Turkey Time by Matt McGann '00

MIT Admissions will be closed for the Thanksgiving holiday.

Happy Thanksgiving!

The Office of Admissions will be closed from Wednesday afternoon, November 21 through Monday morning, November 26 for the Thanksgiving holiday weekend (see below if you’d like to learn more about one of MIT’s Thanksgiving traditions).

So that you know: we are not receiving or responding to any e-mails or phone calls during this period; email or call us again after Monday morning, November 26 (I will do my best to answer questions in the comments of this blog entry in the meantime). We also will not have any information sessions or campus tours during this holiday.

If you are an Early Action applicant and your MyMIT tracking shows a missing component, please fax it to 617-687-9184. Note that documents received during the holiday will not be processed by the office until a few days after the holiday. Please do not send multiple copies of documents during this period.

If you are a Regular Action applicant and your MyMIT tracking shows a missing component, please be patient as we are processing thousands of applicant documents at this time.

If you have forgotten your MyMIT username and/or password, you should use the “forgot username” and “forgot password” links at http://my.mit.edu. The system is case sensitive. Your account will be unlocked when you enter all of the fields correctly.

…and I think those are the answers to the biggest questions. If you have more, feel free to ask below. Now, onto that previously mentioned MIT Thanksgiving tradition…

Friday After Thanksgiving (F.A.T.) Chain Reaction

What is the F.A.T. Chain Reaction? Better to see it — take a look (from 2011):

The F.A.T. Chain Reaction brings together more than a thousand people and dozens on mini-chain reactions into one mega-chain reaction that takes up almost the entire flor space of MIT’s gym!

In 2011, more than 1,400 people came, participated and watched as artist and renowned chain reaction creator Arthur Ganson led one of the MIT Museum’s most popular annual events. Teams from all over the country bring a link, which is then connected to another link and becomes one giant contraption, set off at the magic moment by Ganson. The 2011 theme was “Sonnet” in honor of the 14-line poetry form and the 14th annual F.A.T. event. This year’s theme is “crystal,” as it is the 15th anniversary.