MIT staff blogger Mikey Yang '05

Class of 2020 Wait List Decisions by Mikey Yang '05

We're sending out wait list decisions today.

It's been over a week since the May 2 reply deadline, and we know many of you have been awaiting news about our wait list. During this time, we've been waiting for all our admitted students to submit their final decisions so we could figure out whether or not we could go to our wait list this year.

Every year, we always plan on admitting students from the wait list. This year, we had a record-high percentage of admitted students choosing to enroll at MIT (also known in admissions parlance as the "yield") of over 74 percent, which left very little space to admit students off of the wait list.

Today, around 5PM Eastern Time, we will email all students on our wait list their admission decision. Out of the 437 students on our wait list, 26 were offered admission. At that point, our wait list will close, and we will not be admitting any additional students for the Class of 2020.

We have seen all the wonderful updates that many of you have submitted, and appreciate the time and effort you have put in to letting us know how much you love MIT. As someone who was wait listed at my first choice college in high school (but didn't end up getting in), I'm actually glad that I ended up where I did (even though it wasn't somewhere I really thought I wanted to go). Looking back now, it was a great fit for me and I had an amazing experience, even though I didn't expect that going in.

On behalf of the entire MIT Admissions staff, we know you will have incredibly bright futures and great college experiences, and wish you all the very best at whatever college you choose.