Mar 17, 2006

Won’t Be Long Now…

Posted in: Process & Statistics

I've just finished assembling and sealing hundreds of packages with the rest of the admissions team. Not my favorite part of the job (I'm not the biggest fan of paper cuts) but it's rewarding in that it provides a bit of closure to an important part of the admissions cycle. It won't feel real until Mail Services comes to pick up the packages later today.

Matt likes to blog a picture of the mail folks leaving with the last of the packages, so check his blog later today for that. Then one of us will let you know when we have confirmation that all of the envelopes and packages have been processed by mail services and delivered to the US Postal Service.

While you wait for these updates, enjoy a few pics of me & Nance having some fun a few minutes ago. I wonder who the lucky applicant is who will receive my teeth marks in his/her package. :-)

Nice one Ben. Wow, thats a hell load of envelopes. Hopefully I will get one via DHL in a couple of days time.

Great work guys.

Mahul

Posted by: Mahul Patel on March 17, 2006

I got to see the packages...cool. I hope I get to see them again...up close:)

Posted by: Mushal on March 17, 2006

i won't mind teeth marks...;P

Posted by: Mushal on March 17, 2006

Wow! There are many envelopes ,I hope one of them is for me wink

I really admire you guys in the admission office, you are really concerned about your work and about us!

21 hours 52 minutes

Posted by: Juan Jhong Chung on March 17, 2006

Awesome job to all of the Admissions Committee! Thanks for making the process a really worthwhile journey. I love the lighthearted pics--it must be a relief to be done finally and catch up with quality time with family.

(And Ben, why aren't you wearing green? grin )

Posted by: Shen on March 17, 2006

WOW. Where is the international packages container? (Those which would be sent by DHL?)

Posted by: FJ on March 17, 2006

I'm getting one of those, right?

Posted by: 0 on March 17, 2006

great job Ben.. all I want is a big envelope with "MIT" in yellow letters written on it. Is that so much to ask for?

Posted by: yaz on March 17, 2006

Where's the bigger room filled with the rejection letters wink.

Posted by: Adnan Esmail on March 17, 2006

I loooooooovvvvvvvvveeeeeeee those big envelopes!

Posted by: Eugeniu on March 17, 2006

Cool pics Ben. Really I wouldn't even mind if you doodled on my application as long as it

Posted by: Fadl on March 17, 2006

its already past midnight here...can't stay up refreshing blog pages all night...I have school tomorrow. Good Night some ppl and Good Luck Every one!!!

Posted by: Mushal on March 17, 2006

Hey, which one iz for me ?

Posted by: Gunda Mastan on March 17, 2006

21 more agonizing hours... Somebody HELP... I can hardly breathe...

Posted by: Shontrash on March 17, 2006

oh man.. i think im going to be sick.

Posted by: the master of anon on March 17, 2006

haha nice pics!

now do u get to REST till next year starts? :]

Posted by: Phil on March 17, 2006

it seems like both of you are consciously hiding the receipients for the two acceptance letters you're holding (in the 2 last pics)

those look DELICIOUS to me.

Thanks for all the hard work!

Posted by: dan jang on March 17, 2006

I've never wanted an envelope so much in my life.

One of those better be addressed to me.

Posted by: Sam T on March 17, 2006

Hey Ben, thnx for the latest news! Man, saying u guys were awesome would still be an understatement. I am hoping that i get admitted.............but even if I cant make it, still i guess it wouldn't be that heartbreaking when I would consider that i have tried my best and u tried the best on your part to enroll the most suitable candidate for the Class of 2010.

Posted by: Raz on March 17, 2006

I love you guys! Even if my son doesn't get accepted, the experience of these last few months has been worth every moment. You have managed to make this process fun and human. It's wonderful to know that a prestigious school like MIT would take the time to communicate with us. Can't picture Yale doing that! And our family knows Yale well. This may be my last time blogging with you, and I will kind of miss it, but thank you all for everything. Maybe we will meet someday.

Posted by: Eastcoast Momma on March 17, 2006

Gimme one, gimme one!!!!!!!!!!!!

Posted by: 0 on March 17, 2006

Somehow, from past comments, I expected those packages to be bigger.

... Who am I kidding? I'd want one either way. =)

Now we know what to (or not to) expect. A little more than 20 hours left. Hang in there, everyone!

Posted by: Teck Lee on March 17, 2006

Thanks Mr. Jones =]

Posted by: gm on March 17, 2006

Must... get... yellow... letters... on... white... envelope...

Best of Luck to All Applicants! God Bless.

Posted by: Jean Atkin on March 17, 2006

One day left.

I can

Posted by: Felipe Jose Depine on March 17, 2006

My eyes just filled with tears for about ten seconds, and I can't really figure out why/for what specific reason/what sort of tears they were.

BUT I'M OKAY NOW.

My plan for tomorrow is to get up early and go through my usual Saturday routine (job shadowing at the hospital) trying my best not to think about anything. I'll leave the hospital around 12 to check my decision with FULL INTENT of returning to the hospital, regardless. This way there is no pre or post moping/freaking out; I have somewhere to be, after all! No time for that.

Best of luck, everyone. <3 I will be thinking about all of you tomorrow.

Posted by: Christina on March 17, 2006

Clarification: If I GET IN, I won't be returning to the hospital. smile

Posted by: Christina on March 17, 2006

AHHH!

Posted by: Tajah on March 17, 2006

I didn't even apply, and I still want an envelope.

Posted by: Anonymous on March 17, 2006

Congratulations on having the coolest college site on the universe.

Posted by: Potter on March 17, 2006

i second potter's comment!! smile

you guys rock!!! all of you!

Posted by: Flippy on March 17, 2006

YAY!! I zoomed in real close and I saw my name on the box on the table top on the far right.(wishful thinking). All the best to my fellow applicants.

Posted by: Dapo on March 17, 2006

Ben, whats happening to int'l DHL packages?

So... did they get sent?

Posted by: 0 on March 17, 2006

I have to work tommorrow, so I won't be able to check until tommorow night...I'm so nervous!

It's been said many times already, but thank you so much for all your hard work.

Posted by: Alexandre on March 17, 2006

WOW I cant believe the time has finally come it seems so unreal right now... Def will not be getting any sleep to night,its crazy thinking that I will not being going back to school till I know what my future may hold. CRAZY!!!! grin

Posted by: Molly on March 17, 2006

Ahh this is so exciting!!!

Haha and I already go here.

Posted by: Laura on March 17, 2006

Uh oh.

Maybe everyone should take a look at the link below. It was leaked from MIT this afternoon around 2:52pm. Ben: feel free to delete this comment if you think I'm crossing the line.

hmmm

http://img107.imageshack.us/img107/5053/ouch9vy.jpg

Posted by: 0 on March 17, 2006

I am so desperate to get one of those white envelopoe with yellow MIT on it.

Posted by: kishor on March 17, 2006

Laura you come from Oregon?

Posted by: 0 on March 17, 2006

Oh lord, I can't believe it. four longs months of waiting and it's almost here!

15 hours, 2 minutes

Posted by: Analiese on March 17, 2006

AHHHHHHHH =) my birthday is the 21st of March I hope i get an early birthday present!!!!! *wink wink nudge nudge* hehe. ^o~ yay! i can't wait!!

Posted by: Sara Rodriguez-Matos on March 17, 2006

I have classes tomorrow... so I'll just have to wait it out until I'm done... but I'm not going to kid myself into thinking I'll get one of the envelopes ;_;

I never commented before but I love the blog... it makes me feel better wheenver I read it =P

Posted by: me on March 17, 2006

I personally wouldn't mind if Ben chewed up my letter and spit it out, as long as it's an admit! This waiting is killing me, good luck to everyone. Until we know, Hakuna Matata!

Posted by: SoccerChick on March 17, 2006

haha @ sara rodriguez-matos: mine's tomorrow! raspberry

i feel the same haha

Posted by: Phil on March 17, 2006

I love the smell of fresh paper in the morning....well I do love the smell of paper for some reason. That and a burning fire.

Posted by: Scott on March 17, 2006

Good Luck everyone

Posted by: Good Luck everyone on March 17, 2006

Who the heck is that weirdo posting random comments on the blogs? He/she didn't even apply.

Posted by: ;) on March 17, 2006

I am so glad that these are being sent out on a weekend!

11 hours and 18 minutes! AHHHHHHHH!

Posted by: One more day! on March 17, 2006

Am I the only one checking at midnight just incase the computer messes up and releases decisions at AM instead of PM?

Posted by: Christina on March 17, 2006

I live in CA so I will check my decision page at 9am, but time seems to be conspiring against me, second....to se-cond....to se-c-o-nd...to s-e-c-o-n-d...t-o s-e-c-o-n-d...aww i only wasted one minute....sigh

It's funny how one saturday, at the same time all over the world, MIT applicants' lives will all be changed....It's not very funny, but just very....nervewrecking----

If I am on the outside wall of MIT, I hope those inside are happy and proud of their accomplishments...and If this is the last time I am on this blog thing, I thank you for everyone's whose ever posted a blog and made us (the outsider-currently) feel welcomed and take our mind deeper into MIT...and for those whose ever posted a comment, you guys and gals are awesome, and do not forget it....

with love to EVERY ONE

Nhien

Posted by: nhien on March 17, 2006

Wow I wrote a lot! i'm sorry...

Posted by: nhien on March 17, 2006

I REALLY hopd one of those is for me!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Posted by: Rodrigo on March 18, 2006

one for my friend please

Posted by: 0 on March 18, 2006

Ben- I wish to receive that teethed envelope...lolz

Posted by: danish on March 18, 2006

Has MIT taken the provisions to allow for 13,000 people to check admissions at the same time?

Posted by: 0 on March 18, 2006

I wish I could just shut down my mind for those seemingly endless hours.

Posted by: kishor on March 18, 2006

10 hours

Posted by: 0 on March 18, 2006

I want teeth marks, please?

You're awesome Ben!!

Posted by: Edward on March 18, 2006

Its good that you have written "MIT" on the packages with the colour of happiness.

I hope it would bring happiness for me

but it might not....

Anyway, thank you for keeping us updated

(and I won't mind teeth marks).

Posted by: Rupa on March 18, 2006

how long will it take for a DHL package to reach CA from MA?

Posted by: James on March 18, 2006

a dhl package will take enought time for u to go ride ur bike smile that wat i'm gonna do now :D

Posted by: oolho on March 18, 2006

I was admitted EA, and I love and worship my tube like nothing else.

But these pictures almost make me want an envelope. I mean, come on! How many people will be able to say, "So my acceptance letter to college had admissions officers' bite marks in it..."

It's a mark of endearment, almost...

Only not.

Okay. I think it's time I shut up about that.

I remember I was absolutely falling apart before I received my decision. Even so, I can't possibly imagine how some of you RA applicants feel. Good luck to all of you!

Posted by: thekeri on March 18, 2006

Good luck to all of you all!

Posted by: Krish on March 18, 2006

Not like it matters but I love it how the resolution on the picture is so low that you can zoom in and read the addresses..... Good strategy...

Posted by: 0 on March 18, 2006

My wife whispered into my ear five something this morning that our S has been rejected by MIT. While it had come as no surprise, I was still worried about his state of mind, this being his first rejection in his 17 years of existence, more than half of which in academic pursuit.

Somehow I already had a preminition of this would be the case as precipitated by a prior event. A couple of days ago my S checked on the status of his application and noted that his financial statement (my tax return, W2 form, etc) and application for financial aid was still listed as not received. I checked my record that I always keep and noted that the documents have been sent via certified mail in Feb. So somehow they fell through the crack.

Of course I'm being irrational as this non-receipt has nothing to do with the considerations that culminated in my S's rejection. But still I guess it's human nature to rationalize one's behavoir.

Anyway my purpose of the posting is not to bore you with details of the aftermath of the rejection, but rather to thank you and Nance for your pieces that help put this whole episode into perspective, as a kind of closure.

Deep in our hearts we know that you and your colleagues have done your best to pick the best match for MIT. And therein lies the operative word, best match, which in no way imputes on the academic capability, or the lack thereof, much less the future performance, of those in the rejection pool. And that's all anyone can ask for under the circumstances. And that's what I'm going to tell my S that he has tried his best.

And then we can all move on.

Posted by: Say-Chong Lee on March 19, 2006