MIT staff blogger Mikey Yang '05

Waitlist Decisions 2012 by Mikey Yang '05

As the May 1st reply date has passed, I know many people on the waitlist are anxious to hear an update. Although a few things are still settling down, we wanted to give you all an update as soon as possible.

Each year, we always plan on admitting students from the waitlist. However, this year, we saw an unprecedented, record-breaking percentage of students enrolling from our admitted student group (around 70+ percent). Unfortunately, this means that we will not be able to admit anyone off the waitlist this year. This is the first time in the last seven years that we have not been able to go to our waitlist.

Today at 5pm Eastern Time, we will notify all remaining students on our waitlist via email that we will not be able to offer them admission. At that point, we will consider our waitlist “closed” and do not expect to admit any additional students this year for the Class of 2016.

I know many of you have been sending in additional materials, and we have seen all the wonderful updates you have submitted. We appreciate the time and effort you have put in to letting us know how much you love MIT, and we thank you for your patience during this time. We know you will have incredibly bright futures and great college experiences, and we wish you all the very best at the college you’ve chosen.