fact of using computers daily was a plus (I can work for hours on computers).

@Murtaza: I am not an international student.

The amount of adrenaline I am experiencing right now as a result of anxiety makes me feel like I could take down Chuck Norris in a fight right now...

Posted by: GRRRRRR on March 14, 2011

An MIT researcher's TED talk that was uploaded today to keep us all busy:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RE4ce4mexrU

Posted by: Anthony on March 14, 2011

As an international student I think I now found a way how to get rid of stress. I believe the key is finding something in your home country that you are really proud of. Something that makes you want to say out loud this is who I am.
In my case I started to watch clips of a Night song festival in my country. ca 20 000 singers and 80 000 spectators singing songs that were sung when our nation achieved independence. In a way those songs with age have started to bring a tear of joy to my eye as well.
Put the point is that I believe that most nations have something to be really proud of. For example Japan never stops to amaze me in the way they always recover from disasters so fast. Thus I also believe that although the recent eartquake was just terrific they will probably rebuild even better houses, invent new technology etc.
And now if you start to think about it. Why not spend a few more years in that nation and be a part of the awesomeness. Also as probably all of you are very talented then think of it this way. You have a lot to give to the local universities. The same people MIT is probably looking for in the sense of truely inspirational personalities are something that can really make a difference in less known universities. In my mind a passionate and talented student can inspire others to follow his example. And what could be more awesome than knowing that you have probably changed someones life.

I hope you understand what I mean.
I know that it might be a bit naive but
at least I am now totally free of stress

Posted by: ANDRES on March 14, 2011

@Chris Peterson

Any idea about admission statistics for this years regular decision now, for both international and US students?

Posted by: James B on March 14, 2011

Just another way to pass the time for fellow math nerds.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4mdEsouIXGM&feature=relmfu
Enjoy, and good luck to everyone!

Posted by: Tiffany on March 14, 2011

Has anyone else gotten a fake letter from admissions or an email telling them they did not get in? It has the old Admissions Director's name and signature on it?.....weird.

Posted by: Hannah on March 14, 2011

The international students from China prepare SAT for 2 years, but for me, one month.

@[email protected] Lab*My love same here

Posted by: Yulduz on March 14, 2011

@Qing: me, 1 week spring vacation that was before the test

Posted by: anon01134 on March 14, 2011

MIT Admissions Realtime Chat:

http://50.17.200.55/

Join in on the anticipation with fellow hopefuls!

Posted by: Mark F on March 14, 2011

Anyone here from Arizona?

Posted by: Ryan on March 14, 2011

does anyone know if they are mailing letters too?

Posted by: Bill on March 14, 2011

Are Yulduz and anon01134 Chinese?!

BLAHHHH!!!!
GOOD LUCK EVERYONE!!!! ^ Just spent an hour reading through the whole post. =]

Posted by: JXC on March 14, 2011

@James -

yes. stats will go live with a blog post at 9:26. but i can tell you that we had over 17,900 applications and a sub 10% admit rate.

@all -

will likely close this thread at 9 PM EDT. the final threads - for decisions chats - will go up a few minutes before 9;26 PM

help me after 9:26P.M-how to transfer to MIT.

@Qing Tajik)

Posted by: YulduznotChinese on March 14, 2011

"over 17,900 applications and a sub 10% admit rate. "

alright i'm just going to go back to my hw seeing as i'm pretty much rejected already =(

Posted by: sigh on March 14, 2011

I'm as sick as can be (I think I have like two different flu strains) but I'm so pumped to hear back from MIT. It will also play a large role in wether I go to school tomorow so either way I win smile

Posted by: Timm on March 14, 2011

T minus 1 hour 30 mins.!
Well, I guess its better if I just start preparing to see my rejection letter..

Posted by: ????? on March 14, 2011

smile now is the hour....

Posted by: Aishwarya on March 14, 2011

If you're just hanging out here waiting, I updated my previous Pi(e) post with some more fun pi(e) references! smile

http://www.mitadmissions.org/topics/misc/miscellaneous/pie_2.shtml

What better way to spend your time waiting for MIT decisions than solving pi-related riddles?

Posted by: Mikey on March 14, 2011

@Chris Peterson

What's it like at MIT at the moment with the admissions staff.... Frantic tense rush at the last minute to get things done or has everyone gone home and finished with all thing admissions nice and early, can't imagine it being the latter.

Posted by: James B on March 14, 2011

Of course, every has already done. But they may be still there to wait for us crying..

Posted by: Qing on March 14, 2011

@Yulduznot:
Wow! You live in Xinjiang?

Posted by: 0 on March 14, 2011

I am going to have a heart failure ! 1 hour to go !!!

Posted by: Horse on March 14, 2011

As an EA deferred applicant, I don't really have much hope. Nonetheless, that sliver that still remains is hounding me to no end. However, staring at the clock is really unproductive, so I wish all of you guys the best of luck. I'm going to go cram for my AP Euro test!

Posted by: Luna on March 14, 2011

Hi Chris!
Do you want to join my pirate crew?
I need a skilled swordsman, but I guess an admissions officer will do as well!

@James B
I think everything is finished since the website was down for an hour or so earlier today.-----
COMMENT:
AUTHOR: I am mad abt that
EMAIL: [email protected]
IP: 74.190.64.36
URL:
DATE: 03/14/2011 08:37:41 PM
COMMENT_BODY:
stay cool guys.if yaal are accepted then its fine.if not then dont worry.bill gates or jon von braun never went to MIT.

Posted by: nk on March 14, 2011

wow...I can't even for a moment escape the dread, anxiety, and nervousness. Even in my unconscious I dream about it...not to mention today was a terrible monday for me. Bad things happened one after another...and I even zoned out for a split second while driving and had an accident. Oh jeez.

Posted by: sw on March 14, 2011

40 minutes to go. desperate right now.

Bill Gates went to Harvard...

Posted by: almost... on March 14, 2011

Yeah. And Einstein failed on his university entrance exam. Trying is the most important thing.

Posted by: kaan on March 14, 2011

3.14159265358979323846264338327950288419716939937510 5820974944592307816406286208998628034825342117067982
1480865132823066470938446095505822317253594081284811
174502841027019385211055596446229489 I'm freaking out. TIME TO EAT SOME PI(E)!!!! XD

Posted by: Kari on March 14, 2011

Today at school my former math teacher showed a video of a debate regarding which number was better, e or pi. Hilarious! Plus we nom-ed on pie, and my Gov teacher brought pies as well, except we would have to recite the first 25 numbers of pi from memory to have a slice. It was a lot easier than I thought, because once you get 25, you can easily achieve 50. Good luck everyone!

Posted by: stephanie on March 14, 2011

I LOVE THIS SO MUCH. It makes me happy!! I love Mika. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hEhutIEUq8k

Posted by: 0 on March 14, 2011

28 minutes to go..!!!

Posted by: Shekhar on March 14, 2011

Good luck everyone!

Posted by: Emad '14 on March 14, 2011

27!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Posted by: Cory R. on March 14, 2011

last post?

Posted by: lol on March 14, 2011

To all those fellow applicants, I wish you the best of luck. And I wish that no one takes the result too seriously or too frivolously. Congrats to all accepted. For those who weren't(which I will probably be included in)? You applied to one of the best schools in the world. That says a heck of a lot about your achievements thus far, regardless of the decision tonight.

Posted by: Maximilian on March 14, 2011

last post?

Posted by: lol on March 14, 2011

Here we go.

To take my mind off waiting (which only kind of worked), I made a fabulous chocolate pie in celebration of Pi Day. Here's the recipe, if anyone's interested:

http://homesicktexan.blogspot.com/2008/09/grandmas-chocolate-pie.html

It's all lovely and chocolatey and fluffy!

And, 24 minutes!

Posted by: Emma on March 14, 2011

20min!!!!

Posted by: plz on March 14, 2011

LAST!!!

closing comments on this thread as above in order to focus on releasing decisions at 9;26.

in a few minutes we'll post up some open threads for admitted / waitlisted / not admitted students, as well as a general decisions announcement page.

i've been talking to y'all for awhile. some of you a LONG time. and i'm not going to lie - some of you are not going to go to bed happy tonight.

but all of you are going to do amazing things. and i love all of you, each and every one.