Where Have I Been? by Ben Jones

Oh, what a bad blogger I have been.

Oh, what a bad blogger I have been. I was lamenting to Matt last week that I haven’t had a chance to think up any good entries – sorry guys. Hope to fix that soon!

So what have I been doing…

First, a variety of backend stuff with the web site that was long overdue. Lots of it you can’t really see, but I can see it, and it makes me happy. You’ll just have to trust me. :-)

Second, I’ve been trying to build some new relationships around campus and add a variety of guest authors to our blogging program to fill in specific holes. Recent additions include Prof. Eric Grimson, our first faculty author (yay!); Laurie Everett, who will bring MIT World directly to our site; and Mirat Shah, a junior who is studying abroad via the Cambridge-MIT Exchange. I’m really excited to have these folks share their experiences with you and look forward to additional guest authors – including folks from MISTI and MasLab, coming very soon.

Third, we’ve recently launched some new recruitment initiatives. While I love the writing and design tasks that come with this, they do take up quite a bit of time!

Fourth, Campus Preview Weekend (CPW) is right around the corner. It’s our biggest weekend of the year, so we begin working on it months in advance.

Fifth, after two years Nance still can’t publish his own entries (or even manage to deliver them to me in html-friendly ASCII). So when you see a new Nance entry, you know how it got there.

Sixth, there are these applications lying around the office. One of these days I should really maybe read a few of them.

Seventh, American Idol is back. ‘Nuff said.

So… I hope you guys are hanging in there and not stressing too much. I’ll write a decent entry soon; I know I owe you one, big time.

26 responses to “Where Have I Been?”

1. Whippie says:

Haha. Wow, sounds like you have a lot on your hands. And, I am all with you on the American Idol.

2. theresa says:

I second the American Idol – (yay more **laughs** tonight) — I love the funny auditions :D
    don’t get too overloaded, Ben :D

3. Amjad says:

hah. yeah you haven’t posted for a while. we missed you Ben smile.

4. jasmine says:

could i use the last reason as an excuse for my seniorities?

hmm, probably not.

5. Ryan says:

That’s odd… I was just looking over the blog posts and thought to myself, “Ben hasn’t posted for a while.”

I know it sounds like I’m being sarcastic, but I’m not. I really thought that.

Wait, Nance can’t post his own blogs? Who is he, MY MOM??

(I’m kidding, Mom, you’re really good at email)

Welcome back, Ben! smile
    “Lots of it you can’t really see, but I can see it, and it makes me happy.” I so much understand what you mean!

8. Colin says:

BAN. It’s been far too long since I’ve paid you a visit. Are you in this week?

P.S. AI HELLZ YEAH. I missed it tonight, but thank God for torrents!

9. Colin says:

Another thing you’ve been doing is having lunch with your favorite ’10s.

OH WAIT!!!!!!!!!!!

11. although i got rejected by MIT (no hard feelings(not)) I still come here. a simple sugestion, maybe if it said somewhere in a prominent place that applying early is for those who are almost sure that MIT will accept them, and not for those who are hoping MIT will accept them. I found this out too late.

PS. dont know what that had to do with anything, but oh well.

12. Sarab says:

Yah you do owe us! (How about admitting all those who respond to this blog! grin)
    Hey, I like American Idol too!

13. Sarah says:

Hi, I’m doing a project for my theology class about budgeting money in college. If anyone can give me some feedback on how you budget and any anecdotes or advice, I would really appreciate it. Thanks!

14. Utkarsh says:

Yeah!!! me too I am boycotting American Idol this season as well, because of couple of reasons –

One,I have three research projects to finish

Two,my exams are around the corner

Three,I am tensed about my admissions decision,rather I am kidding you.I am confident that I will be selected, but always there is something or the other going on in my mind related to MIT. I eat MIT, sleep MIT, drink MIT, love MIT, watch MIT, dreaming MIT ………

Four, I want to be at MIT

Five, I want to be at MIT

Six, I want to be at MIT

Seven, I want to be at MIT

Eight, I want to be at MIT

Nine, I want to be at MIT

Ten, I want to be at MIT

Eleven, I want to be at MIT

Twelve, I want to be at MIT

Thirteen, I want to be at MIT

.
    .
    .
    .
    .
    .
    .
    .
    .
    .
    .

Infinite, I want to be at MIT

And last but not the least, I WANT TO BE AT MIT.
    WHY DON’T YOU GET THAT.

urgh!!!!

15. Utkarsh says:

Aaah and one more thing hey Ben why aren’t you reading the applications one of them could be mine!!!!!!!!

Ok lets do it again

I love MIT

I love MIT

I love MIT

I love MIT

I love MIT

I love MIT

I love MIT

I love MIT

I love MIT

I love MIT

I love MIT

I love MIT

I love MIT

I love MIT

I love MIT

I love MIT

Yup! thank you

16. Melissa '11 says:

Sorry, I’m officially boycotting American Idol because it took the House slot for two weeks – when it had already been on a 6?-week haitus!

ED Applicant – 1) MIT is EA, not ED and 2) I believe MIT admissions officers have stated that EA doesn’t hurt your chances. It doesn’t have to be your top choice, and many people are deferred EA because they are not “shoo-ins” but are still good applicants.

Not that there’s such a thing as an MIT-shoo-in.

Or is it shoe-in? I don’t think I ever type that phrase…

Oh, no. Why is American Idol still on the air?

18. Solomon says:

Utkarsh, you really are a little too persistent.

19. Utkarsh says:

Solomon I know this,but I am persistent towards my goals. Well, how should I tell you, but if you ask me to stay naked for 1 month in serbia I can do that also, provided it leads me to my goal.You see the only thing my dad told me when I turned 14 was,”you have to shape your life with your unstoppable efforts”.I still remember the day when he asked me to step out of the car – it was snowing heavily, he gave me a 10 rupee note and challanged me to reach a city 50 kilometers away with that note.

20. ……everybody loves MIT as much as i do……..kewllllll!!!!!!!!!

21. Daniel says:

“Sorry, I’m officially boycotting American Idol because it took the House slot for two weeks – when it had already been on a 6?-week haitus!”

I agree completely! House is the best! =) American Idol is great and all, but come on… Is there anything more entertaining than the constant and contagious sarcasm of Dr. House?

22. nay house is good but simon’s comments are far more uhm “acidic/sarcastic” than houses’s. last week he totally lost it. i think only 2 got thru when 10000 had shown up in …. dont remember. still its good to know that people at mit do watch TV regularly smile

23. Deb August says:

Hey Ben,
    I, too, look forward to your posts and really enjoy your essays on the Admissions website–I tell applicants to read them so they know what we’re really like! How about using some of us EC’s as occasional guest authors?

24. iuseacane says:

I hate House. I stopped watching it as soon as he pulled out the cane. He doesn’t use his cane properly. HOW CAN YOU BE A DOCTOR AND NOT KNOW HOW TO USE A CANE.

Killed my suspension of disbelief.

Don’t waste your time, Utkarsh. International students can’t afford to be so hopeful/excited. 4%, ya’know…

26. Lee says:

Hello.
    I’m a Canadian highschool junior whose school offers no AP courses. I took SAT just to test my skills at the beginning of my junior year and received score of 590, 800, 520. My average is low 90s (top 1~2% in the grade). I also participate in University of Toronto’s Psychology mentorship program.

I know that most of the applicants of MIT has about at least 3 AP credits with them in their junior year before they submit their applications and I was wondering how many AP credits you would recommend I earn before submitting the applications? and how much chance do you think I would have at applying for MIT as my scores right now?
    Thanks for taking your time (sry I didn’t know where to post this lol)