MIT staff blogger Ben Jones

Won’t Be Long Now… by Ben Jones

Some pictures to tide you over.

I’ve just finished assembling and sealing hundreds of packages with the rest of the admissions team. Not my favorite part of the job (I’m not the biggest fan of paper cuts) but it’s rewarding in that it provides a bit of closure to an important part of the admissions cycle. It won’t feel real until Mail Services comes to pick up the packages later today.

Matt likes to blog a picture of the mail folks leaving with the last of the packages, so check his blog later today for that. Then one of us will let you know when we have confirmation that all of the envelopes and packages have been processed by mail services and delivered to the US Postal Service.

While you wait for these updates, enjoy a few pics of me & Nance having some fun a few minutes ago. I wonder who the lucky applicant is who will receive my teeth marks in his/her package. :-)

66 responses to “Won’t Be Long Now…”

1. Mahul Patel says:

Nice one Ben. Wow, thats a hell load of envelopes. Hopefully I will get one via DHL in a couple of days time.

Great work guys.

Mahul

2. Mushal says:

I got to see the packages…cool. I hope I get to see them again…up close:)

3. Mushal says:

i won’t mind teeth marks…;P

4. Wow! There are many envelopes ,I hope one of them is for me wink

I really admire you guys in the admission office, you are really concerned about your work and about us!

21 hours 52 minutes

5. Shen says:

Awesome job to all of the Admissions Committee! Thanks for making the process a really worthwhile journey. I love the lighthearted pics–it must be a relief to be done finally and catch up with quality time with family.

(And Ben, why aren’t you wearing green? grin )

6. FJ says:

WOW. Where is the international packages container? (Those which would be sent by DHL?)

I’m getting one of those, right?

8. yaz says:

great job Ben.. all I want is a big envelope with “MIT” in yellow letters written on it. Is that so much to ask for?

9. Adnan Esmail says:

Where’s the bigger room filled with the rejection letters wink.

10. Eugeniu says:

I loooooooovvvvvvvvveeeeeeee those big envelopes!

11. Fadl says:

Cool pics Ben. Really I wouldn’t even mind if you doodled on my application as long as it

12. Mushal says:

its already past midnight here…can’t stay up refreshing blog pages all night…I have school tomorrow. Good Night some ppl and Good Luck Every one!!!

13. Gunda Mastan says:

Hey, which one iz for me ?

14. Shontrash says:

21 more agonizing hours… Somebody HELP… I can hardly breathe…

15. oh man.. i think im going to be sick.

16. Phil says:

haha nice pics!

now do u get to REST till next year starts? :]

17. dan jang says:

it seems like both of you are consciously hiding the receipients for the two acceptance letters you’re holding (in the 2 last pics)

those look DELICIOUS to me.

Thanks for all the hard work!

18. Sam T says:

I’ve never wanted an envelope so much in my life.

One of those better be addressed to me.

19. Raz says:

Hey Ben, thnx for the latest news! Man, saying u guys were awesome would still be an understatement. I am hoping that i get admitted………….but even if I cant make it, still i guess it wouldn’t be that heartbreaking when I would consider that i have tried my best and u tried the best on your part to enroll the most suitable candidate for the Class of 2010.

20. I love you guys! Even if my son doesn’t get accepted, the experience of these last few months has been worth every moment. You have managed to make this process fun and human. It’s wonderful to know that a prestigious school like MIT would take the time to communicate with us. Can’t picture Yale doing that! And our family knows Yale well. This may be my last time blogging with you, and I will kind of miss it, but thank you all for everything. Maybe we will meet someday.

Gimme one, gimme one!!!!!!!!!!!!

22. Teck Lee says:

Somehow, from past comments, I expected those packages to be bigger.

… Who am I kidding? I’d want one either way. =)

Now we know what to (or not to) expect. A little more than 20 hours left. Hang in there, everyone!

23. gm says:

Thanks Mr. Jones =]

24. Jean Atkin says:

Must… get… yellow… letters… on… white… envelope…

Best of Luck to All Applicants! God Bless.

25. One day left.

I can

26. Christina says:

My eyes just filled with tears for about ten seconds, and I can’t really figure out why/for what specific reason/what sort of tears they were.

BUT I’M OKAY NOW.

My plan for tomorrow is to get up early and go through my usual Saturday routine (job shadowing at the hospital) trying my best not to think about anything. I’ll leave the hospital around 12 to check my decision with FULL INTENT of returning to the hospital, regardless. This way there is no pre or post moping/freaking out; I have somewhere to be, after all! No time for that.

Best of luck, everyone. <3 I will be thinking about all of you tomorrow.

27. Christina says:

Clarification: If I GET IN, I won’t be returning to the hospital. smile

I didn’t even apply, and I still want an envelope.

29. Potter says:

Congratulations on having the coolest college site on the universe.

30. Flippy says:

i second potter’s comment!! smile

you guys rock!!! all of you!

31. Dapo says:

YAY!! I zoomed in real close and I saw my name on the box on the table top on the far right.(wishful thinking). All the best to my fellow applicants.

32. Mahul Patel says:

Ben, whats happening to int’l DHL packages?

So… did they get sent?

34. Molly says:

WOW I cant believe the time has finally come it seems so unreal right now… Def will not be getting any sleep to night,its crazy thinking that I will not being going back to school till I know what my future may hold. CRAZY!!!! grin

Ahh this is so exciting!!!

Haha and I already go here.

Uh oh.

Maybe everyone should take a look at the link below. It was leaked from MIT this afternoon around 2:52pm. Ben: feel free to delete this comment if you think I’m crossing the line.

hmmm

http://img107.imageshack.us/img107/5053/ouch9vy.jpg

37. kishor says:

I am so desperate to get one of those white envelopoe with yellow MIT on it.

Laura you come from Oregon?

39. Analiese says:

Oh lord, I can’t believe it. four longs months of waiting and it’s almost here!

15 hours, 2 minutes

40. AHHHHHHHH =) my birthday is the 21st of March I hope i get an early birthday present!!!!! *wink wink nudge nudge* hehe. ^o~ yay! i can’t wait!!

41. James says:

how long will it take for a DHL package to reach CA from MA?

42. me says:

I have classes tomorrow… so I’ll just have to wait it out until I’m done… but I’m not going to kid myself into thinking I’ll get one of the envelopes ;_;

I never commented before but I love the blog… it makes me feel better wheenver I read it =P

43. SoccerChick says:

I personally wouldn’t mind if Ben chewed up my letter and spit it out, as long as it’s an admit! This waiting is killing me, good luck to everyone. Until we know, Hakuna Matata!

44. Phil says:

haha @ sara rodriguez-matos: mine’s tomorrow! raspberry

i feel the same haha

45. oolho says:

a dhl package will take enought time for u to go ride ur bike smile that wat i’m gonna do now :D

46. Scott says:

I love the smell of fresh paper in the morning….well I do love the smell of paper for some reason. That and a burning fire.

47. ;) says:

Who the heck is that weirdo posting random comments on the blogs? He/she didn’t even apply.

48. I am so glad that these are being sent out on a weekend!

11 hours and 18 minutes! AHHHHHHHH!

49. Christina says:

Am I the only one checking at midnight just incase the computer messes up and releases decisions at AM instead of PM?

50. nhien says:

I live in CA so I will check my decision page at 9am, but time seems to be conspiring against me, second….to se-cond….to se-c-o-nd…to s-e-c-o-n-d…t-o s-e-c-o-n-d…aww i only wasted one minute….sigh

It’s funny how one saturday, at the same time all over the world, MIT applicants’ lives will all be changed….It’s not very funny, but just very….nervewrecking—-

If I am on the outside wall of MIT, I hope those inside are happy and proud of their accomplishments…and If this is the last time I am on this blog thing, I thank you for everyone’s whose ever posted a blog and made us (the outsider-currently) feel welcomed and take our mind deeper into MIT…and for those whose ever posted a comment, you guys and gals are awesome, and do not forget it….

with love to EVERY ONE

Nhien

51. nhien says:

Wow I wrote a lot! i’m sorry…

52. thekeri says:

I was admitted EA, and I love and worship my tube like nothing else.

But these pictures almost make me want an envelope. I mean, come on! How many people will be able to say, “So my acceptance letter to college had admissions officers’ bite marks in it…”

It’s a mark of endearment, almost…

Only not.

Okay. I think it’s time I shut up about that.

I remember I was absolutely falling apart before I received my decision. Even so, I can’t possibly imagine how some of you RA applicants feel. Good luck to all of you!

53. Rodrigo says:

I REALLY hopd one of those is for me!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

one for my friend please

55. Krish says:

Good luck to all of you all!

56. danish says:

Ben- I wish to receive that teethed envelope…lolz

Has MIT taken the provisions to allow for 13,000 people to check admissions at the same time?

58. kishor says:

I wish I could just shut down my mind for those seemingly endless hours.

59. Edward says:

I want teeth marks, please?

You’re awesome Ben!!

Not like it matters but I love it how the resolution on the picture is so low that you can zoom in and read the addresses….. Good strategy…

61. Rupa says:

Its good that you have written “MIT” on the packages with the colour of happiness.

I hope it would bring happiness for me

but it might not….

Anyway, thank you for keeping us updated

(and I won’t mind teeth marks).

62. Alexandre says:

I have to work tommorrow, so I won’t be able to check until tommorow night…I’m so nervous!

It’s been said many times already, but thank you so much for all your hard work.

63. My wife whispered into my ear five something this morning that our S has been rejected by MIT. While it had come as no surprise, I was still worried about his state of mind, this being his first rejection in his 17 years of existence, more than half of which in academic pursuit.

Somehow I already had a preminition of this would be the case as precipitated by a prior event. A couple of days ago my S checked on the status of his application and noted that his financial statement (my tax return, W2 form, etc) and application for financial aid was still listed as not received. I checked my record that I always keep and noted that the documents have been sent via certified mail in Feb. So somehow they fell through the crack.

Of course I’m being irrational as this non-receipt has nothing to do with the considerations that culminated in my S’s rejection. But still I guess it’s human nature to rationalize one’s behavoir.

Anyway my purpose of the posting is not to bore you with details of the aftermath of the rejection, but rather to thank you and Nance for your pieces that help put this whole episode into perspective, as a kind of closure.

Deep in our hearts we know that you and your colleagues have done your best to pick the best match for MIT. And therein lies the operative word, best match, which in no way imputes on the academic capability, or the lack thereof, much less the future performance, of those in the rejection pool. And that’s all anyone can ask for under the circumstances. And that’s what I’m going to tell my S that he has tried his best.

And then we can all move on.