Party in the MIT by Snively '11

This is some scary stuff.

Tell the truth, how many current MIT students read the title of this entry and knew exactly what to expect when they clicked it? I know that at least Chris M did.

Yesterday a video, made by a bunch of people from Baker (one of our dorms), was uploaded to the internet. The instant something hits the tubes it becomes fair game, so now it goes on the admissions website.

The link has been sent to a couple of dorm lists and is popping up here and there on Facebook. My guess would be that this doesn’t represent ALL of Baker, but I can’t imagine many dorms other than Baker coming out with something like this.

Enjoy, or cringe, or weep, whichever comes the most naturally.

75 responses to “Party in the MIT”

LOL the thought of posting this crossed my mind last night when it was sent out like around 9ish pm, but some portions were too…yeah.

Oh well, I guess it got posted anyway.

2. Dimitris says:

Lol, this is funny! but kinda stupid.

MIT people are all sorts of silly ^.^

Unfortunately with this sort of silly, you can’t unsee things… raspberry

4. Shiv says:

Ohkay, What was that???

5. deb '11 says:

hrm.. while this is absolutely ridiculous, i hope you realize that this is a spoof of another video (much better quality) of men in speedos on a beach impersonating girls?…..

below is the link…

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2Ezfk7s1NyY

6. Emilio '13 says:

I saw them filming this on Mass Ave

Well, that’s ten fewer people who can run for president one day!

(Loved the video).

there is a bc representative in this video. and others.

@deb i hardly think the guys in that other video were “impersonating girls”… they’re actually just gay.

@anon HAHAHAHAHA

Weep. I did.

I wasn’t expecting 2:19. hahaha

Yeah, I chose the right school.

:'( best rep of MIT? ummmm

Why would Chris M expect this??

This Anon thinks that’s hawt.

15. fellow '13 says:

haha baker haters crack me up. and I don’t even live in baker.

I want to go here. Just because of that video.

17. Joe says:

HAHAHAHAHA. That was great.

18. Darshi('14?) says:

lol. this is the reason i know MIT is for me smile

19. Su ('14?) says:

LOLOL! I think I said “oh my god” about 20 times and laughed so hard that my brother came in to ask me what was happening haha

20. David '86 says:

Does anyone else think it is weird that this video is flagged by YouTube as inappropriate?

“This video or group may contain content that is inappropriate for some users, as flagged by YouTube’s user community.

To view this video or group, please verify you are 18 or older by signing in or signing up.

21. Does anyone ever wonder whether in twenty years, you’re going to be that one kid’s mom/dad in that one youtube video?

22. Lainers '12 says:

@ Snively:

The ordering task (which doesn’t apply to this video) thankfully fell to someone else, who used headphones. I was working with a third person for 3 or 4 hours (at least) to ID every location. With the video on mute. And then argue with the first guy that certain clips should be swtiched from his order so that indexing in by the number of dancers gave prettier consonant-vowel patterns.
    But the same thought process was at hand on this video: W20-5xx Athena Cluster, student center 2nd floor balcony, Mass Ave chirping bird light, front steps of Baker, 10-350…sparked a certain deja vu.

23. Lainers '12 says:

10-250. Meant 10-250.

24. Lainers '12 says:

So if we just name the locations and index in by the number of people visible…that’s honestly the first thing that popped into my head. http://web.mit.edu/puzzle/www/09/puzzles/where_the_hell_is_captain_blastoid/PUZZLE/
    Though, seriously, um…

25. Tommy '13 says:

I’ll never be able to feel the same in my orgo lectures in 10-250 now….

26. Sheila '13 says:

OMG!! Those are the exactly the same people I saw at 2 AM in the morning last wednesday while I was walking out of the 77 Mass Avenue, just when we were in the Pappalaredo Lab, and they were running past me. and some of those dudes waved at me while I looked at them confusingly. lol.

27. Y. Levins says:

why don’t you try the hula-hula dance?

….o________________o;;;

@Lainers
    I had that song stuck in my head for days after that puzzle. There’s nothing like listening to out-of-order chunks of a song for 3 hours to mess you up.

30. VAL ('14?) says:

Yep, this is definitely where I belong.

31. leilani says:

how’s your flu going? i hope you’re getting better…

32. Olive says:

for once, I honestly don’t know what to say…

33. Charles '13 says:

I promise you this is a small minority of MIT, who are very much marginalized. If you think this video reflects your personality, please consider Harvard.

true that, charles ’13!!

Charles is so right…I am embarrassed to go to the same school as the students in this video. So lame, so very very lame.

36. Daria '14 says:

Now that I know that other people hate these kids, I think i might feel at home at MIT.

37. Lauren says:

@Olive
    Hey Olive!

This video made me laugh. A lot. :D

38. NathanArce says:

I will echo my facebook status, but without the third person subject.

Baker needs a little death in their lives =.=”

39. O_O At least the majority of MIT people aren’t like this….Right?

40. disapproves! says:

nude male prancing is stuff for the ivy leagues.

tech schools have no place for this kind of behavior.

41. Luka ('14?) says:

@ Jennie
    Of course they aren’t, or at least I hope so =P

42. “Home is where love is.
    Home is where joy is.
    Home is where you can run around in a speedo and no one will complain.
    =D”

You can’t walk around baker with a speedo… They would all freak out because it would just be too much exposure.

43. Emily (14?) says:

omg MIT seems like the place for me! miley is the best! rock on, MIT! yay, baker seems so social smile

holy crap, I think I see my 7.02 lab partner 0.0

Home is where love is.
    Home is where joy is.
    =D

Guys, MIT is distinctive in large part because people like those in the video are a smaller portion of the population than they are at most colleges. Saying that this video makes you want to go to MIT is absurd – if you like the video, almost any other college would fit you better than MIT would.

47. Mom out west says:

I honestly thought MIT students had better taste in music than Miley Ick Cyrus- even for such a strange un-MIT video. Those Baker guys seem to have the art(?) of preening down pretty good, tho’.

48. Debbie (14?) says:

they’re having the best time of their lives! i’m sure baker would make it the best four years of mine, just because they’re so social and always having fun. really, what could be better than dancing around in underwear, having a party? loves it.

-ultimate debbie

@Debbie (14?)
    Why is your IP address an 18? Are you on campus?

50. Dad in east says:

I’d have done something like or crazier than that in college (in the 80’s), had my political advisor OK’ed us (in China). AND 1) we didn’t have the music, 2) we didn’t have the bathroom, 3) no girls would have dared to do it. So keep the fun going amid all your psets and labs and classes and urops and jobs.

51. Nathan says:

This is hilarious. Epic.

52. Lollipoppie says:

I watched it at school today and now everyone in my class is judging me. Hmm

I guess it is safe to assume that Baker isn’t the most well liked dorm at MIT. heh

Snively you’re a creeper. “Where are you? Are you on campus?!”

Hey guys (:
    In watching this, you should remember that there are all sorts of people and subcultures at MIT. While liking/disliking this video may say something about whether you’re a good fit for Baker House, it doesn’t mean anything about how well you’d fit in at MIT overall.
    I live at Phoenix Group, and I think the most common reactions I’ve seen are along the lines of:
    *affectionate chuckle* “Only at Baker House.”
    and
    *eyeroll* “Only at Baker House.”

Also, there’s a key difference between the people in this video and the people at any old party school: they may like to dance around in their underwear, but they also (for example) have incredible talents, will laugh at your most obscure science puns, name their pets Hamilton and Lagrange, and know pi to an insane number of decimal places.

Peace (:

56. Reena '13 says:

^ Oh, sorry, that was me.

57. sepideh says:

just too much free feeling people …can be at some times…not that bad…feel neutral….

I’m sorry, that’s just plain disturbing.

I’d just like to point out for some of us… this video was hilarious and enjoyable, yet NSFW!!!!! please label accordingly next time!!! (Not Safe For Work/school)

60. Michael says:

So this is what MIT kids are like….

This is definitely not a representation of MIT overall. Actually, in my view, it’s rather embarrassing to have this video up on the admissions site. For those of you who feel uncomfortable about applying/coming to MIT because you didn’t like the video, don’t worry. There are plenty of us on campus who agree with you. Of course, there may be people who want to go wild in college, and if you’re one of them, have fun. But seriously, please realize that MIT is about more than parties. (In fact, Baker is not all about parties either.) Believe it or not, we spend a lot of time learning, not to mention p-setting. It’s definitely worth it.

Also, even if you do want to party a lot here, Baker-style partying is definitely not the only option. See, for example,

http://www.mitadmissions.org/topics/life/student_life_culture/party_pics.shtml

for a post about a style of party that is rather different from what you’d find at Baker.

63. cat says:

i liked baker house, now i’m confused! why are people dancing around like that in a funny way?

64. Jason says:

HI nice party!

65. cat says:

yeah, but why is it NSFW?? that girl in red n black stripe shirt is hot!

66. brandon'15 says:

Hey I can’t wait to join u cute guys!
    I have the feeling i’ll be welcomed as the person I am!!!!!!! let’s party all the guys together in the MIT!!! in the shower!!

I never had any sort of friends and fun in my life, hope and pray maybe MIT will make me feel like a person who deserves some happiness, just hope i get accepted, my lots of dreams are attached with MIT, if i don’t maybe they will be broken as shattered glass.

68. pretty awesome for MIT ^_^ got to live to experience it!_!

69. Harold says:

I agree, the girl in the red and black stripe shirt is hot! If that were her leg on 2:29, I dunno what would happen next if I were with her on the shower. Gooooood things, I guess.

70. cat says:

@Harold: unfortunately 2:29 is a guy man! she looks good at 2:40!!

71. This goes to show the openness and freedom that manifest themselves in all possible ways. Now that I’m not at the ‘Tute anymore, I appreciate that all the more…

72. Don’t think everyone in Baker is like this either. I actually totally missed the making of this video.

However, consider that this is posted on a MIT-owned website. I don’t think many other schools would allow this. This is a testament freedom of the administration here – that’s the beauty of this place.

If you like it fine, or if you don’t like it fine – but MIT allows you to be yourself.

As the above people posted, all of the living groups are different, and different people are in different living groups. You get to pick your home here – based on the culture you want to be around.