MIT student blogger Melis A. '08

See your name among the stars… by Melis A. '08

Forget having your name written in lights, get it written on a spacecraft!

For $35 to $250 per square centimeter, you can have your name written on a spacecraft! The MIT Mars Gravity Biosatellite Program is selling the ads to fund their project to launch a student-designed small unmanned spacecraft in 2010. “Choose a location on the outside of the spacecraft and get pictures of your content photographed in space. Choose a location inside the return vehicle, and after five weeks in orbit we’ll return to you the actual piece of spacecraft hardware which carried your image into orbit.”

Check out their website, at http://yournameintospace.org/. The Boston Globe also wrote up an article about this innovative fundraising scheme, click here to read it. Help them raise the $30 million that they need!

(image from the YNIS website)

11 responses to “See your name among the stars…”

1. Amy says:

$30 million O_O!That’s a lot of money, but this idea is really cool.

2. Sh1fty says:

i saw that about a week ago, it’s definitely a good way to get funds. however, giving away pieces of the hull is not such a good idea, because they’ll have to land it gently or else the hull will be damaged, shipping pieces all over the world is expensive and worst of all, someone will have to cut it :D i don’t know how do they intend to land it without burning it when entering the atmosphere. anyway, i wish them luck.

3. Sarab says:

Interesting….

Haha, I helped coordinate that site.

5. lulu says:

yay anonymous. now you can get the recognition you deserve.

6. Thuita Maina says:

That’s a brilliant project. I would love to be in MIT when the spacecraft is launched. Long live MIT!

Oh.. the point is that they take pictures in space, and you can see the pictures. I think they said they would send the pieces to you only if they didnt burn. They’re also selling pieces inside the satellite, perhaps those are the ones they physically send to people upon return. I forget, sorry. (Me being the anonymous that coordinated the site).

8. KANIKA says:

melis
    im a studentfrom india still pursuing high school i want to attend MIT nxt year which by all means i understand is not a childs play…i will graduate frm high school in may ’07 but the application deadline is january 1st and i cannot taake the SAT subject tests until i go through the entire course…plz help me i m registerd for the toefl and will b appearing soon plz help me out …itll be really nice of u …plz im really perplexed..reply asap
    thnx
    kanika

9. Melis says:

Hi Kanika,

I’m sorry, I do not understand your question. You can take the SAT subject tests before graduating, in fact, you are supposed to do so if you want to apply in your last year of high school. It is good that you’ve registered for the TOEFL, good luck! If you have any questions, let me know.

-melis

10. hi
    i wanna be the member of the your club what the path is i became unable to find
    so show me the the path fo r the membersip of this club
    thanks

11. kanika says:

thnx for replyin melis
    wat i meant to ask was dat can i appear for the SAT tests in may be march or april wen i get over with my class 12th examinations bcuz ill be thorough with the course at that time ….will it affect my chances of admission
    reply asap
    thanx a ton
    kanika