MIT student blogger Bryan O. '07

Stories of Senioritis by Bryan

How to Procrastinate

So the four year roller coaster called “Quest for a degree from MIT” has come to a close. And of course, it wouldn’t be blogworthy unless there was more of a story than that.

So this semester I had just one ninety minute final, open book, open note final exam in cell biology. It wasn’t even really a final exam because it only tested us on the new stuff and was equally weighted with the other exams. The final was last Thursday and the last day of classes was the Thursday before, so I had a week to study right?

So what I’ve learned is that you can only read a book so many times before you just can’t read it anymore. And that is when my brain went to mush when I think I’d attempted my fourth read of the sections that were going to be on the test.

Cue Facebook. The best and worst invention given to man. Now imagine if I really had to study last week.

Battle of the Walls:

me: shouldn’t you be studying like i am pretending to as well?
friend: what is this studying thing of which you speak?
me: about that studying thing, i was just kidding. i watched pirates 2 then fell asleep on my couch. i can’t study anymore. i’ve read my notes umpteen times.
friend: i swear you change your profile picture once-a-day.
me: i mean, i have a folder of facebook photos, and when i get bored, it’s what i do. i can’t look at p53 pathways anymore.

and if you don’t believe me, just check my album.

ps. jkim, i’m glad you’re back on facebook.

Procrastination Technique #2: Eating.

Sunday Night: Capital Grille

Monday Night: Anthony’s Pier 4

Procrastination Technique #3: Working Out

Thanks to all the “we expected you to be taller and more buff comments” at Meet the Bloggers…just wait until you see me in the Infinite in the Fall.

I can bench the bar.

Procrastination Technique #4: Media Arts

Season Finales of 24 and Heroes

I want to see Jack Bauer take on Sylar.

I don’t know about you but I was quite disappointed by the endings of both.

Twelve attempted viewings of Pirates of the Caribbean 2.

Let’s just say I’m in no rush to see Pirates 3.

And finally, if all else fails:

Procrastination Technique #5: SLEEP

I can’t tell you how nice it is to sleep more than 10 hours a night now. My almost all-nighter for my thesis has been compensated for with my recent sleeping schedule.

Tomorrow begins Senior Week.

Event #1: Wine Tasting!

Tomorrow’s Blog Entry: 80s Night – Jokes on Us!

Happy graduation to all of you who have already turned the tassle.

16 responses to “Stories of Senioritis”

1. JKim says:

me too, bryan. me too.

2. Jillian says:

Pirates 3 was awful!! I don’t think I’ve ever been that bored in a movie before. I was very happy when it was over.

3. Golrle says:

download free full music album http://soundmp3s.com/letter/n/ >free download english mp3 song download old hindi song

4. Wings '11 says:

I didn’t think Pirates 3 was that bad! Much better than the 2nd, and nothing ever lives up to the first. It just had a lot of subplots.

And will you see us next fall? Aren’t you graduating? Or are you coming back for grad work? (I MIGHT remember a blog on this, but I have a notoriously bad memory, so..)

And what does senior week consist of?

OK I’ll shut up now.

And what does senior week consist of?

OK I’ll shut up now.
    <3 Melissa

5. Harrison says:

Laura you didn’t like Pirates 3? It was infinitely better than Pirates 2 and way better than people were saying.

6. jenn'11 says:

hahahahahaha i can totally relate to this. i always find it easier to study when i’m eating at the same time smile

7. OK Pirates 3 really wasn’t bad. It just wasn’t fantastic. But never put it ont eh level of Pirates 2, which I was forced to see a second time in theaters because I was at a camp thing and they made everyone see it and I’d already seen it. I wouldn’t mind being forced to see 3 again. And that’s me ranting after having spent too long reading FEE stuff.

8. Paul '11 says:

I had a serious problem with Pirates 2 (they were trying to hard to be funny), but I liked Pirates 3. It was VERY different than the original, which may be why some people don’t like it, but it was still a good movie in its own right.

My graduation is tonight…I just walked out of my high school for the last time ever. I guess you don’t really know how much you want to get out of a place until it really happens. Except that now I don’t really know what to do with myself.

Besides the FEE, but that doesn’t really count. smile

9. Kate says:

I’m in several classes with seniors and senioritis has definitely pervaded the atmosphere. I, myself, have developed some serious procrastination habits this year. I’m not even graduating until 2008! It’s sad, really. smile

I loved your facebook conversation about not studying, btw. The internet is so good at providing distractions for people who don’t want to do do homework (i.e. me, right now!)

I thought P3 was better than 2 but not as good as P1. It rambled in the middle a bit (pure torture because by the time it got to that point, I had drained my water bottle and was desperate for a bathroom break!) And did anyone else notice that during the entirety of the movie, Kiera Knightley looked like she was wearing an entire bucketful of bronzer on her face?

10. Hank R. says:

Am I the only person that liked Pirates 2 better than Pirates 1? I think I am. Still haven’t gotten around to seeing Pirates 3 though.

Also, Jack Bauer and 24 trumps everything. Pretty sure that’s gonna ruin my study habits at MIT. And yeah, the Heroes ending was a bit lackluster. I wasn’t too disappointed with the 24 one.

11. milena '11 says:

I have a love-hate relationship with facebook. Right now, I’m supposed to be writing my FEE essays, and I’m on facebook posting on people’s walls. Argh!

I’m one of the very few people that haven’t seen any pirates movies. I was never interested in them, even though I really like Johnny Depp (not because he’s hot, tho- he convinced me with his acting skills on Charlie and the Chocolate Factory) and I like keira and orlando too.

12. jenn '11 says:

@hank: i agree with you. i liked pirates 2 for its action scenes. i mean, how could you not like the water wheel scene? i think a lot of people didn’t like it just because it left so many things unresolved.

Ugh, Pirates 3 was about as bad as Pirates 2, so you’re not missing much…

14. I relate to the eating and studying thing as well… wierd

15. My favorite method of procrastination by far is to put off all those boring tasks by engaging in somewhat more exciting ones.
    Perhaps this is why I can’t maintain a decent grade point average… grin

16. minkooo says:

I would like to know ,how marks are needed in Sat1 and Sat2 to join MIT .Please reply me sir ,