Random Monday Fun @ MIT by Ben Jones

The title says it all.

Check out this picture… looks normal, right?

My friend took this picture with his cell phone last thursday and sent it to me. The text that accompanied it said simply:

There’s no one in the driver’s seat. Just a guy in the passenger seat. With a laptop.

For the record, that’s on 93 South – a major highway. Okay then!

And then this morning, McGreggor sends me this, which is pretty awesome. (I feel like this may have been posted in the blogs already but I can’t find it, so sorry if it’s a repeat.)

Happy Monday!

22 responses to “Random Monday Fun @ MIT”

1. JKim says:

HAPPY INTERNATIONAL PANIC DAY, BAN

AAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

2. abbey says:

the sigma nu lip snyc video was soooooo cool! thanks for telling me to watch it. =)

Wait…was he driving it with the computer?? Or was it not moving?

4. If I recall correctly, here in California there is a law which states that any vehicle without a driver may not exceed 60 miles per hour. I wonder what exactly constitutes a “driver” in this context… :-D

5. Adam '11 says:

The car was moving, and he wasn’t even driving it with the computer, just monitoring it probably grin

Check out the DARPA Grand Challenge Race!

It’s a competition to build an entirely autonomous ground vehicle capable of carrying a person without human intervention. Last year it was in a desert, this year its in an urban setting. Very cool stuff. grin

AHHHH!!! PANIC!!! The future is going to smash into us!

6. yg'11 says:

WOWOWOWOWWOW smile smile smile

I totally love this pic (and the message wink. It symbolyzes what MIT means to me! =)

I guess this means DARPA is going well then! w00t MIT

8. Maia '11 says:

There was an article with that car in it either in Discover or Popular Science earlier this year, I can’t remember which. That’s awesome that they’ve gotten it to the point where it can drive around in traffic!

MIT >>> Stanford at DARPA.

Wait, where’d that Sigma Nu video come from? I’m so confused…

10. Wings '11 says:

MIT > Stanford, period.
    Oh no, I’m not biased wink

That’s EXCITING, though! Imagine, just having your car drive you around? You can sleep, eat, etc and not worry, you’ll just get there!

MIT. The more I read, the more I can’t WAIT until August.

11. hawk says:

AXO lip sync 2004, apparently.

12. madmatt says:

I guess I was a judge for AXO Lip Sync the wrong year =(

13. Bryan says:

My friend Rob (friend who thinks I’m weird for photographing my food for blogging purposes) is working on that car! ZOMG.

I already linked to International Panic Day, Adam ’11, WAY TO STAY ON TOP OF THE COMMENTS MAN

15. Harrison says:

Interesting Sigma Nu video… honestly if there were a frat that was like a 1920’s gangster hideout with Michael Jackson playing nonstop I’d probably join it.

16. crespo says:

Their’s a guy in new delhi who can drive with elan without sitting on the driver’s seat(on top of that he reads a newspaper!)!!dunno how sumone can stretch their legs sooo much!infact the last time he did so…he was followed by a national news channel ….the channel wanted to know how he controlled the ghost driving the car!!!!

17. Paul '11 says:

For some reason, I have a sudden urge to quote The Hitchiker’s Guide to the Galaxy.

DON’T PANIC!

18. A says:

This is almost as good (this year’s lip sync): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m6w0NcW_xXA

“Don’t Panic” is such a nice song.

And “Garden State” is such a good movie… *sigh*

20. Omorx says:

I can’t see any picture. I think it’s a technical problem.

21. Ronny CHEN says:

Good on’ya, Ben! You’ve just made me more wanting to go to MIT immediately, you know! I’ve still gotten a year of high school to deal with!!! How am I gonna wait for it?

22. omg! says:

just amazing and this is just great.
    this is by far the coolest thing I have heard so far….
    I plead ben to bring up some more of stuff like this …
    bloggers here and to all MIT bloggers just don’t know what this means to a person in a third world developing country…